Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 3.1: The Mutants strike back

Joani

[ROUND 1, INIT 9]

Perfect. Travis was falling apart, Orphan wasn't holding the robots, and the plan had officially gone to hell. Growling, she bent low, then launched herself into the air. She was moving slower than the others, so hopefully, she'd be in melee with it after they had fired. Or so went the plan. Really, what was the worst that could happen?

Click to reveal..
Init: 9

1d10=1

Str+Might: 3 sux, plus 5 autos

1d10=2, 1d10=6, 1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=8

HL: 12/12 | WP: 7/7 | QP: 22/26

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Travis Kincaid
All around him loose objects, already imbued with tiny random movements, began to accelerate under the power of his telekinetic field. They started to spin out of control; rocks, broken glass, discarded belongings, and more skittered about randomly with increasing force.

Travis stumbled, turning toward the street once more. Adrian hurled a chunk of concrete that must have weighed three hundred pounds at a flying robot. The concrete had barely hit the robot, blasting apart into dust and shrapnel, when Ronnie leapt towards it. Dimly the situation reached him. He was too slow to react, too lost in the painful flood of memory, the combat would be over before it even began. He swallowed down his gorge, and, blinking tears from his eyes, as he fought to banish the memory. His right hand clenched into a fist and all the flying debris stopped and fell to the ground. "Raven," his voice was less than a whisper, barely even audible.
Click to reveal..

Init = 17
Healthy / QP 26/28 / WP 4/4
TK active w/ 100,000 kg limit

Ronnie moved herself to a tactically better position ready to get into melee with the huge robot which had aligned it's weapon at Adrian who had exposed himself briefly to toss a huge piece of concrete with uncanny precision at the drone.

The drone got hit by the massive stone and slammed against the next buildings wall were it spiraled down to the floor making a strange squeaking noise as if it was alive before the lights went out. A few sparks was the last thing it managed to 'do'in reponse to Adrian's attack.

(ooc: say thanks to Adrian - he saved you guys one combat round. Orphan - you got another chance at getting back control of the robot before it starts shooting. This time our rolls will be contested. You need to beat 2 suxx, i. e. 2 or more suxx)

Having felt her control of the terminator break, Sam quickly turned back towards it and touched it, small arcs of electricty passing from her hand as she reasserted control.

Click to reveal..
Not sure why I lost control of the first terminator, but okie smile.

Control

Dropping a die, spending WP

(00:42:39) ChatBot: (Sam) rolls 5d10 and gets 2,7,1,4,4.[2]

Healthy - QP 20/26 - WP 1/4

Summertime in Paris. The scent of flowers mixed with those of the bakeries and the markets. Travis blinked. Rubble, carnage, and dust. Some kind of mechanical monster brought a weapon to bear against a person. His memory tickled, trying to tell him what was real. He blinked again, and stopped to look at the famous edifice of Notre Dame de Paris, the roses were in full bloom and the gentle breeze carried the scent. He turn without looking and took a step ... directly into a wall. He rebounded in surprise, Where?, and looked around, one of the people had hurled a rock at one of the robots, it lay squawking in the rubble as debris tumbled around it. Blink. The woman fell, her dark hair like cascading waves of black satin, and Travis dropped his bag, the croissants and baguettes tumbling out around her. "I'm so sorry I ..." He stopped, blinking, as he flickered between the past and the present. He offered his hand to empty space as though beckoning to somebody who wasn't there. The woman took his hand and he helped her to her feet. In the ruined alley Travis stared with dead eyes, "Raven, that's a beautiful name."

Kevin watched Travis and his antics. His words were concerned and soft, and directed towards Ronnie. "He's having flashbacks, regaining parts of his lost memory. But that's not all, they're too severe for just that; someone's messed around in there. His memory loss isn't natural. He needs to have Fox go in there and try and fix what's been done; there's nothing more I can do except try and care for the symptoms." He kept his eyes on Travis while taking in what was going on with the robots.

It looked like it would be him and Ronnie if the Terminator was not quickly brought under control. With a newfound confidence in his abilities, Adrian felt up to the task. AFter all, he had already beaten down one ... smaller, less frightening drone ... maybe it was good that Ronnie was here too.

Ronnie leapt again, aiming for the robot itself. The idea was that she needed to get on top and tear it apart from the top down.

She'd always enjoyed construction work.

Click to reveal..
Roll for claws: 3 sux - Claws 2

1d10=3, 1d10=9, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=4, 1d10=9

Str+Brawl: 5 sux!

1d10=9, 1d10=10, 1d10=6, 1d10=6, 1d10=6, 1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=4, 1d10=9, 1d10=9

Quality reroll: 0 sux

1d10=5, 1d10=3

[Joani] 11:05 am: you won the Clinch - I rolled 3 Suxx

Ronnie's damage: 10 sux (+5 autos from Mega) before soak.

1d10=6, 1d10=8, 1d10=3, 1d10=9, 1d10=6, 1d10=6, 1d10=10, 1d10=9, 1d10=10

Damage for Claws (forgot in other roll): 0 sux

1d10=4, 1d10=6

She shifted her body in mid-air, drawing forth her claws. Her feet landed first on the monolith, but she quickly grabbed the machine. Her fingers grabbed and curled into the steel, her rough, ivory-tipped fingers piercing the creature's skin as she got a grip. Grinning, she got ready to tear it apart.

Memory melted like wax under a flame. For a moment the present resolved itself. The robots, the violence, the sound of distant explosions. His people, fighting without him. He saw Ronnie leap at the robot, he fingers turning into claws of hardened bone. Blink. The phone rang and Raven's smile faded as Travis, or was it Denis?, reached for the cell. The voice on the other end gave him a time and a place before hanging up. Travis sat up and Raven with him. "You're going again?" It was a question but the tone and her look, pure disappointment with a tinge of anger, made it a statement. He nodded and her eyes turned sad. Blink. Ronnie's claws sunk into steel, the metal crying out as it was forced apart. Blink. "I don't believe this is working out, Denís. You've got to give me more than this." Blink. Explosions, gunfire, combat, there was a mission, a mission depending on him. Blink.

"I know, but I've got to go they're depending on me ... they need me."

"I needed you too..." The words were ghostly, words she had never spoken but that her eyes, her tears, had told him each and every time.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise." She shook her head. She was crying, her eyes going red as she wrestled with it. She grabbed her purse and, even as he tried to protest, she kissed him on the cheek and walked out of his apartment. Of his life. Of his memory.

Click to reveal..

Init = 17

Healthy / QP 25/28 / WP 4/4

TK active w/ 100,000 kg limit (upkeep paid)

Originally Posted By: May Allman
Ronnie leapt again, aiming for the robot itself. The idea was that she needed to get on top and tear it apart from the top down.

She'd always enjoyed construction work.

She shifted her body in mid-air, drawing forth her claws. Her feet landed first on the monolith, but she quickly grabbed the machine. Her fingers grabbed and curled into the steel, her rough, ivory-tipped fingers piercing the creature's skin as she got a grip. Grinning, she got ready to tear it apart.

Ronnie found herself on top of the metal creature but her fingers barely pierced its armour. At least she managed to get a solid grip on the ‘thing’ and give it another go. Whatever these machines were made of, this was not ‘normal’ steel or any alloy Ronnie was familiar with. The amazon woman half expected the creature to defend itself but instead it just tried to shake her off without doing damage to her.

Originally Posted By: Sam
"Hey, get off me." Sam-bot said, flailing around and reaching up, trying to peel Ronnie off. "I'm your side."

The voice of the machine sounded oddly like the cybergirls’…

Memory flowed again. "I needed you too..." He was in a safe house, the mission a failure. He tried to recall the mission but failed. He wondered where Ronnie was, they were supposed to have met here. Blink. Ronnie, her claws grasping desperately at the metal monster as it flailed about. Blink. "I needed you too..." There was a knock, an ordinary knock. Travis' gun was in his hand by pure muscle memory. He went to the door gathering a shield of raw kinetic power. It was chaotic, jumbled, a mess; and anything that hit it would be robbed of its own kinetic force as it was buffered by the shield's power.

He opened the door a crack, no one was outside. He extended the shield and opened the door fully. The hall was empty, he was alone. "I needed you too..." He slipped the gun back into the waistband of his pants and looked down at the floor. There was a plain brown cardboard box sitting there. Travis crouched down and noticed an odor ... blink ... concrete dust, sweat, oil, the dry desert ... blink ... like the faint smell of iron and copper. Blink. The robot's arms tried to pull Ronnie down, its metallic digital voice squawked something. Blink. He pulled the box inside and with a slight effort of will sliced the tape open. The box flaps opened with a nauseating wave of the odor of blood and flesh. Iron and copper. Travis looked down at dead eyes, raven black hair, a ghastly wound ... "I needed you too..." The box tumbled to the floor, the head with it, rolling to look at him as if an indictment. "I needed you too..."

"NO!" Blink. "NO!" Blink. "NO!" Blink. "NO!" Blink. "NO!" Blink. "NOOO!" Each utterance of the word carrier more anger and despair than the last until he was nearly weeping and screaming with uncontrolled rage. A wave of telekinetic energy rippled visibly through the air and sent the robot tumbling backwards. The force was insufficient and too diffuse to damage the machine but it did send it to the ground. A second energy field wrapped itself gently around Ronnie and carried her to Travis until she was behind him, floating barely above the ground. "I wont let anything happen to you," he said, and then Travis crumpled to the ground. Quietly he could be heard repeating, "Not ever again ..."

Click to reveal..

Init = 17

Healthy / QP 25/28 / WP 4/4

TK active w/ 100,000 kg limit (upkeep paid)

"Travis!" Ronnie's cry broke the silence as her boots hit the ground. She dropped to her knees beside him, scared for him as she'd never been. To see him so out of it, so helpless, tore at her. He'd always been strong; it hurt to see him like this.

She scooped him up, cradling him against her. "Trav, Trav, c'mon, buddy," she muttered, afraid that if he didn't snap out of it, they'd want to leave him behind. They had to complete the mission, but she wasn't sure she could leave him, no matter how much of a burden on them.

"C'mon," she whispered again, kissing his forehead in her most personally daring move ever, "I need you to pull it together now... please."

Still hovering close to Sam, loyal to the end,

"He's going to be okay, Ronnie. He has to be okay. He just need to rest a minute, that's all."

Adrian pushed the robot to the standing position then reached out for Orphan to draw her close.

"We need to keep moving. We have to get closer so we can keep going. Everyone is counting on us."

Right now, Adrian sounded intense, but desperation was not far away.

As if Sam had summoned it, there was a another explosion in the distance and a direct response from the dropship just ahead. Several turrets swivelled around and took aim and then unloaded in bright blue beams their deadly barrage unto the distant buildings where the distraction teams supposedly were.

Time was running out and Travis only slowly came back to his senses. They had to act now or everything would be in vain.

(OOC: We’re not in combat anymore – yet I will implement Dawn’s Combat Tracker for future combats and ask you guys kindly to add your Initiative score and the Turn # you act in in [brackets] on the first line of your posts. That way we all can keep track on who goes when in a turn. A seperate Combat Tracker thread will be opened just for that purpose and I ask you to post there your initiative scores and any other important information. I will keep the thread updated accordingly. Combat resolution will still happen in the story threads, though. The Combat Tracker is strictly ooc)

Originally Posted By: May Allman
"C'mon," she whispered again, kissing his forehead in her most personally daring move ever, "I need you to pull it together now... please."

"And here I thought you didn't care." Travis open his eyes and looked up into Ronnie's own. The purple ringed orbs grew wide and he winked, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much." Raising his voice above a whisper he asked, "What the hell did I miss this time?"

For a second, she almost just hugged him in relief. But that would have broken the old pattern, and Ronnie had bent it enough for one night. Instead, she just rolled her eyes and stood up, feeling strangely unfulfilled. What'd you expect, a smooch back? A declaration of love?

Well, you are dumb enough to believe that, Lena pointed out, giggling.

Celeste's voice cut in. Leave her alone, first she's on mission and second, she wasn't built to deal with this. As the Others fell silent, Ronnie flushed a miserable red. I wasn't built for anything but fighting; why try to do anything else? Ignoring everyone else, she looked to Orphan. "Can you get us beamed up now? Are we close enough?"

The terminator paused for a brief moment, as did Sam, before it answered. "Not yet, still out of range." Sam-bot said, "But it looks like the attention isn't on us at the moment, let's fly."

Sam and the terminator turned as one, pointing themselves towards the center of the MIC and the spacecraft. She took up position just behind the robot as they both started jogging.

Kevin had been prepared to throw up a forcefield on a moment's notice had things turned south... luckally they hadn't. However, he didn't let down his guard as he followed behind everybody, keeping the rear guard.

Glad he's over it... I'll have to have a talk with that Fox once we get back... he's the only one who could help and we can't afford to have this keep happening.

To Travis he offered a flat 'Welcome Back' and a smile, before he pointed after Sam, indicating the direction he should start moving.

Once again united and on track the "Strike" team moved forward closing in to the large spaceship that hovered like a bad omen over the MIC. The setting was surreal for those who'd never seen a war torn city. It reminded more of a maze which would have sprung out of the imagination of some crazy computer game designer than the real thing. But the truth was more evident and palpable. The smoke was real, the dry air that was filled with dust covered their skin and the insides of their lungs as they breathed.

This was for real.

Only the General had recollections of a scenery like this and he moved unhindered by the impressions making sure to cover their backs as they moved forward.

The Cybergirl suddenly stopped and crouched raising one arm. "We are in range now", she spoke both with her own voice and the electronically enhanced voice of the machine.

"Brace yourselves for transport"

Then the world turned a bright bluewhite.

(ooc: Adrian and Kevin - you remember this kind of light. It was the same when you guys arrived at the free clinic just before you lost consciousness. Please roll for initiative and post your result in the Combat Tracker for this thread before you make your next post. You'll enter combat immediately after transportation.)

It didn't take long for the mutants to re-emerge from the blue-white light. Darkness surrounded them and they had trouble adjusting to the lighting inside the ship. Just before they mutant strike team found it's bearings and alarm went off.

<Eindringling Alarm, Eindringling Alarm> a mechanical voice in German announced

(ooc: Translation - Intruder Alert)

The sound of robots clanking heavily on the metal floor approached them followed by a very high pitched almost ultrasonic sound. Sam's robot got hit by a salvo of whitebluish beams that virtually disintegrated the large machine.

One shot hit Adrian squarely on his chest, the impact lifting him off his feet and slamming him against the next wall where he collapsed.

Travis and Kevin got lucky as the beams were off mark but they could feell the intensive heat of the energy blasts on their exposed skin. Travis' "Shit-hit-the-fan" Alarm went instantly off - energy beams.

Ronnie spinned around dodging one beam instinctively only to get charged by another robot which picked her up and tried to crash her with it's metal hands.

Click to reveal..
You got surprised on this first turn of combat - Sam is dazed for another round and can start acting on Turn 2. Adrian got no damage from the attack and can shake it off right away (lucky bastard). Travis and Kevin are free to act on Turn 1. Ronnie please roll a Str+Brawl or Martial Arts to get out of the machines' clinch. It is about to crush you around your waist. Combat starts now normally at round 1.

[Round 1, Init 19]

Adrian got up angry and quickly assessed the situation. Ronnie seemed to be in the worst trouble and they had plenty of targets shooting at him. It was time to bring on the Pain. Adrian felt his body harden and his skin grow tight, almost metal-like around his flesh and bones as he charged forward. Stealth was no longer necessary and the Kid found himself yelling as he closed with the robot on Ronnie. He leapt up, bringing his fist around and down onto the chest of the robotic fiend, smashing it to the ground as he landed. It was a perfect strike! He stood thier yelling at the other Terminators, hoping he would be their next target.

Click to reveal..

Spending 6Q for Super-Heavy Extra for Armor. Soak now up to 30/27 with a +5 difficulty to be hit!

Strike (Strength+Brawl) (10:33:55) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 10d10 and gets 7,2,8,9,9,2,9,10,3,2 = 6 successes!

Damage: [10]+12 dice = (10:44:47) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 12d10 and gets 4,3,3,1,9,10,2,8,7,5,6,10 = 15 Bashing

Healthy QP 22/16 WP 10/8

(Round 1, Init 14]

Travis saw the energy beams lancing down the hall and in a moment everything was thrown away. He entered into combat mode; business mode. Adrian manned up and damn near leveled the robot that had gotten the drop on them and pinned Ronnie. In the back of his mind Travis yelled triumphantly but his exterior was ice cold, the situation was too dire to take it in any way that with the utmost seriousness. Energy weapons. Its like they knew I was coming. Like they knew what would hurt me. White hot rage started to form his core even as he sought out an enemy. A beam of searing power missed him by a hair and Travis condensed his considerable kinetic power into a simple hammer strike unleashing it on the mechanical monster that had shot at him.

Click to reveal..

1 QP to fire a Blast (minus 1 M-Dex die)

To hit = 9+1:

(11:07:15) ChatBot: (Travis) rolls 9d10 and gets 5,1,8,3,1,5,4,3,7.

(11:07:28) ChatBot: (Travis) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

Result = 2 sux (WTF?!)

Damage = [8] 8L + 1 (what is their soak?)

Healthy / QP 24/28 / WP 4/4

[ROUND 1, INIT 13]

Ronnie growled in frustration as she was grabbed immediately. She hated it when things got grabby with her. She start to position her claws to get her out of here when Adrian moved and the robot hit the ground. Taking advantage of the distraction, Ronnie used her claws to break the grip this thing had on her.

Click to reveal..
Ronnie's Str + Brawl: 4 sux (don't know if using the claws help)

1d10=8, 1d10=1, 1d10=1, 1d10=3, 1d10=6, 1d10=6, 1d10=3, 1d10=10, 1d10=9, 1d10=9

HL: 12/12 | WP: 7/7 | QP: 20/26

• 2 weeks later...

[ROUND1 Combat resolution]

Adrian impacted with the robotic terminator like a human bullet and punched a big hole right through its armoured chest sending sparks of electricity all over its frame. The machine started to topple and fell over losing its grip on Ronnie who easily slipped out of it and took its arm off in the process leaving the machine crippled on the floor.

(ooc: Ronnie can use the arm as an improvised weapon like a club)

Travis’ shot hit the assaulting robot halting its attack and knocking it off its feet as kinetic forces put too much stress on the machines limbs. The Robot gave off another shot before it went silent.

In the meantime Kevin concentrated on building up his force field and projected it like a protective shield to cover the most vulnerable of the strike team – in this case Travis and the dazed Sam.

Two more Robots were entering the gangway in which the mutants had teleported in approaching the team from Adrian’s and Ronnie’s side. The path behind them was cleared for the moment which gave them a tactical advantage.

(ooc: I don’t have Kevin’s charsheet right here with me but his force field should keep you save as long as you stay behind it/close to him. Kevin can concentrate on letting your attacks through the shield while fending off attacks that are directed at you. End of Round 1)

[Round 2; Initiative 19]

"Oh ... come on, buys," Adrian half-whinned. Would someone here tell me what to here. We are passed the 'see it-beat it phase." The Kid quickly took his position between the two robots and the rest of the party. What more could he do right now?

Click to reveal..

Healthy QP 22/16 WP 10/8

Travis groaned aloud as two more robots started down the catwalk. "OK, play time is over, I'm sick of this crap." He flung out his two hands and made a gesture like he was grabbing the robots and flinging them off the catwalk. Telekinetic force, power beholden to Travis' will, plucked the two robots up like dolls and dropped them into the abyss on either side of the catwalk. "Ok, done, let's get a move on before this gets irritating."

Click to reveal..

Joani - IIRC you said they couldn't resist my TK if I wanted to move them, if I am wrong just change my post as you see fit

Healthy / QP 24/28 / WP 4/4

Sly chose that moment to contact Travis. *Travis, this is Sly, what's your situation? The other team says the city is getting pounded pretty damn hard and we need to take out the ship asap. You guys need transport, or assistance?*

"Huh?" Travis said aloud as Morgan's voice penetrated his mind. He got odd looks from the others even as he figured out that it was in his head. "So umm, how..." ...do I do this? Can you hear me now? Umm we just got into the ship and we're kinda trying to figure out where to go from here. I think we're ok but there's a lot of robots, what's going on with the distraction?

They are doing pretty good. They've engaged some of the robots and wanted me to check up on you guys. The ship has opened fire on the city by the way, because of the distraction teams. Hopefully the damage will be contained near the ship, but no guarantees on that. And yeah, once I establish contact with you all you have to do is think the words and I'll hear them.

Oh, ok cool. Yeah we just got in and are getting our bearings. Hopefully the cyborg chick can speed the process along like she said she could. Travis looked at the others, "Morgan says there's a lot of shit going down and the ship is firing on the city. We'd best get our asses moving and blow this thing now."

"Right," Ronnie said, turning to Orphan. "Which way?"

The strange mutant pointed down the hall, from which the robots had come. "Right," Ronnie said. "Let's go." She started off, jogging down the catwalk, keeping her eyes peeled for more enemies.

She stopped at the big doors blocking their way. "Orphan, can you get these?"

[Round 2; Initiative 10]((Assuming we're still posting in combat order))

Kevin desperately wished he could form his force field into a sphere instead of just a wall. He also wished that it would hold up better against these new threats. He'd only ever come up against small arms fire, maxing out at an AK-47, and it withstood those very well... but these robots...

Keven stayed silent as he followed the group down the catwalk, grateful of Travis' ability to fling these robots like rag dolls. As they approached the doors, he moved his force field up against the doors, so that when they opened, if anything was on the other side, it'd have to get through him first.

But, he kept an eye out on their rear; it wouldn't do for them to get ambushed because everybody (including the General who had rear guard) was focused forward. And, as he kept an eye to the rear, he looked to see what he could see, if he could place their location based on the other ship that they'd been on, seeing if there were any noticeable cameras, and just generally looking around.

Click to reveal..
(( [bruised 0] || 22/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

(FF T-4 turns 'till maintenance)

(Kevin_Bridges): Perception check to cover their tails and look around

(10:49:29) ChatBot: (Kevin_Bridges) rolls 7d10 and gets 4,10,10,7,7,10,9.

(10:49:53) (Kevin_Bridges): Perception (Astute), re-rolling 10's

(10:50:01) ChatBot: (Kevin_Bridges) rolls 3d10 and gets 6,7,8.

(10:50:51) (Kevin_Bridges): 8suxx @ std-diff(7) (5@8, 4@9, 3@10)

All to eager to oblige and send this ship crashing to Earth as fast as possible, Sam touched the doors, a small arc fizzling as her fingers got close and the doors ripped open, nearly jamming themselves back in their eagerness to obey her command.

"Let's fry these fucking toasters."

Click to reveal..
Control, dropping a die

(20:19:51) ChatBot: (Sam) rolls 5d10 and gets 10,7,2,7,8. [3]

Bazinga!

Healthy - QP 18/26 - WP 1/4

The door opened revealing another gangway to the team which had several junctions to the left and right. To the far end was another door very much like the one Sam just opened.

The team slowly moved forward reaching the first junction. To the left and right were doors with little “windows” at about eyelevel for creatures that were between 8 and 9 feet tall. Travis briefly levitated himself upwards to have look inside and furrowed his brows in worry. What he saw made things just a bit more complicated.

“Prisoners.”, he stated flatly to the others as he floated down to the floor again.

(ooc: You’re not on a catwalk anymore. Heavy looking walls frame the gangway you stand in and will make combat complicated in terms of finding cover. The doors are locked and appear reinforced. Kevin – we’re not in combat anymore – you didn’t notice anything or anyone following you guys. Looks like your clear for the moment but that’s just a question of time)

Archived