Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Places to go and tedious things to do

Mr Fox

Major Carter put down the phone and looked up at the door just as Dr. Jackson knocked on the door frame. "Come in." She smiled at him, "I guess Jack just phoned you too?"

Daniel grinned and nodded, "Yeah, said SG21 found a new list of gate addresses on Abydos." He frowned slightly, "I wish I had heard rumors of that oasis during the year I was living there. Lets just hope there are some new addresses we haven't seen before."

Sam nodded and turned her attention back to her laptop and typed for a moment and the printer against the wall started spitting out page after page of odd symbols.

Another shadow appeared in the doorway and Daniel glanced over his shoulder, "Ah here is our guest of honor now." Smilling at Olivia, "Welcome home from your first mission and congratulations on your discovery. Jack said you have some new gate addresses to share with us."

Olivia gave Daniel a pleased smile, absurdly glad that he'd called her a 'guest of honor'. She was aware that her hero worship of him had migrated a bit to something a little less heroish; she'd have to be completely blind to her own mental state to be unaware of that. "Hey, Daniel, Major Carter... well, yes, I do. I think so - I haven't recognized one yet, and I've memorized a number of the known addresses."

She pulled the bag off her shoulder and pulled out the laptop and the camera she'd used on Abydos. Hooking the two up, she started to upload the video and the images into the computer. "I haven't had a chance to parse out the painted images from the gate addresses. You'll want to see it Daniel - it's fascinating, though maybe at another time," she said, sitting down to monitor the upload. "Mmm, this'll take a long moment."

She glanced up at Daniel and the Major. "If you wanted to start now, I could begin the comparison. I looked at all the symbols, so I should be able to start seeing if we have duplicates. Do we have a list of addresses that start with a specific symbol? If so, let's start with this symbol, ok?"

She grabbed a bit of paper and pen, and quickly sketched out the first symbol from the first address she'd seen.

She was just a bit enthusiastic.

Major Carter beamed at the suggestion, "Excellent idea Doctor. Let me just enter the new parameters and start a query." She entered a long series of commands into her computer and the screen began to display known gate addresses that began with the specified symbol. It was a decent sized list maybe as many as 75 addresses. Scanning down the list Olivia was disappointed to discover that a good third of the the addresses were duplicated in the ones from her discovery. The other side of that coin was that nearly fifty addresses were not known.

Daniel whistled appreciatively. "That's quite a find you came across Olivia. That priest must have been very close to Ra or very high up in his priesthood to have had access to such a wealth of addresses. From what we know, the Goa'uld don't exactly publish the addresses for the world's they know for fear of rivals."

Olivia beamed at Daniel, barely remembering to tune it down a bit. "Thanks," she said to his compliment. But I wasn't the only one on it. It took the entire team to find it and bring the information home.

"I would love to meet this priest. He would have had to be very clever to get away from Ra with all these addresses," Olivia said thoughtfully. "And then all that work to save them, basically for someone else." She shook her head.

Daniel grinned, "I looked at the video of the writing you brought back. From what little time I had, I think he was one of Ra's high priests and got ideas of his own when he learned of the revolt here on Earth. Perhaps he intended to one day return to Nagaddah and lead the people there in revolt, but if he did he would have died." Daniel's grin faded as he told of what had happened on Abydos. "After the revolt Ra had no desire to ever deal with that again. He was brutal in cracking down on his slaves for generations. He did his absolute best to stop out literacy and any education that might lift the people above a hand to mouth existence."

Sam smiled ruefully at Daniel's words, "We've learned so much in the last several thousand years, but according to the Tok'ra the only reason Ra didn't come back to Earth is because it's one valuable resource had already been exploited. Us. They had taken slaves to planets all across their worlds and bred more hosts." There was a certain disdain and emphasis on the word Host. "We just weren't worth the effort to come back and subjugate."

The conversation lapsed for a moment in light of those words before Major Carter brightened and pointed back to the screen, "Ok, lets try gate addresses that begin with this symbol next." She pointed to a new symbol and repeated her earlier commands filtering through all known gate addresses. She was very careful to save her work and print out a hard copy of the fifty odd new addresses, before moving on.

Daniel moved back and took a seat on one of the stools that sat next to the tall metal lab table. "So Doctor, how are you liking the SGC so far?"

Olivia was fascinated by what Major Carter was doing, but this was Daniel speaking, and not just talking shop either. She tried to be cool as she spoke to him, but between him and the subject, it was hard to not grin like an idiot.

In a second, she remembered her transformation, meeting her team, the training, Declan, Red, Vinny, her troubles with Caine, her first mission and only had one real answer.

"I love it." Her expression went a little dreamy. "It's been tough, but it's been good. I've already grown quite a bit, and I can't wait to see how much further I'll advance." Her eyes sparkled as she said, "I haven't had this much fun since my first stint in college."

She tilted her head and asked, "You like it too, right? I know you could have left if you didn't like it, but have you enjoyed it over the years?"

Daniel grinned and nodded enthusiastically, "Yes, I've enjoyed it. So much so that I traded ascension for coming back and making a difference. Not that I remember being Ascended, mind you, but we just have such an ability here to really impact the future with what we do. SG1 and the other teams have saved the Earth and her population many times over and in the process we've brought peace and freedom to tens of thousands of human's and Jaffa throughout the galaxy." His smile broadened, "And maybe to the Pegasus galaxy as well. I'm really looking forward to finding out how that mission is going. I wish I could be in both places at once."

Major Carter smiled a half smile as she listened to Daniel talk, not bothering to look up from what she was doing at the keyboard. "For myself, I find the work very rewarding. I've always loved science and over the last several years, I've been able to branch out into fields that I never could have outside of the program. The chance to study and learn alone would keep me here."

Olivia nodded in agreement with Carter's words. "It is the most amazing place in the world, even the universe," she said, smiling.

"The whole universe?" Daniel asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"This is our jumping-off point," Olivia said simply, her voice soft. "This is where we start to stand up in the cosmos. And it's our home. There might be something new, or inspiring or beautiful out there, in our galaxy or another. But this is ours, forever, even after the sun dies. It is our home and our heritage." She grinned. "The most amazing place in the universe."

Archived