Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 3.1: The Mutants strike back

Joani

Ronnie quickly assembled her team and headed towards the Wal-Mart which was their dedicated base of operations. Hicks had managed to take the building without much effort and was about to coordinate their next move. It was agreed that Sly would forward to Travis once they were ready to strike. From then on the clock would be ticking against their favour.

The huge alien ship cast a long shadow over the MIC and parts of the surroundings. It looked as if the machines and aliens had established a fairly good defence around the immediate vicinity of the MIC. Robots were patrolling the main streets and checked for alleys every once in a while. The situation was calm – but that would soon end.

The small strike force managed to move forward in relative safety and they were now a mere 300 hundred feet away from the MIC. The team was getting high on adrenaline – Sly could contact them any minute and then they’d have to find a way to breach their security and enter the ship. The central key for success of their mission was the cybernetically enhanced mutant who called herself Orphan.

(ooc: Team setup: Ronnie, Travis, Kevin, Orphan and Adrian)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travis crouched by the window of the small house they were taking cover in. The building was a mess of shattered wallboard and bullet holes. The front door had been torn clear of its frame and lay in the yard. Travis kept low, only his head above the sill of the ruined window. Behind him in the remains of somebody's living room were Ronnie, Adrian, and the woman who called herself Orphan. Keven was crouched next to Travis and currently using the cheap binoculars they had swiped from the sporting goods section of the Wal-Mart.

A hundred yards away across the highway was the concrete and chain link wall that marked the edge of the MIC. Sections of the wall had been blown outward or just ripped down. Through the binoculars Travis had seen the reddish brown stain of blood on the loops of razor wire that dangled from the sections of wall still standing. The mutants who had escaped had done so with little regard for their safety. What they had fled was far worse than the cuts of a razor.

Travis looked back at Ronnie, "It's a hell of a mess out there. What's the plan? Doc at the six, me at point, you three in the center?"

Click to reveal..

Healthy / QP 29/30 / WP 4/4

Ronnie wanted a cigar, but pushed the desire back. She was also tired, tired enough that had she not been a mutant, she would have needed to pop stims to keep going. It'd been too long since she'd had a real meal, and she hadn't gotten to sleep. Kevin and Adrian were in the same boat, and she resolved to keep an eye on them.

"Yeah, that's what we'll do," Ronnie mused to Travis' question, scanning the ship for a way in. She looked to Orphan. "Know a back door we can use?"

"What portion of one do you need, or do you need it intact. I guess I could wrestle one to the ground if needed."

That was more wishful thinking than anything else. He was strong, but was he that strong. What he did know was that he felt different since leaving the ship, and he had crushed that rock when they went scouting about yesterday night/early this morning.

God, was he hungry. His stomach was past the grumbing stage and was into the stick to the backbone stage. He pushed the thoughts of hunger, worry for his sister and juno and the twins and, well, everybody out of his head. His breathing became slower and more steady. He felt his focus tightening even as he reached out with his eyes and ears to spot everything around him. He was the fighter once more. He would break his foes.

Good pep talk. How about let's not let any of us die?

Kevin, still troubled by the death that seemed to swirl around his life, but he had given himself completely to this task.

He looked through the binoculars, searching for foes and tracking their movement. He also listened to the planning, and heard that he was to take up the rear.

He spoke softly to Ronnie and 'Orphan', whom he still didn't trust. "I can put up a forcefield in front of you (Orphan), to allow you to get close, if need be. But that's about the most I can do besides stand in front of you."

Adrian might have thought that he was Orphan's body guard, but Kevin was effectively the bodyguard of the entire group, including Adrian.

Click to reveal..
With the hour down time, Kevin should be able to treat his wounds, which should heal a single level

(( [bruised 0] || 28/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

"I just need to get within 200 feet or so and I can take it over, like I had its remote. If necessary, I can use it to knock off some other 'bots and then take over another if it gets destroyed." She said plainly. "I'd appreciate any defense you can provide, I suck unless we get in close."

She was ready, not nervous in the least, she was either used to this or didn't care if she died.

Travis frowned, What the heck is he talking about? Shrugging he turned back and looked out the window. "Two hundred feet? I think I can probably manage that, those robot can't weigh more than a ton right?" Travis considered the possibility that they might not even need to enter into the MIC, might not need to see just how bad things were in there. His people, confined into little more than a concentration camp. Ostensibly it was to prevent the spread of the virus but anti-mutant sentiment was making it such that they were more like prisons and less like quarantine zones.

Sly's voice piped into Travis' mind informing him that the distractions were finally underway. "OK, they've started. I think everything is clear and quiet, let's move out." Travis rose and glided toward the door, his movements as graceful as any dancer's.

Click to reveal..

Healthy / QP 29/30 / WP 4/4

(07:51:41) (Travis_Kincaid): Stealth 8+2

(07:51:44) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 10,1,4,9,9,3,1,10.

(07:51:55) (Travis_Kincaid): pop tens (nimble)

(07:51:59) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,2.

(07:52:02) (Travis_Kincaid): mega

(07:52:05) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 2d10 and gets 3,3.

Result = 5 sux

Adrian follows after Travis, keeping the spook in front of him and Sam in his six. He keeps aware of her at all times. He knows he needs to be there for her if anything goes wrong. That is his number one priority. Number two is getting close enough for her to save the day. Failing that, he needs to get her out, or to a Grav-portal to see her to safety. She remains their best hope against the madness. Adrian can not see himself faltering. He did not fail his sister all these years and he won't lose this childhood aquaintance now.

Click to reveal..

(08:01:45) (Adrian): Stealth 8 dice/spending a willpower.

(08:01:54) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,10,7,8,6,4,9,7 = 6 successes!

Healthy 22/22q 10/9 Willpower

Ronnie had good days and bad days when she had to sneak around and couldn't rely on Lena. Today was a good day. She ghosted out from her position, moving with an uncharacteristic grace. She cradled her gun and remained near Orphan, prepared to take a bullet - or worse - for her.

Click to reveal..
Ronnie's Dex+Stealth (Mega is last): 6 sux

1d10=7, 1d10=8, 1d10=4, 1d10=8, 1d10=10

For his part, neither his age nor his lack of food or sleep seemed to be effecting Kevin. The only thing that seemed wrong as they moved out was a slight holdover from whatever had 'broken' him before. It was mostly in his eyes, but even so, it was apparent that he was here; just that he wasn't the same as he had been before they found the remains of the clinic.

He tried to move as carefully and stealthily as possible behind 'Orphan', readying himself to throw up a forcefield at a moment's notice.

And, though Kevin couldn't trust this Orphan, she could trust him completely. She would have as much protection as him, and when it hit the fan, he'd be in front of her, to block any incoming.

Click to reveal..
(kevin_bridges): stealth roll

(21:42:32) (kevin_bridges): defaulting to dex

(21:42:42) ChatBot: (kevin_bridges) rolls 4d10 and gets 3,7,2,9.

(21:42:52) (kevin_bridges): 2suxx @ std diff

Trying to attune to Sam's clothing...

(( [bruised 0] || 28/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

Sam turned and gave Kevin a wink when he put his hand on her shoulder. Leaning in, she whispered a barely audible, "Thanks." as she touched his hand briefly.

Hope it keeps working if he stops touching me.

As they walked, a large alien-looking pistol emerged from her hand, the same pattern on the weapon as was on her skin. If anything surprised her, they were going to get a large blast of hot plasma in the face.

The team slowly moved closer towards the MIC remaining in the shadows of the buildings and avoiding direct line of sight to the alien space ship. The closer they got to the area the more devastated the buildings and streets looked like. They effectively entered a militarized zone and between rubble and debris they found the remains of dead bodies randomly spread over the area. People were desperately trying to get away and the machines showed no mercy.

Travis raised his fist and crouched down making the group stop and wait. Around the next corner he could hear one of the robots coming closer. If the machine made it right to their alley they could try to hijack it like Orphan said. It had to be done real fast, though.

Click to reveal..
Please roll for Initiative and add that to your spoiler. State your action and make your roll if necessary. Your actions will be resolved in order of Initiative.

Adrian edged so that only Orphan's head was visible to metal monster, assuming she needed to see it and couldn't just sense it. If this didn't work for any reason, he needed to make sure it couldn't hurt any of them. This warred with his desire to keep Sam/Orphan safe of course.

Click to reveal..

(18:21:51) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 1d10 and gets 7+10=17

Healthy 22/22q 10/9 Willpower

Travis closed his eyes and concentrated for a moment. As he did his awareness spread out into the environment, he could sense his allies moving behind him, the kinetic energy of the wind, of the sound comign toward them. He was shocked at how easy to was, he was barely expending any effort and yet he knew he could have picked up an entire house and tossed it across the MIC with barely a thought. He crouched at the ready, the robot would never stand a chance, as soon as it rounded the corner he would slam it down and immobilize it.

Click to reveal..

Init +10

(19:26:58) ChatBot: (Travis) rolls 1d10 and gets 7.

Result = 7+10 = 17

(19:30:08) (Travis): TK 9 + 1 (dropping 2nd mega-die)

(19:30:15) ChatBot: (Travis) rolls 9d10 and gets 2,9,8,3,7,3,7,8,3.

(19:30:20) ChatBot: (Travis) rolls 1d10 and gets 7.

Result = 5 + 2 + 4 auto sux = 11 sux = 100,000 kg

Healthy / QP 26/28 / WP 4/4

TK active w/ 100,000 kg limit

Hearing the familiar sounds of an approaching robot, Sam extended her senses along the ambient electricity in the air like the conduits of nature's motherboard as she attempted to seize control before it had a chance to realize what was going on.

Click to reveal..
Initiative

(01:20:23) ChatBot: (Sam) rolls 1d10 and gets 10. [16]

Control, dropped a die, spending WP

(01:53:34) ChatBot: (Sam) rolls 5d10 and gets 1,8,2,10,10. [4]

Healthy - QP 24/26 - WP 3/4

Kevin moves so that he can throw a forcefield across the end of the alleyway if the need arose, and so that he could quickly move in front of 'Orphan' if he had to do that as well.

All of his preperation to activate it may have not been in vain... but hopefully it wasn't needed right now.

Click to reveal..
kevin_bridges): rolling init

(16:48:59) ChatBot: (kevin_bridges) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

(16:49:42) (kevin_bridges): 4Dex + 4Wits + Init = 9

The Robot barely took notice of the Mutants that kept waiting for it. Travis kinetic pull dragged it towards the floor face down with an irresistable force while Orphan's senses quickly merged with the alien technology.

Travis sensed he could crush the machine if he wanted to and waited for a sign if the cybergirl had succeeded or not.

Taking control of the robot was not difficult for her. It's programming and technolgy was familiar to her - it was designed to respond to her in the best possible way and bypassing it's security protocol was child's play to her. The next move would be getting closer to the dropship without drawing attention towards them.

In the distance the motley crew of Mutants heard explosions and the sound of rapid supersonic slugs hitting concrete and steel.

Click to reveal..
The Robot is under Orphan's control - tell me what you want to do with it next. Everyone else - you keep your initiative score and please roll Per+Awareness

The tension slowly ebbed out of his body and Sam's breathing became contolled and steady once more. She hardly seemed to be struggling with the robot at all. So far, so good. Now they had to move to the next stage - getting in.

"Let me know if I need to carry you, Orphan," he whispered to his charge.

He kept his senses shart as they got ready to move.

Click to reveal..

(17:59:31) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 6,4,3,8,8,4,4,1 = 2 successes

The robot rounded the corner and was flat on its face before it could react. Travis pinned it down with effortless ease while. After a moment Oprhan nodded and Travis flipped the robot to its feet, setting it down with the carelessness of a child with a toy soldier. In the distance there was an explosion and the distinctive rapid staccatto of the robots' hypervelocity rifles. "OK, now what? Can you beam us up Scotty?"

Click to reveal..

(07:51:03) (Travis_Kincaid): Perception 8+2

(07:51:10) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,9,5,1,6,1,8,7.

(07:51:14) (Travis_Kincaid): megas

(07:51:18) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 2d10 and gets 2,6.

Result = 3 sux

Healthy / QP 26/28 / WP 4/4

TK Active 100,000 kg limit

"We need to get closer to the ship." came the digitized voice from the robot.

Sam was still aware and responsive, but her movements seemed to be mimicked by the machine, like a remote control marionette.

"I will be fine, we just can't be noticed, I am keeping this overgrown cuisinart from alerting the others at the moment." she/it added, their voices chiming as one.

While the others were still waiting in safety having now one of the behemoth like robots on their side Travis looked across the street trying to find the best route to get closer to the dropship without drawing too much attention to their position.

Even if what the cybergirl said was true he didn't trust anyone enough except for himself to judge on his next action. From what he could tell they'd have to cross the street just for about 2 seconds before they were safe in the shadows of the next alley. He turned around and nodded towards the alley he had chosen for their next stop and pointed without saying at the street making a quick move with his other hand indicating that they had to move quickly.

Ronnie nodded silently and relayed that information to the others while they lined up to go one-by-one. With the help of the robot which would shield their movement from any streetlevel eyes they had a chance to cross the street unseen.

Travis was the first to go and covered the distance in no time keeping crouched as he half sprinted over the street. Once he got to the other side he made an "ok" sign with his hand and waved the next one over to his position.

(ooc: Everyone except Travis and Orphan please make a Dex+Stealth roll to cross the street - Difficulty +1)

Catlike quiet Adrian sneaks across the open spaces, making small of his largish frame. He clings as close as he dares to Orphan's form.

Click to reveal..

(20:20:28) (Adrian): Spending a willpower

(20:20:40) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 9,7,1,6,1,1,7,7= 5 successes, at +1 difficulty so 4 successes

Healthy 22/22q 10/8 WP

Between his concentrating on keeping is forcefield ready to go, not trusting 'Orphan' with a robot, watching the street, and wishing he could be helping those people on the other end of the HV rounds going off in the distance as well as here, he made more noise than he intended to as he crossed the street.

Click to reveal..
(kevin_bridges): dex + stealth

(22:51:54) ChatBot: (kevin_bridges) rolls 4d10 and gets 6,5,9,3.

(22:52:08) (kevin_bridges): 1 sux @ std+1 diff.

Ronnie dashed across the street, being really, really quiet. Eat your heart out, Lena... maybe I don't need your tiny Chinese feet to sneak around.

Sooner or later you're going to put your size 15s down wrong, Plum. And I'll laugh at you like a red-neck at a retard.

Click to reveal..
Stealth, +1 difficulty: 4 sux after diff

1d10=1, 1d10=8, 1d10=7, 1d10=5, 1d10=10

The Mutants dashed quickly across the street rejoining Travis on the other side and ducking for cover as fast as they could. The huge Robot under Orphans control watched them with cold deadly eyes that glowed faintly red. The machine turned around to face down the direction it came from which would lead it back to the heart of the MIC.

All the while Travis' eyes loosely traced the rubble and debris of the destroyed buildings. There were several severed limbs and a female head with black hair next to a 20x20 inch cardboard box. The floor was covered with blood which already had acquired a darker almost brownish color.

Just when Ronnie made it next to Travis she saw how his eyes where wide open with shock, then he reached for his head as if he was hit by something. Travis was tumling around helplessly not in control of his body anymore.

(ooc:Perception+Medicine for those who want to find out what is going on with Travis)

Click to reveal..
It's a warm summer day and there's not a single cloud in the sky. The smell of fresh baguette and croissants is in the air. Travis just had bought some for breakfast and was looking forward to having a few days off between missions. His stroll back to the loft took him past the Notre Dame church when he suddenly bumped into a black haired woman.

He wanted to curse his bad luck but swallowed it down quickly as he got lost in the most beautiful green eyes he has ever seen. The lovely young woman smiled at him and picked up the scattered croissants and baguettes as she apologized for her careless jaywalking.

"What's your name?", he asked not knowing any better pick-up line.

"My name is Raven.", she simply answered and giving him a heartmelting smile. He had never felt like this before - at least that's what he thought.

---------

"You are going again?", she asked him. He nodded at her knowing there was no explanation he could give to her.

"I don't believe this is working out, Denís. You've got to give me more than this."

"I know.", he said. "I'll make it up to you, I promise.", but his words barely reached her. She cried and gave him a kiss before she turned and left. This time she would go and he'd be the one left behind. He should taste some of what she was going through since she has met him back in Paris.

------------

There was a knock on the door. Travis drew his weapon and concentrated on the kinetic forces in his surrounding. How could anyone know where he was? The mission had failed and they were supposed to meet at this location and wait for 12 hours before leaving the country. No one except for him and Ronnie knew about this hideout.

He carefully opened the door building up a defensive wall of kinetic energy in a half circle around him ready to push it with all his force into a blast if needed. The door swinged only half-way through until it hit something which was laying on the floor. A 20x20 inch cardbox. He quickly scanned the area making sure there was no one befoe he picked up the box. It felt strange in his arms and he was certain this was not a bomb. Using his gun he opened the cardbox and was greeted by a heady iron smell?.

The box fell to the floor as his eyes recognized it's content. With a sickening thud it connected with the concrete and the roughly ball shaped content rolled half out. Beautiful dead green eyes stared blankly at the ceiling...

Travis collapsed in Ronnies arms totally disoriented with tears in his eyes.

(ooc: Travis is technically KO'd for the next minute)

Orphan's senses located a drone that was watching them. The General had taken too long to cross the street and if the smaller floating machine had only seen the Robot Orphan had 'hijacked' it would've proceeded without realizing what was going on. Instead it realigned it's path to come closer to the Robot activating it's sentry mode.

(ooc:Orphan - please make another Cyber-K roll if you want to try to take over the drone, too. You know that it has already sent a warning to the next machine in direct line. If you're lucky you can prevent a full alarm. Since you're maintaining control of the Robot you're Cyber-K roll is at +2 Diff)

Ronnie caught her friend automatically, holding him close. "Damn it, Trav, don't do this... not now, buddy," she muttered, feeling helpless as she stared around, trying to see the next source of danger. Orphan said she'd handle the robots, which left Ronnie with nothing to do other than not know what was wrong with her friend and wait for Orphan to fail.

Click to reveal..
Perception + Medicine: 2 sux

1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=8

Not realizing that he'd caused the group more problems with his parinoia, Kevin rushed, unknowingly, to the limp Travis. He gave a quick lookover of an examination, trying to discern what was happening, letting a little of his healing powers seep into his distressed teammate.

Click to reveal..
(kevin_bridges): Per + Med roll

(20:13:53) ChatBot: (kevin_bridges) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,9,2,4,9,10,5,2.

(20:15:02) ChatBot: (kevin_bridges)(kevin_bridges): rolls 1d10 and gets 8.

(20:15:08) (kevin_bridges): 4 sux @ std diff

using healing at 1/2 power

(( [bruised 0] || 27/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

Travis' jaw snapped shut with an audible click as the older mutant eased some healing power into him. His back arched and there was a dangerous tingle of energy in the air as though everyone was being tickeled and pinched all over at the same time. With a gasp Travis slumped and the feeling went away. His limbs flailed for a moment until he was able to roll away from Ronnie and onto his hands and knees. He retched, dry heaving painfully for a moment before he sat back on his heels. "Christ on a crutch." Travis looked out into the rubble and saw the box again. He gestured towards it and splayed his fingers. Kinetic energy tore at the box, heaving its material in every direction simultaneously. There was a quiet sound and the box disappeared into a cloud of pale brown fiber that blew apart in the wind. A stuffed bear and a handful of worn child's toys were revealed as the remains of the box disappated. Travis heaved a heavy breath, his face a rictus of pain, both physical and emotional. He pushed himself to his feet once more, swaying in the light breeze as though it would bowl him over. He swallowed hard and shook his head.

Adrian is caught between trying to shield Orphan and going to Travis, he stays with Orphan, but keeps an eye open. The drone is coming and its going to come down to Orphan to stop it. None the less, he picks up a piece of concrete and gets ready to hurl it. He is surprised how light it is.

Click to reveal..

Perception+Medicine test: (22:39:32) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,6,8,2,8 = 3 successes

Paying more attention to the drone than anything else, Orphan extended her senses again, attempting to seize control and shut down the drone before it could sound the full alarm.

Click to reveal..
Overload at +2 diff

Dropped a die, Spending WP

(22:13:00) ChatBot: (Sam) rolls 5d10 and gets 1,2,10,2,3.[2] Fail

"Craptastic." said the robot and Orphan simultaneously as the terminator's weapon was brought to bear.

Travis felt sick, his head throbbed and his heart raced. His mind tumbled back towards the spots of darkness in his memory that had suddenly exploded into full bloom. Dark tresses and emerald eyes. "Raven," he croaked past an anguished sob. The memories held strong emotion, stronger than anything he could remember save perhaps his new memory of torture at the hands of these aliens. Tears came unbidden to his eyes as he recalled receiving her head in a simple brown moving box. All around him loose objects, already imbued with tiny random movements, began to accelerate under the power of his telekinetic field. They started to spin out of control; rocks, broken glass, discarded belongings, and more skittered about randomly with increasing force.

Originally Posted By: Sam

"Craptastic." said the robot and Orphan simultaneously as the terminator's weapon was brought to bear.

Yeah, that wasn't a good sign. As the terminator brought it's guns up to bear, Adrian hurled his chunk of concrete at the drone. Maybe one of them would get lucky.

Click to reveal..

Initiative 17
Str.+Might roll to hit: (10:51:16) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 10d10 and gets 5,5,4,7,6,6,4,6,5,10 = 2 successes

Damage Str+Concrete (used Club stats) 9d10B[10] (10:55:00) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 9d10 and gets 7,3,4,9,5,8,8,2,9 = 15 damage!

Concrete pulverized.

Archived