Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 6b: From the Ashes

Dawn OOC

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James was right - it was time to go. Staying any minute longer just added to her discomfort and she didn't want to embarass herself anymore than she already did. She took James' hand and guided him carefully outside.

"I'll be home, Jas - if there's anything the Captain wants me to do it'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm done for today."

As they left the building Violet enhanced the glow around her to provide her with enough light - she needed a good shower badly and some intimacy to relax and recharge her batteries.

Walker nodded his head 'No' to Fox's question. Then he simply turned, reached out, and grabbed the sniper with the arms on his left side and slung the man up and over his shoulder in a single motion.

Turning back towards those gathered, the gunman dangling over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, he said in his dry whisper, "Should put out a search for this 'perfect woman'. Your base's been infiltrated, Fox. Have a good night."

And with that, he started out the door, stopping only to mutter something to Ger (probably asking directions to wherever the sniper was to be held for the time being). Then he was gone.

Fox looked to the Doctor, "Ok Doc, what do you have for me? I hope it's good news after this latest round of nasty revelations." He sighed looking tired. The burden of command sometimes was not very pleasant. He thought wistfully, *Maybe in spring as Captain and commander of the base I'll get to preside over some weddings or something. That would be a pleasant change of pace...* Even in his head it sounded sarcastic.

Myfwany nodded, not so much in agreement that it was good news, but in understanding that he wanted some.

"I'll let you be the jduge of that. The woman that man shot is alive. Dr Singh and I were able to save her life, though she's in very delicate condition and was still unconscious when I left to come here."

"Well, that might be good news if we can get anything out of her. She's done some major damage. There was a compound just north of here called Roff that was apparently a secret government research facility looking into the Z virus. If that guy with the four arms is correct she orchestrated an attack that killed all but 3 survivors and they completely destroyed the lab as if to bury evidence, or prevent the discovery of a cure. I have a lot of questions for her. I think I'll mosey over there and just sit by her bed till she wakes after I make a quick perimeter of the refuge to make sure all is quiet. Make sure she doesn't die Doctor. Please." The Captain looked very serious as he nodded to the doctor and made to walk out into the night.

Myfwany accompanied him. "I've no plans to let anyone die if I can stop it," she assured him. "And if you're going that way I'll go with you. I was planning on checking in on her before I go to bed."

After a few moments of silence she asks, "What did you think of his story?"

"Sounded plausible. I've seen how people can be manipulated by Violet. Not that she would do anything like this, but it could be true." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Bond, Violet, Gabrielle and myself all have social abilities of one kind or another whether is impressive looks or angelic appearance. Almost seems like they are common given the number of total supers we know of."

"I guess it makes sense," Myfwany allows. "Human beings are social creatures. If super strength is possible, or other extensions of human ability, then abilities of social influence and domination would logically be fair game too. Though that has chilling implications. It's one thing to be enslaved against one's will by someone who is stronger than you. What can you do against someone who makes you a -willing- slave?"

Fox nodded. "And where do you draw the line? I have these looks." He gestured at his face and body, "How do I not use them even unconsciously? Does that make me an evil person because I have more than my share of good looks and people will naturally be attracted to that?" He chuckled, "Not to be immodest you understand, but I'm not foolish, I know this was the doing of whatever made me different, I wasn't born looking this way. No one was ever born looking this way."

"Gabrielle looks like an angel and her little cultist pals are looking to her now like she is one, does that make her evil? I don't think so. I think what defines someone as evil is how they use those gifts. The woman that convinced that guy to become an sniper, that's evil... assuming of course she really exists. It occurs to me that it could be someone who can manipulate memories or something. Doesn't necessarily have to be a social type."

Myf shakes her head. "I never said anything about evil. To quote a show that's not on much anymore, I'm a doctor...not a minister."

She gives him a sunny smile.

"The existence of these abilities doesn't imply anything about the morality of those who have them. But it does mean we need to be aware they exist, and have plans for how to handle them. Even someone who's not 'evil' can accidentally cause problems. Or cause problems for what they think is a good reason. Or just make a mistake."

"And of course, all that applies to people who don't have special powers too. The powers just increase the stakes, they don't change the game."

Ira and Cassandra's body heat eventually could not fend off the night's chill air for her and they got dressed, changing into their cleaner clothes.

"C'mon baby, let's head to the car, feel more comfortable there than anywhere they might shack us up." Ira said, slinging the rifle on and wadding his clothes into a ball to carry.

Cass nodded as she put on the backpack and held her small pile of dirty clothes in front of her.

They made their way across the refuge, back towards the Upchuck once again.

Seek to claim your brother's inheritance, you must undo the Horned Man's legacy,...shadows gather in the havens, driven by black and white suns and those like us, under the mountain."

As they approached the car, Ira stopped dead. "That guy had four fucking arms!"

Ira

Cassie nodded. "The symptoms become more apparent," she said softly. "They ripen and ferment in the open now, snakes and arms and bright-eyed madness." She sighed. "The sands shorten in the hourglass."

Ira recovered enough to continue walking. They passed the army trucks that had come in after they had, bearing the strange four-armed man. The Up-Chuck was just beyond, and they put their clothes with the other dirty ones. Grabbing their blanket, they curled up in the front seat and were soon asleep.

Myf and Fox

The clinic was silent; Singh was sprawled in a chair near Kiet's bed, his glasses twisted on his face as he snored softly. The woman was hooked up to minimal monitors, just enough to warn if her vitals dropped too low. Myf did what she could - pleased to see that Singh's stitching was holding - and sat down to wait.

Click to reveal..
Everyone who was involved, take 4 xp.

Archived