Aberrant: Dead Rising - What it's like

SkyLion

((This fic takes place on the second day after the return from Elijah's; the first day afyter Jon and Maddie drove into the Refuge; during the day and prior to the metting in Taking Cousel.))

Background Music

Jon made his way warily across the dusty trodden ground of the main Refuge settlement. With each step, a greater dread and uncomfortability sank into his boots as he made his way toward the garish purple sign proclaiming the owner of the establishment.

'Violet's.'

Jon's forte had never been in the social realm, even at the best of times. He had always ben more isolated, an only child, and he had always poured himself single mindedly into whatever his current discipline. The woman he was going to meet was just about his exact opposite, one who made her way through the world upon beauty, charm, and grace.

Still, he owed it to his partner...for sticking with him through the most trying circumstances. Madison had saved him from his own sickness, and convinced him that life could still be worth living...that there could be a cure. Now he had a chance to do the same for her, and rumour had it that the reclusive goddess he now sought had power to sway the soul. Perhaps she could help save Maddie's.

With caution, Jon slid the door open to the current construction. The walls were in place, as was the plumbing and wiring, but they seemed naked awaiting the drywall and decoration. Dusty motes filled beams of light shafting through the subdued dimness of the room casting shadows upon the unlit stage. They had certainly accomplished quite a bit in a very short time.

"Hello?" Jon echoed into the empty air.

A few moments later, Violet came down the stairs and Jon had to avert his gaze.

Lately quiet a few people had come to the refuge and naturally most would show up sooner or later at Violet's. Most of the time people just wanted to get a look at the 'goddess' that lived there. Violet had gotten used to it and a very large part of her liked it that way.

The incredibly curvaceous woman had slung a silken kimono over her body. Underneath she wore a bodice that left nothing to the imagination as its fabric was a completely pinkish see-through. If Jon had looked at her string he could've made out the embroidered words "Wish you where here" on it.

Of all the newcomers Violet had expected his appearance the least likely but there he was - Jon, the extremely tall and broad man who claimed to be a doctor but looked more like André the Giant who was a wrestler. Assuming that he wasn't here to have a look at her she wrapped the kimono around her body trying to conceal it a bit more which was futile but at least he could tell that she wasn't trying to seduce him... yet.

She walked towards him with swaying hips and stopped at the bar giving him a brief look over. "Are you looking for me?", she asked innocently with a slight flirtatious undertone in her voice.

"Y-yes I am." Jon stammered, still looking away. Jon was actually a foot shorter than the real Andre although something about him seemed just as intimidating.

"People around here...they talk about you. Say you have power over others...how they feel. Is that true?" Jon allowed himself a durtive flance in her direction and immediately regretted it. His bronze cheeks turned a deeper shade and he swallowed dryly. Completely flustered he turned, about to leave.

"I-I'm sorry. Perhaps I shouldn't have come..."

Here we go again, Violet thought. Ever since she disclosed what she was capable of people stopped acting normal around her. As if knowing that she could manipulate their emotions automatically implied that she would do that all the time. It was like a self fulfilling prophecy - the more people believed in it the more it became 'truth' and less 'fiction'.

Her flirtatious tone was gone as she answered, replaced by something close to disenchantment, "Yes, that's what I do. I can feel what you feel - I can change how you feel. But before you get started: I never did that to you so whatever you're feeling right now is you and not my doing. I won't apologize for being me."

Violet was tired of justifying her existence but it did not show on her perfect face. This time her smile was a perfect mask keeping the facade under which she hid her true emotions. Yes, she was a master of emotions but sometimes it was a curse. She half expected Jon to leave right away and though she didn't want to at first she briefly extended her senses to get an impression of his emotional state. Maybe she could discern what his intentions were without judging him right away for a simple question?

Click to reveal..

Jon was, in a word, completely intimidated by the beauty of the woman before him. It wasn't shame, nor true lust, nor envious desire. The feeling was closer to a subtle yet deeply rooted sense of unworthiness. In the days before her eruption, Violet had no doubt encountered many men, emasculated to their own sexual power and therefore unable to meet a desirous woman with the appropriate energy. There was also concern, but not for himself, as verifed by his next words.

"I've made no accusations." he answered. "I'm actually here on behalf of someone close to me. My partner Maddie...I think...I think she could really use your kind of help right now. We don't have the luxury of time necessary for psychopharmacology. Too much trial and error and it would still just be treating the symptoms. In the old world id recommend therapy but I'd be surprised if there was a single one of us who couldn't go for some analysis, assuming we could even find a surviving shrink. Frankly I'm concerned that she may try to hurt herself, and right now you may be her best chance for a full recovery."

Jon still could not bring himself to look at her, his gaze planted firmly at his feet. At least is was better than most men who were hypnotized by her cleavage.

If Jon had looked at her he would've seen how her smile went from perfectly beautiful to outright mindshattering. The room seemed to light up a little or maybe the sun was rising just right there?

"You want me to help you?", she said, less a question and more a stating of fact. She could sense his intentions were sincere, no deceit or trickery was in his words. It made her happy that for once someone looked for her help and advice and was not trying to point out all the wrongs she was doing.

"I'm no therapist, though. But if you trust my abilities I do my best to help her. Did you talk with her about this? Does she know about your plans?", she almost knew the answer to those questions before she asked them. Jon was like an open book to her and she almost pitied him for feeling intimidated by her presence. That's one thing she didn't want but she couldn't anything about it without directly manipulating him.

"Jon, you can relax - I'm not going to do anything to you. I promise.", Violet came closer and he could see from the corner of his eyes that she was faintly glowing - like an angel.

Jon sighed heavily and slumped into a nearby stool which groaned in protest unser his size and mass.

"I...I know you're not going to." he said with resignation. "It's just that well...you're really really...pretty. And It's just kind of a lot to tak-ah! Violet...you're...glowing!" he flinched in his chair, for the first time fully taking her in. His eyes dilated completely, as is the natural response when viewing something so directly hardwired to the pleasure centers of the brain. In fact what Jon was experiencing was a combination of awe mixed with a near mortal terror bordering on panic. He sat there, frozen with overstimulation. To his credit he didn't drool and managed to whisper, "Oh my."

Violet's enthusiasm got the better of her and she realized too late which effect she was having on Jon. She looked down at herself and quickly doused the glow.

"I'm sorry Jon, I didn't mean to...", she sounded a bit embarrassed.

"I sometimes don't notice what I'm doing. Do you want me to calm you down - make you feel more comfortable around me so we can talk 'normally'?", there was not a hint of malcontent in her voice. Her offer sounded genuine and concerned about his well-being.

"Actually that would be very helpful," he said still stunned.

It wasn't the glow...it was her. It has been said that if one were to meet God, then one would die immediately from the sheer overwhelming Beauty. His Seraphim, with 6 wings, used one pair to shield their eyes from the holy terror of His Majesty, even as they endlessly chanted their mantra; "Holy Holy Holy is the Name of the Lord." His messengers were said to be equally terrifying and the word awful and awe meant much the same thing in the original parlance. Surely, the being before him was unlike anything any mortal had ever seen and in that instant Jon could understand that the ancient myths of the gods held more than tribal hyperbole. In that instant, Jon had for the second time in as many days been rocked to the core of his beliefs, and his Faith in Reason been tested. Genetics, parasites, and bio-organisms Jon could understand...but no virus could be capable of this.

"Hold on then.", she said softly and concentrated on Jon's aura. He was stricken by her appearance half terrified and half awed which in combination caused him to panic. His heart rate had increased and his face blushed red with excitement.

Violet carefully exerted her control slowly reducing his general emotional state of uneasyness and fear. His heart resumed a normal pace and Jon felt the constriction of anxiety loosen around his chest until he felt... relaxed? To his surprise he suddenly felt ok around her, almost comfortable.

Jon blinked a few times as his emotional confusion got gently controlled by Violet. After a few more seconds he felt something like sympathy and a general trust towards her. It was as if talking to her was a thing he could do without being constantly reminded about the effect her appearance could cause to him - especially on heterosexual males.

Whatever just happened for a moment Jon felt like Violet could turn out to be a good friend of his' if they spent more time together.

"Are you feeling better now?", she asked carefully knowing that she had to do quiet a lot in terms of controlling his emotional state. Jon seemed to be a very emotional type, something she hadn't expected given his background and appearance.

"You love her, don't you?", she added before he could muster an answer to her previous question.

Click to reveal..

Jon took a deep breath and relaxed visibly, subtle lines of tension easing out of his face. He then took a second deep breath and blinked. He felt a peace and tranquility usually reserved for deep meditation and considered by some esoteric monks to be the height of ecstacy. It was an unusual and yet strangely familiar sensation, as the rememberance of a long forgotten understanding. The swirling analytical torrents of his mind ceased their endless dance, a stormy sea subdued to calm waters.

"Yes, to both questions." Jon answered.

"This is, actually quite extraordinary. I mean...you're, you're still well, um...beautiful...but it feels much more natural now. smile This must be how Bond feels around women, calm and collected. No wonder he can be so smooth with such wits about him. Now that I know what this feels like, I should be able to access this state more and more easily around you, and in general. Of course it will take some practice."

Her adjustments seemed to have worked quite well, as he began to act more normally and allow his true personality to shine through. He definitely could talk alot when he was inspired as he seemd to be very much in this moment.

"Violet...you must be having a direct effect on the chemistry of the brain! Do you realize what this means? What you can do with a thought, psychiatrists have been attempting, and crudely at that, for centuries! Of course, there should be a legitamate inquiry into any potential short and long term side effects or addictive properties but for now I believe that the rewards outweigh the risks to treat Maddie. I'd love to observe the effects more closely with my equipment, see exactly which areas are being stimulated and we may even be able to determine how.

Jon actually approach and put his hand lightly on her shoulder, seeming completely comfortable as he looked her straight and deep in the eyes with lucid authenticity.

"She means a great deal to me and I don't think I'd be here today if she hadn't loved me in return. I haven't told her yet no...you asked me that earlier before I was, well, you know... She and I have been alone for quite some time now and she hasn't adjusted very well. I left her to get reaquainted with a community atmosphere."

He smiled contentedly at her.

Jon was like exchanged - like a whole different personality after she made her 'adjustments'. He almost beamed with confidence as he spoke. Of course making him feel comfortable automatically resulted in more self confidence - that was a natural response. Many emotions affected eachother, enhancing effects on their own and causing chain reactions. It was a tricky thing since Violet had little control over the after effects - she could only directly control the emotions that were present.

Violet smiled at Jon glad that he approved of her manipulation and at the same time got a live impression of how her powers worked. His scientific approach was a bit disenchanting, though.

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
"Violet...you must be having a direct effect on the chemistry of the brain! Do you realize what this means? What you can do with a thought, psychiatrists have been attempting, and crudely at that, for centuries! Of course, there should be a legitamate inquiry into any potential short and long term side effects or addictive properties but for now I believe that the rewards outweigh the risks to treat Maddie. I'd love to observe the effects more closely with my equipment, see exactly which areas are being stimulated and we may even be able to determine how.

As he looked her straight in the eyes he saw how her unnaturally violet eyes sparkled with an indescribable quality - like perfectly cut diamonds.

"I'm not sure if I'd ever given it thought in that way, Jon. I'm not a scientist and it sure doesn't feel like I'm affecting body chemistry in your brain."

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
"She means a great deal to me and I don't think I'd be here today if she hadn't loved me in return. I haven't told her yet no...you asked me that earlier before I was, well, you know... She and I have been alone for quite some time now and she hasn't adjusted very well. I left her to get reaquainted with a community atmosphere."

He smiled contentedly at her.

"Jon, I think you underestimate your feelings for her. Of course I will help you but I want to make sure that Maddie wants this kind of help, too. Please make sure of that - and I want you to be there and observe. I don't mind what you do but I think it is very important for both of you. You are emotionally hurt, too. I can feel that, Jon.", Violet never broke eye-contact with him and he sensed that he could get lost in those beautiful eyes and her entrancing voice if his focus was off.

Quote:
"I'm not sure if I'd ever given it thought in that way, Jon. I'm not a scientist and it sure doesn't feel like I'm affecting body chemistry in your brain."

Jon gets excited with the opportunity to talk about his favorite subject, neurobiology.

"Oh but you are! You see, one way or another...our bodies and brains are hardwired to respond to certain stimulus, an inheritance from our primal past. Attractive females, especially when in heat , release pheremones...chemical markers picked up by the sensitive olfactory system that indicate their fertility. And in humans, we have no set mating season...our bodies are perpetually on the lookout for an opportunity to propagate our genetic material. Furthermore, when a person sees something beautiful or attractive, the eyes dilate." And indeed his eyes are as wide as a psychedelic explorer.

"In humans, we know that certain proportions, hip to waist ratio, and volume of breast size, indicate a superior capacity for child bearing, again information that is difectly hardwired into the human brain. So you see, even a "normal" attractive woman, or man, has an effect on the people around them. I suspect that your...pardon my term but, inhumanly beautiful countenance is being enhanced not only by your prportional endowments, but by the very chemistry of your body! It's nothing to be ashamed about really...although I can imagine how it makes life complicated for you. It's impossible to "turn off" such hard wired physiological effects, especially when half the chemical equation is happening in the bodies of those around you...as they say, beauty is in the brain of the beholder..." he smiled, pleased with his own eloquence under such...challenging circumstances.

Quote:
"Jon, I think you underestimate your feelings for her. Of course I will help you but I want to make sure that Maddie wants this kind of help, too. Please make sure of that - and I want you to be there and observe. I don't mind what you do but I think it is very important for both of you. You are emotionally hurt, too. I can feel that, Jon.", Violet never broke eye-contact with him and he sensed that he could get lost in those beautiful eyes and her entrancing voice if his focus was off.

"Yeah..." his voice faltered slightly as she reminded him of his own darker emotions, and he looked downcast a bit.

"It's been...really hard. I mean...I have these...things inside of me and I'm...I'm not fully human anymore. It's been terrifying. And Maddie...i don't know why she has stayed with me. I'm becomming a monster...slowly, by inches, and so far it would seem...irrevocably." He stops and sighs.

"We should ask her...together..."

• 2 weeks later...

Jon’s analytic assessment made her feel less human and more like a subject to study although she sensed that he was being absolutely sincere and was not trying to objectify her. At least not in a way most males would do around her. As long as she kept him relaxed around her he could focus on being himself and not someone he would ‘turn’ into because of her.

There was a lot of compassion when she answered, “Jon, you’ve put a lot of responsibility on your shoulders – not only for yourself. I can feel that. I’m glad you’ve found the courage to ask me to help you with Maddie’s situation but I can’t give you any guarantees. I hope I can do something to ease her pain… and maybe yours, too. I’m here for you too, if you need someone to talk to.”

She stood up and walked back to the door to her quarters again. “Let me put on something more decent and then we go and ask her, is that alright Jon?”

"Sure. And Thanks." Jon answered.

If mellow was a man, this would be him. In fact, Jon could not remember a time he felt so contented. Rationally he knew it was what she had done to him, playing with the chemical reactions in his brain. It didn't make it feel any less good though and so Jon relaxed into it and smiled. He had almost forgotten what it felt like, to be glad to be alive.

It didn;t take long for Violet to return.

"Okay. Let's go find her..."

Violet came back wearing skintight bluejeans and a white button down shirt which obviously belonged to a man. Even though the shirt was extra large it still failed to cover her immense bust and Violet didn’t bother to button it where it would just leave diamond shaped gaps in between buttons. Instead she just tied the lower part into a knot leaving her midriff bare and buttoned the shirt under her breasts generating a deep v-neck. It was still the best thing she could do to get dressed in a more ‘civilised’ way.

She gave Jon a friendly smile and ‘hooked’ herself under one of his strong arms and looked up to him. “I’m all yours.”, she said confidently unaware that she was subconsciously ‘hitting’ on him. Her eyes wandered down his large frame and there was a hint of a flirtatious smile on her face while her mind drifted of to another ‘what-if’ situation. Large, strong men definitely made her all tingly and it showed.

Jon arched an eyebrow.

"Now Miss Violet..behave."

He delicately disentangled himself from her arm.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to reject your company but it's important to be aware of the effects our actions have on others. I doubt Maddie would be very receptive should she see you hanging all over me..."

Oblvious to what she was doing Violet first didn’t understand what Jon implied but then slowly realized what was going on. She quickly backed off from him and looked at him through worried eyes.

„I’m so sorry… I… I sometimes don’t realize what I’m doing, Jon. Please forgive me, it’s unintentional but I have trouble controlling this…“, she realized she was telling too much and wanted to spare herself any further embarressment.

„Lets find her and see if I can help you, ok?“, Violet quickly added trying to bring the subject back to the topic they were talking about. She opened the door and looked around without a clue. She had no idea where Jon and Maddie had their quarters.

„Where to?“, she asked hoping that Jon wouldn’t push the matter about her little ‚flirt’.

Jon was right; they found her by the construction on the wall, watching the people work. It was a good compromise for her. She could be close to people, but she didn't have to interact with them much, beyond getting out of their way when she was in the wrong spot. People looked at her curiously, but most of them were too busy to talk to the stranger, even if she was pretty and seemed to be alone.

Violet had never seen Maddie before but Jon's reaction when he saw her was all she needed to point her out from the crowd. Maddie was watching the people working the wall doing "an all day job" as it seemed. Under different circumstances the construction site would be like any other in any given city and so it gave the observer the general impression that people were having a "regular live" around here.

"That's her.", Violet nodded towards Maddie and gave Jon a knowing smile. She stopped right there and let Jon approach Maddie first. She refocused her concentration on Jon's lover and extended her senses to Maddie.

Maddie smiled at Jon as he approached. "Well," she said softly, glancing at the workmen, whose attitudes toward her shifted subtly as Jon stopped close to her. "I was just watching the wall and enjoying the sun."

She might have been enjoying the sun, Violet felt, but she derived no pleasure from it. There was little room for pleasure in the bleakness that was Maddie's emotional landscape. There were glimmers of light, streaks of hope, love and brighter emotions that briefly lit up the landscape. But it wasn't enough. Violet had seen people this depressed; it was common now, with the state of the world. It didn't make it any easier to "see" again.

• 2 weeks later...

Maddie’s emotional state had a direct affect on Violet’s own emotions. Her flirtatious thoughts were cast away instantly and got replaced by compassion and worry. The emptiness that slowly replaced Maddie’s hope was practically palpable for her and she had to suppress a sigh to not get overwhelmed by it. So much sadness and so little joy…

Violet watched briefly the interaction between the supposed lovers/partners and it didn’t take much empathy to “see” that something was “wrong”. The first words would be crucial to gain her trust and Violet hesitated not knowing what to say or what to do. She hoped Jon would help her out and break the ice so that she had a chance to pick up Maddie in her vulnerable state without hurting her but Jon hesitated himself. His feelings were very strong for her and he was even more scared than Violet to make a wrong move.

After a short moment in which Violet considered her options she decided to take action and hoped she was lucky to not push the wrong buttons. She put on her warmest smile and tried to not intimidate the woman with her overwhelming presence and focused instead on gaining her honest trust. “Hello Maddie, my name is Violet – Jon asked me to get acquainted with you and see if I can help you to readjust. Maybe I can show you around and we talk a little?”

Maddie looked shyly at the ground before glancing up at Jon. When he nodded encouragingly, she glanced at Violet and said, "Alright. I can do that."

Together, the two women started to walk, mostly ignoring the stares they were getting as they moved. Jon trailed behind, just close enough to make sure that watchers knew they were defended. Violet started to give her the tour, but they'd only gotten a little way before Maddie cut her off. "I'm sorry if this is too abrupt, but why are you really talking to me?" Violet blinked at her, and Maddie laughed humorlessly. "I know Jon, Violet. He is expecting something to come of this."

There was no reason to play hide and seek with Maddie she was smart enough to guess what was going on. Violet looked at her warmly and tried to be as comforting as possible as she spoke. “Jon asked me to help you… emotionally. I can tell how you feel… I can feel what you feel and I know where it leads to. I’m not here to force anything and if you don’t want to I won’t do anything to affect your emotions. But I do know that your emotionally… hurt, detached, lost.”

Violet let that last word linger on her lips and waited for Maddie to give her a sign if she was in denial or accepting her offer. She hoped Maddie wouldn’t just run off unable to cope with the situation and too scared to admit that something was seriously wrong with her. The inhumanly beautiful woman tried to put every ounce of emotional support she could offer without making use of her powers and hoped it was enough to reach Maddie and make her accept her help.

Archived