Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 8b: Scythe

Dawn OOC

Ger agreed to do most of the questioning. He'd done this before, in another life, and everyone agreed that he'd probably have the best effect. Violet and Jules would be witnessing the questioning, or more importantly to Ger, distracting the suspects. Having two beautiful women in the room should cause slip-ups.

The first man questioned was, on Violet's recommendation, the angry one. He was lanky and thin, with the hollow look of someone who has only recently started to eat well. His dark hair was stringy, and he appeared to have abandoned shaving. Ger started simple. "What's your name?"

"Ken." The single word was very sullen.

"What's your last?" Ger inquired.

"What does that matter? Ain't like there's enough people to care," Ken grunted.

"For our records," Ger answered, "or how about because I asked you for it. Take your pick."

"Elliot."

"Alright, what was your relationship with the deceased?"

Ken sighed. "He lived a couple of tents down from me TentTown."

"What was his name?"

"Jacob something," Ken said. "Last names aren't important anymore."

Ger nodded. "Ok, what did you know about him?"

"He was a dentist, sometimes he did other stuff, you know, when people couldn't find one of the normal doctors or didn't want to go to the doctors, they'd come to him."

Ger frowned. "Are you telling me he was practicing medicine, but was trained as a dentist?"

"Yep," Ken nodded. "I heard he pissed some people off, with some treatments he was doing."

"How so?" Ger pressed.

Ken paused, thinking. Then he said, "I don't know about that. You should ask Nick Baumgarter, though."

"Why does Nick has a last name?" Ger asked.

"For your records, of course," Ken smirked.

Click to reveal..
Joani, please give me a EM roll to assess his emotions.

Violet followed the interrogation concentrating on the quesions Ger asked and how the "subject" responded. She tried to connect what she saw with what she felt and learn the subtle changes in bodylanguage and facial muscles. Violet was scared to do something wrong and put all her effort into focusing on the task and provide Jules and Ger with her most precise assessment of her emotional scanning.

If she did it right she could reduce how much was left to interpretation and what could be taken for certain.

Click to reveal..
Scanning for Emotions to assess the situation. Spent 1 WP. (4d10.hits(7)=2) plus WP makes 3 suxx!

"Ken." The single word was very sullen. [anger]

"What's your last?" Ger inquired.

"What does that matter? Ain't like there's enough people to care," Ken grunted. [anger, sorrow]

"For our records," Ger answered, "or how about because I asked you for it. Take your pick."

"Elliot." [anger, frustration]

"Alright, what was your relationship with the deceased?"

Ken sighed. "He lived a couple of tents down from me TentTown." [fading anger, irritation]

"What was his name?"

"Jacob something," Ken said. "Last names aren't important anymore." [fading anger, irritation]

Ger nodded. "Ok, what did you know about him?"

"He was a dentist, sometimes he did other stuff, you know, when people couldn't find one of the normal doctors or didn't want to go to the doctors, they'd come to him." [irritation]

Ger frowned. "Are you telling me he was practicing medicine, but was trained as a dentist?"

"Yep," Ken nodded. "I heard he pissed some people off, with some treatments he was doing." [fading irritation]

"How so?" Ger pressed.

Ken paused, thinking. [rising nervousness] Then he said, "I don't know about that. You should ask Nick Baumgarter, though."

"Why does Nick has a last name?" Ger asked.

"For your records, of course," Ken smirked. [nervousness, spike of smug satisfaction]

Out in the hallway James frowned. *If that means what I think that means then Jacob is lucky I didn't find out what he was up to. What he was doing was wrong and counter survival.*

*Of course I might be wrong and I am jumping to conclusions here. Maybe he wasn't out there killing children.*

Violet carefully leaned closer to Jules and whispered to her, hoping no one would hear what she was saying to her.

"He is mostly angry about what happened. Typical state of mind of most people these days. Anger, frustration and sorrow...", she said hesitating suddenly as Ger continued his questions.

Originally Posted By: Ger
"Alright what was your relationship with the deceased?"

"Now he is irritated by the questioning - less angry.", Violet observed as she "reported" to Jules.

"I'm not sure what to make of that, sorry honey.", she apologized.

As Ger continued his questioning Violet perked up again at the end. "I think he is holding back something. He is nervous about that Nick-guy. It seems like an escape. I believe he knows more but isn't willing to share."

Violet looked at Jules hoping that what she said made sense to her.

Jules nodded. "Ok, we'll be sure to let Ger know when he's done. I'll bet he's going to call Nick Baumgarter in for questioning, though."

When Ger had released Ken, Jules and Violet let him know what Violet had felt. "Right, well, I'll get Nick in here." He looked at Violet. "You ready for more?"

"I'm good.", Violet said nodding at Jules and Ger. "I'll... I'll tell you guys if I can't take it anymore. I don't want to cause more trouble... I really want to help."

Violet smiled at Jules and took in her scent. It felt good being around her, it gave her confidence.

Originally Posted By: Violet
"I'm good.", Violet said nodding at Jules and Ger. "I'll... I'll tell you guys if I can't take it anymore. I don't want to cause more trouble... I really want to help."
Out in the hallway James mood darkened.

Violet: 'I can't take it... I don't want to cause more trouble... I really want to help.'

Maybe, maybe, maybe Violet was just playing them by claiming that it was more mentally stressful than it was. But he didn't think so. Violet was trying to earn acceptance by giving of herself and that was a fool's game. There was an unlimited pool of need in the world. To survive and stay sane you took care of you and yours first and after that, and only after that, you shared what you could.

Ger went to the next room, and Jules and Violet followed him in, standing back by the door. Violet noticed that it was the emotionless man. The man at the table was dark-toned, though his exact ethnicity was hard to nail down. Black eyes flickered over the women, and he asked, “What are they doing here?”

“They’re here to observe,” Ger replied, leaning forward and pulling the man’s eyes to him. “I’m asking the questions. What’s your name?”

“Howe Porter, formerly of Bangor, Maine, lucky enough to be vacationing in Oklahoma when Z-day happened,” Howe told him, smiling a bit. “God smiled on me, you might say.”

“Right,” Ger said, his tone uneasy. He glanced back at the women for a moment before nodding to Howe. “What was your relationship to the deceased?”

“He was my former brother-in-law.”

Ger blinked. “Wait, you are married to Jacob’s sister? Or he to your sister? And what’s his last name?”

“Kintner. Jake Kintner. He was married to my sister, before my sister died.” Howe shrugged. “He and I stuck together because we knew each other. I had no real love for him. He owed me money.”

“Money? You’re still holdin’ to that stuff?” Ger asked.

“Kinda,” Howe replied. “It was a debt incurred before Z-day, so it was in money. I figured he’d pay me back in goods eventually, but he was dragging his feet.” He smirked. “Too busy getting gifts for his girlfriends.”

“Ah, players,” Ger said, smiling a little. “Did that bother you? Having to wait while he threw your repayment at women?”

“No, not really,” Howe said, smiling slowly. “I figured that someday, this exact situation would happen: he’d fuck someone’s girl, get himself killed, and I’d inherit all his stuff. Debt paid.”

“His death doesn’t bother you at all?”

“Nope,” the man said evenly. “As I said, my sister was married to him, not me.”

Click to reveal..
Violet, another EM roll, please.

Violet was nervous about this one. She wasn't sure if she just didn't pick up anything about him or if he really didn't feel anything at all because of the murder. Even those people that had emotionally cancelled them off out of self protection had some kind of response to murder - Howe didn't show that or she had missed the moment when he did.

She focused on the man almost not listening to the questions as she was trying to make sure to pick up on his emotions.

Click to reveal..
Emotion Scan - I'll spent one WP for extra Suxx (4d10.hits(7)=0) = 1 Suxx b/c of WP spent. WP left 5

Black eyes flickered over the women, and he asked, “What are they doing here?” [wary]

“They’re here to observe,” Ger replied, leaning forward and pulling the man’s eyes to him. “I’m asking the questions. What’s your name?”

“Howe Porter, formerly of Bangor, Maine, lucky enough to be vacationing in Oklahoma when Z-day happened,” Howe told him, smiling a bit. “God smiled on me, you might say.” [smug, still bit wary]

“Right,” Ger said, his tone uneasy. He glanced back at the women for a moment before nodding to Howe. “What was your relationship to the deceased?”

“He was my former brother-in-law.” [wary]

Ger blinked. “Wait, you are married to Jacob’s sister? Or he to your sister? And what’s his last name?”

“Kintner. Jake Kintner. He was married to my sister, before my sister died.” Howe shrugged. “He and I stuck together because we knew each other. I had no real love for him. He owed me money.” [wary]

“Money? You’re still holdin’ to that stuff?” Ger asked.

“Kinda,” Howe replied. “It was a debt incurred before Z-day, so it was in money. I figured he’d pay me back in goods eventually, but he was dragging his feet.” He smirked. “Too busy getting gifts for his girlfriends.” [wary, amused]

“Ah, players,” Ger said, smiling a little. “Did that bother you? Having to wait while he threw your repayment at women?”

“No, not really,” Howe said, smiling slowly. “I figured that someday, this exact situation would happen: he’d fuck someone’s girl, get himself killed, and I’d inherit all his stuff. Debt paid.” [smug, wary, amused]

“His death doesn’t bother you at all?”

“Nope,” the man said evenly. “As I said, my sister was married to him, not me.” [wary]

The man was difficult to read but she picked up something - she hoped it was enough to help Jules and Ger.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
“Kinda,” Howe replied. “It was a debt incurred before Z-day, so it was in money. I figured he’d pay me back in goods eventually, but he was dragging his feet.” He smirked. “Too busy getting gifts for his girlfriends.”
In the hall James frowned. He hadn't know Jake. It was 'possible' there were really rich people around he didn't know... but it didn't seem likely. Well, if Jack were a serious 'player' then he might have deliberately avoided James for various reasons, but it seemed more likely that Howe was lying.

He's relatively much in control of his emotions - just wary. I wonder if I'm really reading his emotions or if he can somehow block me out.

Violet bit her lips giving Jules a concerned look before she leaned closer to her and whispered, "This guy is pretty much just wary of the questioning - Ger either hasn't asked the right question yet or he has not much to do with the murder. I can't pick up anything that would give away that he is the murderer... except for being relatively cool about this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...", she sighed giving Howe another close look.

Just wary... that's all. Maybe it would make more sense to protocol what they say and let her make some notes. That way Ger and Jules could adjust their questions to how they respond depending on the feedback Violet gave them. She'd make that suggestion before they question the next guy.

"You want to pass me notes and alter what I'm asking these guys?" Ger was frowning and didn't seem very happy with the suggestion. Howe had been released, and they were chatting in the hall before going to see the next man.

"Sorry to interrupt, sir," one of Ger's staff said, trotting up, "but we found Baumgarter."

"Good, we'll question him next," Ger said.

"Can't sir, he's dead, too," the man said.

"What?!" Ger said, his eyes widening.

"Yes, sir, we found him in his trailer, blungeoned in the head," he said. "The doctor thinks he was killed before that Jacob fellow."

"Well, that's a nice alibi for him." Ger shook his head. "And I liked him for it, too. Well, fuck." He looked at the ladies. "You two have any thoughts?"

"Dead...", Violet felt a knot in her stomach. People were starting to kill each other... over what?

She shook her head in disbelief staring at Jules.

"I... I honestly don't know what to say. I can't believe people are killing each other around here. Over what? This is crazy...". Violet shook her head clearly unable to cope with the news.

I don't know if that was such a good idea...

The unearthly beauty looked at Jules again with troubled eyes. She was still eager to help but she slowly feared she wasn't cut for this kind of thing. People would start to hate her for even more if the word got out that she was helping the authorities as some kind of lie detector.

James couldn't stand it any more and walked over and tried to put his arm around Violet protectively. His dark sunglasses did a good job at hiding that he was still effectively blind, but now James never looked at people, he just pointed his head in their direction. James said to Violet, Jules, and Ger,

"Easy there Violet. Sometimes the obvious solution is it. I think the 'over what' issue is the key. More specifically, we need to know what exactly was Jake's skill. If I'm right I'm shocked we went this far without murder."

"Lots of lady friends, off the books medicine, treatments that pissed people off; I'm thinking... abortion?" James added darkly, "That could lead to murder real easy."

Jules looked irritated. "You're not here in an official capacity," she said to James. “You’re here for Violet. We’ve already thought of that.”

Ger sighed. “Jules, calm down. He was just offering a suggestion,” he said softly. “There isn’t an official capacity until Fox determines a procedure anyway. Though to be fair, you’d not likely be invited in that case, DeBeer. However, until then, Fox decides who’s allowed, and in his absence, I do.” Jules looked like she wanted to say something, but remained silent. “Now, we’re exploring all angles.” He turned to the man who was still there, waiting nervously. “Bring in Baumgarter’s wife, girlfriend, or whatever the woman in his life is. I’m sure she’s involved. We’ll question the last guy. Violet, you ready to keep going?”

Violet instinctively assumed a position for James to give him better access to her. His arm felt good around her and obviously helped a lot to ease the tension that was building up. She followed the short conversation with worry - she didn't want James to say something they both would regret in the end but fortunately he didn't.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
He turned to the man who was still there, waiting nervously. “Bring in Baumgarter’s wife, girlfriend, or whatever the woman in his life is. I’m sure she’s involved. We’ll question the last guy. Violet, you ready to keep going?”

Violet swallowed hard and nodded. "I started it... I'm going to follow through to the end but I'll need a break after that. And I want you guys to make sure that this gets some kind of official tag by the Captain. I don't want to get involved in another gossip assault involving me. I want to improve my social image, not make it worse."

Violet leaned in on James and felt the urge to kiss him, to get some intimacy. Right now she'd prefer being alone with him and have a good time but that was not an option. If the interrogation was finished quickly they'd have some time to indulge that thought of hers. She was sure James would oblige.

"Right, then," Ger said, opening the door on the last room. Jules and Violet stepped in, this time moving behind the suspect so that they could signal his emotions to Ger. Violet had paper to write his feelings down so that she could hold up for the man.

Click to reveal..
Violet's Emotional Manip roll to sense emotions: 2 sux

1d10=10, 1d10=5, 1d10=6, 1d10=10

Violet, I hope you didn't mind, but I couldn't think of a way to have her direct Ger without a lot of back and forth.

The guilty man was last. Violet didn't need to tell Ger he was still feeling guilt; it and anxiety practically oozed off of him. Speaking around the thumbnail he was chewing on, he said, "Why are you keeping me here?" [guilt, anxiety, fear]

“We’re just questioning some folks,” Ger replied easily, glancing past him to read Violet’s note. “No one’s singling you out for anything special. You have nothing to worry about, friend.”

“Unless I did it, right?” He looked upset as he waited for the answer. [same as before]

Ger’s eyebrows popped up into the air. “Did you?” he asked.

“Of course not! Look at me!” The guy held out his arms, indicating his lanky, skinny body. “Does this look like a murder’s body to you? And I don’t like the sight of blood – how could I do what was done to Jake?” [rising anxiety and fear] “I know who did it.” [hope]

“Oh?”

“Nicholas Baumgarter,” the guy blurted. [hope] “His wife was doin’ Jacobs and Nick said he’d kill him. That’s your man.”

“Nick’s dead, killed before Jake. Did you know Jake… what was your name again?”

[despair] “Oh, god… It’s Sam,” he moaned, putting his head down on the table and moaning. “Samuel Adams Phillips. You’re going to pin Jake’s murder on me, aren’t you?”

“I’m not going to ‘pin’ anything on you. If you’re guilty, you’re guilty,” Ger said firmly. “Otherwise, you’re not.”

[desperation] “Look, I swear I didn’t kill him,” Sam said. “I may not have liked him-”

“Oh?”

[fear, despair, guilt] Sam closed his eyes and swallowed hard. “He beat his wife. Nick, I mean. Jacob was there to patch her up, and console her, and it went too far. Abby tried to leave Nick and he just about killed her. It did cause her to miscarry, which he blamed on her.”

“We’re bringing Abby Baumgarter in, and we’ll verify all of this, of course,” Ger replied.

[concern, fear] “Wait,” Sam said. “Abby’s… she’s an innocent, a sweetheart. She couldn’t be involved in this.”

Ger tilted his head. “I didn’t say she was,” he said softly. “Should I be looking at her?”

[same as before] “God, no! Abby couldn’t hurt a fly,” Sam said softly. “She’s sweet and kind. She just married the wrong man.” [love]

Ger read that sign as his eyebrows rose again. “Sounds like you were fond of her. Maybe… more than fond?”

Sam sighed. “Alright,” he said softly. “I’m… I love her. And she loves me, only me. She was trying to get away from Nick, and she was sleeping with Jacob so that he’d keep supplying her with birth control so that she wouldn’t be tied to Nick by a baby. Once she was away from Nick, we were going to be together.” [love, concern]

Ger excused them all and pulled them back outside. “Well? What do you think? He being truthful, Violet?”

Violet nodded slowly, "As far as I can tell he is extremely emotional about this. Remember that I'm not a lie detector, I can only give you feedback on what I'm picking up. Sam...", she almost felt pity for him, even if he was the murderer.

"... doesn't seem to be the cold blooded murderer type. If he is the murderer then it happened suddenly, without planning.", she tried to recall what she remembered about the corpse.

"Didn't someone slit the throat of the corpse? It didn't look like an accident - more like assault with intention to kill, don't you think? In that case I can't picture Sam being able to do that... but I'm not an expert, that's up to you."

Violet gave the whole thing another thought and added silently, "I think his feelings for her are strong enough to blind his judgement - he could have killed the man in affection - out of desperation. That's all I can say."

She looked at Ger and Jules somewhat satisfied with her own analysis and smiled at them confidently.

James thought, *:Grumble: It's a constant, and unwelcome, surprise how much of a handicap not being able to see someone's facial expressions is. I'm not sure what to think about him, and I'm not sure Violet is actually helping them. Of course give her a few weeks of practice and she might be scary at this.*

*Well... aside from that; We have a lover's triangle with four people. Now why does that sound familiar? One chick and 3 men... I hope the opposite is more stable. It's the men who commit murder and since I'm not that makes things better... I hope.*

*Wait, you're assuming the person being fought over can't kill. That's not a good assumption.*

James commented softly, "All the roads in this lead back to Abby."

Ger nodded. "She's being brought in," he said, shifting his weight on his feet while rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hand. "We'll question her, too. I'd like you on this one, too, Velvet - your readings were accurate and I don't know if we would have gotten his confession of possible motive without it."

Violet nodded at Ger visibly happy that he was approving her help. "I'm feeling ok, lets do it. I suggest we keep the same strategy with her?"

It seemed that Violet's general mood and how well she was performing was directly connected to getting positive feedback from Ger and Jules.

The door opened, and one of Ger's man came in, walking next to a petite, cute woman. Her hair was a vibrant shade of dark brown, and her tanned features were even and gave her a naive cast to her appearance. She was wearing clothing that was too big, and she hunched in it a little, crossing her arms tightly over her skinny frame. Her brilliant blue eyes raised and then lowered when she saw Violet and Jules. Her escort looked less like he was bringing her in and more like he was hovering protectively over her.

As she walked by the room that Sam was in, he jumped to his feet and said, "Abby!" He jumped forward to hug her, but Ger stopped him. His expression anguished, he said, "Look, she had nothing to do with this. I know she couldn't do anything like what you're thinking."

"What am I thinking?" Ger asked, tilting his head.

"You're questioning, you need someone to make guilty, but I know she couldn't do it!" Sam was getting agiatated.

"Sam." Abby's voice was soft, almost inaudible. "It'll be ok. I didn't do anything wrong." She gave him a sweet smile and walked past him, going to the room the guard was indicating.

Violet tried to remain casual as Abby came in. First impressions were important so she focused again to catch up any emotions she could from the beautiful blue eyed woman. Sam's feelings for her were sincere, she was sure about that. The question was if it was mutual or not.

Click to reveal..
Emotional scan on Abby - Spent one WP ag...4d10.hits(7)=3) plus WP totals 4 suxx (!). WP left 4/6

Violet smiled as she reached out with her supernatural senses. It felt almost like reading an open book. Maybe she was getting better at this.

“Ms. Baumgarter, we have a few questions,” Ger said softly, his voice gentler than it had been for the men.

“Abby, please,” she said softly. “I’m going back to my maiden name, soon.” She managed a little smile. “I’d like to leave this part of my life behind.” [nervous, afraid]

“Very well, Abby,” Ger replied. “Let’s start with your husband – you live with him, how come you didn’t find and report his body?”

“I was hiding from him,” she said, her dazzling eyes pleading. “I was finally trying to get away from him. I was going to get a ride to another enclave – anywhere but where he is.” [nervous, desperate, afraid]

“Why didn’t you tell us? That’s what Fox is here for,” Ger told her, his face compassionate.

“He said no one would believe me,” she whispered, her eyes dropping as her lips trembled. “He said no one would know until he killed me, and then it’d be too late for me. Or he’d lock me outside the fence when a zombie was around.” [nervous, afraid]

Ger looked angry and troubled. “Well, he can’t hurt you anymore. We’re almost done, ok?” She nodded quickly. [nervous] “Jacob Kintner. What was your relationship to him?”

Abby’s face crumbled and tears began to fall from her eyes. “I was… trading sex… for birth control,” she sobbed softly. “Nick knew a baby would tie me to him forever and make it hard to leave. And after I miscarried, I thought I had another chance to be free. And he immediately tried to get me pregnant again.” She looked at Ger with eyes shining with tears. “I didn’t want to kill Jacob… I needed him. He was saving me.” [nervous]

“What about Sam Phillips?” Ger asked. “Did you arrange for him to save you from your husband, and then he killed Jacob from jealousy?”

“I… can’t see Sam killing anyone!”Abby exclaimed. “He scared me sometimes-” [nervous]

“Wait, he scared you? Weren’t you in love with him?”

Abby looked down at the table again, wiping her eyes with her long sleeves. “He cornered me one day when Nick wasn’t around. I told him that so he wouldn’t hurt me. He didn’t threaten me, but he was so… intense and scary. I said whatever would make him happy. I know it was wrong, but I was scared.” [nervous, afraid]

“Alright, that’s enough for now. Compose yourself, and let me talk to my people.” Standing Ger gave her a warm smile before leading Jules and Violet into the corridor. “Poor thing, she’s had a rough road,” he sighed. “What do you think, ladies?”

"I think that makes the issues this community may have because of James and I appear like a peccadillo.", Violet mused. At least there was no murder or anything remotely connected to such heinous acts involving their relationship.

"That aside...", she sighed, "there are two options - either she is a very good actress and tries to keep the truth unclear or we're missing out on one thing. That woman - she may be nervous and afraid but you should never underestimate how far a woman would go to get what she wants.", Violet shook her head again.

"I'm assuming too much, sorry. I am in no position to judge her. She could also be the desperate victim in this mess.", the buxom sexbomb shrugged. "I need more practice...", she quietly added to herself. Violet had an unfamiliar determined look in her face as she kept thinking about how to solve this puzzle.

James said, "So either Sam was stalking her and decided to eliminate his competition or Abby decided to kill the people forcing her to sleep with them."

James frowned, "No, wait, we are missing something. With the husband dead the motive for killing the half-doc disappears, and while the first could have been a crime of passion the second wasn't."

James has a light bulb moment and he says, "Her clothing & the way she's holding herself. Strip search her. You'll find treated injuries from the first murder. She killed the doc for knowing too much after he patched her up."

Ger looked at him, then sighed and said, "Jules, I don't have many women. It'd be easier to have you do it. Do you mind?"

"Nope," Jules said, pushing off the wall she'd been leaning on. "But do you all honestly think that little thing could wrestle with a full-grown man and kill him?"

Ger shrugged. "Let's test his theory, anyway. Can't hurt."

"True. Back in a bit." With that, Jules stepped into the room and shut the door. James heard to talk to Abby about what was happening and get Abby's consent.

While they did what they were doing, Ger leaned agianst the wall, looking from James to Violet. "Any other thoughts? I'm going to prevent anyone we've talked to from leaving, but it'll be Fox's call who is guity."

"I think James' intuition is good - she may be the murderer. Maybe we should ask Priest to make a check on her too, see if she is a super and hiding it. People wouldn't believe it, but I can lift a small car if I must."

"I just wished I was better at this, give me some time and practice and I can give you more details - be more precise about all this. I have no experience in this kind of work, but I'm willing to learn. It would be stupid to not take advantage of this, don't you think?", she asked Ger.

"Uhhh," Ger said, his eyes going wide. Violet, still trying to read emotions after doing it all day, almost, was surprised to find that he was made uncomfortable by her question. He was also suddenly afraid.

Before she could learn more, Jules exited the room. "She's got some bruises, but they're old," she said. "They've gotten that yellow color when they've had some time to heal. I don't think that she's been injured recently." She shrugged. "I'm not sure what to make of it."

Ger nodded. "I think it's up to Captain Fox now - I've told the guards to hold people. He'll make the final call as far as judgment goes."

• 3 weeks later...

Fox didn't like this. He'd been presented with all the arguments and heard testimony from the accused and their accusers and he just didn't have a good enough handle on the case to make a decision. All they had evidence wise was circumstantial. He'd read lots of stories like this in the paper back before the Z. Did the kid do it out of feelings for the woman, did the woman snap after years of abuse, there just wasn't enough to determine guilt beyond reasonable doubt and with human life being at an all-time high on the value scale it wasn't a good time to waist two lives. So Morgan did the only thing he could under the circumstances...

"I am going to hold the two accused for one month. During that time I will see if any means of detecting lies using our powers can be developed then I will hear testimony again. The alternative here would be to put both of the accused out of the refuge and I'm not willing to sacrifice an innocent life to punish the guilt not when life is so precious now."

He looked around then focused on the two people, "I don't guarantee that I can figure it out, but I'll try for the sake of which ever one of you two are innocent. If I can't then both of you will be put out. Unless one of you would care to confess of course. Murder is a serious crime, even when under the circumstances. I believe both of the men were guilty of abuse, one of physical and mental abuse the other abusing his position to blackmail you into sex, but there are other ways of handling these things than taking justice into your own hands." That last was addressed to both of the accused.

"Until such time as we have an elected government here I am the law and it is my responsibility to see justice done." He looked back at the woman, "I understand how twisted up emotionally they both had you, but if you had come to me we would have protected you and punished the men. Instead now either you or the young man there or both face exile without supplies or defense against the zombies because of what you have done."

Dan or someone had given him a gavel that had been looted from some courthouse somewhere and he picked it up and rapped the desk with it once decisively. "The two prisoners will be guarded for the next month and will perform service for the community until such time as their fate be decided. Court dismissed."

Violet heard the verdict and especially what Fox had to say about lack of evidence and means to determine what was the truth. Disappointed about her inability to really tell truth from lie Violet looked to the floor and sighed.

I'm not good enough at this, but I promise I will be in a month!

She looked at Jules and Ger and gave them a short smile. At least they knew she did her best. It was the first time anyway so she guessed the results were ok.

"I'll be better next time.", she quietly said to them before she left. "Would you take me home, please?", Violet didn't want to go alone after this.

James heard the verdict and was a hair surprised. He'd expected Fox to come down hard on the man and let the woman go, that was what he would have done. The man was more likely guilty and even if he wasn't, the woman would be unlikely to repeat it. Besides, we-the-community needed her enough to give her a pass.

Maybe Fox didn't believe in scape goats. Maybe he really did believe in justice... which held implications for how James should behave in the future.

Originally Posted By: Violet
"I'll be better next time.", she quietly said to them before she left. "Would you take me home, please?", Violet didn't want to go alone after this.
James heard V's tone and recognized the issue. *On a list of two people she couldn't tell which done it. Ouch babe.*

James said, "Sure."

Archived