Aberrant: Stargate Universe - [AU] Handling the Heat [Complete]

[This is an alternate fiction that explores the reality where Olivia and Vinny didn't have their epic misunderstanding. Instead, they actually have to deal with one another. This is considered an alternate ending to and continuation of Too Hot To Handle]

"Lov- Ah, damn it," Liv sighed as she hung up. It didn't matter, he'd be here soon enough, and then she could tell him. No, nix that, she'd just show him, over and over, in every way she could manage. The thought made her grin softly. At this point, she almost didn't care about winning their bet, she just wanted him here. Almost - she still intended to fight him for it. She wandered to the hand-me-down couch in the living room, her mind already coming ahead to the anticipated arrival of her boyfriend. She lay down and as she drifted off, her mind sleepily contemplating her approaching boyfriend.

Knocking on the door woke her up, and Liv blinked, looking at the clock. Six in the evening; she'd been a sleep for a while. Stretching, she lazily meandered toward the door - until she realized it might be Vinny. An eager smile lit up her face, and she dashed to the door, not checking the peephole. She wished she had when she saw Bill. "What the fuck? How'd you find this place?" she growled.

"One of your co-workers told me. Don't close the door, please," Bill said, spreading his hands. "I come in peace."

"You'll leave in pieces if Vinny finds you here," she snarled. Now I have to bitch out a co-worker. Wonder if he'll say which one...

"Wow, so that was true." Bill jammed his hands in his pockets and looked down. "Congrats. I mean that."

Liv's suspicious frown didn't waver. "No offense, but I'm not sure I believe that."

"Can I come in and sit down?" he asked. "I... I'd rather not do this on your front step."

"Sorry, no," she said, holding the door closed. "Say what you wanted to say and go." After what he'd done, this was the best he was getting from her.

He nodded and though he looked disappointed, he didn't try to avoid it. "I was a douche," he said softly. "I'm sorry, Liv. I... the heat made me crazy, but that's not an excuse. Ashley told me you'd found someone else, and I realized that I'd fucked up completely at that point. And then I realized I deserved to have you leave me. And I felt that I had to come and tell you that I'd be ok with being friends, maybe some day." He swallowed, and with visible effort, he added, "I hope you and the lucky guy are happy together."

Liv smiled. She knew Bill; he was being sincere. For the first time since they'd met, he seemed to be trying to change. "Thanks," she said nodding. "It's good to hear you say that."

"I'd better be going," he said, looking awkward. "See you around, right?"

"Yeah," she agreed. "In a few weeks, call me. We can maybe hang out."

"Is that when I get to meet the new man in you life?" he asked.

"Oh," Livy said, smirking a little. "You already have. Later, Bill." And with that same smirk, she shut the door on his face. Alone again, she went back out to the balcony, taking a seat where she could see people approaching the building. She started to read her paperback, but she paused suddenly and put a hand on her stomach. "Daddy will be home soon," she said, trying it on. It fit, somehow, and Liv felt a rush of pure joy. "He'll be here, and then we'll all be together again," she added, grinning goofily.

Vinny had gotten lucky at SeaTac. He had managed to convince a charter jet pilot to get him out early along with the guy's cargo. It had cost him an outrageous amount of money for the co-pilot's seat, but it was worth it to get to Cali.

Wanting to surprise her, he hadn't called ahead. He had the address, he had figured that a taxi could get him there easy and with minimal headaches.

The cabbie dropped him off at the corner, and quickly unloaded the luggage. Vin pulled out his wallet and pulled a crisp bill out. The hindi took the offered Benjamin with a large grin. "Thanks man! You're awesome!" he said in heavily accented English staring at the bill.

"Fuckin' take your lady someplace nice." Vinny answered as he shut the trunk and picked up his bags. Nothing could ruin his stellar mood right now...nothing.

He pulled out the scrap of paper that held the address of their new place as he scanned around, looking to confirm the address. Finding that he was just around the corner from the building, he hefted his bags and started walking briskly, eager to eat some Granola.

Vinny was looking up at the building that was to be his new home, admiring the height and architecture of the place as he rounded the corner, wondering if there was room on the apartment balconies to perform what was going through his imagination, nevermind the exposure.

Ah, there's my spicy Granola. Must still feel like shit, holdin' her stomach like that...is she cryin? Too fuckin' far.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" He yelled, directing his voice up at her, "NO PARADE?"

Her paperback hit the floor of the balcony as Liv jumped to her feet. Leaning out over the railing, she waved and then blew him kisses, laughing as she did. She was also keenly aware that he'd just missed Bill, which would have been awkward and might have lead to some unfortunate conflict. She didn't want to have to deal with that, and was just as happy the timing had gone her way.

"That's what happens when you don't call, you don't write!" she shouted back, straightening as she became aware of the railing pushing against her belly. Sorry! thought, directing downward, knowing she was being silly. "Get your ass up here!"

He started for the stairs and she turned, running through the apartment to meet him outside, on the landing. She didn't give him time to drop his bags; she had her arms around his waist that fast.

Until she held him in her arms, she didn't realize how afraid she'd been that he wouldn't make it. The plane could have crashed, he could have come to his senses - any number of things, but he was here, and that was what mattered.

"Take it, that means you're not feelin' shitty?" He asked with a smirk as he wrapped his arms around her.

Her only response was to squeeze him harder, and they both stood there for a quiet moment, reveling in a love reunited after an arduous separation. Soon though, the warm feeling of the reunion faded for Vinny and the very real effect she had on his body came slamming back into control.

He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back a bit to stare into her eyes, his own a little wide with drastically dilated pupils. "Now darlin', about that goddamn wager." he said, "Bout fuckin' time we settle it. Smurfs would be fuckin' jealous of my balls right now."

The induced lust on his face said that if something didn't happen soon, the man was going to break...literally.

"Well, then," Liv chuckled softly, "let's get inside." She reached for the smallest bag, hoping it was the lightest, too. She turned and led the way back to their apartment, purposefully putting a little bit of sway into her hips as she walked. She could almost feel his eyes on her ass as she entered the living room and dropped her bag. Turning, she looked around and asked, "What do you think?"

"Nice," he said, without looking at anything. He dropped the bags and got the door shut before crossing the room and bending low for the kiss they'd both been wanting. The simple greeting escalated rapidly, becoming a frenzied dance of hands and lips, touches and kisses. Only one thing could have distracted Liv at this moment, and that was the question of when and how to tell him.

Would he want to know before they had sex again, so that he knew before he committed to her again? Or after, so that he could focus on it instead of the state of his balls? She was getting nervous about it, now that the moment was here. Would he be willing to stick around for her, for them? She didn't think he was the kind of guy to flake out, but this wasn't exactly what he'd agreed to when she left Kuwait. He was steering her toward the bedroom, and their shirts were already gone. He was still displaying some control; she could feel him targeting her favorite spots, trying to break her first. It was having an effect and she shuddered against him. Moaning, she muttered, "Do you want my big news now or after?"

Liv sighed, her good mood disappearing faster than snow in June. That reply didn't give her much hope that he'd take this well. She was so glad to have him back, but his bags were still packed, and he could turn around and walk out. It'd be a lot easier than staying. She caught his face in her hands and held it as she gave him a long, hungry kiss, hoping it wasn't the last. She was somber as she ended the kiss and met his eyes.

"Then it can't wait," she said, a little bluntly, gently and reluctantly pulling back from him until they were in a loose hug. As he blinked at her, his thoughts slowly processing her statement and matching it with what he'd just said, she added, "And I didn't used to be a guy. So, yeah."

She waited for his response, afraid, prepared for a rant about trapping him or him just storming off. She kept her arms around him lightly, willing to hold him but prepared to let him pull away.

She had to be joking. This must be a ploy. There must be some devious plan behind this. He had seen her taking the 'pill' on more than one occasion.

He stood there in deadpan shock for over an agonizing 30 seconds that stretched into eternity for Olivia before he seemed to snap back.

"You are fucking kidding me right?"

When he looked down into her eyes, her look made it quite clear that she wasn't.

"Gumby fuckin' Pokey in a goddamn fryin' pan! Gonna be a father? I'm gonna be a father! How...I mean...you...we...the pill...Need to sit down." Vinny blurted as he flopped to the floor where he was.

"Yeah," she said softly, "that was my reaction too." He's still here. The relief that she felt that he hadn't just run was like having a squeezing hand removed from her throat. It was so encompassing that it took her mind a moment to realize that he'd used the f-word. Not the curse word, but the one that told her that even if they didn't remain a couple, she wouldn't do this alone. He'd take some responsibility.

"Certain antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control," she said, folding her legs and sitting down in front of him. "Apparently, when taking the broad spectrum rifampicin, it's recommended to use alternate forms of birth control. In Kuwait, they don't advise women about this when they prescribe it. For all the obvious reasons, such as being a repressed country and every sperm is sacred, all that jazz." Her dark eyes studied him, letting him work through this on his own.

See, Baby, it's going to be ok, she thought downward, her hand unconsciously moving to rest over her stomach again. At least somewhat ok. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but we'll manage somehow. She wasn't sure what she would have done had he left; she wasn't sure she could have done this alone.

She waited, trying to be patient, trying to not hold her breath as she sought his reaction. Or rather, his reaction once he'd passed the shock.

"Okay...pregnant...that's cool...got money...no problem there." Vinny said, talking as much to himself as Olivia as he skipped ahead in time to the ramifications of this bit of news. "Gonna finish school right? Of fuckin' course, parents would fillet her ass. Need a bigger place...supplies, babies need shit right?"

All of a sudden he stopped and looked at her. "You're keeping it right?"

So he was definitely helping her out, at least in some ways. Money was good, a better place was good and supplies were excellent. She didn't want him to think that she was laughing at him, but a bemused smile crossed her face as he questioned her about school and baby supplies. She nodded at each questioning 'right?' to let him know that he was on the right path, mostly. He was so lost but trying so hard, and it was kinda cute. Not that she'd ever tell him that. If she did mention this moment to him later, she'd definitely find a better word than 'cute'.

Then he threw her a curve ball. "I... hadn't considered not," she confessed, clearly startled by his last question. "I mean... I just figured out yesterday, and I wanted you here first, but..." She let her voice trail off as she considered how to tell him she was already talking to it - making promises, even - without sounding like a moron. "To be honest, part of my decision making process depends on whether you'll be around or not. That'll change everything for me... for us. And then of course, what plans you and I make together and apart and... all kinds... of um, stuff."

So maybe they were both a bit lost.

Be around?

"Why the fuck would I go anywhere?" Vinny was obviously confused, "You gonna fuckin' dump me? Cuz unless you do, I think you're stuck with my sorry ass. Fuck that, even if you dump me, my sorry ass ain't goin' nowhere. Way I see it darlin', we got a weddin' to plan."

Fuck if my kid'll be born a bastard.

Her relief that he was staying, her warm feelings as he announced his intentions to stay all twisted into something else with his last statement. "Married?" Liv said, her eyes widening. "I'm not marrying you just because one of your wigglers had a particularly strong backstroke." As Vinny stared at her, she added, "Marriage isn't about making babies, it's about partnership and compatibility and... more than procreation."

A strange feeling was rising in her, and it took her a long moment to identify it. It was panic. Until he'd gotten here, Liv had been focused on him arriving. Now that he was, and was discussing the future in very concrete terms, she was getting scared. It was all getting very adult, very fast, and Liv hadn't taken time to process all of this yet. Now Vinny was processing it faster than she was, and she was getting ready to freak out.

With effort, she stayed calm. "Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you're going to be here. I was terrified of doing this alone. But let's not jump into anything, ok? One thing at a time."

In an odd turn of events, he seemed to be the one freaking her out. He had already accepted the consequences of his actions, hell, he had moved half way across the globe for her and gave up a rather cushy job, what was a couple more steps? He did love her after all...didn't he? Now, did he have a choice?

"Alright darlin'." he said, nodding, but then getting a wicked grin. "There is one 'thing' that we can take care of, and it is a very 'hard' decision to make."

The shock of the 'preggo' announcement had worn off enough that his hormones had once again flooded his brain, as sure as the evening tide.

She watched the change move through his eyes, as he switched from shocked to sexual. It was a relief, and it was exactly what they needed after the long parting and the life-changing news. "And here I thought I was subject to crazy hormones," Liv grinned, leaning forward to give him a light kiss.

"Two weeks, darlin', all saved for you," he murmured before pulling her into his lap. They didn't quite make it to the bed after that, not until after the sex. It was only after they'd caught their breath did they realize the floor wasn't that comfortable. They hadn't even noticed. As for their wager, both insisted that the other gave first, not that it mattered, overall. The physical reconnection and release had restored them somewhat, and it was a happier couple that cuddled on the bed. Or at least they cuddled until Liv put her hand on his bare waist while whispering that she loved him. His hand moved somewhere wonderful on her as he huskily returned the sentiment. That was enough to start the fires again, and they successfully broke in another section of the apartment.

They were warm and languid when they finished, his arms holding her close while she ran her fingers through his short hair. She was really reluctant to break this mood, but they had stuff to do, and they'd had their fun - at least enough for now. "So... why did you jump right to marriage? I mean," she added with a touch of wry humor, "you haven't even asked me yet. And I thought guys ran from marriage and commitment."

She was calmer now; it was easier to talk with the tension of the day obliterated by love and sex. And it was a lot easier to talk when he was holding her like this, so gently. It made her feel comfortable enough to talk about awkward things, or at least to start.

He reluctantly roused himself to a more alert state, the tension from earlier long forgotten in the after-sex bliss. "Child deserves to be raised in a home not broken... don't run from responsibility. More so when it involves guaranteeing myself a long-ass time with you darlin', and who says I wasn't gonna ask?" he said, smirking as he let his eyes drift closed again.

He hadn't really thought about it, it was hard enough to convince himself that she was worth flying across the globe for. At least before the latest news. Now he had the inner turmoil of one who's plans for himself had disappeared. He saw all the money he had saved from working overseas disappearing down the gullet of a crying baby while he drowned in filthy diapers.

However, he had a responsibility to live up to, and a family tradition to break. He would not be like his Father.

"Right," Liv said, feeling her tension ratchet up a bit. That's what she was to him now - a responsibility. Well, at least in part; he had come here for her, before he'd known. And now, he was trapped. He was so determined to be here for the child, would she know in the future if he were here for her or the baby?

There was a way to determine that, but it left her cold. If the baby weren't an issue, then he'd stick around or leave based on what he wanted, not on what he felt he had to do. After a second, she dismissed the thought. She didn't really want to consider that; it seemed so unfair to the child, who hadn't done anything wrong. But after a second, a troubling thought hit her. She'd been so focused on Vinny that she hadn't considered alternatives.

What if it were Bill's child?

Shit. Livy could feel herself start to shrink in on herself in embarrassment. How did she become one of those women who had to guess the identity of her child's father? And should she present the idea to Vinny?

Fuck. She should. He needed to know all the possibilities, the entire situation. Not telling him that he might be committing to raise another man's child wasn't fair to him. Liv wouldn't do that to him; she did love him. But not right now. Let's just mention this later, not while naked in bed together.

"But if I do say yes to your question, I'm not going to want anything big, ok?" she said softly. "Just a little party and a quick ceremony. Before you think I'm one of those Bridezillas who dreams that her wedding day is the pinnacle of her life."

Liv giggled and playfully smacked him on the shoulder. "Bastard, now you're just being a tard," she said. "But the kiwi cake sounds awesome, so count on that."

She looked up at him, feeling a deep sense of peace as she gazed into his dark eyes. She reached up and touched his cheek lightly, enjoying the feel of her man's skin on her fingers. "I'm just a little overwhelmed by everything we have to do already - I don't want a huge wedding on top of it all." So much to do, so little time. She needed to make a list. What was the first thing on that list?

That was easy, and hard: telling her family. Yeah, this'll be fantastic fun.

He flinched in mock pain, rubbing at his shoulder. "Only thing we gotta do right now, is fuckin' sleep, got some serious jet lag, the sun is seriously fucking confused on where it is suppose to be right now."

Guess that means she'll say yes.

"Tomorrow...tonight..whatever fuck the day it is, we'll go shoppin' for shit." He said, drawling off at the end as he wrapped an arm around her and snuggled in.

Time to find a ring ass-tard...ya lucky shit.

She wasn't tired like he was, but she didn't mind as he burrowed in deeper next to her and tumbled into sleep. It was the first time she'd gotten a chance to engage in the sappiest of couple activities: watching the other one sleep. As the room grew dark around them, she watched him, so still and vulnerable next to her. It was hard for her to handle the feelings rolling through her at this point; it was a confused jumble of fear, love, hope and so on, until she felt like she was being swept under in a riptide. It took a while for sleep to overwhelm those sensations and drag her away to restful oblivion.

In the morning, she was awoken by a feisty Vinny; a night's sleep had done him good, and he was back to his old self, teasing and horny. Liv made him work for it, until he practically had to pin her to the bed. Despite the teasing foreplay, which felt so much like what they had done in Kuwait, sex was different between them now, fraught with an emotional context. She'd felt that a bit on their last night together, but not with this intensity; either his willingness to follow her or the baby had changed their approach to each other. She found that she didn't mind, not in the least.

Showering and breakfast followed, and they began to work on their habits and rhythms together. They'd had patterns in Kuwait, but this was different, which was natural given their change in status. As they ate breakfast cereal, Livy asked, "So what store did you need to get your supplies?"

"Got a mall in this place?" he asked, knowing that they would.

Livy still played along, tweaking an eyebrow and stating, "Not in Berkeley, but we can hop over to Oakland or San Fran. Oakland's to the south; San Fran across the bay."

"Sure, Oakland," he said, taking his empty bowl over to the sink and cleaning it. "Ready?"

"Mmm-hmm," she said, going to get her purse. As she slung it over her shoulder, she glanced back to see him cleaning her bowl, too. I guess living with a neat-freak means being neat, thought to herself. She'd just have to learn to clean up after herself. She'd cleaned for him but didn't expect that she'd keep it up; now she was going to have to.

She drove them down into Oakland to one of the big malls. Hand-in-hand, they strolled inside and began to wander around. Liv was just starting to wonder what he was really looking for when he perked up and dragged her over to a jewelry store. Her eyes widened with shock and she blinked up at him. "Are you doing what I think you're doing?" she asked nervously.

The mall wasn't any different than the ones in Vegas he used to frequent, if anything it was sad that nothing had progressed while he was away, still the same stores trying to sell you the same crap you didn't need with the same dorky teenagers running around.

Fuckin' mallrats.

Being out of place back in the States however, there was no single place you could go to re-submerge yourself better into the American culture than a mall. That, and the guarantee of a jewelry store.

He had only really known her for a few weeks, and most of that was not what you would consider 'quality time' or they were exercising their animal instincts, so he needed some hints on what she liked and disliked if he was going to get her a ring she liked. Last thing he wanted to do was get something she would have to wear the rest of her life that she abhorred.

"Relax darlin' just browsin'." he said smiling as they entered the store.

It was standard mall selection, nothing great, far from, but there was enough to get an idea of the styles she liked. He already knew he wanted a multi-stone setting, assuming she wasn't dead-set against it.

"Can I show you anything?" The too-friendly, commission-paid, clerk asked as he approached the engagment settings counter they were standing at.

"No, buzz off." Vinny replied succinctly as he leaned over the counter and peered into the glass case.

"Sorry," Liv said to the sales clerk, flashing him a smile. "He was raised by wolves, but I promise he has had his shots." As the clerk snorted and walked away, Vinny glanced at her. "What?" she muttered, bending over the counter. "'No, thanks' would have been just as effective without being rude."

A setting caught her eye, and despite her discomfort with the idea of racing into a wedding, the lure of sparkles drew her into the process. "What about that?" she asked, pointing at a simple ring with a central diamond and two small stones set to either side. "Oo, that one looks kinda like a wave, which is cool. Replace the red stones with varying blue ones, and it'd look neat and organic. But... that'd probably have to be custom-built, right?"

She glanced at him, trying to see what he thought. After all, if he was footing this bill, his opinion should matter more than hers.

"Organic...heh...like my Granola." he replied, looking where she pointed as he smiled.

"S'pose, not planning on buying this shit, more finding what you like, will head to a real jeweler for a setting. They'll put whatever you want in the ring, generally buy the stones and metal separate."

Shoulda bought something in the East, fuckin' rocks for cheap there.

"Can look online, browse wholesalers, or whatever..."

She wasn't freaking out being in here, another good sign for a positive answer to 'the question.' If and when he asked that is, which he was going to...right?

Need to figure out when to ask, or fuckin' where...When's her fuckin' birthday?

As he said her nickname, Liv felt her heart skip a beat and she was smiling as she leaned into him and put her head on his shoulder. "That one, the S-kinda thing is neat too," she murmured. "I think it's cool if they're dynamic, you know? The first one was just kinda bland and straight, but the curvy ones are cool."

She nodded as he talked about going to a real jeweler. "That'd be my preference, too," she said. "I'd rather do to a artisan than use a chain store. And it makes sense so that you can get exactly what you want - what do you want, anyway? If we follow this all the way through, you'll have to get a ring, too. Any thoughts on what you'd like?"

"Me?" he asked, pulling his eyes away from the bling, "Fuck if I know. Maybe a ziptie or some carefully crafted duct tape. Thinkin' of askin' me instead?"

Suddenly his gaze was pulled beyond her, and his mouth dropped open in awe, "Jesus, Mary and Fuckin' Joseph...Orange Julius!!"

Without asking, he started for the storefront, dragging a surprised and slightly embarrassed Olivia behind him, "Thank you." she threw back at the store as they exited.

"Large Orange, and before you ask, yes I want the fuckin' banana." Vin said, cutting in front an elderly couple who seemed to be taking their time perusing the menu options.

The teenager looked confused, being one who was not used to confrontation working at the mall food court. His body seemingly frozen in mute shock as his mind tried to grasp what he was suppose to do.

"Well? Won't fuckin' pour itself ass-tard." Vin said, offering his AmEx, fresh from his wallet.

Vinny seemed ignorant of the glares from the couple that was in front of him, the man's arm looking a bit itchy on his cane. The employee took his card, figuring it easier to appease the jerk and get him gone. Judging by the young person's face, it was probably a safe bet that if they weren't forced to make the drinks at the counter that Vin's would have some sort of prize inside.

Vinny turned to Olivia, who had stayed quiet in the quick exchange, "Want anything darlin'?"

What do I want? A civilized mate with a side of courtesy? She'd known he was rough, but this seemed a little extreme. He wasn't on-site; he didn't have to be a jerk to get things done. Still, she was caught at the moment, between slinking away hiding her face behind her hand and just ordering something and getting it done. The fruit smelled lovely, and the knowledge the she might not keep lunch down made her decide to just roll with it for now. But she was signing her boyfriend up for obedience classes or something. "Strawberry Extreme, please," she told the poor kid behind the counter, "and yeah, I'll have the banana, too."

The kid shot her a look that clearly said, why do all the nice girls end up with jerks? At this moment, Olivia was bleakly considering that herself. The kid quickly bent to his task and served up their drinks, running Vinny's card and getting his signature. Frosty drinks in hand, the couple wandered away. "So, your general management style applies to all areas of life?" Liv asked, glancing up at him, hoping to keep her tone and outlook on the issue light.

If this was normal for him, how the hell was he going to integrate into the family? Jolena had set a high bar for that; she was considered one of them now. Liv wondered if Vinny would find his place with them, too.

"Huh?" The quiet grunt somehow made it past the straw that hadn't left Vinny's mouth since he received it, the fruit concoction being slowly savored and drained.

It had been years since he had tasted the deliciousness of The Julius. Bouncing around from country to country did have its many benefits, but most of the Third World hadn't caught up on the franchise ideal.

"What're ya talkin' about?" He asked, finally pulling the drink away for moment as they walked, the smells of what passed for American's versions of ethnic foods wafting through the air.

Liv was a little surprised at his question - was he really that unaware of how harsh he was to others? "Well, you cut in front of two people, then snapped at the counter boy after stunning him with your presence," she said. "Are... you always like that?"

It was suddenly, painfully clear that she didn't know him at all. And she was pregnant with what was probably his child and looking at rings with him. She either needed to start running now, or get to know him fast. Either way, she had a hard choice: could they make this work, together, or were they setting themselves up for heartbreak - and a broken family?

She took a slightly tighter grip on his hand and hoped that he was the one. And that was the problem. She'd been told that she'd know when she'd found the right one for her. She'd been sure, in the darkness of their love-nest in Kuwait. But now, with the realties and pressures they were facing, she wasn't as confident. Did she feel it now? Her parents had felt it within minutes of meeting each other; if she didn't feel it for him still? What was she doing?

Her previous thought came back to her. Family. They - she and he - were family now, and they couldn't go back from that. Even if they didn't get married, so long as there was the baby, they were bound together.

Running is so not an option now, girl, she told herself. The only way out is through.

"Vinny... please," she pleaded as she turned to face him, pressing her hands together around her glass. "Don't be upset. I'm just trying to get to know you. We've had a lot of great sex - obviously - and we've worked together, but face it. We have a lot to learn if we're going to be a couple, especially husband and wife." The words brought a little smile to her face, despite the fear she felt; there was just something about the thought my husband that warmed her more than a little.

"And it wasn't a trick question - I just wanted know if you're always that brusque with everyone," Liv said, her smile fading as she considered that this may become their first fight.

The compliments did nothing to calm the steam buildup in Vinny as he saw himself getting backed into a corner, the stress of failing at his last project, quitting his job, flying across the world for a girl...who was pregnant, and now pointing out apparent faults in his personality, finally found an outlet.

"How the fuck am I suppose to know? Not good enough to parade your hippy ass with? The uncivilized, third-world ass-tard a little too rough around the edges for her majesty?" Vinny said, his voice raising and attracting the looks of people nearby.

Liv fought rising tears. "Quit putting words in my mouth," she said, keeping her voice low but tense. "Especially ugly ones. I never said any of that. I wasn't even thinking that."

What are we doing? This is crazy, she thought. She'd never seen her parents fight like this, and she had no idea how to deal with it. She fought back embarrassment; pointing out that he was making a scene would only aggravate him, she decided.

"I asked a question. If you don't want to answer, fine," Liv replied. "I'll remember that I don't get to learn anything about you and never attempt to ask you another personal question. Is that what you want?"

"Oh, come on. That's not what I fucking mean at all, but insinuating that I'm a royal ass-tard is fuckin' bullshit."

"Look," he added, pausing and wiping his hand over his face. "Can we talk about his at home? Need a fuckin' timeout."

"That's not... nevermind," she sighed, pressing fingertips against her forehead. "Yeah, let's go home." And fight there.

They drove mostly in silence; she didn't try to take his hand or divert his attention from their breakdown in communication. She finished off her drink, even though it didn't taste that good anymore.

It was just turning to lunchtime when they got home, and Liv swallowed as her stomach twisted. Fuckin' morning-in-the-afternoon-sickness, she grumbled, right as the phone rang. She checked the caller id, and Vinny say her brace herself. "Hey," she said, then smiled and said, "Hey, Dad."

"Is he there?" Harry asked in Japanese, and Liv nodded as she replied in the same.

"Hai. Vinny's fine, and we're getting settled in," she told him. She glanced at Vinny and make a 'just a minute' gesture.

"Sooo... dinner tonight?" he asked shamelessly, still in his native tongue.

"Dad, I said a couple of days. It's been... twelve hours," she said, glancing at the clock to verify the time.

"Your mother and I really would like to meet him."

Liv sighed. "Let me ask, I'll call back," she said. After he'd agreed, she looked at her boyfriend and said, "Dad wants us to come to dinner. You can say no, especially since I told them to give us time before they started clamoring to meet you."

The car ride had allowed him to regain some self control, and also to feel somewhat bad for losing it. It was hardly her fault that he was so stressed, and having thought about it, she did have a point. They didn't really know much about each other. Her approach to questioning could use some fucking work though.

At the word 'Dad' Vinny had paled, the nervousness of having to deal with family creeping to the forefront. He had gone many years having none to deal with at all, and had adapted. To get thrown into a family that was actually functional was fucking nerve-wracking. What did he say? Was her Dad going to hold a sword to his head while they were married?

"What do you want to do?" Vinny asked quietly.

Liv shrugged, "Dinner with them is good, they always go to nice places and they'll pay...it's up to you."

He paused, staring off as he considered the decision for a moment.

"Alright, let's go." He answered as he approached her and put his arms around her. "Sor...Sorry."

Liv watched him closely as he made his decision. She was trying to get a feel for how he worked and thought; she wasn't surprised when he accepted the invitation. He seemed to appreciate good food and wasn't the kind to avoid a confrontation.

His apology was a little surprising but very welcome. "I'm sorry, too," she murmured softly, melting into his arms and putting hers around him in turn. "I need to figure out how to talk to you right." Her stomach rolled and bile rise in her throat. "Later, though. Scuse me." She pulled away from him and headed for the bathroom, crouching in front of the toilet. Fucking afternoon sickness.

"So while I'm waiting here," she spoke up, calling through the open door, "mind telling me a better way to ask what I was trying to ask? I really want to know, hon." Her tone wasn't entirely conciliatory, but she was kneeling front of the porcelain throne, about to make an unpleasant deposit. She sounded both resigned and irritated, actually.

Vinny giggled at her running to worship at the feet of the Crapper. "Sorta new at this, dunno what to say darlin'." He said, crossing his arms and moving to lean against the door jamb as he smiled down at her.

"Need me to hold hair or somethin'...?"

It appeared that he asked a moment too late as the Strawberry Extreme returned to the light, turning the water a delightful red.

As Olivia made her offering, Vinny grabbed a towel out for her and put it on the vanity counter.

"Could ask me without using somethin' disrespectful." he said, retreating to the door jamb as she got up and flushed. "Even my sorry ass has some pride to cling to."

Liv barely remembered to pull her braids to the side. She knelt for a moment longer, making sure she was done before rising and flushing, her body shaking in reaction to the violent re-gifting of the drink. She rinsed out her mouth and washed her face, meeting his eyes in the mirror so he knew that she was listening to him. When he fell silent, she turned around and put her arms around him again. "Of course you should be proud of yourself, hon," she said, frowning a little as she looked up at him. "I didn't realize that I made you feel like that. I don't want to do that to you ever again."

She looked tired, but her gaze was firm as she said, "I do need you to tell me what you thought was disrespectful," she told him, "because I didn't catch onto it myself. Tell me and I'll figure out a way to avoid it in the future." She sighed. "Doesn't mean I won't mess up again, but I'll try not to make all the same mistakes over and over."

"Don't remember." He said honestly. The anger, the drive, and now the distraction of a puking girlfriend had made the actual words that had caused the argument to slip his mind. "Somethin' you said ticked me off."

Archived