Avatar the Last Airbender: A Second Chance - Avatar the Last Airbender Game

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Guys, seriously, yer just bitchin for the sake of bitchin at this point.

It looked like the bitches were almost done bitching so I had to come in here and bitch before the bitch-fest was all bitched out. :-P
Quote:
You know what would be sick is if you ever decided to pick up the scraps of ProfPotts' Warlord of tellus Adventure! game and run it for us. If you did that I would feel like it was my birthday too!

Thank you for saying so -- but sometimes you just gotta let those dead games go. ;-)

Originally Posted By: Haplo
2nd gives slightly more freedom and doesn't really involve as much math. From a story-telling point of view, its better.

I'd never played BESM until I started playing in Justin's Shadow's of the City game here on the forum. As a player completely new to the system, if the baby-math slows you down that much... gaming probably isn't for you.

• 7 months later...

Well, we've got some people starting up new games... so maybe this is the time to revive this thread/idea.

Anybody up for running this thing?

Quote:
I just thought of this... an A:tLA game using Abberant rules. Does that sound good/interesting to anyone else?

Does it sound good enough to anybody that they'd want to run it? (years after the end of the series sounds like a good setting to me)

Quote:
BESM 2nd Edition

Character Creation

30 Character Points

Using the Staged Stat Cost optional rule, no starting attribute above 6

30 Skill Points

Restricted Attributes

Anything not under the type 'Normal'. Other abilities can be taken with the approval of the GM, providing that they fit the setting and chosen element.

Restricted Defects

Anything not under the type 'Normal'. Other defects can be taken with the approval of the GM, providing that they fit the setting and chosen element.

Note: Bending techniques should be taken under Magic, then the technique bought with points provided by magic.

The general idea that you're starting out on your quest, not midway through it, is prevalent theme. You're low-powered, so the benders will not be making the non-benders useless. Furthermore, no Avatar. There is one, and it is not you. Only the base four elements are available, as users of the sub-elements (Lightning, Metal, Blood, etc.) are incredibly rare.

Or, at least that's how I would run it.

Quote:
Aberrant

Character Creation

-Standard Baseline Creation

-Starting Quantum = 4

-Spend 10 Nova Points

Restrictions:

-No Taint

-No Power other than Elemental Anima (Earth/Water/Air) and Elemental Mastery (Fire)

-No Mega Attributes

House Rules

-'Baselines' have the same soak as 'Novas'

-All offensive and defensive manifestations of powers have no damage adds and any multipliers reduced by 1

-No Aggravated Damage

-Sub-Elements (Lightning, Metal, Blood and Sound) are available once Mastery has been purchased

-Increasing Quantum and Node do not induce Taint

Would be how I'd run it...

That's what we've gotten so far, constructively (besides just about everyone wanting to play).

Now all we need is a ST to pick up this idea in whatever system they prefer, with whatever mods/lack of mods they feel fits best.

Anybody?

I still can't get past the similarities in feel between the world ATLA and Exalted...

Anywho, I suppose that you could RP AtLA using the dreaded Palladium Books Sysytem. Using the Very well made MartalArts & Chi-magic rules found in "Mystic China" you could easily create that whole Avatar-ish feeling.

Plus, outside of Rifts/Phase/Wormwood/Splicers/Nightspawn every Other game made by PB is very non-munchkin (even Robotech & Macross are low key once you get past all of the Giant Zendradi & Mecha).

Heroes Unlimited already allows you to have Martal Arts trained individuals with Elemental Force Control powers over Water, Wind, Earth, and Fire. Not Exactly the same but close.

ANOTHER great system for for non-powergaming ATLA would be MARVEL FASERIP. It's system is just as easy to create characters as Aberrant, And thanx to the Easy to use & well developed Power Stunt system it is Just as free flowing as you need.

It's just that Aberrant was created to be something NEW on the markets (IE: What if you had ALL of the powers a powergamer could ever want and little to NO villians to fight? You have ta Find/Invent reasons to use your powers), as such it had to be geared in game mechanics towards that train of thought and level of power...

And Avatar is nowhere Near that level of gaming. By the time you finish gearing ABBY into AVVY, you've got such change that the game would be about the same as FASERIP.

And that's why I took 'Aberrant' out of the title of this thread.

Abby is simply the system that I feel the most comfortable with (and I have all the books for it on my comp). If anybody wants to run this game, they are more than free to use whatever system they feel would best accomplish it, and whatever system they feel best running.

Whatever system is used, so long as I can find the books online, I will be willing to play; and I think that most people here, that like A:tLA feel the same way.

• 5 months later...

I just finished watching the series, literally. It was awesome. I now want to add to the chorus of "I'd be totally down with someone doing this." I don't have the time for running another game, so I can't, as much as I've already considered setting, era, etc. Damn my active imagination.

Anyway, I was more or less poking this to see if there's any interest still.

Well, I COULD run it, I have been meaning to start up a game for WEEKS if not months.

I just have a little schedule conflicts pretty much every other week, I would be more than happy to run it if anybody would be willing to stick through the imminent 4 day drought >_> and the fact that half the players are much better writers than the ST.

Anybody willing?

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
I've been meaning to watch this series, we have 2 books already and still haven't taken the time to watch them.

I can't stress enough taking the time to watch them. I know you guys are busy, but they are worth the effort. An awesome series. laugh

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
I'm interested, Kult.

Yay, that´s one down!

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
If I knew BESM or had time to learn it I would be all over this. I may still change my mind but don't count on me at this time.

BESM is pretty easy to learn Jameson, it´s mostly looking up stuff on a chart and imagination, not much else involved to be honest.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
I'm interested...but I've got a lot of games. I can't commit to this just yet.

Let me assess my current status and see if I can withstand another game. If necessary, go ahead and start without me.

Good to know Max, I will need to check out if there are any more interested before I start seriously writing the back story down. Ty for showing interest.

A couple of questions:

1) Time frame? Hopefully either well before or well after the series.

2) Will one of the PCs be the Avatar? Hopefully not.

3) Special Bending Techniques (see below) some of these were invented/discovered during the series so time frame would determine their availability but in general are will these be possible for PCs?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Waterbending

Subtechniques: Healing, Plant bending, Blood bending (full moon only?)

Power impacts: New moon (low power), full moon (high power), eclipsed moon (power loss), lack of available water (power loss)

Firebending

Sub-techniques: Blue fire (Azula only?), lightening (strongest firebenders only?), fire breathing (technique or power?), Flight (limited)

Power impacts: Daytime/nightime(?), solar eclipse (power loss)

Earthbending

Sub-techniques: Earthsight/tremor sense, Metal bending (invented/discovered by Toph, high strength benders only?), sand bending

Power impacts: suspended away from earth/ground (power loss)

Airbending

Sub-techniques: unknown, we've no other air benders to gauge Aang against to know what is normal vs special

Power impacts: unknown, has Aang ever been unable to airbend?

Click to reveal.. (Avoid if you haven't finished the series)

Spirit Bending

Sub-techniques: unknown

Power impacts: unknown

Did I miss anything?

As slow as some of the games have been lately and as much free time as I have ATM,definitely count me in for this. I'm most of the way through Season 2 and should be finishing it soon. So yeah, definitely up for it no matter the system.

About the Time frame:

I wanted to handle it a LONG time before the series, mostly to not have to deal with the main character and any of their possible ilk, this MIGHT make it look like I´m limiting but Metal bending is not that far from Crystal Bending, and Toph while rich did not know every Earth Master out there, for all we know there were other metal benders on a smaller scale than her, or the theory might have been there already before she pulled it off, simply because of how much of a high level tech it is.

This DOES give us the advantage of a less militarized Fire tribe group, South pole being more akin to the north pole, the Earth Kingdom running several cities and not just two or three that have not fallen, and and the 4 Air Bending temples to exist after all.

But this does mean I will have to pull an Avatar from my sleeve >_> but hey, preferably that than having one of the PC´s be the Avatar. Avatar mode is very very bad on a PC´s hands >_>

----------

About the Bendings:

Water bending is stronger on the night, and during a Full moon and a Solar Eclipse, it reaches the peak of it´s power, and it´s affected by anything that might affect the course of the tides.

Also, it´s healing looks like it was complimented with Acupuncture and does not work like magic, but it accelerates the regular regeneration of the body, that´s why it took so long for Katara to heal Aang from Azula´s lighting blast. Water bending is also one of the two arts to be able to make weapons at will, with things like Water whips and Ice lances/shuriken.

Water bending was explained to be fed by the tranquility of mind too, since the water bender needs to keep a cool head to be able to use her powers to it´s potential, on the same coin high states of excitement produce unwanted water bending, like water sprouts or ice cracking.

Martial Art it was based off from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_Chi_Chuan

---

Blue Fire was described as available only to the strongest Fire benders (meaning, not only Azula, but we never found anybody else during the series) and it´s described as burning hotter and having actual physical power behind it, that´s how Azula broke through rock when chasing Aang.

Lighting was shown as being easy to create, but hard to manipulate, as like Iroh explained you are a conduit for the lighting and misusing it leads to probable cardiac arrest or the lighting backfiring on you.

Click to reveal..

This reminds me there IS a second possibility for a subset of Fire bending, and that "Explosion Bending" like the Three Eyed Monk does.

Word of god says that it worked by super heating the air around the target area very quickly to make it explode, not very scientific but it´s a spiritual world.

Fire bending is weaker on the night and stronger on the day, Water bending being it´s exact opposite, but Fire bending has the advantage of being able to be used in conjunction with weapons, Zuko showed as much when creating large slashes of fire with his twin swords.

To cap it off, it´s the most emotional of bending, since it´s two sources of power are rage and passion.

and as a note, the Fire one...it´s kinda perplexing to me on the flight, because it´s more like a Super Jump, it´s just an impulse from an explosion, I assume the hard part is the landing too >_>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Shaolin

---

Earth sight was only used by Toph, we never ran into anybody who had it, but it´s not impossible to think that high level earth benders could do a lesser version of it. Their powers work like Telekinesis so they don´t need to be in direct contact with the earth to use it, Toph was specially weak to this because of how her Earth sight worked, still if Bumi showed anything is that Earth Bending is not only high defensive, but it can also be highly offensive and it has a second more common subset which is Crystal Bending, since Crystal was originally made out of Sand, it´s within their realm, and it is the same process as Metal bending, you find the impurities on the material and bend those, not the metal itself.

Also, Earth bending is the only other art that creates weapons out of material, and it LOOKS like it should be able to be used with blunt damage weapons or maybe even sharp weapon, but that´s up to how imaginative we get. It is also capable of creating Rock armor, and Sandstorms for defensive maneuvers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Gar

Note: Toph showed us that while they are mostly based AROUND those MA´s other styles/schools might Exist, as it is Toph used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Praying_Mantis_(martial_art)#Chu_Gar

----

Air bending we don´t know a lot about it, we know they have controlled flight and that they have the highest rate of special techs since the graduation to master Air Bender required to create a whole new tech.

For a sub-art, we never saw any but it´s not that hard to think that it could control weather patterns, not like it needs it really, if Aang had not been written to be a pacifist, he would have Force choked people and used air pressure to cut stuff from range (he is shown to do it only once when he is really really pissed off), it is also shown that Aang who was only taught up to the Air bender Master level, was capable of perfectly cutting rocks with his air or blasting several tons of rock to make it change direction mid attack.

Still, non pacifist Air Benders are probably THE most dangerous bender, seeing how controlling air also means you control vacuum and that can get out of hand very very fast if not correctly handled.

and about a weakness, separating an Airb ender from Air seems a tall order, I would assume Underwater combat or a really really high place could do the trick.

Martial it was based off from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba_Gua_Zhang

Archived