Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Too Smart [Complete]

Calling the room in SGC where the reports and files were kept a "library" was generous. Numerous file cabinets kept reports for reference for others to read. Many of the reports were on the computer, but paper copies were kept just in case. And Olivia loved the paper copies.

She didn't hate computers. But they were prone to losing information, and when the information was lost, it couldn't always be recovered. Plus they needed electricity to work. Paper worked in sunlight, and could be touched. Computers were soulless, in her opinion, petty machines that made work way too easy and less fulfilling.

She loved rifling through the paper, feeling it and touching it, finding things while looking for something else. It was all very wonderful to her.

She spent most of her free time here, reading and learning. Well, reading and recording, was the more accurate term for what she did. She didn't so much as learn as record everything she saw and experienced, filing it away in what seemed to be a brain with infinite capacity now. It was great for absorbing all the information that the StarGate program had generated. It was less awesome for being able to recite exactly what she'd had for breakfast Tuesday three weeks ago. While that information might someday be of vital importance to the world, the odds of that being true were small.

It didn't matter either way; she remembered that meal, and remembered the way the toast had been burnt and the milk oddly sweet. She also remembered Jackson's report on meeting the Asgard, Thor. She remembered reading from Carter's own hands her shock at O'Neill's actions when he went undercover in the NID. She read about Dan Bseiso's adventures with SG4, about Thomas Graham's time before his brainwashing, and then the report about the man he was after. She was reading about them, learning them and deriving things about them that they probably hadn't realized where in their reports.

Olivia sighed and set the folder on the single table in the center of the room. She felt like a voyeur, and yet, the information was too vital not to learn. Licking her lips, she picked up the folder and dug in again.

Steve watched Olivia read. *So that's her. Olivia Jenings... wow she's good looking for a librarian. It almost feels wrong that I'm interested in what's above her neck.*

Steve put on his best slightly anxious smile and lightly tapped on the table, "Excuse me, are you Olivia? I'm Steve. Someone suggested that I get you to help me..."

Olivia glanced up at the tapping on the table, her mind still half engrossed in her report. What she saw removed all thoughts of the report from her mind with the decisiveness of a scalpel.

Wow... uh. Wow. Um... Wow.

Olivia made an attempt to pull herself together, her hands rising to fiddle with the glasses she hadn't worn since she'd gotten contacts last year. Feeling a blush start to bloom on her face, she changed the gesture into a swift cheek scratch. And then she realized she'd been staring and hadn't said anything.

"Yes! Olivia! I am. I am Olivia." Girl! You are blowing it with the most attractive man you've ever seen, hands down. "That is my name, in case my repetitive babble a second ago didn't convince you," she said aloud, feeling herself smile. A lot.

Stop that. No way he'd be interested in you.

Yeah, no kidding... if he wants your help, he means he wants your brain-help, not your bed-help.

"I'll have to thank whomever directed you to me," she said with a smile, even as another part of her was awed that she'd said anything half that smooth in the face of this god, this pure Adonis. "What can I help you with?"

In bed? In my kitchen? Anywhere?

Did I say that aloud?

... no.

Oh, thank god.

Steve noted Olivia's response without surprise.

She's not gay. Ergo I could seduce her. Say all the right things, invite her back to my place... and in a week I'd have a jealous ex. Good GOD this place cramps my style! Again, why do I stay here in this moralistic fish bowl? Ahem. 100 Billion Dollars with a "B".

For the past few weeks Steve had learned a lot... and had been intensely frustrated. This place was amazing. It had billion dollar technologies and opportunities being guarded by people who were largely clueless to the kind of threat he represented. And annoyingly so far he hadn't found anything that he could walk off with. It was like being given the keys to an unguarded Fort Knox and then finding all the gold had been fused into one solid unmovable piece. Stealing some spoons and sneaking off would be such a WASTE.

Steve took a seat next to Olivia and 'casually' put his hand next to her, inside her personal space but not touching her, and said earnestly,

"I just... gods this is embarrassing, I feel like I stepped into class six weeks after the term started you know? I used to be an investment consultant. Those guys kidnapped me, and now I've found myself in the middle of a science fiction convention without knowing who the players are. I mean I've been through the gate. What I'm missing is the history of what's happened."

"I was hoping you could give me some kind of cliff notes version of what's going on around here." Steve gave Olivia his best 'technologically helpless' look.

Olivia didn't have a clue what he was talking about. She'd never been embarrassed by a lack of information; it'd always been a challenge to embrace, a thrill for her to chase. She didn't have to know what he was talking about for her to be sympathetic, however. So she nodded and tried not to think about how close his hand was to her arm. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about," Olivia assured him, resisting the urge to touch him and see how smooth his skin was.

Part of her was very aware that she was alone in a room with a man she barely knew. But her libido kept reminding her that he was completely hot. Perhaps it'd change if he touched her. But he hadn't, and Olivia found it hard to get concerned when he looked at her so pleadingly.

"We were all ignorant once," she said simply. The folder she'd been going through was set to the side. "At one point, I was a lowly student seeking research, when I found Dr. Jackson's research on the pyramids. You say you have no background knowledge?"

Steve nodded in relief that he was going to be saved and said,

"No meaningful background knowledge. I have no clue about the history of the gate, what technologies we've found since we started using, that sort of thing. I'm worried that someone will get hurt because I don't know something that's just 'obvious' to everyone who has been here for months and years rather than weeks."

"I doubt you'll hurt anyone," Olivia said easily, smiling at the incredibly attractive men. And if her smile was a little unprofessional, how could she be blamed? Steve was a kind of attractive that the human mind had never been subjected to without Hollywood special effects. "The dangerous stuff that we don't immediately use is kept at Area 51, like the Quantum Mirror." As Steve started to perk up at the sound of that interesting device, Olivia added, "Though that's been destroyed."

"Destroyed?" he asked, frowning. What cool technology had been flushed away by some moron?

"Let me start at the beginning," Olivia said. She wasn't joking; she began to talk about Daniel Jackson's research into the pyramids. Her narrative followed onward, covering Daniel's inclusion into the StarGate program. Olivia's knowledge of these events all came from others' reports, and so her narrative was oddly interspersed with other people's thoughts.

She didn't stop after the first mission to Abydos; she continued to talk, speaking about the rise of Apophsis as a threat to Earth. On and on she went, pausing only briefly to collect her thoughts before continuing. The stories spread out more, encompassing more and more people as more SG teams were formed. Finally, she came to a stop, admitting, "And that's as far as I've gotten through the reports. I've only been doing this for a month."

Several times during Olivia's speech Steve felt his attention start to waver and each time he reminded himself 100 Billion was a 1 followed by 11 zeros.

Steve said seriously, "Only a month? That was..." boring ...amazing. You've read years worth of reports and remember, what, everything?"

Interesting... she could be a seriously useful person. As awful as it was listening to that, just think of what it would have been like having to read all those reports yourself. She just spared you months of research... and worse, work. I wonder how she'd feel about a life of crime?

"I do remember everything," Olivia admitted. "And before you think that's great, remember that I can't pick and choose what I remember. When my CO arranged for an ambush by another member of the team, I remember how terrified I was, clearly. I remember what I had for breakfast three weeks ago today, and that the cereal was a bit stale. I even remember how it tasted. It's a useful talent, but not as cool as you think it is."

She tilted her head, smiling at him. "Was that what you were looking for? Was it... it was too much, wasn't it?" She sighed. "Sorry, I forget that not everyone loves this like I do. Was there something you need to know specifically?"

Steve said, "Your ability sounds almost like a burden. You can't hide from your mistakes... or can you just focus on the good times?"

Steve smiled at Olivia and said, "And you were perfect. A general overview was exactly I asked for and what I needed." Of course that was less general than I could have wished... but better too much information than too little. This was time well spent.

Steve said impulsively, "Would you like to have dinner?" Now where did that come from?

Her plate was way too full as it was. She was dealing with Declan's issues, she had Vinny and then there was the heart-breaking mess with Damien. She should run, not walk, from this invitation. Every logical part of her brain was pointing out how bad this would be.

It only took a whisper from her ego to point out that she'd never ever had attention like this from a man this attractive.

"I'm confined to base," she said simply, "so dinner would have to be in the cafeteria. But sure. Sounds good." She paused and added, "Tonight?" She peeked at the clock. "I guess... now, then?"

"No," Olivia said, wincing. "But I wasn't grabbed by NID, either. I was in its room in Area 51 when someone else activated the Artifact." She gave him a smile, trying not to melt visibly when he mirrored her. How can one person be so beautiful?

"So I got changed by proxy, I guess you could say." She looked at him curiously. "Were you willing? And... why are you confined to base?"

*Careful there Steve. You're with a woman who never forgets anything. You'll never be able to claim confusion on what was said now so no direct lies.*

Steve gave a half laugh, "Willing? NID grabbed me in a men's room and then when I woke up the Artifact was right there. I did the obvious thing and investigated it. Zap."

"Now if I'd known all this..." Steve gave a hand wave which encompassed the Star Gate facility, his powers, and meeting Olivia, "...I'd have leap at the chance."

"And I'm confined to base because I'm on probation. My abilities make doing background checks on me hard. Computers like to forget about me. But probation will end, background checks will be completed even if it has to be on paper, and I shall be free again." From Steve's tone being stuck on base wasn't a huge burden.

Steve continued, "But that's me. Why are you stuck on base? You're a member in good standing aren't you?"

"Erh," Olivia said, a surprising sound from such an intelligent woman. She looked a little uncomfortable as she admitted, "My team was somewhat involved in a bar fight in town on the last night of leave. While I technically did the minimum to defend myself-" gouged the eye, theeye, oh god... "-you don't protest your innocence when you land in the General's office at midnight covered in someone else's blood." She shook off the memory of what she had done that night and added, "Besides, they're my team - I'll take their lumps with them. Major Caine, my CO, is fixing things, so I imagine this will blow over soon enough."

She glanced at him speculatively. "When you say computers like to forget about you and that is part of your abilities, I assume that you mean that you somehow alter the records, consciously or otherwise." Her chin lifted as she asked boldly, "So what are you hiding? And the quickest way off probation would be to help them find the records they need, so they'll stop watching you so closely."

Originally Posted By: Olivia Jenings-Izumi
"Erh," Olivia said, a surprising sound from such an intelligent woman. She looked a little uncomfortable as she admitted, "My team was somewhat involved in a bar fight in town on the last night of leave. While I technically did the minimum to defend myself-" gouged the eye, the eye, oh god... "-you don't protest your innocence when you land in the General's office at midnight covered in someone else's blood." She shook off the memory of what she had done that night and added, "Besides, they're my team - I'll take their lumps with them. Major Caine, my CO, is fixing things, so I imagine this will blow over soon enough."
Steve looked at Olivia with respect and amusement. Not the typical librarian at all.

She glanced at him speculatively. "When you say computers like to forget about you and that is part of your abilities, I assume that you mean that you somehow alter the records, consciously or otherwise." Her chin lifted as she asked boldly, "So what are you hiding? And the quickest way off probation would be to help them find the records they need, so they'll stop watching you so closely."
Steve gave Olivia a wink and said, "I am lying. So was I telling the truth, or was it a lie?"

Steve continued, "I've told them what they want to know." *Exactly what they want to know. Always tell people what they want to hear.* "I don't think you... here. I'll just show you. Look at our feet." Olivia looked at both of their feet and noticed Steve's shadow vanish. She looked back at him but nothing else appeared to have changed.

Steve pointed at a security camera and said, "According to that camera I don't exist any longer. If you look in the records you're standing here alone. The base computers might, or might not, be busy 'accidentally' erasing my records yet again too... including any records they need or even already have."

"I'm sure everything they've found matches what they should find. They're looking for things that aren't there, and given my powers it's just going to take a while till they're satisfied that they're not finding it because it was never there rather than because it's not there now."

Steve paused and said, "Err... or something like that. Seriously though, it's just a matter of time. Just like your barroom brawl. They have better things to do and better things for us to do."

"That's interesting," Olivia said, looking from the ground to him and back. "Very interesting. Also annoying." At his surprised look, she laughed and said, "I'm a librarian. You're destroying information. What do you think my reaction would be?

"I'm also a writer. If I put you in my book, will the parts about you erase off my harddrive?" She shook her head, and now there was real annoyance in her expression. "And as a historian, someone who can erase history itself is terrifying. So your power bothers me on many, many levels."

Her tone wasn't mean, just brisk. She was being honest with him, perhaps brutally so. "Is that... did you get pretty from the Artifact?" she blurted, then her skin darkened a little. "Um, I should say, I didn't know that it enhanced people like that, but... I guess that should be possible. Have you noticed a change in your appearance since the encounter with the Artifact?"

"I'm also a writer. If I put you in my book, will the parts about you erase off my hard drive?"
Steve shrugged in ignorance. Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:
Her tone wasn't mean, just brisk. She was being honest with him, perhaps brutally so. "Is that... did you get pretty from the Artifact?" she blurted, then her skin darkened a little. "Um, I should say, I didn't know that it enhanced people like that, but... I guess that should be possible. Have you noticed a change in your appearance since the encounter with the Artifact?"
Steve chuckled and said, "What, do I look unusual?" More seriously he continued, "The artifact definitely tuned me up some. I was pretty good looking before, even did some modeling, but... yeah. I also got stronger, quicker, and most disturbingly, smarter. Before I mostly relied on social contacts to get by. Now, god, I look back at my life and wonder why I did things or didn't do things. All the mistakes I made..."

Steve got a far away look and said, "Do you have any idea what it's like to look back and realize you were just dumb?"

"Yes," Olivia confessed as they walked into the cafeteria and got in line. "Well, kinda. I look back at who I was and realize that I wasn't as bright as I am now. It's weird to know you were smart, but realize that compared to how you are, you were just not that great. I really hope that this never wears off. I don't know that I could go back to that, or to not writing like I do now.

"It feels kinda crappy, to be honest," she added. "Like you can see what choices you should have made, fights you should have picked and ones you should have let go." People and things you should have fought for are the worst, she decided silently.

Greatly relieved to have shifted the topic of conversation away from his background, Steve said, "Then you do know."

There was a long uncomfortable moment while both Olivia and Steve reviewed their mistakes of yesteryear. It lasted long enough for them to get food and then a table but when they sat Steve said, "Speaking of the Artifact, what happened to that thing after the raid? I'm tempted to try my luck on it a second time around."

A sliver of unease passed through Olivia. Something about the way he asked that made her suddenly nervous. Not really nervous, but just enough that she looked at him a little sharply for a second. "I don't know if that's a good idea, Steve," she said softly, her eyes dropping to her food as she maneuvered a forkful of potatoes into a pile. "Most of the people who touched that thing once died. I'm lucky that I lived, because we have no way of knowing who can touch it safely. If it enhances one person of ten but kills nine, why wouldn't it enhance one Super of ten but kill nine? It's a huge risk for no known reward."

She popped her food in her mouth and gave him a frank look as she chewed; when she swallowed, she said, "And I doubt that the IOA or the SGU will allow anyone near that thing in the near future."

Steve blinked and said, "They died? Then..." Clearly this was new information.

*Then they picked me for a reason. If you're going to grab random people there's easier targets. However the level of risk and difficulty of use is a lot higher than I'd thought. So no walking off with the Artifact and setting up my own super shop.*

*Wait, she said 'not allowing anyone near that thing in the near future'. So we're it for now. Now that's interesting news.*

Steve said, "Thank you. That's a foolish plan shot down by some brutal facts, but better now than after the fact."

"Maybe things worked out better for you, but some of us didn't fare as well," Olivia said quietly, giving him a glance again. His flawless skin and beautiful eyes were still making her want to do dirty things to him - not that she could ever do that with a near-stranger. She dropped her eyes to the plate; she needed to keep a clear mind. "There were stories that the NID actually had to kill a few of the Specialists from the Artifact, because they were too deformed."

Steve said quietly, "Oh" and thought a moment.

*Definitely a useful woman to hang around. The old Steve would have used these events as an excuse to get out... but any damage has already been done. If I'm going to learn about any medical issue then here is to the place. Speaking of which...*

Steve continued in a somewhat haunted voice, "That might or might not be true. At the very end there I think they tried to kill everyone. Two armed guards walked in with execution in their eyes. On the other hand, what have you heard about 'Taint'?"

"I had heard that NID tried to kill everyone, I guess under the theory that if they can't have them, no one will," she said, anger and disdain in her voice. Declan and Vinny had both been there; she didn't like thinking that NID had almost taken them away before she'd known them. "Of course, that sounds about right for those... unfeeling beasts."

She paused to visibly calm herself. "And I've heard very little about Taint, other than it morphs Specialists. Some are affected by it, others not. At this point, we're not sure what causes it."

*Great. So if I don't want to morph into a potato I need to hang around with these ethical nit-wits. Ahem. 100 Billion Dollars. Just keep repeating that until all the frustrations melt away.*

Steve asked, "Was that the end of the NID? Do I still need to worry about them?"

Olivia frowned, thinking about how NID was still talked about among the SGC. "I think they're like an infestation of termites," she admitted. "The only way you know you've gotten rid of them all is when your wood floors don't collapse. I'd love to say that they're gone, but I've heard at least one Specialist indicate that they're still around, and even SG1 hasn't been to completely stomp them out. So yeah, be careful."

*Not good. But it sounds like that particular group was stepped on which might be good enough for my purposes. Everyone doesn't know everything and my secrets weren't well known.*

Steve said, "Hmm... I'm a little surprised the main guy in charge didn't just surrender. He seemed more the type to face a court-room than to go down fighting."

Olivia considered, then shrugged. "I'm not sure who you mean," she said, "so I really can't comment." She paused and studied him; a smile crept on her face despite herself as she unconsciously reacted to his beauty. "So long as you stay close to base and are careful - carry when you're in a possibly dangerous situation - you should have nothing to worry about."

Gwyn's "Hi Doc, mind if I join you?" took her by surprise distracted as she was talking to Steve. At her nod he sat beside her with his usual tray, which remarkably for a Specialist bore only a normal portion of food - Coffee, a steak dinner, and a danish.

"Hi, Steve isn't it? Though I forget for the moment which team you got assigned to. In case you don't know I'm Gwyn Jones, one of Olivia's team mates."

"He's in the 24, with Vinny, Omar and Taylor," Olivia said, abandoning her potatoes to cut open her kiwi. As she spooned out the bright green innards, she said, "Steve and I were just discussing the history of the SGC. You've looked into it as well, I believe. We had talked about the Artifact, of personal interest to us, as well as Taint. Do you have any information about Taint? It was mentioned by Kyria and Omar to General O'Neill in a report I read, but there was little on it."

"Not a lot I'm afraid, I've come across the term as well, but little more than that. Something about too rapid development of powers, or pushing your powers too much and too fast can cause it to build up and in the process cause physical and/or mental changes in the Specialist or Nova as Kyria and Omar refer to them in some of their reports."

Finishing a mouthful of chips the Welshman turns to Steve, "So what did the Artifact give to you, apart from the obvious cosmetic job?"

The endless debriefing and meetings had Omar at his wit's end. He rushed to the chow hall to grab some food and saw several of his fellow team members. He nodded in their direction and grabbed a tray as he got in line for food. After heaping a mountain of grub on his plate, he searched for a table, even though members of his own team were seated in the dining facility. He wondered if the others had accepted him yet: he was an outsider, even if they were more alike than not.

After being waved towards them, Omar sat at their table.

"How is everyone today?" Omar queried.

*So Omar and Kyria are the experts in this? I'd known he knew more than me but... something about books and covers I guess. And 'too rapid development' suggests there's more to power use than the cards you pull at the start. OK, leaving isn't a serious option.*

Steve said, "Good to meet you Gwyn. And in addition to the obvious I have the ability to make computers forget about me. Well, computers, cameras, mirrors, etc. I can also influence them in a few other ways."

"How about you? With that food in front of you I'd think you weren't a specialist, but knowing about taint suggests you are?"

Originally Posted By: Omar
After being waved towards them, Omar sat at their table.

"How is everyone today?" Omar queried.

Steve said, "Omar, welcome, take a seat! We were just talking about taint and how it's affected by power development."

"Oh, Gwyn's a Specialist," Olivia chuckled, giving her teammate a teasing grin. "He's sometimes a hundred times the Specialist that I am." She chuckled at her play on his ability to increase his weight but let him explain it if he wanted.

"But yes, Omar, I'd love to hear what you know. It sounds like something that all Specialists should be concerned about, those of us that get new powers, anyway."

Dressed in BDU's and a t-shirt like so many others, the figure of Sgt. Perault was unmistakeable from a distance in the SGC base, whether moving with his uncanny coiled grace or sitting still. The shaggy hair and beard, the powerful broad shoulders, and most of all the omnipresent sunglasses were all dead giveaways. Not even senior officers asked him to remove those Raybans, and those newcomers that asked 'why' were simply told to cherish their ignorance by those in the know.

Right now that familiar shape was loading up two trays of food from the cafeteria serving area. The cooks behind the counter smiled at Dec, relieved he had his shades on - he looked human when his eyes were covered and was easier to deal with. Balancing a tray on each hand, Dec turned to decide where he would sit. He spotted Livy and Gwyn talking to Omar, who seemed a righteous dude, and some very, very handsome guy. Lethal eyes narrowed behind the Raybans as the other Dec growled silently in the back of his mind.

*I hear that. Let's go check this out. Stay cool, might be nothing.*

*It better be nothin'. I don't like the looks of that guy.*

*Why, cos he's better lookin' than us?*

*Shit yeah! Face it, you don't like it either. He's with one of the other Teams, not sure which one.*

*Let's go say 'hi'*

*Can we ruin his face while we're at it? We have a fork right here...* Red sounded wistful. Dec resisted the urge to shake his head.

*Yeah... might want to keep that idea on the back-burner. We don't know he's an asshole, just that he's prettier than us.*

*Damn it, I never have any fun...* Ignoring the grumbling in the back of his mind, Declan smiled as he approached the table.

"Hey guys." He slid his tray into place neatly and sat down neatly across from Livy. He seemed relaxed as he sprayed ketchup over his fries, his hair showing signs of the recent post-workout shower. He smiled at her first, then at the others, giving them all a nod of greeting. "So what's happenin'?"

Gwyn nods at Dec as he chews another mouthful of steak, commenting when he finishes, "Hi Dec, we were just about to pester Captain Omar here for some information on this Taint stuff we've heard a little about."

He turns to Steve, "Yeah, I'm a Specialist, but I've got a quirky metabolism, I can eat as much or as little as I like without it seeming to make a difference. In addition I never sleep and I'm pretty sure I don't really need to breathe anymore, except for obvious things like talking." he ends with a grin.

Olivia smiled at Declan as he joined him, and the truly observant might have noticed an odd change; where most people tensed when Declan joined them, Olivia relaxed. It was a subtle transition, but his effect on her could be noted. "With luck, we'll get the skinny on Taint."

Remembering her manners, she added, "Oh, Steve, this is Declan, another of my team members." She grinned widely. "Declan's our combat specialist, no pun intended. Declan, Steve's with the 24, along with Omar. Omar, Declan; Declan, Omar."

Omar rose, his 6'10" frame dwarfing the smaller man. "It's nice to meet you Sgt." Omar shook the man's hand and sat down.

"So you guys want to know about taint?" Omar knew more than he cared to share...with anyone, even SG Command.

Omar waited until the others had focused on him. "Taint is unfortunately, a reality for all us. Taint happens when the human body is exposed to toxic levels through channeling quantum energies. It was also called 'QBS' or 'Quantum Backlash Syndrome'. If you push your powers, there is a chance that the quantum energies can feedback through your body. When this happens enough times, physical and mental changes occur. Sometimes they are annoying...other times, they can be disastrous; hampering every aspect of your lives."

Omar waited for that to sink in. "Sometimes you just acquire taint...it happens eventually over a period of time, even if you don't push your powers. It also can happen at the moment of eruption. 'Eruption' is the term we use when someone gains the ability to channel quantum energy. If Sgt. Declan was to remove his glasses, you would see an outwards physical expression of taint that at a sufficient level to cause physical changes. Essentially, as the Taint levels grow, you become less and less human. Eventually, you lose all your humanity and have to be put down as a danger to yourself and all around you."

Aside from Brayden, Declan was the most 'tainted' Specialist Olivia knew. She fought not to look at Declan with a stricken expression; that was the last thing he needed. She needed to be strong for him, to not panic - lose all humanity and have to be put down - to be calm. No, I won't let that happen, she thought desperately. I won't fight off the Gou'ald and all the other dangers of the universe, forge a lasting peace with Red, only to lose him to this. Will. Not. Happen.

And Gwyn was more inhuman than Declan, in his abilities. Why did he look so normal? She swallowed and said, "Is there any way to tell how tainted you are? How severe do the physical expressions get before you have to worry about them? Is there a warning?"

Archived