Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Summer Roads [Complete]

Aradia McConnell

Aradia watched him go for a minute, looking a little thoughtful. Then, as if she'd just registered what Livy had said, she turned to her friend, and laughed a little, grinning.

"No, don't worry about it. If he goes first, then I get to linger as long as I want cause you two are done, now don't I? Plus, we'll get first dibs on the best strawberries, now won't we? Now c'mon.. let's go see what's on TV."

With that, Aradia slipped past her and back into the hotel room, grabbing the remote control and flipping on the television to find something for them to watch while they waited for room service.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The awkwardness between Aradia and Wakiki was forgotten, or at least they didn’t mention it again. Wakiki thought on it occasionally, but that was natural that a red-blooded straight teen boy would think about kissing a pretty women. But there was something else more important looming, and that was the return trip. In the morning, the three kids checked out and began the long drive to Carson City, Nevada, where the circus was waiting.

It was about an eight hour trip, and the circus was leaving first thing in the morning, so they couldn’t linger the way they had to this point. The mood in the car was somber, and the continuous replay of Runaway Train didn’t help lighten things up either. Wakiki tried, but neither girl was particularly receptive to a better mood. Both were sad about the upcoming parting.

Finally, they turned onto the short dirt road to the back of the circus. Wakiki carefully parked next to a low-slung trailer and turned off the car. He got out and started to unload the trunk, giving Ari and Livy a few minutes alone.

Livy hugged the girl back. "My pleasure. It would have been so dull with just Wakiki," she said, causing Wakiki to start to grumble as he tossed luggage around.

The two hugged for a moment, then Wakiki said, "Alright, my turn." When Aradia turned to him, he gave her a long hug. "Thanks for coming," he said, and she heard the evil grin in his voice as he added, "It would have been so dull with just Livy."

"Hey!" she snapped. "I was being nice to Aradia!"

Aradia just giggled, and punched him playfully on the arm.

"Okay you two, save the bickering for the ride home, you've got plenty of time."

She dug around in her luggage, and pulled out a box.

"I noticed you two aren't souvenir people, except for Livy's pictures. But I don't care, this was the first trip I ever went on with someone other than circus tours, so I wanted something for us all to remember it by."

She opened up the box and pulled out three identical necklaces. They were simple silver chains with a nice-sized circular medallion hanging from the end of each one. She held two of them out, and upon closer inspection they saw that it was a replica of the medallion in the ground at the Four Corners. She grinned a little sheepishly, and shrugged.

"I figured that the rest was fun, but that's where we really came together and made the trip awesome, you know? We could have given up and gone right back home.. but we didn't, and I'm glad. And it was the coolest thing ever."

"Aww," Livy said, taking her and putting it on. "Thanks, hon! You're right, we totally needed something like this!"

"Thank you," Wakiki said, much calmer about it but still smiling with clear gratitude. He stepped forward and hugged her. "Take care of yourself, ok?"

Aradia nodded, tears stinging her eyes a little. Livy hugged her tight, and that long embrace made both girls cry. "Call me," Aradia murmured, and Livy nodded. "Yeah... I will."

Slowly, they separated and the Izumi's got back in the car. Still waving, Livy twisted around the seat so she could wave, watching Aradia until she was gone from view.

Archived