Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter Five Interlude : Where am I?

Justin OOC

"No worries Velocity." Masane and Akina grab his arms. "Well I'll see you later." They hustle him away leaving her alone with Amane.

The tall Blonde captain looks to her with a mischievous eye. "You've managed to catch the Eye of two of the three most influential memebers of the organization. So Would you like a tour of the ship first, or perhaps a tour of the city in one of the Mecha?"

Velocity looked at the Captain and raised an eyebrow, "What's your name again? I'm a bit lost right now. However - I take the big tour? All inclusive? Surprise me?"

It was obvious that Velocity didn't really know what she wanted to do first - she'd follow Kai anywhere if necessary right now. Her mind was a bit of a blank while it slowly processed what had happened.

"I am Amane Kaunac, Captain of Satoshi Heavy Industries Crisis response Team Seven." Amane uses her full title, not to impress her, but to give her an idea of things.

She watchs as Velocity's gaze follows Kai's departure and chuckles inwardly. Another one setting her sights on the Skeleton Key... Poor boy has it coming at him from every direction.

She smiles. "Yes that's the gist of it. I can show you around this ship, The Archangel, then we can take out my mecha for a flyover of the city if you like. Most of the other officers are busy with their duties."

"O... K..., and I'm on your team or hers?", Velocity pointed after Masane.

Velocity stood up and looked around. She was ready to go and it didn't make much difference to her on who's team she was. Moving was good - it always helped her sort things out. When in doubt, run. It always helped her out in the past and she very much liked to run now.

"Excuse me... I feel a bit trapped here. I think I prefer going outside or somewhere I can move. Preferably run.", Velocity smiled nervously and hoped she hadn't stepped over any boundaries again.

"You aren't a member of any team, yet." Amane nods. "Then let's go." She finishes her own plate and busses the table, then leads Velocity out of the ship. Standing next to it on the dock, Velocity gets a real feel for its fifteen hundred meeter length, it's gleaming white armor reflecting the sun.

Amane gets them past the check point and then smiles. "How about a race? The park is about a mile from here. That oughta give you room enough to stretch your legs. Everyone's already at work or school so the city should be fairly quiet. Just don't go pulling a sonic boom on the ground. I don't feel like explaining broken glass to Akina or Raisho at this point."

"One mile? I'll cover that before you can say 'rabits arse'", Velocity frowned. "Common, that's hardly a stretch for me."

She sighed, "Well - no breaking of the soundbarrier means I've got to run a lot slower. I guess that's the best I can get, eh?"

Velocity warmed up by stepping blindingly fast on the spot and jumped a few times on her toes. "Ready.", she said determined.

Velocity accelerated in no time to just below the soundbarrier but saw Amane appearing infront of her before she reached the park.

"Hey! That's not fair! You, you teleported! That's not running!", she pushed a finger on Amane's chest to emphasis her point.

"Cheater!"

"I never said I'd be running." She smiles. "You've had experience with Teleporters before then I take it. That's good, because the princess is getting quite good at it. your experience anticipating it will be good." They're standing almost exactly where Velocity came into this world. "So this is where you met our Skeleton Key? I know you've been ssuprised to learn all you have about this world, but Akina believes in being up front about most things."

"I know you're fast Velocity, but is that the only trick you know?"

"Well most people can't run at that speed. I'd wager nobody else on Earth can even come close. As for what I mean, is that all you can do? Can you fly, shoot energy bolts, maifest weapons from nothing? Survive attacks that would gut a tank?"

She smiles "You know things of that nature. Things that only you can do."

Velocity shook her head, "No, can't do any of the flashy stuff. I'm just fast - real fast. And I can take quite a beating I suppose. I slammed at maxspeed into a wall when they tested me yesterday. I broke the treadmill when I hit 3.000 Kph. Didn't expect that so I couldn't hit the brakes. I suppose that counts as surviving an attack that would gut a tank?"

Velocity shrugged unsure if that was what Amane wanted to hear.

"Although I prefer not getting hit at all."

"It used to be dull before my powers manifested. But ever since it's been a hell of a ride.", Velocity smiled as she recalled the missions she's been on with her team.

"I tend to get into trouble - but I can get out of it really fast, too.", she winked at Amane.

"However - home is nothing like this here. This place is da bomb, if you understand what I mean. I always thought superheroes like myself where the top of awesomeness. Looks like I have to reassess that now. We've been fighting criminals and villians and stuff like that. Saving the world-thing... although that didn't seem to be too successful lately.", Velocity turned around and looked at the spot where she 'stumbled' through the portal.

"Kai can't sent back because there is no place to go back no more, am I right?"

"I don't really know. He's still very young, and unfortunately we have no experienced Keys to train him in using his power Alot of it is just him trying things. I know of several reasons he wouldn't be able to send you back, but really anything's possible. He spent a month on another world recently where he was stripped of all his powers, perhaps they've yet to fully return."

Amane smiles. "In any case I wouldn't worry about it. If he promised you he'd do what he could, then he will. That's just how I've seen him operate the time I've known him. He's a good kid, much much better than the alternative."

Her eyes narrow as she decides to dig. "You keep calling Kai "Abel" was he your boyfriend or something in your home world? I just ask because you seem quite attached to him."

She chuckles. "Just because we don't have supersuit wearing heroes gallavanting around fighting badguys doesn't mean the villians aren't still around.. We, Satoshi, that is, have our own persona nightmare to deal with."

"Abel is... was a very good friend. My best friend. I'm not sure - I think I loved him but we never really...", she searched for the right words, "We never really - he never asked, you understand what I mean?", Velocity felt impotent to describe her feelings for Abel. She was too inexperienced in that matter. For the first time Amane could actually see that Velocity was just a teenager and for that matter she seemed to be coping fairly well with the situation given the circumstances.

"My life happens in fast forward...", she said with a sigh holding back tears. She wouldn't cry, she didn't want to and fought it back.

"We'll find him. If he's here on this world we'll find him Then you can tell him how YOU feel."

She smiles. "Don't ever let someone you care for slip through your fingers because you're affraid, or because you don't have the time. Make time for what's important. Life is just to short to regret anything." Amane sure didn't sound like she was twenty eight, but mmuch older. There was a sadness that bespoke of experience in this sort of circumstance.

Velocity nodded at Amane’s words taking her counsel almost for granted. She didn’t mean to be disrespectful but a sudden numbness crept into her limbs and made her feel heavy. Its epicentre spread from her heart and made breathing hard.

“I don’t feel so well.”, the young teenager said faintly and stumbled insecure almost falling over her own feet. Amane saw that she was trembling from the effort to hold back her emotions.

Amane rushed over and caught her, The strength of her grip easily suprising Velocity. "IT's ok. I'll take you back to your room on the Archangel." There was a flash of light and both of them were standing in her room, Amane still holding her.

"Just take it easy, you've been hit with alot today. I'll leave if you want, or stay, it's your call. If I leave and you want to roam about you'll need to call me, unaffiliated specials usually aren't allowed to go around unsupervised."

Velocity barely heard what Amane said, "I need some rest... I want to..."go home. I miss Daniel..., the young girl didn't reveal what she actually wanted to say.

"I'm sorry", she managed to say instead and then cried her heart out at Amane's shoulder until she fell asleep from exhaustion.

Archived