Aberrant: Stargate Universe - [Mission SG22]: P3X-559 second visit

Mr Fox

"Ba'al is already here. The men of this village, and I assume any of the others on the planet, are in the holy city training to be in his army against Anubis. They believe a heavenly war is coming, which given the situation in the galaxy isn't really all that far off the mark, minus the religious aspects." Her eyes were on Brion as she spoke matter-of-factly to her captain. "Ba'al must be pretty desperate at this point, if he's training baselines as well as Jaffa. Either that or he simply doesn't care about the casualty rates so long as he wins."

She considered for a brief second, "Or he's making more Jaffa to fill his ranks; I'm not entirely sure how that is done, but I remember a briefing about it happening to General Oneill at some point during a foothold situation at the SGC. In any event, they are well aware of the Goa'uld's presence here, worship him as their god, and have been lying to us throughout most of this conversation."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve apparently relaxed... but inwardly tensed and got ready for the Priest's reaction to this bombshell. Hopefully things would stay verbal and the crew could try to talk their way out of this. Less hopefully he might summon guards or start reaching for a gun or communicator.

Brion lost his nervousness as it was all laid out. "We do not worship Ba'al. We worship as we have been taught for thousands of years from Holy writ. However, the Lord's messengers have come to proclaim that Ba'al is to be obeyed and that there is a war coming in the heavenly realms and that we are to do our small part here in the world. Ours will be but a small piece of the war, but we will gladly do our part. Now, since it is apparent that you are not among the heavenly messengers, I ask that you leave else be declared servants of the fallen one."

Steve sighed, giving the impression of someone who was going to point out an error of someone else. He enjoyed a good con but this one he was going to have to cut short.

He held up a finger and said, "Brion, if you were to take some people back in time, a long time back, then you could pass as a heavenly messenger." Steve made his voice deep and gave a mock proclamation, "Low and behold, I give you this new thing called fire. I shall also teach you how to build..." Steve motioned around the room and lost the deep tone of voice, "...buildings such as this church."

Steve got more serious and said, "That's not god, that's taking advantage of someone's ignorance. You know how fire works, they do not. It's just a trick for you, but for them it's a miracle."

Steve said in an admiring tone of voice, "Now Ba'al, he's got some good tricks. He really knows how to put on a show. He's got the lights, guys in seriously good costumes, weapons that are just unreal. Of course his technology is many centuries more advanced than what you're used to."

Steve got a lot more serious and asked, "So, how closely does he act like a god of good? Making your lives better is he? How closely does getting everyone to kill and die for him match your Holy writ?"

"I understand most of what you say stranger, but I tell you that the divine hand is in this, and the that the people are fired with righteous zeal to follow the will of our Lord. Now please leave before I call my guards and have you placed in chains." He is still nervous but seeming more confident than before.

As Steve spoke, Kyria continued to comb Brion's mind for information and clues as to what was actually going on on this world. As the priest finished his words the young woman moved with preternatural speed and accuracy, catching him by the neck and holding him effortlessly by one arm off the floor. Her eyes were narrowed and she radiate intense rage.

"People like you make me sick. You use your authority, the trust people have in you, and you betray them as soon as you think you'll get rewarded for it." Brion seemed to be trying to speak, maybe scream, but nothing more than a pathetic squeak came of it. He didn't seem to be suffocating, though, just unable to make much noise. "He knows, Captain, at least enough to know that Ba'al and his so called 'heavenly war' is nothing more than a PR trick. Brion here, and many of the other priests too, especially the higher ranked ones, have sold out the people on their planet on the promise of wealth and power from the snake once the war is over. He's allowing the men of his village, the men of his planet, to be sent off to a massacre just so he can have frilly clothes and his pick of the widows left here."

Her voice hissed venom at the corruption of this man and her hand tightened as she spoke, enough that Brion was clawing at her arm and turning an unpleasant shade of purple before she relented enough to let him breathe again. "You deserve many things for what you've done, Brion, and death is probably the most pleasant of the options." Still holding him off the floor and unable to speak, Kyria regained enough of her composure to remember that she was in a command structure and not in charge. "Captain? What do you want to do now?"

Click to reveal..

Telepathy

1d10=9, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=4, 1d10=4 3 suxx

Strength + Brawl:

4d10=31

4 suxx (I screwed up the die roller on this one, but if you click the link it'll show the individual rolls)

"Put the shit down KT, we got bigger fish to gut...knock him out though, no need him calling guards while we get the fuck outta here." Vinny said, glaring at the so-called 'priest'.

Fuckin' hate bein' captured.

"We need to get back to the gate and report, this shit goes waay farther than trading dung bricks."

Steve blinked at these revelations. *Wow, I should have been a Priest... or maybe this is what the church was like back in the day. Priests stopped being god a century or two after the printing press was invented.*

Quote:
"We need to get back to the gate and report, this shit goes waay farther than trading dung bricks."
Steve nodded. Looked like they had a plan.

The trip back to the gate was uneventful. The guards outside the corrupt priest's door simply stood waiting for the priest to summon them, but never challenged the team as they left. The marine backup team at the gate reported no activity and dialed out when Vinny gave the order.

Back at the SGC the debriefing was short and to the point. O'Neill was completely disgusted by the situation and would have liked nothing better than to go back and scalp the priest and all his corrupt little buddies and save the people of P3X-559. Sadly, that was not a decision for him to make given the possibility of ending up in the middle of an interstellar war between Ba'al and Anubis. That had to go to the IOA for review and advisement.

Archived