Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter Five Interlude : Where am I?

Justin OOC

Kai and Masane walked through the quiet Neo-Tokyo Memorial park. Kai had eschewed the guards that after the incident with Kenpachi Akina had made him take everywhere, and instead took Masane. She was more powerful than most of an entire CRT, so Akina relented.

"Master..."

"Kai." he rebuked her smiling.

"Kai, why are you here with me as opposed to Lily or Valerie?"

"Well, I managed to agitate them both in one day. I figure I need to give them both a little space." He adds sheepishly.

"Well that's true, Kai, but I think you'll be fine. Lily knows you love her, and Val knows you consider her family. I could always talk to them if you want."

"No, that's alright, Masane." There's a light breeze and Kai's gaze follows the wind to the small clearing at the center of the park.

"Masane.."

"I feel it too, run." Her right arm was instantly wrapped in the carapace of the witchblade, the massive blade already extending.

"No Masane. Put that away. We don't know yet." A small rip began opening in the barrier between worlds and Kai watched, silently preparing to seal the gate. A Woman bursts forth from the light, smoking and the gate seals itself behind her, as if someone else were controlling it.

Kai calmly made his way over to the young woman, Masane only a step behind him. "good evening."

Moments before, on the other side Velocity, Abel and Vixen were all that was left of the team that had started out this last attack against Dr. Phantasm. They'd already dealt with him, but not before he could arm his world-ending Phantom bomb. Combining all three of their efforts they worked hard against the clock, but ultimately failed. In her final moments, Vixen used the last of her power to force the two young metahumans into another realm of existence, hoping to spare them from the fate this world would have.

(OOC Velocity the whole world went white, In the transfer you lose your grip on Abel, and for where he ends up.

You wake up lying on the ground, your whole body feels like it's on fire. A young man and woman (Kai is 17, Masane is 25) are standing over you and have just greeted you. The woman's arm is encased in a black armor, with a blade slung underneath. Both are dressed in Black Kimono, and Kai seems unarmed. Kai is very attractive young man who seems to give off the impression of quiet confidence and a freindly nature.)

The young red head remained on the floor for a few seconds and reached up with one hand to her face. She had never felt like this before and she wasn't even sure if she was alive. Her eyes opened slowly and she smelled fresh cut grass and the noise of the battle she just fought was gone. Pictures flashed in her mind as she slowly recollected what happened. Then she suddenly jerked up, "NOOOOOO! ABEEEEELLLLLL!", she reached out with her arms grasping empty air obviously oblivious to her surroundings.

Velocity blinked a few times and then looked up at the attractive young man. "What happened? Where am I?", her voice was broken and faint.

Velocity blinked a few times before she connected what Kai just said, "Vixen!" she exclaimed standing up quickly and scanning the area for the dimensional tear.

"Where is it? I need to go back, we haven't finished..." but she already knew it was too late. Vixen sacrificed herself so she and Abel could live. She stood there for a moment perfectly still like a statue. Her body burned like fire but she had to do something.

"You mean I can't go back? But... I must.", she looked at Kai and fought tears back. She clenched her fists and felt unusual heavy and tired. The burning in her body almost paralyzed her.

Velocity sighed and slumped down to her knees exhausted. They had lost the fight and Vixen saved her... but for what prize? Velocity quietly sobbed clutching her arms under her chest and cried.

Kai knelt down and calmly laid a hand on her shoulder. Attuning himself to her own dimensional signature. He reached out, searching for her home, and found..... Nothing. No life, no world, not even a dimension matching the signature.

He pulled his hand back, and was only partially able to hide his dismay. "No,you can't go back right now, but you can stay here, in this world."

"Who are Abel and Vixen?"

"They're my friends... were I suppose.", she wiped the tears away and looked at Kai. "We fought against Dr. Phantasm and I wasn't fast enough... not fast enough...", she shook her head and tried to forget the pictures of the battle.

"I don't know what to do... I have no home, no where to go. I don't even know this place.", she was trying to be brave and Kai could tell she was a fighter at heart.

"Well, in your world did you have a Tokyo in Japan?" He became more guarded at the mention of a fight, but he knew she'd been traumatized by something, and as such was trying to be as comforting as she could.

"Don't worry about a home or place to stay right now. It's safe to say that will be taken care of. I just need you calm down some and try to explain what happened."

Kai looks to Masane who nods. carefully he wraps his arms around her, trying to console her. He doesn't feel so much as hear when her sharklike skin rubs against his kimono. "Wow, that's pretty amazing."

"So what happened Miss...?"

Velocity looked a bit confused at Kai. "What's so amazing?"

Then he asked for her name and she realized she hadn't introduced herself while she knew their names they had no idea who she was. Then again back home people would've recognized her. She was not used to introduce herself.

"My name is Vel..., I mean my real name is Vanessa. Vanessa Blake.", her skin would've blushed but it didn't show.

She seemed to calm down rather quickly and tried to answer as much as possible. These people offered help just like that and Kai was very compassionate. She trusted him although she couldn't tell why.

"We fought against Dr Phantasm. It was not the first time, though. I thought we got rid of him once and for all, but then this bomb appeared. Vixen and Abel called me for support, most of the team had died fighting him. It was our last chance if I understood Vixen right. But I was too slow... the fastest girl on earth... too slow.", she shook her head again and her shoulders slumped in defeat. "That's all I remember."

Masane frowns. "Another world, another Exile then, if you cannot open a gateway home, Master."

Kai looks back to her and then to Vanessa. "Come on, let's get you to the medical ward. After we get you checked out, We'll find you a place to stay. Sound good?"

In that moment, he smiled, and Kai very much looked and sounded like Abel.

Together with Masane, they each give her a hand back towards the harbor. The Sentries on duty stop them, then realize who it is, and that there's a stranger, a quick conference over the commlink later and Akina had given her blessing and they were all allowed back in.

Akina was there to greet them at the medical ward when they arrived.

"Kai, Masane, I see you found a friend. So is She alien, enhanced, or perhaps just another cyborg?"

Akina clearly isn't happy, and Kai doesn't wither under the verbal assault, but he does stop smiling.

"She's a someone who needs help, Akina, isn't that Enough?"

The young teenage looking girl with white hair sighs. "Yes, Kai, whatever you say. Honestly, You've got two women already fighing over you, and you just have to and bring in another?"

Masane chuckled. She has a point Kai."

"I have to help people, it's just what I do." One of the doctors emerges and looks to Velocity. "I take it this is our new arrival? Come with me Miss, I'll get you checked out, and then you can get some rest."

Velocity was a bit irritated by Akina's odd assessment. "I'm not an Alien or whatever you just said. The scientists back home called us metahumans. Others just referred to us as 'supers'. I think most people thought of us as heroes - even though I think we failed in that department."

As one of the doctors came closer she nodded in approval, "I'm not sure about your methods but my skin is very resilient and I metabolize really fast although currently I feel tired and exhausted like never before. Can't remember when I felt like this the last time - I think when I tried pushing for Mach 4, but it was fun.", she smiled and for a moment it appeared as if she had forgotten how she has come into this situation in the first place. Maybe it was Kai who reminded her so much of Abel. He just made her feel good and comfortable - it was easier to adapt to the emotional stress when he was around.

The doctor smiled. "Metahuman eh? I haven't heard that one before. Allright then young lady come with me. We've got to do a physical and biological examination. Have to be sure you haven't brought any strange bacteria with you."

The doctor looks to Kai and Masane. "You two as well, since you've both come into contact with her. Go into the rooms and Strip, Someone be there shortly."

Masane frowned and Kai sighed. This was such a chore, the whole contaminant thing. Masane went into the room across the hall and did as she was bid and Kai stopped next to Vanessa. "Don't worry, Doctor Aoi is a great doctor, her bedside manner just needs some work."

The doctor smiled. "Insults will result in more shots, Young Key."

Kai visibly blanched and then went into another room to wait.

Velocity wasn't the brightest metahuman in her world but she did catch on things that seemed odd to her. "You never heard of Metahumans before? Maybe you folks just have a different vocabulary for this?", she shrugged and kept her smile. Doctors always amused her since they tried to scientifically explain what wasn't explainable most of the time. That's why Metahumans were so amazing. Vixen could do things no scientist could really explain.

"I'm really tired though, so don't expect any miracles, ok?"

Undressing didn't take long and she didn't seem to be self conscious about being naked at all. Her suit didn't leave much to the imagination anyway. It was designed to emulate her sharklike skin which reduced the friction while moving at superspeed to a minimum.

While she waited for the scanners to do whatever they did Velocity tried to relax and focus on what the Doctors asked her to. What followed was a short series of tests (of course after she got dressed again) determining the toughness of her skin, it's obvious primary function to reduce friction and most important of all - her amazing speed and how fast her reflexes were.

Velocity sighed since she had done this before not too long ago back home. Doctors were trying to put a label on her abilities and determine her limits.

"Not a treadmill...", she sighed and slumped her shoulders slightly. "I'm really tired, folks."

But the Doctors insisted on it - it was the last test anyway. She nodded reluctantly and started running building up speed in a matter of seconds. The digital speedometer rose to about 400 kph within the blink of an eye. Then she pushed a little more and broke the soundbarrier at Mach 1. The Doctors were already staring in disbelief and jotted down notes quickly when she pushed again. This time her brows furrowed from the exertion and strain she put herself under. She was quickly running out of juice but they had asked her to give it all and so she did. The speedometer reached 3000 kph before the treadmill broke which she didn't quite anticipated. If she was rested she may have avoided a crash but in her current condition she slammed almost at full speed against the next wall and lay there for a few seconds on the floor.

"Ouch... that hurt.", were her last words - then she fell unconscious.

Things went well for Kai and Masane, they both checked out clean, then they heard the massive collision of Velocity and the wall. They both emerged from their rooms in their kimonos and rushed to her room to see the demolished treadmill, and Velocity lying on the floor.

"What happened?"

"She hit three thousand Kilometers per hour and the treadmill couldn't handle the strain. She's faster than anyone on the planet that doesn't teleport. I've never seen one like her. Calls herself a metahuman."

Kai nods. "Is she safe to move into a private room here onboard the Archangel?"

"Yes."

Then That's where we'll take her."

The doctor looks noplussed and ready to object, but with Masane there he wisely does nothing and allows the young Key to take her to a prepared guest room. He nods to Masane. "Stay with her tonight. She may have questions when she awakens. Answer them for her, whatever she asks. I'll stop by tomorrow morning and we can show her around."

"As you command, Kai."

Velocity slept the sleep of the just and had a full 8 hours rest before she opened her eyes. First she thought it was all just a strange dream but she quickly noticed that it was not the case. Masane was with her and awake watching over her like a guardian. Velocity looked at the woman and smiled weakly, "So it was not a bad dream."

If Velocity had any physical trauma because of hitting the wall in the test room at Mach 3 it didn't show.

"Where is Ab... I mean Kai?", she swallowed hard remembering how her grip on Abel slipped when they hit the portal. Her thoughts about her friend got interrupted by the rumbling of her stomach. She felt starved and needed food - lots of food.

"I'm starving - can I have some breakfast - make that 3 breakfasts, if I'm not asking too much? I really need a lot of food.", she tried not to look self conscious about that but fact was her metabolism was on superspeed, too. She could easily eat three or four times as much as a hungry grown man and not put on a single ounce of fat.

Velocity was naked under her blanket but found her suit hanging on a chair nearby. She hesitated a short moment and then was dressed faster than Masane saw her leave her bed.

"I'm a bit grumpy after I wake up, but food will change that.", she tried to smile again at Masane and hoped the woman wouldn't just kill her right there because of her total lack of etiquette.

Masane smiles. "Kai is on his way here. You should go ahead and get dressed. I had your unifor cleaned, though if you prefer to wear something abit more normal, the closet has a Kimono similar to mine, and a regular jumpsuit."

She smiles, her own kindness shining through. "Another thing we got for you is this." She holds up a small necklace with a diamond shaped jewel at the center. "This is an image inducer. What it does is overlay a hologram over your skin, it will make you look normal to everyone else."

Masane holds up her hands to forestall an outburst. "Please, just use it for now, the people of this nation have endured great hardship, and I believe that they will react poorly to one who looks as differently as you do."

Velocity didn't consider a Kimono to be something normal - not where she lived. "My suit has been especially designed for me. It can assume the same quality my skin has which helps me a lot. I've gotten so used to it I'd prefer wearing that. It's the only thing I 'own' and I feel comfortable with it."

She took the offered necklace hesitantly not sure if she understood the reasons why she had to wear it. "Is there an anti-metahuman thing going on around here? I know you Japanese people have your trouble with foreigners but this is going a bit too far. Why should I hide? I'm just a bit more pale than the average girl.", she smiled knowing that the last thing she said was an understatement.

Masane looks at her. "There are no metahumans in this world."

"Everyone who isn't a human is either part or full Alien, wearing inducers of their own in many cases, Part Angel, or Part Demon, or Full of each of those. I know of One Cyborg, and one Living Robot, Everyone else is really normal. Where you come from you may not stand out, but here, you will. Considering 99% of the world just learned of the existence of Aliens, Demons and Angels, being identified as one, or God forbid something new entirely."

"Kai, myself and the others are all lucky enough that we are all either mostly human, or of an Alien race that is very similar to human. We can hide in plain sight, until there's trouble."

She smiles. "Using the inducer and your Kimono is up to you. I reccomend it, and Kai will too, but in the end, my Master will accept and back whatever you decide. That is simply how he is, and why it was so easy for me to contract with him."

"There's a knock at the door. "Masane, Vanessa, it's Kai. Are you ready to go?"

Masane looks to the door then to Velocity. "He's nothing if not punctual."

„Alien? You are an Alien?“, Velocity couldn’t help but giggle. The Aliens she knew about back home were those from the movie designed by H. R. Giger. Masane looked nothing like that.

Then she mentioned Angels and Demons.

Velocity stared at her. Metahumans had been a phenomenon but people got used to it. Now Angels and Demons were a whole different matter.

“Don’t get me wrong Masane – I did stand out – both in appearance and my powers. I am the fastest girl on the planet!”, she was rather proud of that and of course it wasn’t barely six months ago that her powers manifested which had a rather dramatic effect on her life. Nothing was the same ever since and it looked like she stumbled yet into another “situation”.

Velocity put on her uniform and activated the inducer half expecting to feel a change. She looked at the exposed parts of her uniform and it looked normal. Healthy normal skin. No signs of the sharklike quality and it’s unusual greyish color. She was still pale but that was natural for redheads.

“And if I don’t use this people will shoot me because they think I’m a Demon?”, Velocity raised an eyebrow questioningly when Kai knocked at the door.

Masane laughs. "No, not even one percent. Some perhaps, as all Amaha are, but I'm more human than anything else, most of the time."

"We don't know how they'd react, but better to be safe than sorry eh?"

She opens the door, and Kai is there, wearing his school uniform, the black suit with Gold trim very similar to the one Abel had worn back home the first time they met.

"Good Morning Kai."

"Good Morning Masane, Vanessa. I trust you slept well?" He smiles when he sees that she's using the inducer.

"I'm sorry that such a thing is nescessary, but Everyone's found out a whole lot they didn't know, and I'd hate for someone to react poorly to you because you look different."

"Nice to see you too, Ab....", her eyes widened as she made the mistake again. "I'm sorry - Kai, of course", he looks so much like him, it freaks me out.

One benefit of her unnatural skin was that no one could tell if she was blushing. She didn't know if the inducer would track her reaction and make her blush responsively to generate a perfect illusion. She hoped it was not the case right now.

"I did sleep well, thank you. But I'm starving and need food - lots of food. It is something my body needs above the average person. It has something to do with my powers and metabolism.", the Doctors back home had all kinds of strange latin or greek sounding words for their analysis about her condition. Maybe she would've understood half of it if she hadn't quit school.

"Am I your prisoner?", she asked hesitantly - they didn't treat her bad but the whole situation was kinda strange anyway. Anything was possible for her. They had Demons and Angels... and Aliens. She concluded there were no stupid questions around here.

"No, most certainly are not."

He smiles and leads them to the Ship's mess, which is a massive buffet style serving line for the morning. "Help yourself." There's dozens of dishes, both western and traditional oriental style, and Kai takes some of both equally. Masane takes wholly Japanese dishes and they wait for Vanessa before getting a table.

Velocity had a broad grin on her face as she saw the massive buffet. This was exactly what she needed. She started to pile food from all different styles whatever fancied her. Once she was done she had easily 3 times the amount of food on her dishes compared to Kai and Masane.

She sat down and immediately started to wolf the food down displaying some of her unnatural speed. The first two thirds disappeared virtually in no time. She slowed down on the last dishes looking sheepishly at the others. "Sorry... I was hungry."

This was another of those situations she would have blushed.

"Don't be embarrassed, I like a big meal myself." It was the indication that the inducer did show when she blushed.

At that Moment Both Akina in her school uniform and Amane in her flight suit came in and quickly grrabbed a plate and then Sat at the table. Amane was of the same age as Masane, and even more beautiful.

"Vanessa, You remember Captain Akina Nanamura, this other young lady is Captain Amane Kaunac of Crisis Response Team Seven, one of our Mecha support units."

Amane smiles. "Nice to meet you Vanessa. I heard that we had another dimensional exile show up, and figured if I went looking for our Skeleton Key, they'd be together."

Kai smiles. "Lost the Coach this morning?"

"You know him, he had to get to his duties at school early today." Amane looks at Kai, Masane and Akina. "The three of you are all going in today right?"

Akina nods. "Of course. The sutuden council President and vice President have to at least make an appearance at least once a day. As does one of the Girl's gym coaches."

Akina smiles and explains. "Beings from another dimension without the means to return to said dimension are reffered to as a dimensional exile. As for the term Skeleton Key, that refers to Kai. He has the power to open gateways between realities. Normally A person with this power, Called a Key, can only use it to access one dimension. Kai however, is a much rarer kind that can access ALL dimensions. It's made him something of an extremely valuable commodity. He's what all the interstellar Empires and Federations want, and have spent countless lives and ships and other resources trying to gain."

Kai smiled weakly, hating being called a commodity, but realizing how true it really was. "Each of us at this table with the exception of Kai isn't normal by any stretch. Beyond his powers a Key, he's just a normal guy."

Amane picks up there. "Who happens to be heir to the most powerful power on the planet. What with all the mecha and the Warships."

Kai looks at Vanessa and smiles. "It's not such a big deal. Everyone's human where it counts, and we all want to defend our homeworld. That's what matters the most I think."

"This is huge.", Velocity actually stopped eating and had trouble not just staring at the girls and Kai with her mouth half opened.

"This sounds kinda like Star Wars meets the Lord of the Rings directed by John Woo. Can't Ab..., I mean Kai take me back." I did it again, dammit!

Maybe this was a fucked up dream after all? Galactic Empires, Heirs and Kingdoms, Mecha? Could this be for real?

Velocity tried to smile but she had a hard time keeping it genuine. "So can he take me back?"

Kai shook his head. "I cannot. That was what I had tried to do last night. Whatever happened to bring you here, it made it impossible for me to find your dimensional signature and the corresponding world that matches it. I won't stop trying Vanessa, but for now you'll be staying here on this Earth for awhile." It was one of the few times where Kai looked truly defeated.

Velocity nodded and stared at her food suddenly not so hungry anymore. "You mean you can't bring me back ever, don't you? I'll never see my friends again - and my brother, too?"

She looked at Kai with intense green eyes hoping that she was wrong but her intuition told her he would hesitate for a brief moment before he answered and then she'd know there was no going back.

Kai looked truly ashamed, and upset that his powers had failed him again. "I won't stop trying Vanessa, It's just going to take time. I promise, I'll get you home." There was a crystaline certainty in his voice, and his eyes told the truth. It wouldn't be easy, but Kai was a man of his word.

"You can call me Velocity - no one calls me Vanessa anymore. Not since my powers manifested." Daniel is the only one who still does.

Kai's words helped her cope with the situation. At least he wouldn't stop trying and as long as there was no way she'd help the people here. She smiled again showing much of her confidence she had earlier and finished her plate.

"Is there some kind of Justice League of Heroes I can join? I don't want to waste my time here doing nothing and waiting. I'm sure I can put my abilities to good use here if that is allowed. Earn some respect, you know? I don't want to be a liability or burden - give me something to do."

Akina chuckled. "Boy is there ever..." Kai looks at her. "Well Kai, what else would you describe the officer corps of Your CRT's, and of course the Cadre of VIP's we have?"

"A more motley and varied collection of abilty, talent and personailty I haven't come across. I mean you're dating an Alien Princess, Heir to an Interstellar Empire. You Have a Russian Supersoldier as a gym coach, The Bearer of the ultimate Demon weapon the Witchblade as your bodyguard, A young cyborg from another dimension who happens to transform into a mecha when she uses her bankai. One Half Alien, half human mecha pilot who serves as the head of the school's Special punishment squad, who's mecha's death would crack the crust of the planet. Another Fully Alien pilot who seems ill at ease with the way things are. Add in my other Lieutenant who's of both Kage and Ikarian heritage, meaning he's a magical ninja, and things get prett wild."

"Currently everyone is training to improve their skills, try new mecha, or just getting back to some semblance of normalcy." Amane looks at Kai and Akina. "I understand why you want to finish school Kai, but Akina, you've lived how many lifetimes? Surely there's nothing left for school to teach you."

"I enjoy the interaction. It reminds me why I choose to keep coming back."

Kai looks at Velocity. "Each of us at this table, and everyone within Satoshi's CRT Officer Corps have special abilites, be it through alien or extradimensional heritage. Some are more powerful than others." He looks to Akina and Amane, both Captains. "I am sure if you wish to make a difference, There will be a place for you among the teams."

Akina smiles. "I'll just add her to mine, CRT while the smallest certainly seems to have the most specials in it." The fourteen year old Girl couldn't be commander of an elite unit of specials and troops, could she?"

"I'd be glad if I understood half of what you just said.", Velocity said and gave an apologizing smile.

Then Akina mentioned something about taking her into the CRT she commanded. "Am I getting this right? The freshman is a Commander?", Velocity was obviously lost. This place was sooo different to home. A slight hint of panic was in her eyes and her confidence melted away. She had trouble understanding the consquences of what was happening around her.

Akina nods. "I'm actually the most Senior commander remaining Velocity. Before my father killed me at the start of our civil war, I was among the most power entities on the planet. Using my special version of one of my abilities I bonded with the Soul of this young girl as she was dying to come back immediately as opposed to going through the regular process. I was a Young Man last time around."

"As you were told, all of us here are far from normal. Perhaps later today after our classes, We could all get together and show you the reality of what you'd be becoming a part of."

Velocity shook her head in disbelief, "I shouldn't have asked..."

She looked at Akina not trying to be disrespectful but she was having a hard time coping right now. "I always thought I'd be pretty much prepared and set with all the superheroes back home. But you guys break the scale on my weirdometer by the thousands.", Velocity chuckled and then started to laugh. Half of it was embarassement and the other half was pure stress-relief. She didn't had the time to actually grief but now she slowly understood that she was far... far away from home.

Kai starts laughing, once again sounding like Abel. I admit is is weird. I said the same thing, but all in all, things aren't bad. Everyone's still a person where it counts, and that's enough for me." Masane reached over and patted Kai's head.

"You always know how to make me feel better about things Kai."

"Despite the patronizing gesture he smiled. "I think that's my job Masane."

Akina looks at him. "Yeah, I can agree with that."

She looks at her watch. "Damn we have to get going. By the time we disembark from the ship we'll almost be late for class." She stands up, as does Kai and Masane. "Velocity, I'm going to leave you with Captain Kaunac for the rest of the day. She can show you around, let you meet the others. We have to get to class. See you when we get back."

Kai smiles. "Just take everything with a grain of salt. You're safe here."

Velocity was slowly calming down from her laughing fit. She nodded at Kai and smiled. He was soo much like Abel that it scared her. It would take a while for her to cope with that.

“Ok… I’ll do that then. Thanks for the advice A.. Kai.”, she shook her head again. Damn, I can’t get it right!

“I’m sorry, Kai. I just look at you and see my friend Abel. I mean no disrespect but you’re like his twin brother it’s scary.”

Archived