Warhammer: Shadows of Empire - The Chosen of Vaul

{more to come for Heln Ironwight}

Heln matched stroke for stroke with Yavandir. All that mattered was the dim glow of the meteoric iron that was the elven smiths most prized metal to work with. Such blades would be unequaled throughout the land.

The Elf didn't force the metal. He altered it flow and it was this technique that brought the Grand Master Craftswoman back to his forge time and time again. That and the elf's stoic company. He wanted to do nothing more than teach his people's craft and to create items of such wonderous yet deadly art. It mattered little that he had voted for her as well. In fact, she liked him despite that.

She lost herself in the rythmn. She could feel the metal flow around her hammer and its dwarven runes glow brightly. This was a very slow method of bladeforging, made for a long-lived (or immortal) race. It was also ... elemental. Iron captured fire in a union that created steel. There was no more pleasurable moment she had yet found in this life.

Someone coughed. Heln struggled to ignore it. They coughed again. She tapped he hammer to warn Yavandir that she was stepping out. When she did, she wanted to hammer something. The Master Craftswoman stepped back and turned to face her victim.

To the man's credit, the Herald didn't flinch. It wasn't like she was going to brain him, toss him on the fire, and burn him up, was it? He bowed, extended a scroll, and smiled pleasently.

"The Countess Elise Kreiglitz-Untern request the presence of your company this evening."

Heln read the scroll. In much flowery prose, it said the same thing. The herald was basically doing her a favor. Still, this was an uncomfortable affair. She had made quite a stir last tome she had attended to a similar affair wearing a nice bouse, vest, and pants. She had thought she looked quite smashing in her red and black guild colors.

"Tell the ... your Lady," it didn't do to insult the most powerfull person in the city and most likely the next Count-Elector, "that it is my pleasure to attend her."

Heln had the proper blade sitting around the shop for such an occassion. The working class was always supposed to provide a gift to those of the Shiftless (Noble) class.

She looked longing at Yavandir's forge and the lean Blademaster working there. She was out of the rythm and with her new mood, she wasn't likely to get it back. Time to move to her own shop down the Guild Row. There was no reason to say goodbye, but she did offer a prayer to her god in honor of the blade to be.

from The Hunter's City

Heln didn't pause in her office, but hurried up her stairs in the back to her living area. The landing branched off into several rooms, and Heln went down the hallway to the room at the end. There was a bathtub, which Heln put him next to. Turning, she said, "Stay here."

She went back down to the shop and ordered an apprentice to bring her up hot water. The smiths blinked at her, surprised. Heln never asked them to do anything like this. "I have guests," she said softly, "and must attend to them myself. Just bring the buckets to the first landing; twelve of them should be enough."

Turning, she went back to her guests, making sure she closed the door to the bathroom. "Bath water is on the way."

The girl took off her hat and went over to Thaddeus. She pokes around his shirt while the boy-wizard has a sharp intake of breath.

"I'll need some coal dust, some loose wool, and several bandage wraps or lengths of bed sheets."

She was remarkably calm for the incident she was in the middle of.

As for the boy (Thaddeus) he had a look about him that all three elders were familiar with. Here was a boy who had passed through a life and death struggle, a combat, and liked it. The rush of combat poisoned his veins and had become part of his psyche.

The other boy (Brandt) had a very different cast to him. He could still see the blood of the dying and the bodies of those he had slain. It haunted him, as it should all sensible folk.

When the supplies were obtained, Annalise began packing the wound and tying the wound up. Her slender hands worked to great effect and soon the bleeding stopped.

"You'll need to see a real physician before long. I'm only a student of anatomy."

She stood up and looked to Heln.

"Thank you for your help. What do you plan to do with us now that you have us in your apartments?"

Outside the water was arriving. Brandt, looking for something to do went out and brought it in. He walked over to the tub and poured it in then returned the empty to the hall. This continued for him for several minutes until the tub was full and Diarmuir was deep within the comforting waters.

For the first time in nearly a weak, Diarmuir could feel the chills leave his body and the fever leaving his mind. Thinking more clearly, he could begin to take adequate stock of his situation.

Heln looked at the girl like she'd lost her mind. "You? You're going home, right the Hades now," she snapped. "Nayobee, can you see her somewhere safe where she can be turned over to the authorities. They'll stop looking for us if they have you, or at least they'll have a harder time explaining why they need to keep looking. Especially if you can summon the wits to lie."

Nayobee’s eyes wandered over Diarmuir’s body lingering there for a minute before she gave him a brief smile, “You sure look wasted, Diarmuir. Don’t let this get a habit, I may not be always around to safe you.”, for the first time since he knew her there was something like sympathy in her voice – if it was intentionally or not was still unclear.

Originally Posted By: Heln Ironwright

Heln looked at the girl like she'd lost her mind. "You? You're going home, right the Hades now," she snapped. "Nayobee, can you see her somewhere safe where she can be turned over to the authorities. They'll stop looking for us if they have you, or at least they'll have a harder time explaining why they need to keep looking. Especially if you can summon the wits to lie."

“I can take her with me to the Jade Tower but I have no intentions of leaving my friend’s side.”, she was obviously referring to Diarmuir.

“He is more important to me than this girl. I don’t care how many Karls she is worth.”, either Nayobee was stubborn as hell or lacked the understanding for the situation. Her demeanour surely got easily on Heln’s nerves.

Heln made a face at the elf, an 'really?' expression. "Look, someone has to get the girl back so that people stop hunting your friend," she growled. "This is my house, and I'm not leaving people I just met alone here, especially not one who is responsible for kidnapping a young noble. If I wanted Diarmuir here dead, I'd have left him at the inn with the girl. He'd be under the executor's axe already. While your feelings for your friend are noble, they are also not helpful. Take the girl, get us some more food and medicine, and come back as soon as you can. Do you need coin?"

Nayobee considered briefly to kill Heln as her eyes flickered with anger. Then rationale took the better of her and she nodded barely at the woman blacksmith.

"I'll be back.", she said taking the young girl by her arm and making a swift exit.

Annalise's protest is cut short as she is pulled out the door. Apparently she realizes that making a scene would be bad for all concern. Instead, she makes a mad grab for her (Diarmuir's) hat before being drug out.

"I can walk on my own," she calmly, but somewhat breathlessly, tells Nayobee as they exit the shop. "There is no need to drag me."

After a few blocks,

"What do you intend? I can make an appearence in the Law Quarter and no would be the wiser as to were I appeared from. All that I ask is that I be allowed to contact your friend once he is feeling better and the situation has calmed a bit. We have unfinished business to transact."

Back in the apartments above the Smithy, Brandt approaches Heln.

"I'm Brandt Michelson, of the Jade Tower. I want you to know that none of us knew the girl was invovled with Lady Nayobee's friend's disappearance. I apoligize."

As he speaks, Heln makes out the accent. He's from teh Tallow, though he hides is somewhat well.

"My friend is wounded and I need to get him back to the Tower. I think he is good enough to walk and being a man of some substance, he can afford a physician. Unless you require our presence, we should be going as well."

Brandt makes ready to aid Thaddeus in getting up and leaving. Thaddeus manages a weak grin to Heln and mumbles,

"It was a pleasure to fight in your company."

Unless asked to say, the two young men leave for home.

He relaxed in the tub as they all left, smiling wryly at the girl's protest before the closing door cuts it off. Hopefully, Nayobee would keep her temper with the talkative Annalise, Diarmuir found himself thinking with some mild surprise. He shrugged to himself: he DID owe her his life, after all. By Khaine, he owed all of them his life. Debts didn't sit well on the hunter; obligation of any sort was a shackle around his soul. But there was little to do about that now. He sighed as he enjoyed the first clear thoughts he'd had for seven days, the short violent exertion of fighting for his life having taken what little reserves of strength he had left after the plague's ravaging of his body. Nayobee's words came back to him as he looked at his gaunt frame balefully. "You sure look wasted..."

"Indeed." he whispered in quiet agreement as he held his arms up in front of his face, mismatched eyes studying them impassively now after his initial distaste. The muscle was still there, but softer and weaker after his time being bedridden. Good enough to kill one pig-slopping hireling, though. he told himself sourly. If he'd been on his normal form, he wouldn't have needed help to leave all of the scum choking in their own blood. Damned disease. He looked at his legs and torso, then his jaw firmed as he made a decision.

Hearing splashing, Heln peered into the room to see her guest forcing his muscles to obey his will as he tried to get out of the bath on shakey legs, grabbing onto the wall for support as he nearly fell. He hadn't noticed her as, with a low growl of determination, he took a deep breath before bending down to scoop up his crossbow and weapons belt from where they lay near the tub, on a pile of inn bedding. Painfully he straightened again, the corded muscles of his legs and back shifting and straining at the unaccustomed exercise. He was panting a little as he stood upright, then nodded to himself as though satisfied with this small victory before turning around and spotting her there in the doorway.

"I'll be needing to stay here perhaps, but I have coin for any food and such you'll need." He gazed levelly at Heln, then inclined his head respectfully. "I'll be no drain or burden to any." At that, his lips quirked self-mockingly. "Well, no more than I've already been."

"You've already been more trouble than you're worth," Heln growled, stepping forward and taking his arm. It wasn't meant to restrain him, but to support him as she began to steer him out of the room. "I have coin enough." And if her house was judge of that, then she did indeed have enough to live very comfortably.

She guided him to the stairs, hovering behind him as he made his slow, stiff way up them. In truth, it would have been much easier to let her carry him, but she seemed content to let him pick his slow way up to the third level. There, she guided him into a small but comfortable room, avoiding the large room at the end of the hall that seemed personal to her.

She released him into the room, then left only to return with a pair of pants and a shirt, both too large. She saw the issue and left to get a bit of rope for a belt. "Now," she said, while he slowly struggled into the offered clothes, "why in the name of all the gods did you kidnap that girl? Half the city has been looking for her! Are you mad?"

He pulled the proffered clothing on, fastening the rope around his waist before sitting down on the bed before looking up at the imposing blonde woman, his head tilted and his weird eyes catching the light as he gave her a wry look.

"You seem sure I kidnapped her, Mistress Ironwright." he stated a little plaintively. "So quick to assume I am the villain, and we've barely met. Perhaps I rescued her, but fell ill before I could safely return her home, eh?. Out of gratitude she nursed me back to health, knowing I'd be mobbed, murdered and my body burned if any learned I had a sickness. The Elfmaid told you I am a bounty hunter. Those men were sent by the man who wanted her kidnapped, then murdered if her father didn't pay his debts. I was after the reward, but the damned Ague slowed me down."

Diarmuir lay back on the bed, his bow resting across his chest and his eyes closing wearily. "Now there'll be no reward for me, but at least the girl saved my life in turn. Sometimes life is the best reward. Wouldn't you say, Mistress?"

"And if I asked you who did kidnap her, could you give me names, descriptions? Where are they? I doubt you can truthfully tell me, as your story sound of more 'perhaps' and 'if' than fact," Heln said, irritating. That blaze of red that marked irritation and anger in her was spreading slowly across her fair skin. "Besides, I find it hard to have much faith in a man who calls himself 'Lost'. Let's just say it inspires little confidence in your personal integrity."

He sighed faintly, then rolled his head towards Heln, opening his burnished copper right eye to study her for a moment.

"Then have little confidence, Mistress." His tone was bitter. "If I wanted to spend my days telling people what they want to hear, I'd be a swining priest. And as for my 'personal integrity', I already owe you, Nayobee and the girl my life. The names and faces of the guilty I have, and I will collect on them what they are worth, not give them away in a vain attempt to convince you of my sincerity."

"If you were a swining priest, I'd have some confidence. Bah!" She waved an angry hand at him. "Do what you will. Just don't get me killed. I should have left you to die, I don't know what madness infected me. Perhaps I'm coming down with the Ague myself." She stared at him and said through gritted teeth, "What else do you need?"

"Just my belongings that the Elf grabbed. I'll let you have your clothing back once I can change." Diarmuir seemed to deflate, his head sinking back onto the pillow and his eyes closing. Heln stared at him for a moment longer, then went and grabbed the knapsack and flexible leather armor from downstairs and brought them up. The bounty hunter seemed to be asleep when she came in, and with a faint snort the Master Smith dropped his belongings next to the bed and walked back out, closing the door on the infuriating man.

Diarmuir's eyes cracked open as he heard Heln walking away, and with a slight groan he rolled out of bed and began to stretch before dropping to the ground and beginning to do some shaky, slow pushups. Be damned to laying around helpless: it was time to get his edge back.

He had a lot of work to do.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
Annalise's protest is cut short as she is pulled out the door. Apparently she realizes that making a scene would be bad for all concern. Instead, she makes a mad grab for her (Diarmuir's) hat before being drug out.

"I can walk on my own," she calmly, but somewhat breathlessly, tells Nayobee as they exit the shop. "There is no need to drag me."

After a few blocks,
"What do you intend? I can make an appearence in the Law Quarter and no would be the wiser as to were I appeared from. All that I ask is that I be allowed to contact your friend once he is feeling better and the situation has calmed a bit. We have unfinished business to transact."

Nayobee didn't answer to any of the young girls questions giving her an angry glare instead. She had no patience for this kind of 'work' and she very much preferred to have stayed with Diarmuir and move on with her own plans.

This was another unwanted delay - a distraction and she hated it. She moved as swiftly as she could to the Jade Tower, never releasing the young girl from her grip. Once they arrived she knocked on the door shoving Annalise forward to keep her secure and unable to flee. Nayobee barely raised her voice as she spoke, "Show some respect, this is the Jade Tower you have no say here."

Nayobee hands physical custody of Annaliase von Kritzer over to Hetta makings sure her grip is tight. Hetta looks perplexed until Anna takes her hat off, then Hetta looks like her heart has stopped.

"Were are my Apprentices," she murmurs but Nayobee is already gone like a midsummer's night breeze with barely as stir of the tracked-in dust on the stairs.

The two women stand there for a moment. Anna knows she has to do something.

"I'm Anna von Kritzer and I am not longer kidnapped, if that is what you are worried about," she proclaims.

"Riiiggghhhhtttt..." Hetta responds. "Did you see two young men with her, one of average height and ..."

"Oh yes. The short one was fine and the handsome one had taken a bolt to the stomach, but I patched him up."

"Shot to the stomach?!?! What the hell did she have them doing that they got shot ... at?"

"They were affecting the salvation of my and my rescuer, who was gravely ill at the time."

"Normal folk go to a physician."

"Oh, we did go. He recommended isolation and bed rest."

"If you went, why didn't you reveal yourself and get all kinds of help?" Hetta accused.

"I didn't want those who hunted my savior to find him out, which they surely would have done."

"Which they did, according to your story."

"I pay my debts Ms. ..."

"Hetta. Journeymen Hetta of the Jade Tower."

"Ms. Hetta, his life was, and is, in danger."

"And now Nayobee is off to save his life as well. Just peachy. Has she committed any other crimes that you are aware of?"

Anna merely shakes her head.

"Good, come with me. We are going to see the Master."

Anna gulps down. She doesn't know if she can keep her story together under the presence of a Master Wizard. What kinds of powers could he possess.

Nayobee didn't take long to return to Heln's appartment. She made sure that no one followed her keeping in the shadows as good as her abilities allowed. Her thoughts were focused on Diarmuir and his wellbeing. She needed his skills and cunning to help her around the city and free her fellow Ghost Strider. She hated to admit it but in the city she was half blind and half deaf which only made her more aggressive and less patient.

As Nayobee came closer to the appartment she waited to check out if there were any unwelcomed guests.

Click to reveal..
Assuming there are no guards or other unwanted guests she knocks on the door. If not - she'll hide and wait

Nayobee watches carefully and studies the terrain. To hide in a sunlit meadow, one has to dress like a deer. To hide in the shadows of the forest one has to ... she finds him. In an alley on the other end of the street. He's hidden well. An unskilled eye couldn't find him. He is not good enough to hide from Nayobee though.

She takes the best angle to slip into the forge. Dodging the younger smiths, Nayobee makes her way through the door and up the stairs. The Ghost ascends the stairs and to the door of Diarmuir's room. She can here some sort of exertions from inside, but she thinks there is only one voice.

Nayobee swiftly opened the door and entered the room finding Diarmuir on the floor doing pushups.

"The house is being watched.", she stated in a matter of fact like tone. Her eyes met his and she smiled briefly adding, "Have you lost something?"

The situation seemed to amuse her and she crossed her arms waiting for a witty comeback of his which surely would follow.

"Yes, I'm... lookin' for a copper... penny. Be a... darling and bend... over and look... in the corner for me?" Diarmuir said between pushups, sparing a moment to give Nayobee a wry grin before resuming his exertions.

"The watcher. Be they gutter, or guardhouse?" He asked matter-of-factly as he stopped the pushups after fifty, then turned over and started to work on his stomach muscles. He had taken off the oversized shirt Heln had loaned him and the wiry muscles of his torso could be seen to flex and stretch as he moved, the flush of exertion removing some of the pallor of the illness.

"I suppose the latter, he was easily spotted.", she was watching him with keen eyes her amusement still ringing faintly in her voice.

"Don't worry too much about your honor, though. I think we're even now after what you did for me in Untergrad.", Nayobee walked carefully to the window glancing briefly outside without exposing herself.

"I need your help Diarmuir. I don't know if I can pay you properly. All I can do is give you my word that I will repay any debt with my abilities.", the Elven Ghost Strider kept her eyes on the street just outside the window as she spoke, her voice was just barely above a whisper.

"You need my help, eh?" Diarmuir managed to get to fifty sit-ups then relaxed, feeling tired but mildly elated at how quickly he seemed to be recovering. He stood up and stripped off the over-large trousers before digging into his pack for better-fitting garb.

"It'll be a day or two before I'm at top form, but let's hear the problem." he told the Elfmaid. "I trust your word when you say you'll owe me." He pulled on a pair of close-fitting black britches as he talked, then reached for a white draw-string shirt of good linen.

"Unfortunately time is not on our side, Diarmuir. I need your help with rescuing my fellow Ghost Strider from this city's vile prison. They are torturing her to death and she won't make it much longer. Fortunately the apprentice's of the Jade Tower 'bought' her some time and she got moved to a better cell within the prison. Still, I can barely tolerate this insolence.", he could hear the restraint anger she had in her voice as she spoke through clenched teeth.

"If time is what you need to get better I suggest coming with me to the Jade Tower. Mikhail has requested your presence anyway so I'm doing him a deed by 'fetching' you. Annalise is there, too.", Nayobee wasn't sure what his involvement with the young noble girl was and currently she could care less about that issue. Her mind was set on a different task of a more personal kind.

"Hmm. The wizard summons me, eh? I'm much in demand, it seems." Diarmuir finished dressing, buckling his weapons belt into place as he thought that over. He met Nayobee's eyes, his own mismatched gaze cold. "I've no love for gaols or gaolers, but it's a big favor you're asking me, to break someone out of the Hallows. I'm in enough hot water as it is." He let that hang in the air as he swung his cloak over his shoulders and fastened it. "That's no refusal, just making sure you know what level of debt your going in for."

He took a scrap of vellum and some charcoal from his pack and quickly scribbled a note to Heln, outlining that he'd decided not to impose on her further and she could enquire about him at the Jade Tower if she were of a mind to. Signing it simply 'D', the manhunter looked over at Nayobee. "Let's slip out, then. Doesn't do to keep wizards waiting."

Nayobee just nodded at Diarmuir's comment about the debt she was going to be in for his help. She didn't care much about that as long as Ioriona would see another day to live. If he would ask too much of her she'd kill him right after paying it back. But those were thoughts she didn't want to elaborate on. Diarmuir would not ask too much - he would wait for the opportune moment to call in the favor and she would be there to pay it back.

"Lets go swiftly then.", she answered tilting her head towards the position of the observing guard. Diarmuir quickly found him and knew which path to choose to remain hidden of the man's eyes. Nayobee followed him on the same path just like a ghost.

What a difference less than two hours had made. Hetta had 'returned to bed' in the middle of the day and Anna was left pacing the second floor.

When Umma answered the door to let the two travellers in, it was a more subdued household. As the past the second floor, Anna poked her head out of a back room and came running forward to Diarmuir.

"It's here. The Grey Ague, it's here in the tower. I saw this woman Hetta and she has it. Also, the Wizard Lord is INSANE."

Umma turned and glared at Anna for that last statement, but held her tongue.

"What of Mikh ... Magister Petrovich?" questioned Nayobee.

"He went out of town on some Parliment business and hasn't yet returned," Anna whispered before Umma could answer, though the young serving girl nodded in agreement.

"Do you want to see the Master of the Jade Tower, the Lord Magister?" enquired Umma.

"I need to talk to Magister Petrovich - it is urgent.", Nayobee insisted.

She looked at Diarmuir with obvious annoyance in her eyes. This day was just getting better and better with each passing minute.

"I have brought the requested guest with me.", she looked at Diarmuir as she spoke. "If there are no quarters left for him he can stay with me.", Nayobee was losing her patience - they were wasting time, precious time and she was getting tired from lack of sleep which she tried to hide. This condition made her company even less enjoyable...

The girl was clearly exasperated and a bit intimidated by Nayobee. She led them up to the Journeymen's Quarters and took them to one of the rooms. Handing them two clothes, she put a third over her mouth. In a muffled voice she said,

"Ask Hetta. She knows what's going on, but she's fallen ill."

With that, Umma opened the door.

"Hetta, Nayobee and some strange man have come here looking for the Master ... Petrovich."

"Send them in," came the weak and wheezy voice.

Hetta propped herself up on one elbow, motioning the two in with her other hand.

"What *cough* can I do for you?"

For Nayobee it was another delay and that mean some fould human lord got to draw another undeserved breath of life. This was an intolerable burden that stoked the fires in her heart.

For Diarmuir, it was a chance to learn what he had missed in the days of his seclusion. What he needed was intelligence, and that meant names. Someone was trying to kill him. Oh, he was sure who was the hand behind the daggers, but someone had sent EIGHT men to kill him, and that bespoke power - one of the majore gangs in the Tallows had be used. Maybe more than one gang was out to get a bounty on him. He just might need Nayobee to do some killing for him while he scared the answers out of the people who knew all the questions. She would probably enjoy that.

His first name was Brandt. Brandt was one of the apprentices that had been working with Nayobee, but he had a history as a 'rogue' in the Tallows before some flowery Magister-type had chosen him for a more 'elevated' profession.

Poor Brandt scrunched down in his seat when he saw them approach. He recognized them with street-trained eyes. He saw them for what they were, twin-tailed comets of death. They wanted something from him.

"Tell me a tale, Brandt," Diarmuir breathed with only a hint of menace. "Tell me everything you've seen this past week."

Brandt told him everything. About the meeting with the Jailers (and how Nayobee's pricetag item was "only" fifty crowns), including the path they had taken to get in. He told them about the urchin network that mostly worked as guides, but how he had turned twenty of them into lookouts throught the Tallows and Merchant's Quarters. Lastly he told him of the man that the large blonde has slain, and the possible vengeance coming her way.

"He was a Stone-Cutter, he was. Must have been a hefty bounty to get them out to Nordgate like that. Normally they want no trouble from the Dogfaces. Since they were coming after you, I suggest you stay out of the Tallows, the Merchant Quarter, and Guildrow. Anything else is likely to be fatal."

Someone had made a fatal decision alright. Diarmuir had let the kid squirm enough. He had gven them the answer to Nayobee's situation. They funny part of it was that Nayobee had held the answer in her hand not long ago. Anna von Kritzer had been worth fifty crowns. Best not to remind her of that. Besides, Diarmuir knew were he could find fifty crowns. He was owed so much more.

First things first, since he had to kill some people ... probably a lot of people, he needed to get a bit of back up. He knew of two someones who could be loyal, lethal, and not give a damn about the body count, in case things went wrong - Damn the Gods.

Comandeering Brandt for one final mission, he sent him with Nayobee to buy their friends release. Diarmuir could only imagine it. Two elven huntresses stalking the rooftops while he worked in the shadows of the streets alone for all to believe - he would be legend.

Oh, and then they could kill off some noble twat for good measure. Had to keep the unpayed help happy.

Archived