Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Combat Tracker "The Mutants strike back"

Joani

Please add your Initiative scores in this thread. I'll update it here and we determine who goes first etc.

Don't forget to add your score and turn in [brackets] on your combat posts. Thank you.

PS: Please post in order of Initiative - even if it means to wait for someone who hasn't posted yet. Any ooc-questions can be added directly in this thread and will be discussed here. I want to keep the Table Talk thread clear of combat discussions.

Initiative

Adrian Init 19

Travis Init 14

May Init 13

Sam Init 12

Kevin Init 10

• 2 weeks later...

ok - I try to clarify -

You are in a two-way gangway. Initially you've been surrounded by 4 robots (2 from each side). You cleared 2 of them to your backs and have 2 left dashing towards you. You can either kill those or fall back. Falling back means down a long gang until you find another intersection or an actual room.

The interior design is similar to the ship you've been on after your abduction.

Kevin's current FF has a soak of 9B/9L, if that's not enough to keep the majority of the attacks at bay, he'll push himself, but he doesn't want to, because he only has 1 strong FF, for a limited amount of time, before he's out of the game.

Here's to hoping.

You keep saying that Kevin's FF is holding off the attacks, so I'm going to assume it's strong enough. And if it's currently strong enough, I guess I don't need the numbers...

... but you said you'd post them and they're not there yet (just thought I'd bring that to your attention)

Ok, question (because I've never actually dealt with heavy artillery before). The number in brackets is auto-dmg vs. a human sized target. Does that mean that you roll 15d10 and it deals 10dmg or suxx rolled, whichever is more? It doesn't count as a dmg add, just as a lower limit, correct?

its a damage add, and its the first to go when figuring soak. Travis does 8 levels and 8 dice of damage from a blast. A target with 5 lethal soak takes 3 levels plus whatever comes up on the dice. The same applies to heavy weapons, vehicular weapons, etc etc etc

I know that that's the way it works with Q-Powers, because it's stated as a dmg add. However, in the Heavy weapons list, it's listed as autodmg, which could mean that it's a min dmg.

If it is as you stated (which I hope it's not), then it makes no sense that Kevin's 9B/L soak FF would do effectively anything against those weapons (because each character would still be taking 15d10 + 1dmg, which is pretty much instantly lethal to all but the tanks of the group), much less stop them (as Joani has narrated them doing, and they have done in the past).

So, no offense jameson, but I'd like to get Joani's official take on this.

Ok - two things - the damage in Brackets works like Jameson stated. I think it is generally defined as DMG add like with every other power, too.

Second - I read your sheet wrong and was assuming your total soak was your FF - but it is of course your FF + your 'natural' soak cumulated. I'm sorry about that slip but I won't retcon the combat now. +slaps himself+

Just to keep things flowing - Kevin will know that his FF only absorbs about half their damage potential. The robots have missed on their attack rolls most of the time (I'm a miserable diceroller as ST - always been).

And lastly to clarify - the FF does reduce a lot of the damage which they can inflict - the rest would still be reduced by the PCs own soak that's getting hit and then I would have to roll for the rest of the dice. So basically it is still lethal but not instant if I look at the other sheets in general. Kevin should be able to heal those who luck out on their soak in the case I have a good roll.

I'm sorry for this slip of mine - I should have looked better at your stats.

For Kevin himself, though he's built as a healer/tank, he would only be able to soak 8 of the 15d10 before they started doing damage. Of course, if he were at full health, he could take one full powered hit before dying... but still... that that's a damage add, to me, is completely ridiculous.

Enough of my rant, I will now quietly submit myself to the ruling of the GM...

After I point out that with the way everything is set up, even with a full 5 quantum and a full 5 ranks of FF it would be impossible to fully protect against a single attack; there'd still be 5d10 (still significant damage to a character with regular soak and no extra HL's... about 1/2 to 1/3 way to dead, even with a lethal soak of 2 or 3).

Now for the quiet submission.

Alright - after a nights sleep I retouched the robots stats "nerfing" them to the kind of lethality I was looking for.

I think now everything should be "ok" and in tune with how I portrayed them.

updates in the NPC section of course.

Archived