[Fiction] The Park

Long

Silvertalon had done very well in her training and as such Long decided to show her the park during the daytime hours. They went together, both in in their arctic fox forms and Long Casually spread out a blanket for a picnic at his favorite spot under a cherry tree by the lake. It was Calm and serene, and numerous other people we gathered in the park, everyone enjoying the fresh spring air. They'd come out mostly to relax and do some people-watching.

Long laid out the meal, humming a tune from his youth as he went, and then sat down across from Aki and smiled. "I haven't done this in so long, At least not here in my home plane."

He nods to Aki and motions to the food with one black paw. "Dig in, I made this this morning. While we are here today I want you to watch everyone. I know you can hear their conversations, but notice their reactions. It's moments like this, where we can just watch and listen to others, that let one know where they are in the world."

It was three to four months Aki worked very hard under Longs watchful eye. As she learned to fine tune her ability to shift her form, alter her appearance and proper control use of her quantum was the start of her training. The learning process was slow but rough at the start. But long was there to encourage and aid her though the roughest parts of the first month. The second and third month was much easier as she begun to use her knew knowledge and applying her skills to the test. As endurance training was the primary goal to ensure she could properly control her powers in any situation that my arise. As a treat for all the hard work Long had it already planned out to take her to the park to enjoy a day of rest and relaxation.

----

Aki was enjoying the calming view under the shade of the cherry tree. The cool fresh spring air ruffling her fur just a little as she sighed softly with a smile. Even though it was a little crowded it still a very nice place to be in. It did remind her a little bit of the old days as reflected on the past for a few moments. Long's voice brought her out of it turning with a smile looking over the spread of food and drinks for a moment or two.

"For such a short time you had to prepare this spread, it still amazes me you can do so much in such a short time." She turns walking over to the blanket taking a seat at Longs side.

Aki leans over a little and whispers, "You look good as a vulpine might I add." A coy faux like smile plays across her muzzle while reaching for a paper plate. "So, I am assuming even though this is suppose to be a relaxing day from training....." she pauses for a moment placing some sushi on her plate along with a sandwich or two of some sort. "There is a lesson to be learned in all of this?" she sits back up popping a sushi into mouth tilting her head slightly looking at Long.

"Time is something I can always find a little more of, Aki." He smiled as he picked up the bowl of rice.

"Thank you. This form isn't as painful as my human one, so it's much easier to maintain for a longer time." The admission that he was still in pain was there, but he was strong, besides it gave him something other than Silvertalon to think about.

"One never stops training. There's a lesson here, if only in that there are things worth taking the time to enjoy. Good food, and excellent company being only the first examples of the day."

"True, with you it seams that time tends to slow down for a moment or two when you desire." She takes another bite of sushi sitting back a little bit to enjoy the cool breeze listening to what long is talking about.

"Painful?..." she pauses a little, "When I shift I feel no pain in it... Why would a form hurt... Although I can understand that it takes a bit of effort to keep such changes." She seams a little concerned about it for a moment, "You know you don't have to keep forms your uncomfortable in to impress me.." She flushes a little, "Although some times I find it quite flattering... But still I like to toss the kitty I know a ball of catnip from time to time." She playfully jests with a warm smile.

A few long moments pass after her reply as her ears twitch catching the voices of near by people. She can hear many so easily, catch every word even as they are whispered as it seams we have caught quite the attention from some. Her eyes skim across the field for a moment noticing a few people staring as she flushes slightly. Still she is a little shy in public even after the many times they spent at the club.

"The same can be said if you don't learn at least one new thing a day. You haven't learned anything at all and that is a day lost. But if you busy your mind to much in such trivial matters at hand. You will fail to notice the small changes that take place around you and in life...."

Aki takes a piece of sushi into hand as she shifts her body leaning slightly to the side. Her shoulder gently rests upon Longs left shoulder. She gently places the piece of sushi to Longs lips rubs the food slowly back and forth like one would with a grape before letting him take it into his mouth slowly.

"One should be careful not to enjoy the simple pleasures life has to give as well." Aki whispers softly into his left ear with a gentle growling mirrr. "The keeping such balance can be difficult at times but very rewarding."

Long smiles, the vulpine face showing it much more. "It is no trouble, merely part of the price I must pay for my power." He left her otherwords unanswered not quite trusting his voice.

As she moves over to feed him he doesn't move, remaining still as a statue. Finally she lets him have it and his tail furls around her waist. "Balance is always rewarding." He mirrors the same action of taking a peice of sushi and teasing her lightly before finally letting her eat it.

"I am very glad that you are with me." He catches, realizing he said "Me" singular as opposed to "Us" or "The Family" It was said, and it was true, and inwardly, Long felt relieved.

"I told you, Catnip doesn't really affect me." He smiles his own vulpine smile and strokes her cheek with his left paw.

Aki blinks a little as she feels the offered sushi slowly being rubbed upon her lips slowly. Slowly a soft rumble rises from her chest as her eyes close enjoying the feel of the food sliding slowly over her lips and slowly into her mouth. As her muzzle gently closes down on those finger tips with a soft suckle. "Delicious.." She growls low looking into Longs eyes for a long moment.

"I am happy to be here with you to.." She softly replys with a deeper flush before her eyes dart away in a shy manner.

Although her shyness fades with a soft giggle while a faux like grin plays across her snout. "Oh I know, but its always a little fun to toss out such silly things. You seam to always ruffle up over such trivial things so easily." She gently reaches over and gives his soft belly fur a ruffling.

"I have learned a lot while in your company and with your family. I don't think that I would have come so far as I have now with out the help you provided so quickly..." she sighs a little and blushes a little more pinkness clearly seen in her ears and cheeks as she is flushing so deeply its clearly seen to anyone looking closely. "Mmm indeed..." she just trails off "I am glad to be here enjoying the this lovely day with you." that last sentence spoken very very low.

"Part of how I was raised. Public affection is generally frowned upon here."

He wrapps an arm around her and rubs her shoulder. "I'm not always so hidebound though."

He nuzzles her cheek softly. "It has been a great pleasure to have you in my home. It is something I'd like to talk to you about."

Long didn't get to say what he would have next, because a Shadow loomed over him. "Hey Fox Boy, you and your lady friend need to take a hike. You're in my spot." Long looked up silently relieved, and mildly agitated at having been interrupted.

"We were here first."

The Young nova grabbed Long's right arm and tried to haul him to his feet. "Look pal, I'm Hoshi "Daishi" Kiurgi, so I'll say it one more time. Get up or get moved." He was a young up and comer in the XWF, someone they thought had a shot at taking Core down when he got his shot.

he looks at Silvertalon. "Honestly freak novas like you should just stay indoors. It's just an embarassment to call you novas."

"Odd, I do not understand why such would be frowned upon by close friends." She tilts her head slightly to the side a bit confused. It's clear long will have to explain it to her in detail why his culture is such. Long takes the moment to gently wrap his arm around her and resting his hand on her shoulder as she turns to look at him with a slight smile in his forward approach. "I see that your willing to break the norm from time to time. There still maybe hope for you yet." She gently reaches over and taps is nose with a soft giggle.

"So what did...." Aki slowly paused in the middle of her question looking up at the young man standing in front of them blocking out the sun. She tensed slightly in Long's grasp a moment before the young man spoke. Her instinctive nature clearly aware of some sort of danger present at the moment.

Long's reply was simple polite. But the young man grabbed him attempting to haul Long to is feet. She watched for a moment a bit confused as to why he would attempt such as his attention then fixed upon her. Her ears laid across her head a bit looking up into his eyes for the moment with out hint of fear.

"My understanding of your language is a bit limited along with your current events.... Would you mind explaining to me why your name would be so important. I wouldn't mind you explaining it if you would be so kind, please take a seat and enjoy our humble hospitality." She looks around noticing people starting to take notice of the scene as she attempts to quell the young mans rude intrusion.

Long can sense she is holding back playing in a very calculated game with this young nova. As she wants to try to resolve the issue before it gets out of hand. As she has come along way from what she was before. Back then she would most likely would of flattened him in a heart beat.

"You don't know who I am? What have you been doing, living in a hole the last year? I'm one of the best and brightest in the XWF you stupid Fox."

Long's eyes seem to constrict as the nova finally drags him to his feet. "Now Get the hell out of here, before I get mad and show your girlfriend a good time like you obviously can't."

Long looked at him and his blue eyes flashed. He grabbed ahold of the hand that had so roughly pulled hm up. "What the hell.." Long Resumed his eight foot Tiger form clearly beyond upset, now he was pissed.

"You little nothing." He squeezed the arm, his large claws digging in deep and he smiled as he heard bones snap. Hoshi cried out as his forearm was broken.

"You dare to interrupt my relaxation with my companion. You asked before if I knew who you were, Well boy, do you know who I am? I'm one who deserves the name you call yourself, and you are an insect, a mere annoyance to one like me."

Hoshi looks fairly scared now. Of course he knew who Long was. Everyone in Japan knew who he was, and of his talked about prowwess. "I'm sorry.."

"Not to me child. apologize to her." With a sharp pull he turns him to Silvertalon. "And I'd best believe you're sincere, or I can promise you,you'll never fight in the XWF again."

Hoshi nods ones and boys. Honorable Fox, I am very sorry for disturbing your picnic with your companion. Please forgive my rudeness and hostility."

Long doesn't release him, waiting to see if Silvertalon is satisfied.

Silvertalon sits and watches the young nova as he speaks pulling Long finally to his feat as she just slightly smirked and shook her head. "You shouldn't of done that..." Is all she said before Long's form shifted and the young man's forearm was broken in a an instant. She watched long carefully seeing him hold himself back he as clearly upset in a way she has never seen before. A part of her was frankly scared sensing immense strength and another part liked it. Her ears flickered a little catching the gasps and quick whispers of those watching the scene being taking place.

Slowly she roses to her feet with a warm smile and soft myrr gently placing her hand on Longs with a nod. She watched long release the young nova, "Hoshi Daishi Kiurgi, in a way I have been with my companion training for some time. I do not know of your exploits or the line of work your in and at this point honestly wouldn't care seeing how you represent yourself. My advice to you is this try using a little respect with others it goes along way compared to using your face and name to scare others into doing your wishes." She turns towards the picnic blanket reaching down and picking up bottle of sake.

"Here this should help with the pain until you reach a hospital to have that arm of yours fixed. Your lucky in a way might I add. If it was me I clearly would of done a far more damage then just snapping your fore arm like a twig...." She gives him a very evil looking grin showing teeth. "Now go... and let us enjoy our picnic before you loose a leg or two." She slowly licks over her lips looking quite hungry, clearly over reacting for dramatic effect. Long can clearly tell she's bluffing in her own way but for young nova whom doesn't know her that might not be the case.

Daishi's barely able to nod and Long releases his arm, placing the bottle of sake in his good hand. "The lady bid you leave, now Go..."

He did so and Long sat back down on the blanket. "Well that was certain uncalled for and grossly unwelcome."

"I'm sorry you had to see and hear that. Most of my homeland's people aren't so porr-mannered as to do such a thing."

He nods. "We can continue this elsewhere if you want, or we can stay here. I leave it up to you Aki."

Aki smirks a little watching Daishi leave rather quickly one might add. She watches him carefully for a few long moments before turning back to the picnic blanket as long took his seat once again. Slowly she walked over to his side and slowly lowered down to sit as his side placing a hand on his shoulder, "In all honesty it is not really a big deal...." She tilts her head slightly to the side with a slight smile.

"We still have our picnic intact... Our blanket isn't ruffled up to much..." She giggles softly leaning into him a bit more closely, "An some how I suspect you might of stepped in to prevent me from doing something far worse to him.. That.. Was cute." She leans over to softly coo in his ear with the cutest look she can muster. In reality she is trying to cheer him up a bit.

She pulls away with a soft giggle letting Long collect himself as she gathers another plate. "Besides we have a nice shady place overlooking a very nice park. An so many people to watch like animal's in a zoo.." She gives him a wink "Like you said... Let's see what lessons come of such an interesting outing listening to the natural critters in their habitat. She skillfully and playfully makes a few puns refering to the other people in the park.

Long nods, resuming the picnic. "There's always something to be learned Aki."

His blue eyes meet hers and he nods. "What are your plans for the future Aki? You're healthy enough to do as you like now, and while I am truly pleased to have you at my home, I do however worry that you might feel pressured to stay there. You are Free do do as you wish in all things Aki. I will help you if you but ask."

Aki takes a few minutes to add different foods to her plate being a little choosy but getting a good selection of the spread laid out before her. She moves over to the tree to lean her back against. The very tree that has been providing the shade from the bright and warm sun that is over head. She considers for a few moments the questions sampling some of the food upon her plate.

Her eyes look up to meet his for a long moment, "Well honestly not sure...." Her ears flicker a bit seaming uncomfortable with the question. But then that fades away as she smiles again, "I know you would help if I asked... For now.. I have no other place then here with you...... An your family." She flushes a little more so turning her eyes away.

Her ears twitch a little as she looks up watching some kids play near by. She watches them laugh, giggle and run about playing some sort of game as the parents near by keep and idle eye upon them. A soft myrr escapes her lips as she relaxes a little more contently watching the children play, "Something about such innocents is so captivating." Her own right hand rubs her belly a bit with a gentle sigh.

Slowly her eyes turn back to Long, "For now.. I guess my place is with you..." She simply says. "Times like this tend to bring back old memories..." she softly says turning to watch the children play a bit longer.

Long follows her gaze. "They are the future you know. I may never die of old age, but I will not always be in charge of things."

He smiles a true smile. "My children are the greatest thing I've done with my life. They mean just about everything to me, I'd do anything to keep them from living my life."

"You always have a home with my family Aki, we've all grown fond of you. I'd be honored, we'd be honored if you thought of us as family."

"What kind of memories are you reminded of?"

Aki slowly nods as long speaks with a soft rumble, "True they are.. But the question is. What feature do they really have..." A long pause passes as she looks towards the ground a for a few moments clearly hiding something that is troubling her.

Her attention slowly draws back to Long with a warm smile and nod, "I have noticed and it can be seen by many how happy your cubs are...errr.. children" she chuckles a little flushing. "I do think of you and your family as my own family. I have grown quite fond of you all as well."

She takes a slow sip from one of the soda bottles she placed at her side looking at the contents for a moment. "Well when I first met novas, quite frankly how I was chased about by wakinyan and some other nova." A soft chuckle escapes her, "You wouldn't believe how surprised I was to see the metal pipe was crawling in closed off on both ends and ripped out of the earth. Then I came face to face with some large avian looking creature and some smug looking human whom tired to I think... seduce me with pheremones... I nearly tore him asunder from the confusion of desire and the fact I didn't know them."

Slowly she places the soda bottle down and takes another few bites, "Wakinyan was there and stepped in at the right moment or I would of most likely done something very bad. None the less I was wrestled to the ground and in a way dominated to submit to a strong male." She seams to flush very deeply. "That's when I first met him.. I don't know why.. After I willing followed him. An still today I honestly can't place my finger on why.." She giggles softly giving long a wink.

"Over time, I did grow to love him quite deeply... I even considered....." She trails off leaving the rest of the sentance unsaid. "I do remember all the good times I had with him, all things he did. I also remember how responsible he was and cared for those people that worshiped him like his very own children in a way. He did everything he could to help them when ever possible. But sadly most people only choose to see only the bad aspects and flaws of his nature not the person he was. True some of what he did was eye popping."

Her eyes close a little tight as she takes in a deep breath... "An with all the good things remembered... It is hard to forget his last day... A day I was coming back to spend time with him alone away from the lair. I guess it was fate I was far away at the time or something else that drew me away. As I could of been at ground zero, I dout I could of survived such an onslaught."

Slowly tear after tear rolls down her cheek dripping form her snout as she sits silently remembering everything she saw. "I remember everything the earth was in pain. I felt it cry with each step I took, death was so heavy in the air you could almost choke. As I drew close to the center towards the still smoking body. I could swear I could hear whispers, the echo of voices from the past cry in anguish. "The great thunder bird was murdered!" The voices cried rage, pain and hate over and over again. The charred feathers of the great thunder bird laid across the land. I could feel so much more before....." She wipes her cheek a bit sniffling, "I fell into such a darkness I... Don't remember what happened after that.. Only you... Taking me with you... Here."

Aki slowly stands turning her back to long twin tails swaying as she holds herself trying to collect her thoughts for a moment. "In away......" she pauses for a long moment once again clearly not sure how to state something she wants to put into words. She sighs looking a little guilty in some manner.

He listens, knowing it's good for her to say these things, this was what she'd been keeping bottled up all this time. He stood, his big strong arms casually laying a hand on her shoulders. "Let it all out Aki. You've needed to do this. In a way what?"

His tone wasn't mocking, but as supportive as he could manage. He was here for her, just as he had been since first bringing her to Japan.

Aki's two tails move around to the front as she gently holds them in her arms against her belly. Her head tilts down a bit as those eyes remain close for a few long moments alone with herself until she felt longs arms gently wrap around her drawing close. Slowly her eyes open feeling him press a bit closer as her eyes look back towards him with a few tears still in them. She listens to him for a few moments watching him closely before those eyes slowly lower to the ground once again. A slow breath is drawn and a gentle step forward and another until she stands alone again.

Aki's left hand is gently placed upon cherry tree's trunk as long can see her dull claws easily digging into the bark. Slowly her head turns to look over her shoulder towards long. "I.. failed him... I feel that I let him down.." She softly says eyes closely slowly as those fingers just start to dig in the bark of the tree. "I wasn't there for him... H..H..how. Could I..." her head slowly moves to look towards the ground once again. A soft whimper a gentle cry reaches Longs ears. Its clear she feels that she abandoned him in some way in his last days and feels guilty about it. An more so afraid to let anyone to close not wanting to witness such horrors of that day again.

"The only thing that you being with him would have accomplished Aki is your own death. I'm not sure even I could survive being hit with the weapon that was used on him. You're tough, and very strong, but Wakinyan was tougher and stronger, and it still killed him."

He wanted to comfort her, but he'd been down this road before. It led nowhere, and he'd be damned if he let her tear herself up over something she couldn't control.

"There is nothing you could have done Aki. I know what it's like to stand helpless as someone you love is destroyed, to have been elsewhere when you look back and think he needed you most."

"I'll say this much. I think he'd be glad you weren't with him because that means that you're still alive. And as someone who's married, that's enough at times, to know that one I love is safe."

Aki's ears twitch a little listening as Long spoke. Her grip upon the tree slowly weakened knowing much of what Long spoke of was true. Even if she was there with him she wouldn't be alive today. Even if she was there on that day there was nothing she could of done. The hardest part for her was feeling of being so helpless to the fact there truly was not a thing she could of done. She stood in silence for several minutes as the cool breeze ruffled though her fur as she stood. Her ears listening to the laughter of children and the people going about their daily lives.

"Maybe your right... The fact I am still alive means a difference can be made and hope." She softly says. "But it still hurts to have your home lost and your family broken up..." She softly says, "To know that no one that you lived with even cared enough to see what has become of you or tried after such disaster.... To be abandoned, cast aside and neglected not by my lost mate but by those around him whom were closer...." She sighs softly, "I have no other place to go... No home to return to. No people I am a coyote some would say.." She softly chuckles, "Maybe cursed to wander alone maybe not..." She slowly turns to Long placing her back against the tree. Her eyes still a bit teary her snout a bit damp from tears.

"You offer me a place to stay and I am greatful. I have enjoyed your families hospitality and I am greatful......" She lowers her eyes slowly to the ground as she holds herself clearly worried about something, perhaps afraid of being hurt again. As it was not only wakinyan's death affecting her but she feels she lost everything and everyone. To her it seams she has lost two homes and families thus far in her life time.

"You will always have a home with me Aki. As long as I'm around you are welcome." He smiles. "And I plan on being around for quite some time."

"It does hurt to lose everything and be able to do nothing, but the pain will subside. Time moves on, and those of us who remain should too."

"You'll never be alone again, unless that is your wish." He holds out a hand beckoning her back to him. The offer is there, but he won't force her to take it.

Slowly Aki's eyes raise towards long as her ears flicker a bit. She listens to him for the moment as those eyes lower just a bit in deep thought. She mills it over for a few moments as she notices his hand reaching out offering her a place and possibly more. Her eyes turn away for a moment the look of uncertanty is clear before she looks back. Slowly she found herself reaching out taking his hand to her it felt like a eternity was passing by in those moments.

She felt his hand gently take hold and a gentle tug towards him as she found herself pressed to his front. She wrapped her arms tightly around him and buried her face and muzzle into his chest. He could feel her trembling a little not wanting to let go as Long is the closest thing she has to a family. A place to go to, to return to and a place to belong. She didn't cry in his arms as she knew he would protect her deep down. All she did was tremble slightly in hope....

Archived