Aberrant: Children of Heaven - Chapter One: All Together Now

The Story Guide

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moira sat quietly as Claire thumbed through the book, her features growing more serious as they spoke. She sat thoughtfully as she listened to Wakiki and Zoey. But finally she spoke up, and though her voice was more business-like than hostile, there was the definite hint of an Irish temper hidden within her words.

"Well I'm glad everyone's rarin' ta' go an' all, but we have ta' know what's goin' on first, don' ye' think? What do ye' mean by th' original? Ye've seen images like this b'fore? Where, an' how? An' there's others that know about us, ye' say? No offense, people are tryin' ta' kill us.. I don' plan on hidin' fer the rest o'my life, and I certainly don' plan on just headin' back ta' the store and waitin' till people show up ta' finish me off. I want ta' know what ye' know, and I want ta' know all of it. Now.. if ye' don' mind."

Sebastian was surprised at Zoey's apparent immediate jump to killing their foes. Who would have guessed at the bloodlust hidden under those sexy blue eyes. Wak's rather mundane requests and Moira's irritated Irish gibberish didn't do much to settle his thoughts either.

What Sebastian really wanted was to go back to school and ignore that any of this had happened. He wanted to go to college. He wanted a non-backstabbing girlfriend. He wanted his normal parents back. He wanted to click his heels together three times and head back to the farm. Despite what he wanted though, Skins was pretty sure that he wasn't even in Oz anymore, that would be too easy.

So when his Dad asked for the opinion of the group's actions, all Sebastian had to offer was a defeated shrug of his shoulders as he stalled to make any decision for himself.

Carol shook her head, giving them all a sympathetic look. "We're not trying to hide anything from you on purpose. Out of habit, maybe," her eyes flicked over to her husband, but there was a slight upturn to her lips, "but not of out any malice or ill will."

She reluctantly closed the book, carefully pushing it back towards Moira, and sighed. "It's just that we've never gotten a real clear picture about what was- is going on. This book, if it is authentic, is one of those relics that's whispered about in academic and religious circles. Claiming to have found it or to be searching for it is tantamount to saying you've found the Holy Grail, and just about as likely. I've seen dozens like it, either forgeries or partial copies."

George spoke up a low burr, "It's claimed to be everything from the One True History of our planet to blueprints on how to build a starship to what Paul based Revelations on, and everything in between. The fakes are usually pretty easy to spot; it's written in a language that was dead long before humans supposedly figured out how to do much more than rub sticks together and pray. Forgeries usually come with translations. The claims of being copies are harder to debunk, but if anyone's trying to sell you one, it's a fake. A book like that, it'd be beyond priceless."

The light on the device that Sebastian's father had set up earlier blinked from green to yellow; George cleared his throat and leaned forward, making sure he had everyone's attention. "We don't have much time left. Tell me what you can about the people that attacked you. Everything you can remember, even if it doesn't seem important."

"They were..." Wakiki struggled in English to state what he had seen. "Living ghosts," he tried, aware of how insane that sounded. "I push one down the stairs, but one passed through the wall. They were shinobi, kisho... dressed in black, with guns. They were like ninja, yet spoke something like French."

He paused again, then tried, "I do not know what they were. Not men. Or perhaps... men like us." He looked at the group, worried by this thought.

Click to reveal.. (Memory Test)
Eddie's Intelligence check (3d10): 3 sux

"Aye, they mighta' been like us. I remember that one o'them.. 'tis like he was able ta' become nothin' more than a shadow on the wall. It wasn't like he disappeared an' we were seein' his shadow, either.. he passed me on the stairs an' I didna' feel him at all. An' then he removed himself from the wall, an' ran inta' th' room."

She thought about it a moment longer, trying to remember what it was the men had said, then shook her head a little.

Click to reveal..
Rolling for memory: 3d10 → [4,5,7] = 1 suxx (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2332370/)

"I remember they were swearin' at each other, but I dunna' know if they had anythin' more ta' say than that.. I was too busy worryin' about th' bullets an all."

• 2 weeks later...

"I never really got a good look at them. Soon as bullets started flying, I jumped through." Sebastian looked a bit embarrassed at his previous portrayal of cowardice. That he hadn't been more of a man in that deciding moment. It had been a chance to prove himself...to himself if no one else...and he was having regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

The two parents exchanged another look and Carol spoke up, "Well, that sounds like the Eden Initiative or possibly some rogue group that came into existence after your father and I retired. If it's the EI, then they must have found a way to track those that have been changed or perhaps access to someone with precognative abilities."

Gregory nodded, "Best to assume it's the EI. They're based out of Sierra Leone, or were last I knew anything of them, which would explain the French. If they've gotten your scent, it's a good bet you'll see them again. They're fairly rabid hounds." He looked thoughtful, "Though with this ability to move around like you have, you can probably stay ahead of them for a while."

He glanced at the yellow light on his jammer, which was blinking steadily now. "You've got about ten minutes to make a decision on what you're going to do when we leave here. I've got to get my family to safety, and son, you've got to decide if you're going to go into hiding with us or stick with your new friends here." He gave Sebastian a neutral look, refusing to in any way make this decision for his boy that was now well on to being a man.

"I am going to Sierra Leone," Eddie said before he had really decided what to do. As part of him was shocked into silence, he added, "If Black-san would please at least take me that far, I would be humbled and grateful."

He bowed his head to her, aware that he'd be in her debt. But he knew that the Shinobi would not leave him alone until he had made them stop.

"Th' lass has a point. We may vera' well need ta' go to Sierra Leone, but let's try to find out what we can first, alrigh'? We got four people outta th' original seven tha' were brought t'gether. We've hidden John away, an' Xavier's gone, w'th' other lad - Valentine. We 'ave no idea if they'll be back. We can't just go rushin' inta' things."

She laid a hand gently on Eddie's arm, and looked at him, her striking green eyes studying his intently.

"If it were just you an' I, it might be different. We're adults. But these two are jus' teenagers, an' barely know how ta' deal with what they've been handed.. Sebastian hasn't even gotten the chance to control his abilities. I can't defend 'em on my own if anythin' happens. I don' even know how ta' point a gun. All I know is how ta' research, an' find things."

Her words switched over to Japanese, and her voice became soft.

<Please don't leave just yet, Izumi-san. We should be ready first.>

Archived