Mutants & Masterminds: Harmony City - Red Team: The Visitor

Dawn OOC

The Moronic Morphing Master swam through the ocean depths like a bird might take to the sky. Ditto was used to his body taking on all sorts of shapes as he mimicked the powers of various heroes and villains the world over, a quick shift into a mermaid did little to hamper his his enthusiasm.

"I can show you the world..." He swam up close and serenaded Vixen, clasping her hands and spinning her about in the water before swimming off.

"...shining, shimmering, splendid..." Tess was next as he swam loops around before meeting her face to face, batting his eyelashes and gripping his hands to his heart in a melodic expression of his love for the emotionally defunct extra dimentional space alien college student, uh, thingy.

He slipped up behind Dwarfstar, reached around and copped a feel at his sea shell support. "...tell me Princess, when did you last let your heart decide..."

Fearing violent retaliation he quickly swam away from Dwarfstar snickering as he did so. He was pretty sure that 'smothering Ditto in his sleep' was somewhere on his 'to do' list.

"Uh, that's not from The Little Mermaid," Vixen corrected him. She was shaking her head a bit, her consoling of Thirty-One cut short by her partners Tomfoolery. "That's from Aladdin, it's this other film that - well, they sing, but it's all sandy and not under the - you know what, keep singing, it's all good."

With a spectacular array of swimming tricks (that convinced some that this may not have been his first trip under water) he continued to horse about in the water, keeping close to the group but obviously not paying much attention to what was going on around them.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tesseract struggled a bit to master the movement of swimming with a tail. The ease with which Ditto used it was only a further irritant.

"There must be easier ways to do this," she muttered to herself. Then she said more loudly, "It's too dark down here to see clearly. We'll have to swim closer to those lights before I can teleport us safely."

Awkwardly flapping her fluke, she swam down towards those strange lights down below.

It was there to watch. It was there to guard. It wasn't sure about much else, but those two orders had been burned into its mind. Literally, even. It had once been something else, but how it was This. And This was noticing things entering its territory.

Commands that had been irrevokably made a part of This were now being twitched, and This pushed up off the ocean floor. Waves of sonar proceeded it, the only active warning as it rose from below.

Click to reveal..
Anyone who can hear sonar waves can make a Notice check to hear them.

Everyone can make another Notice check (those with sonar get two), this one visually based. Please post the results in the combat thread.

The team quickly noticed the thing rising toward them. It was massive, and it covered the lights below them. Their minds couldn't make sense of the shape, of what it was, but their hindbrains knew it was bigger than them... a lot bigger.

• 4 weeks later...

Dwarfstar’s attack lit up the water, and for a moment, their opponent. For a second, they saw the flash of light from the Cosmic Energy Blast reflect of lots and lots of teeth in a mouth the width of the bus. Just after he did that, the water around the creature began to heat up; though Thirty-one’s face was pale with fear, he was standing his ground and fighting.

Ditto copied the creature – and found himself growing and swelling with size. More limbs exploded from his body, and for a moment, he thought he was a giant octopus. But he had a huge mouth, filled with lots and lots of teeth. After a moment, he realized he was some strange amalgamation of octopus and shark.

Tessa’s fingers fly, collecting data about the creature before them, just as Ditto mimics it. She learned that it had certain qualities, as well as weighing forty thousand pounds. You could make a lot of shark fin soup and calamari from this guy…

Vixen focused her will, and the water around the octoshark flickered oddly… and became solid stone. For a moment, the creature sank, then the stone cracked and shattered, falling away from the creature.

Click to reveal..
Octoshark’s Toughness vs Dwarfstar: Success

XXXI’s Will Save: Success

XXXI’s Attack: 19, raising the temp of the water around the creature

Octoshark’s reflex vs DC 19: Failure

Octoshark’s Strength to break free of the Snare vs DC 19: Success

• 2 weeks later...

Dwarfstar hit, but his golden light rolled off the Octoshark’s hide and dispersed harmlessly in the water. The massive creature turned toward him, clearly ready to attack. Thirty-one, largely useless in the water, continued to try to boil the creature, but this was taking some time to make work.

Ditto shot forward with his nifty new water-jetting ability and slammed into the creature’s side, his massive mouth closing around stiff flesh. It twisted around and tried to grab him, but his eight tentacles wrapped it tightly in an unbreakable grip. The creature thrashed, but Ditto tightened his grip, and it went limp.

To the others, the writhing mass of tentacles ran together, until it was impossible to tell one from the other. Vixen held her strike, unsure who she was going to hit.

Tessa held ready to get anyone in danger out of the way.

Click to reveal..
Octoshark’s Fort Save vs. 18: Success

XXXI’s attempts to raise the temp of the water more: Success

Octoshark’s Toughness Save vs. Ditto’s attack DC 26: FAILURE, Stunned and Bruised

Vixen’s attempt to spot which is Ditto vs. DC 97: Failure

• 2 weeks later...

"For chrissake Ditto, change your color or something!" shouted Dwarfstar as he flung another energy blast towards the one on the right, not knowing who he will hit. Luck was not on his side today; his beam hit what he thought was the monster, but the creature writhed and became their ally, Ditto. As he fell away limply, Tessa saw her chance. With an action as fast as thought, she teleported their hurt friend away from the fight.

Vixen reacted herself, transforming massive amounts of water into solid rock. The rock slammed into the monster, but his spongy mass gave before the rock and it simply dropped off to the side. With an angry sound, the creature turned on the closet target: XXXI. His jaws snapped shut around the much smaller man, and when it spat him out, he was limp and unmoving.

Click to reveal..
Spot checks vs. DC lots

Dwarfstar – Fail

Vixen – Fail

Dwarfstar’s attack: Hit on Ditto, Fort save vs. 25

1d2=2

[Carver] 2:46 pm: Someone pick even or odd.

[Asarasa] 2:46 pm: odd

Ditto’s save vs. 25: 18, Failure by 7: Bruised and Stunned, -1 penalty

1d20+16=18

XXXI’s attempt to heat water: 15

1d20+5=15

Ditto is stunned and reverts to his Vixen-given form; Tessa teleports him away from the monster.

Octoshark attacks XXXI, DC 16: Success

1d20+12=27

XXXI’s Save vs. 26: Failure by 5, Bruised, Injured and Stunned, -2 penalty

Octoshark’s Toughness vs DC 24: Succeed by 4

• 2 months later...

Following Tess' advice Dwarfstar 'ports a reasonable distance away, and closer to the surface but still within the water.

Staggered and stunned Ditto wavered about in the water not really realizing what had happened for a moment there... he probably would've been okay, but the sudden teleportation after the impact sent his senses into a slight 'wait, what just happened' sort of vertigo. "I think I'm gonna ralph..."

XXXI remained still, but he started to move somewhat as he recovered.

"Tess, get XXXI over here! I'll see what I can do for him and Ditto." Vixen shouted. Her healing took effect on Ditto who sized up the situation.

"Okay... so that's all I got... anyone got a plan B? I do requests ya know!"

Plan B. Tesseract tried to think, but the flesh she wore got in the way. It was hard to hear her own mind over the hammer of blood and the primitive wail of terror from the amygdala. All she could come up with was that this thing was too BIG to get rid of. Too massive to dimensionally shift, and to large to fit into her associated closed spacetime. She was helpless. Normally she'd look for objects to teleport over it...but the vicosity of water made that tactic ineffective.

And that's when it hit her. The answer was all around them.

"Everyone grab onto something!" she called out urgently, "Or start swimming away from the creature!"

A moment later a little over one ton of water vanished without a trace. The surrounding water immediately rushed inward, tugging everything around towards that now-filled vacuum. Fortunately, the volume affected wasn't too terribly large, so the suction was only momentary. It seemed that whatever Tess had tried to do hadn't worked.

But she wasn't done yet.

High up in the atmosphere, a little over a ton of water appeared from nowhere, displacing air with a thundercrack no one was around to hear. It then began to do two things...freeze, and fall.

Under the sea, she stood still, eyes shut, concentrating all her mass-detecting senses on that tiny clump of descending density...waiting for it to reach terminal velocity. It took nearly six seconds to do so.

And then, about one ton of ice and water vanished from the sky.

...and reappeared directly over the creature under the sea, retaining all of its momentum. The energy from the rapidly moving water immediately dispersed into the surrounding ocean in the form of a spreading concussion wave that struck the monster with the force of a hammer the size of a jet airplane. It attenuated swiftly as it expanded, fortunately, thus sparing the humanoids a bone-shattering fate.

The monster could not move away. For a moment, it seemed hurt, but it was not fazed. It struck in turn at Tesseract, lunging and jaws fastened with tremendous force.

When Tess was released, blackness shrouded her knocked-out mind.

Click to reveal..
(19:59:52)

Vixen's Medicine check: DC 15- Success

Vixen's Medicine roll (1d20+10=23).

Monster DC 20 Reflex: Failed

(Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 5.

(20:00:00) (Harmony_GM): that was reflex

5+0 = 5.

Monster DC 25 Fortitude Save: Success

(20:00:11) (Harmony_GM): now to fortitude: DC 25

(20:00:19) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 10.(20:01:59)

16+10-1 = 25.

(Harmony_GM): Monster Attack on Tesseract:

DC 21: Success

(20:02:03) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 13.

13+12= 25.

Tess' Toughness save vs. DC 27 - Failed by 15, Unconscious.

(20:08:30) (Harmony_GM): Tess toughness:

(20:08:34) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 5.

5+7 = 12.

Dwarfstar lobbed another blast at the creature, but the shot passed just above the creature harmlessly. XXXI struck with a blast of energy fire that hit the water beast, but the great blow was shrugged off with ease.

Getting an idea, Ditto matched XXXI, gaining the surge of fire as well.

Vixen swam over to Tess and awoke her with a shock of healing, making Tesseract slowly awake.

The thing plunged toward XXXI and Ditto, but was trying to be more threatening than attacking.

Click to reveal..

Dwarfstar attacks:

(12:50:42) ChatBot: (Dwarfstar) rolls 1d20 and gets 8.+8 = 16

Damage rating of blast = 10

Miss.

XXI attacks with Fire Blast

(09:49:51) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 14.

(09:50:29) (Harmony_GM): Toughness save for Oct-Shark at DC 32

(09:50:35) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 19.

(09:51:12) (Harmony_GM): wow

19 + 16 -1 = 34 > 32. Pass.

Oct-Shark passes.

Vixen's Med roll: Medicine Roll (1d20+10=21)

Tess wakes back up. She's now conscious.

Octo-Shark moves closer to Ditto and XXXI, but not going to strike yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Dwarfstar fired off another energy blast at the creature, continuing to make not a dent in the tough hide it had. XXXI and Tesseract waited, preparing if the beast made a move. Vixen entrapped it in stone, broken as easily as if was made of twinkies.

But as it opened it's mouth, Ditto shot forward and into the beast's gullet, surprising all involved, including the monster. But then, Ditto's mimicked fire burst inside it.

It could not continue, the pain was intense, burning... Its eyes closed, mouth opened allowing Ditto to get out. The octo-shark floated in the water, still and sinking...

Click to reveal..

Dwarfstar Cosmic Energy Attack:

(19:02:37) (Harmony_GM): rolling for Dwarfstar to save time

(19:02:42) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 18.

(19:02:58) (Harmony_GM): 18+8= 26 SUCCESS

(19:04:34) (Harmony_GM): damage DC: 31

(19:04:47) (Harmony_GM): damage DC: 25

(19:04:52) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 17.

(19:05:02) (Harmony_GM): Toughness is SUX

Vixen's Transform attack:

Transform Attack (Snare.) Transform Power Level 9, so DC 19 vs. Reflex (I think) (1d20+8=27)

Octo-shark: (19:07:16) ChatBot: (Harmony_GM) rolls 1d20 and gets 16.

Octo-shark is caught, but uses a Standard action to break out.

Ditto uses his ready action to shoot in, and we can assume the nasty internal burns overwhelm the creature. Combat over!

Tessaract watched the body of the beast spiral slowly downards and looked at her hands.

"I lacked the ability to harm it," she said. "If I had encountered it alone, my only option would have been to bypass it entirely and move directly to the building."

After a moment's consideration, she added, "I may be the product of underestimating the scale of phenomenon happening here."

Swiftly Ditto swam up from the immense hole blown in the side of the beast and back to his companions in his own form once again.

"Aw, buck up guys, we won, that's all that matters." He winked to the ladies. "You two did great, and I owe ya my hide." His face contorted into a red headed T.V. personality. "But, hey, let's face it. When it comes to deep sea battles with us," He slid a dark pair of sunglasses over his eyes slowly. "Mr. Octoshark just couldn't take the heat."

He reared hi shead back suddenly and screamed, "Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"

Dwarfstar contemplates his own lack of usefullness as he replies to Tess, "I wouldn't worry about it Tess, at least you did something useful helping Ditto out. I couldn't affect it at all myself, and I hit Ditto by mistake when he had duplicated it."

His moment of introspection distracted by Ditto's antics he turns to the group and continues, "Well, Ditto's right, we got past the thing so let's go see what it was guarding?"

Tessaract swam down to the spot Vixen was hovering near and pressed her face to the smooth glass of the porthole. She couldn't SEE through it, but she sensed the presence of mass there. There was a spot farther in where that presence dropped to a level consistent with open air. It wasn't much to go on, but it was likely enough.

"Yes," she reported. "There will only be a small risk of collision on re-entry. Stand by."

Before that 'small risk' comment could do more than start to register, Tess was opening the rift, and sweeping everyone into the structure!

(Dimensional Pocket to scoop folks up, then teleport in, then let them out of the Pocket.)

Almost immediately, everyone flopped on the ground as they found that the water had disappeared, and they landed on a polished stone floor of dark rock. Air burst into their lungs, and they saw intricately precise designs on the walls, beatiful and somehow hard to fully comprehend as the designs seemed to blur and shift color.

Around them lay some strange long sticks, glowing many different shades and hues of color. A inset wall of stone blocked the way out, but when they moved toward it, it opened into the ceiling.

The vast room beyond was filled with more designs and great tubes rising from the floor. Many were dim, shattered and broken, but a few at the end were glowing brightly, with figures inside.

[salmonMax's new char and Eight are now ready to go, but they are stuck in their tubes, prisoners.]

"Pfuh." With a wave of her hand, Vixen canceled the spell, returning everyone to normal. She stood, shaking seawater out of her fur.

She looked around, at the shattered tubes, and slowly walked towards the ones with occupants still in them. "Thirty-One... were you in one of these?"

Tessaract looked around, her brows drawn in, in an expression of faint puzzlement. Slowly she raised the little black device she had a hold on.

(Scanning area for super powers, omitting known PC's.)

She began to move through the room checking the device every few steps, but also looking for anything looked like a control panel or computer.

"Haaaaaaaawk Ptoo!" Ditto spat a salt water loogy of impossible size onto the floor. "Peeps, like fo' rizzle, we need like a super jet or secret sub or something. There's gotta be a easier way to get around."

As they did their thing the rather uneducated and unintelligent Ditto began wandering about, captivated by the large capsules. He whistled. "Creeeeeeeep-y."

He pressed this and that as he walked by, and toggled any levers from up to down and vice versa as he saw them. "What do you guys think all this fancy science stuff is for? I wonder if they get H.B.O. with all this stuff."

Ironically, there was not anything that seemed like a device or technology in the room. XXXI glanced and Ditto and muttered, "Science? The Others said that the Symbols kept this place warmed with heat and light. At least I overheard them saying that..." he pointed to the designs on the wall.

The Magnanimous Master of Mimicry stopped playing with things that weren't there. "Guys, tell me when I'm playing with imaginary things next time, would ya? Geez..."

With super enhanced, below average, just about the norm for regular human speed he raced up to the glyphs. Guys! I think I found something! Vixy, take a look at this."

• 2 weeks later...

On hearing that the place runs on Magic Dwarfstar loses interest in anything but the occupied tubes and watching for an attack that could come from anywhere.

Reaching the nearest tube he peers inside, wiping the surface to get a better look calling to XXXI as he does so, "I guess you just got out of your tube and blasted out as quick as you could? No idea who or what might be in these tubes?"

XXXI shook his head. "No. They had some way of making the outer tubes permeable. We could move out when they wanted us out. But..." as he pointed and led the group to the remaining tubes at the end, "they've left a couple people behind."

As the group approached, their eyes got drawn to one tube in particular, holding... Lady Harmony? Or someone that looked like Lady Harmony.

XXXI grew excited and tapped on the material of the tube. "Eight! They didn't take you?" he called excitedly.

The woman XXXI spoke to indeed looked very much like Lady Harmony. As soon as he spoke to her she opened her eyes as if she was awaken from some kind of slumber. Her hands pushed against the inner wall of the tube and she looked at XXXI and the others with a mixture of curiousity and reserved caution. She didn’t know who they were but if XXXI was with them they seemed to be nice people.

Her mouth moved but there was no voice attached to it but she didn’t seem to notice or know that they couldn’t hear her.

Click to reveal..
If there are any experts proficient at lipreading – she asks „What is going on, XXXI? Where are all the others and who are these people?“ / Eight is naked – just like you’ve found XXXI and she looks like a perfect twin of Lady Harmony

Tessaract looks up from her device and moves towards the tubes.

"The ones in the tubes are associated with higher-order anomalies," she reported. "It's likely they have superhuman abilities."

She looked around. "There must be some kind of information about what they did here. Thirteen...do you remember how they stored information? Did they keep it in written form? Did they have computers or something similar?"

Ditto peered up into the tanks as the one line explanation extravaganza continued on unnoticed by him. Whomever this chick was she was smokin'. He pressed his face to the glass of the tank, it flattened almost impossibly so and his eyes blinked at her a few times. Ear to ear his malleable visage spread and a toothy smile formed while his bulging eyes peered downward into the tank.

His face pried off with an audible 'pop'. "Guys, this lady needs our help! Quick, someone find me a key, a sledgehammer, a pry bar, and a cold shower! STAT!"

Tess's deadpan expression stopped his ramblings in their tracks. "What?"

She just glared.

"The fact that she's naked and stacked has nothing to do with this..." He reddened up and thumbed to the tanks. "Okay, I'm lying... how do we crack these nuts open?"

Eight watched Ditto with a mixture of innocence and curiousity and even laughed when his face pried off the glass of her tube. She kept watching him and his friends either totally oblivious of her nakedness or not feeling any shame. Her eyes wandered to XXXI and she gave him a quizzical look, as if to ask him what was going on?

"Don't make me turn you into a mermaid again." Vixen looked up at the tube, trying to avoid making eye contact with various parts of Eight's body. She then looked around for some kind of release mechanism - no, she corrected herself with an internal sigh, some kind of release-glyph or pentagram-binding or other magical gobbledegook.

Archived