Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 8d: The Open Road

Dawn OOC

Cass nodded, her eyes distant as she saw something they couldn't. "Ares can't stop the Night of Blood," she said, shivering before covering her eyes. "The King and his Court will live, but only if they sacrifice the serfs by closing the drawbridge."

"Okay, you know, we appreciate this kind of information," Teresa said, "but it's fundamentally unhelpful if we don't know what the hell you're saying."

"Lay off her," Miles said. "It's like Hawthorne's OCD. She can't help it. We just have to be smarter."

"If the drawbridge if closed, all will live but be lost," Cassie said, cutting off more conversation. "Endure Death's gauntlet or die twice."

"Jesus," Teresa whispered, looking freaked out. Cassie shivered again and seemed to come back to herself, looking at Ira and frowning. Miles just looked at her, his face impassive.

Ira looked over at Cass, concern on his face, "You ok baby? Voices again?"

He looked back to the road, addressing the vehicle in general, "Pretty sure she's talking about Fox's place, back that way," he said, gesturing in the general direction, "Don't ask me to explain why I think that."

Cassie nodded as Teresa frowned. "Wait, she hears voices? Is she crazy?"

As Cassie scowled at her, Miles asked, "Or is she enhanced? I thought she might be, with those eyes. And yeah, we've heard about Fox and his purple-eyed Vixen, though," he eyed Cassie again, "I see that the stories are greatly exaggerated."

Cassie's jaw dropped and then snapped shut. "She's the wooden duck! I'm the real McCoy! Gah!" She crossed her arms and sulked, "Boys handicapping themselves by only using one leg. Blah." She leaned over and rested her head on Ira's shoulder. "My Knight can see the truth."

"Knight, huh?" Teresa teased innocently, smiling a little. "You've defeated a dragon, haven't you? You know that's required before you can really claim the title, right?"

"How about a werewolf, sugar? Less you got a dragon that needs slaying? Though from what I remember, all it took was not getting your ears lopped off by an old British babe to get the title. But yeah, we've seen the 'vixen'." Ira said, making air quotes as he took his hands off the wheel for a moment.

"And believe me, any story you've heard is probably not exaggerated enough. Steer clear. That slut is bad news." Ira said, trailing off, seemingly ignoring Miles comment about being 'enhanced'.

Cassie frowned and murmured, "She is constructed as she was meant to be." She looked sad as she rested against her Knight, her gaze distant.

"Noted," Teresa said to Ira, dismissing Cassie's comment as coming from a generous nature. "I've always wanted to get down to Fox's. I hear it's a really safe place."

"Could you show us on a map?" Miles asked. A bump in the road made him grimace and catch his breath, but he carried on, "We like to establish trade, especially since our main supplier's main scavenger got axed." He shook his head. "Bad enough to kill people for stuff, but when you take out a trader or scavenger, you're hurting a lot of people. Enclaves need the people willing to cross the wastelands."

"I think that's the point, to isolate people and scare them. Fucking terrorists," Teresa growled. "I'm tellin' ya, it's the fuckin' Russies." She glanced at Ira and said, "The RUS, the Reclaimed United States." She snorted. "Fuckin' poseurs. They don't even have the pre-"

"Ahem." Mile's quick noise cut Teresa off; she blushed as her jaw snapped shut.

"Lead-? Oh, right," Teresa said, then shrugged. "We don't. I mean, I know you don't believe us, but I took an oath to serve and protect America's citizens. America might be gone, but her citizens are still out there. And I have nothing better to be doing."

"We'll prove it to you by our actions," Miles said. "Until then, I thank you for what trust you have shown us. Lots of people would have just left of there. I and my continued existance are very grateful that you didn't. Those mad fucks were going to kill us."

"Yeah, probably." Ira said, looking at Miles. "So you guys dodging the President thing? Not that I really give a crap, he's just another Suited Zombie waitin' to happen. But you'd fig he'd be one to survive Zombigeddon is anyone did."

Cassandra may have given him the will to live, but this world had definitely put a hamper on his sense of 'brotherly love'.

"They actually got the president and the vice president and their families to us before it all went to hell," Miles said after a second of contemplation. "The Veep basically lost his mind and retired, so we had to get another, but Whittaker is still the leader of what is left of the United States." He paused and smiled. "Would you like to meet him?"

Cassie nodded. "Meeting puppets is fun," she said. Miles looked sharply at her and she looked back at him, as if daring him to say something. He remained silent, and looked to Ira to see if he were interested in meeting what was once the leader of the free world.

The Up Chuck roared on, and the road rolled under them, and the sky gradually darkened, and still, nothing more was said. There was a quiet sense of anticipation in the car, a looming sense that something big was coming.

Ira felt spurred on, and he drove through the night, stopping only to add more fuel to the car. He was unwilling to let anyone drive, and unwilling to stop. At about three in the morning, he was pushing along the path, when he glanced over at Cassie. There were times his lady creeped him out; now was one of those times, as she stared out the windshield without blinking. After a few minutes, he realized that she had eyes locked on a spot he couldn't see; when the car's orientation shifted, her eyes shifted, too, watching that spot. "What is it, baby?" he whispered, trying not to wake up the sleeping grunts. "What do you see?"

"The end," she whispered, and shook her head and would say no more.

Click to reveal..
5 xp

Archived