Aberrant: Stargate Universe - [Mission SG21]: P3X-251

Mr Fox

Gwyn shrugs to Olivia amd quickly moves amongst the lab trying to find any portable bits that have avoided the degradation of the ages and the fluidity of glass. Taking a sack from his backpack he managed to find a few items to bring back to SGC, but by the end of the five minutes the sack is pretty empty still.

"Ready when you are Major."

"Have we sounded out any hidden chambers or false floors? Might as well look for some of those before we head out. Let's find the interior walls and see what we can see."

He checks his watch.

"We have about twenty minutes to burn."

Click to reveal..

First is Mega Perception+Engineering - (16:36:03) ChatBot: (Khalid) rolls 9d10 and gets 10,6,6,7,4,4,3,1,1 = 4 successes

Olivia considered a moment, then stripped out of her jacket and gear to her tank-top. Holding out her bare arms, she began to walk around the room, hoping for tale-tell subtle air currents that might indicate a tunnel hidden behind a wall or floor. When she was near the center of the room, she paused long enough to let out a sonar cry, in a move that was becoming oddly comfortable. Maybe, she reflected as she listened to the weak cry, too familiar. She needed to practice some more.

Click to reveal..
Tactile PErc+Awareness (+3 dice for Analytic Touch): 5 sux

1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=4, 1d10=9, 1d10=10, 1d10=10, 1d10=3, 1d10=4, 1d10=1, 1d10=7

Sonar Perc+Awareness (+3 dice for H-Hearing): 2 sux

1d10=1, 1d10=4, 1d10=9, 1d10=5, 1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=4, 1d10=5

HL: 7/7 | QP: 23/26 | WP: 7/7

Finding nothing in that room, Olivia carried her gear to the other rooms and, after putting it down, tried the same in each of them.

Click to reveal..
(Megas always last die)

Equipment room

Tactile Perc+Awareness (+3 dice for Analytic Touch): 5 sux

1d10=4, 1d10=7, 1d10=9, 1d10=10, 1d10=3, 1d10=3, 1d10=9, 1d10=6, 1d10=7, 1d10=1

Sonar Perc+Awareness (+3 dice for H-Hearing): 5 sux

1d10=7, 1d10=3, 1d10=1, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=10, 1d10=10, 1d10=9, 1d10=3

Gallery room

Tactile Perc+Awareness (+3 dice for Analytic Touch): 6 sux!

1d10=6, 1d10=2, 1d10=5, 1d10=10, 1d10=7, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=3, 1d10=2, 1d10=10

Sonar Perc+Awareness (+3 dice for H-Hearing): 3 sux

1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=5, 1d10=4, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=1, 1d10=2

There wass definitely another chamber off the Gallery. Olivia could 'hear' that behind the throne there was a section of wall that was not solid. It was hidden pretty well but someone had opened it and neglected to close properly.

"Major," she said, "there's something here." She pointed it out, then waited as it was opened and allowed to air a bit. The hall beyond lead to what were obviously some personal chambers. Olivia looked around the room, not surprised to see the hieroglyphs that represented Ra on the archway. While they are a little less grand than what he was used to later in his reign, it was still Ra's room, without doubt.

The group fanned out and searched this room, too. They found some personal items, but the only object of importance in the room was a gou'ald data terminal. There was no power in it, but it was still a significant find.

By the quiver that went through Olivia's body, Caine could tell this was important.

"Spec J-I, why don't you carry that one out of here. Keep me assessed on what you discover. I think we've found enough for one day. Let's get out of here before the Bug Zapper goes down, or one of the swamp denizens decides to see what kind of meal we'll make."

"This time, Dec, you are on point. Next is Olivia then Gwyn, and I'll take up the rear. Time to go home."

With everything they were taking packed up,

"Let's move out," he grins. One more thing to do and mission accomplished. All they had to do was get home.

Gwyn takes his place in the marching order, having gone dense again and reactivating his flight to manage in the swamp. He keeps his hand on the grip ready to fire if necessary, but has a net in his left hand, just in case.

Click to reveal..

Per+awareness = 7 dice

(21:03:18) ChatBot: (Gwyn_Jones) rolls 7d10 and gets 7,9,3,4,4,9,9.

4 sux

Caine takes tail-end charlie and keeps his gaze moving aorund, switching into the infra-red and image enhancement to better scope out his surroundings.

Click to reveal..

Perception+Awareness [first one a Mega](16:16:24) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 9d10 and gets 8,2,1,4,3,3,1,5,2 = 2 successes

Olivia literally walked with her sidearm slung, her head bent over the tablet for a moment, but finally she shook her head. "Sorry, Major," she said, carefully tucking the data machine away, "its batteries are dead, I can't get anything out of it."

She put the device away and returned her attention to the trek back to the gate - and home. Home, with all your problems, but no killer bugs. Hard choice, girl.

As the team left the temple it became immediately apparent that circumstances had changed while they were inside. Over the sounds of the swamp could be heard harsh guttural chanting. It was hard to tell but it was probably coming from the direction of the Stargate island. The only question was whether or not these would be possessed Unas or free, and of course whether they would be definitely hostile or only territorial. From the sound they were a good distance off through the swamp.

They were definitely between the team and their exit. Time to take a different approach.

He stops his team then,

"Declan", he says over the headset. When the Sergeant arrives, Caine lays out his plan. Declan was to circle around to get behind them. Caine and the Doc would go right up the middle to talk to these creatures (a bad outcome) or attempt a first contact (possibly worse outcome). Olivia would attempt to translate Goa'uld if there was an Unas hosting a snake, or dealing with rogue Unas if that was the case.

Gwen would use his stealth up along the tree level over the team, so that if it came down to an attack, they would be gunning at them from three seperate directions. If it came to hand to hand, he could then drop like a stone on them.

This attack left them soft in the center, but the Major and Doc had to rely on their team mates to get them out of trouble if things got dicey.

"Okay. Everyone understand what our plan is? Declan take off. We'll advance in fifteen."

"Guys, remember," Olivia said before Declan disappeared, "Unas are supposed to be an exceptionally tough and hardy, and significantly stronger than us, well, Caine and I. Other SG teams have reported emptying an entire magazine from a P90 into an healthy Unas and had it keep fighting. If we run into a Goa'uld possessed Unas, it'll be even more powerful, with exceptional regeneration abilities that will allow it to survive and recover from multiple bullet wounds even without the aid of a sarcophagus, able to speak English and Goa'uld." She glanced from face to face to be sure they had understood, then fell into a worried silence, trying to think of any advantage that could help them.

"Major, you should put in your earbud on your walkie-talkie," she added when it was just the two of them moving forward. "That way, I can communicate with Dec and Gwyn without the Unas hearing them or me, and you'll not be cut out. Who knows how much these know - they aren't dumb, just primitive."

Once he began to walk forward, Olivia followed, her brain frantically looking up every detail she had read from Daniel's interactions with Chaka. Yeah, Daniel... he did this, and from a worse position then you're in, currently. He played the Unas Jane Goodall successfully, how hard can it be?

He's Daniel.

Idol worship aside, he's no smarter than you. And you have his research in your head. You'll be fine.

Right until they eat my face.

Unas don't eat faces.

But they do eat meat. And as Vinny pointed out once, I'm still made of meat. Fortified with that lovely thought, Olivia proceeded nervously.

Click to reveal..
Perc+Awareness (nothing fancy, just trying to spot things before they come at her): 3 sux

1d10=2, 1d10=6, 1d10=7, 1d10=8, 1d10=8, 1d10=6, 1d10=6

Gwyn was concerned about his own Stealth ability, or lack thereof, but at least being up near the tops of the trees and moving fairly slowly he should be less noticeable than down on the ground.

He moved out, lifting up to the treetops, with his P90 at the ready, keeping an eye out for any sign of Unas or snakes.

Click to reveal..

Awareness = 5+2 = 7 dice

(01:42:56) ChatBot: (Gwyn_Jones) rolls 7d10 and gets 1,4,8,8,9,4,7.

4 sux

Stealth = 5+1 = 6dice

(01:44:19) ChatBot: (Gwyn_Jones) rolls 6d10 and gets 8,5,1,8,1,7.

3 sux

Health = Healthy

QP = 20/30

WP = 4/4

Gwynn was the first to see the Unas. They were gathered around the Stargate chanting. It was hard to tell, but they seemed to be big males. The smallest of them was well over six foot tall and more muscled than any human body builder. They looked like nothing so much as big grey demons. One thing that was immediately noticeable and a good sign was that they each wore animal skins and carried large stone tipped spears and had what seemed to be a woven wicker collars around their necks. These at least were unlikely to be possessed.

None of the Unas seemed to be paying attention to anything other than the gate for the moment. Unfortunately, it would take Declan a good 20 minutes more to circle around back to the gate than the rest of the team to get there.

That left Gwyn hovering near the top of a tree staying out of sight watching the Unas as everyone else approached.

Caine and Olivia were in position on the ground before Declan could radio in, but the Unas had finished their chanting by then and were getting to their feet. Before it ended the chanting had grown more feverish and intense culminating in terrifying howls no human could have produced. There were nine of the creatures and the largest and most fierce looking growled something and the other eight formed up in a straight line as they began to move toward Caine and Olivia's positions. Moving in the direction of the temple.

((This would be a good time for everyone to roll init. Dec is still 5 minutes out on his approach from their rear.))

Init = 9+d10

(02:56:15) ChatBot: (Gwyn_Jones) rolls 1d10 and gets 3.

Gwyn on Init 12

While relaying the situation and numbers about the Unas, Gwyn will take careful aim at the head of the one apparently in charge.

Olivia had heard the saying, "Every plan lasts until the first engagement with the enemy." She'd understood it intellectually; it made sense. The reality was much more visceral. *Uh, Caine... this has gone downhill,* she said, sharing with everyone in the team. She tried to control the fear in her 'voice'; she was sure she'd failed. *Declan, I don't think we can get off the path safely if they don't like us.*

That just meant that she had to make sure that they liked them. Eyes down, remain calm, offer a gift, she told herself.

Click to reveal..
Init (+7): 9

1d10=2

HL: 7/7 | QP: 20/26 | WP: 7/7

HH is active for 4 rounds

'This makes the water even less appealing. We stay on the path and meet them head up. I have a plan.'

Caine reached out and pulled pulled out his knife and opened up his shirt so that his collar was clearly visiable.

I am going to show them we both fear and hate the snakes. I'm going to bit of talking to the big man chief to chief and see how that pans out. Olivia get some food bars out. Study their reactions for me and help me understand what their speech patterns are like.

Click to reveal..

(22:11:56) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d10 and gets 9+10=19

*Sir,* Olivia sent over the radios, *I advise against approaching him as an equal. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but if he feels you're challenging him, there will be a fight. They are tribal and ruled by an alpha male selected by martial strength. Kowtowing and bribery are my recommendations.*

She was getting the food out, trying to have them ready just in case they were needed. She was terrified, but holding herself together for now.

The Unas marched forward single file near the middle of the trail keeping a wary eye out to both sides as well as the front. When they came into sight they stopped in their tracks and looked first dumbfounded then angry at the presence of outsiders. The Unas looked unhappy but undecided on what to do. The two in the front of the line growled in their language something to each other, but the others maintained watch on the trail and waters at the side of it. They seemed to be gesturing one pointing his spear in your direction and the other in the direction of the stargate. Finally the 'leader' seemed to win out and they continued their approach.

They stopped only 15 paces in front of Caine and Olivia. The big one in front growled something even Olivia couldn't understand or translate. They seemed a little calmer than before, but given their alien facial structure it was hard to tell the difference between an angry growl from any other. One thing that was perhaps unexpected, they had eyes that seemed intelligent.

"Grraakkklwwwuuullllnnnn." He gestured at the two with his spear while the two men behind him each stepped slightly out of line to raise their spears and aim them toward you while scanning the area.

Whatever happens you don't want to go back to the temple with them. They aren't likely to be happy about us opening it up and taking stuff away. Doc I hope that device you brought back is well under cover.

Gwyn took carefull aim at the leader, their apparent indecision would hopefully show itself again if he went down.

Look meek, Livy. I want them aiming at me.

Caine stepped forward two strong steps, and close enough to get easy access to a bush.

"I" pointing at chest "come from the Star Gate" pointing in the direction they came from. "I have come to see the temple" half turning to point toward the temple. Are you the Guardians of this place?"

He looks at the leader then lowers his gaze. Prolonged eye contact seemed like a bad idea and agreeing with Olivia seemed the best course of action.

"I bring a gift."

Damien takes the knife and slashes the bush, cutting off a small branch (very small).

"Very Sharp," he says to the chief then, "For you."

Caine steps foward, head lowered and offers the knife, pommel first, to the chief.

"We mean no offense."

Unspoken was, Let me and my team go our way and you go yours. If I can make it so that the next team has good relations won't suck either, but one thing at a time.

Shaking, Olivia had no problem following her commander's orders; she crouched on the dirt path, holding the energy bars in one hand. According to Daniel's notes, Chaka had liked these so maybe the other ones would, too. Her other hand was tight on her P90, trying not to think about actually using it.

Daniel was right, she thought, looking at those intelligent eyes. They're smart.

And she might have to shoot at them to save her team. She wasn't sure she could do that; she wasn't sure she could hurt another sentient being.

The three Unas watching the humans reacted with spear pointing and thrusting as Damien stepped forward, but did not attack. The message was clear, Don't come any closer. When Caine cut the bush then offered the knife the big one in front bowed up as if he were about to attack but then settled as he understood that he was being offered a gift. He gestured at the ground at Caine's feet, again the message was understandable, Put it on the ground.

Caine did as the Unas chief wanted and backed up after setting it down. The big leader took up the knife in his left hand and examined it. He seemed pleased, but the knife looked almost a toy in his massive hand. He placed it in his belt managing not to slice himself. He looked to the other human who was making herself look as small as possible.

Livy looked very frightened as she stepped forward and placed the energy bars on the ground respectfully then moved back as quickly as she thought safe.

The big Unas picked those up as well and examined them but looked confused as to what they were. He sniffed them, but couldn't detect any smell through the wrapper.

Olivia stepped slowly over to Caine and asked him for one of his bars; when he passed it to her, she held it up and clearly peeled back the wrapper. As the Unas watched her with those too-smart eyes for their rough faces, she bit off a bit of the bar and chewed in an exaggerated motion. Tipping her head back a little, she distinctly swallowed. "Food," she said, dropping her eyes and nodding.

The leader mimicked the Olivia but had a difficult time opening the wrapper with his big fingers. After a couple tries he managed to get the tasty snack free and took a small bite and chewed for a moment before grimacing, or perhaps smiling, it was hard to tell, but he lowered his spear point and passed the bar to one of his people behind him who took his turn tasting the treat. He grunted what must have been appreciation before passing it on. As soon as each finished he came back on guard and it was apparent that they had very strict rules about watching for danger. At no time was more than two or three of the Unas ever doing something other than watching for danger.

Just as the 'chief' was starting to look amenable to the teams' passage his right hand guard growled a low menacing rumble and raised his spear and loosed in a throw towards where Olivia squatted trying to remain small and unthreatening.

((Perception + Awareness please.))

Click to reveal..

Gwyn's Per+Awareness = 7 dice, no Mega
(02:27:05) ChatBot: (Gwyn_Jones) rolls 7d10 and gets 10,8,8,7,3,10,10.
= 6 sux

Damn I must remember to go through and do his qualities some day wink

Click to reveal..

Perception+Awareness(21:39:14) ChatBot: (Caine) rolls 9d10 and gets 5,6,6,4,6,5,8,7,6 = 2 successes
Dex+Athletics (21:43:50) (Caine): Spending a willpower
(21:43:58) ChatBot: (Caine) rolls 8d10 and gets 8,1,2,6,7,2,7,6 = 4 successes

Seeing the spear, Caine tries (if possible) to jump on Livy, pulling them both off the path. It didn't seem to be the whole thing. Maybe this could be alleviated without further bloodshed.

"Hold fire!" he called out loud and over the radio.

Olivia could feel a certain amount of pride in the fact that she did not in fact freeze under direct attack from a massive male attacker. Unfortunately her instincts were not well honed enough yet and she ended up dodging into the path of the onrushing spear. Caine tried valiantly to dive on Olivia to knock her out of the way. It succeeded and the spear sailed just over them. The bad news was that they landed half in and half out of the water at the edge of the path.

The three lead Unas wasted no time and charged toward the two prone SG members grabbing them pinning their arms at their sides and turning them this way and that. The one that had Olivia forced her mouth open with one of his massive hands and peered inside as if trying to look down her throat. Caine was not so easy to subdue...

Relax both of you and let them check you out. They were after a Ga'ould heading for Livy and they got it. Major, point it out to them, back on the ground split by the spear. It should settle them down some.

Despite his message Gwyn has retargeted the Unas holding the Major in case they decide to get too rough.

Olivia was way ahead of Gwyn. The second that she'd felt the massive clawed hands drag her out of the water, she'd gone limp and passive. She still shivered, but she didn't fight them, not even when they pried open her mouth. If you want the food, I'll give it back, just let me get a finger down my throat and you can have anything you want from my stomach, just let me get it out for you and please don't rip off my jaw...

She relaxed a little more when she heard all of Gwyn's message. Olivia was glad they'd nicked the Goa'uld, but she really needed them to let go of her soon. She was also glad she'd had that scar from Jaltor's attempt surgically altered. That might have been awkward.

Caine shrugged aside the first assualt on himself using the best mixed martial arts moves as he tried to get his barrings. Gwyn's infromation was critical and he made a waving gesture to the spear, stood up,and touched his neck guard. His hands went to his side and he looked at the closest Unas and opened his mouth wide.

Now if his other two people held their fire and Olivia held her shit together. Mission dictated that if she wigged, and her life was not in imminent danger, she would have to suffer some. If Declan could hold himself through that was another question.

Luckily Dec was still several minutes away due to the flanking maneuver so posed no threat to the situation. Once Caine cooperated and showed his neck and throat the three relaxed and released Livy. The one that had tossed the spear retrieved it and spat at the goa'uld's remains. The chief clapped him on the back and growled something that made the rest of the Unas rumbled in what could only be laughter though it was pretty alien.

When everyone was safely back in the center of the solid path the chief clapped Caine on the shoulder and motioned for him to move in the direction of the stargate.

Caine didn't want to show teeth, but he did nod and say "Thank you" to the chief and again to the Unas that had thrown the spear. The old joke occured to him,

"Livy, can you walk?"

Covering his talking to her,

*Hold you position Jones until they move by. Same for you Sergeant. Let's not spook them now.*

Olivia stood up more or less on her own, though she remained half-bent over, hands braced on her knees while she struggled to be calm. "Sir, yes, sir," she said breathlessly, then pushed her energy consumption a bit and renewed her connection to the radio waves; it had run out during her oral exam. *Radio Olivia is back,* she tried to joke, though even her mental voice was shaky. *Can we please go now? I smell like a swamp.*

It was easier to complain about that than remember clawed hands on her body and face.

The nine Unas escorted the two humans back to the stargate island and looked curiously expectant to see what they would do. The Unas took up a semi-circular position around the gate like they had had when chanting but did not go to their knees. About the time that Caine was having to decide what to do next Declan came up the other path and the Unas looked curiously toward him waiting to see if he would be hostile or not.

You're doing fine Doc, I still got you covered if they try anything funny. Let me kknow If you want me to change what I'm doing Major, otherwise I'm just going to sit here and cover you lot.

Gwyn will make sure that he can see the DHD well enough to note any addresses dialled, moving as little as possible to do so, but at least most if not all of the Unas have there backs to him now.

*Their guard is down Jones. Drop down and come on in.*

Caine nods and waves Declan over. He looks to the Chief,

"He is with me."

The Major then motions to the other section of the woods were, in general, Gwyn is.

"Jones," he says with an exaggerated wave, "come on in. Time to go home."

Nodding to Olivia,

"Specialist, when Jones enters the perimeter, dail us home. I'm sure they will get a kick when they see how important you are to us ... from their perspective."

He tries not to grin too hard.

'She's had it rough, but she's taking a good mission home with her. Besides ... no. Can that thought. She may look good with a smudge of mud, but she handled herself way under extreme stress today. She really did.'

With Jones added in and everyone seeing that the Unas were really at ease in their presence, Caine gave Livy the nod to dial them home. When the portal stabalized, Caine went over and nodded once more in respect to the Unas Leader. With that, he led his team through the shimmering and back to Earth, home sweet home.

When the gate activated the Unas fell to the ground and began to chant. With such alien faces it was hard to tell but the reaction would suggest awe at seeing the gate work. You may have just confirmed their faith in whatever it is they believe in.

The trip back through the gate and the subsequent debriefing and was fairly painless. O'Neill wasn't completely happy that no larva were brought back, but the data terminal more than made up for it. It was quickly taken away for the scientists to drool on and play with.

Archived