Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 6b: From the Ashes

Dawn OOC

It appeared to be a journal, but so much of it made no sense. The first entry started normally enough, about a man who'd just bought a house and was cataloguing it's restoration. And then it went way off to the left, when he saw a fox lie down in the road and wait for a car to run it over. The writer became convinced that it meant something.

From there, he descended into madness. Every thing in his world became an omen, and he apparently began to hallucinate. Birds flew backwards, stars disappeared one night and returned the next and he had strange visitors that interacted with him in bizarre ways.

When Myf flipped to the back, she found what was likely the single most coherant and chilling entry:

10:00 a.m. I will die soon. I can tell; Death came this morning. He told me that he seeks his other half, that she has fled him and he is expecting her to come to me. But she said we'd never see each other again, and I know now that she was telling me of my own death. Regardless, Death says she'll come, and that he'll be sending Wolf to bring her back.

5:00 p.m. I saw Wolf skulking about. My sight grew dim after that. I am having trouble writing. I will attempt to watch the stars one more time tonight, to continue to see. She said I must record everything, and so it will be the last thing I do.

I regret only not asking Ella to marry me. Maybe she would be here with me now, in my last moments. It would be nice, to not die alone. While I'm wishing, I could ask the world to not be sickening as well. As she has told me, I am sick.

Maybe she will come at the end; maybe by not seeing each other, she meant that I would not be able to see her.

I don't want to die.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Touched and disturbed by these last echoing words from beyond the grave, Myfwany swallowed thickly and looked up at Ira and Cassandra.

"Who are you?" she demanded of both of them. "Why are you giving this to me? It's just some old man's journal. Most of it doesn't even make any sense."

"It is the Watcher's words," the waif said, frowning. "You are the Fox's Chirugeon; the portents are for you." She looked to the man, biting her lip, then added, "The storm itself speaks to you - why are the Watcher's portents silent? You should hear them sing. Unless... are you not the one?"

The storm itself speaks to you.

Myfwany snapped the journal shut but didn't offer it back. The chill that rippled down her spine at those words gave her more fire than she perhaps intended.

"The one," she repeated with a thread of disdain. "It always comes back to that, doesn't it? Whenever things get rough, people turn to 'the one' to come and save them. Maybe it's God or Jesus, or maybe it's some insane cultist like Elijah. Someone, anyone, to make things all right again."

She shook her head. "There is no one. No savior. No special someone. There's only one way humanity will survive this, and that is by hard work from -everyone-. Maybe there are miracles possible...I've seen a few things I still can't explain now...but miracles won't save the world and they won't save us. The choices we make -all together- will do that. The things we do -as a people- will do that. Not magic tricks. No matter how amazing they are."

With that Myf abruptly seemed to realize she'd been ranting at some innocent young girl over a seemingly innocuous, if wacked out, line. She closed her eyes and her cheeks pinkened.

"I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. I've just been hearing more and more chatter like that, and there was this cult...and none of that had anything to do with you, and it was wrong for me to come down on you that way. I'm really sorry."

Myfwany managed a smile, small but genuine, and offered her hand to Cassie and Ira in that order.

"So now that I've pretty much ruled myself out, do you need this back?" She held out the journal. "It looks kind of interesting in a dark sort of way. Fits my mood lately. I wouldn't mind holding onto it, at least until you find whoever you want to give it to for keeps."

Cassie stared at Myfwany as if she'd kicked a puppy to death in front of her. "You... you are the warrior, the endless fighter, guardian of that which is sick! You can't turn from this path!" The girl's hands and voice rose, shaking in frustration. "The portents are yours. The path is yours."

Tears rose in her eyes as Cassie whispered, "We are all sick - don't turn your face away from your destiny."

He moved to Cassie and spoke softly. Never mind the the prisoner who had nothing to say that Wesson wanted to here. He spoke in a soft tone.

"Cassie, I have learned many things in my life. One thing you should know is that, nearly no one worth calling a hero thinks of themselves as one. The ones you should admire, and aspire to be are the often the first to say you need to lead your own path, as they often understand that they too are people."

Ira watched the exchange between the two women coolly, he had no real stake in this beyond helping Cassandra. He knew to get the book to the Doc, which it appeared that he had by the way Cassandra was insisting, that meant the quest was done, right?

The doc seemed hesitant to take her mantle, but isn't that always how it went in the movies?

Originally Posted By: Cassandra
Tears rose in her eyes as Cassie whispered, "We are all sick - don't turn your face away from your destiny."

"I think what my baby is trying to say is that...maybe you should sleep on it, maybe grab a cup of coffee and snuggle up and take a gander at that book under a less stressful atmosphere, you may find it more useful than you think." Ira said sincerely.

"Regardless, I agree that you should hold on to it for now, I think that would best."

Originally Posted By: Wesson
He spoke in a soft tone.

"Cassie, I have learned many things in my life. One thing you should know is that, nearly no one worth calling a hero thinks of themselves as one. The ones you should admire, and aspire to be are the often the first to say you need to lead your own path, as they often understand that they too are people."

Ira put an arm out as the creepy old man approached, "Back off gramps, this doesn't concern you and no one wants your 'back in my day' advice."

'Ira, in my day? You are classic. You really are."

He laughed softly. That boy was slow.Well at least in the part where it counted.He walked out. Give the boy room to breath, maybe build up his pride, maybe make him think he won.It didn't mater. Wesson had a world to rebuild, and if young children wanted to drive away helping hands, then by all means. Before he walked out.

"Fox, you are a few hours drive away from something that will solve a lot of you problems.I think we should talk when you are done .For now can check a little toy I made."

Placing his radio down on a table. To most people it was nothing but a walkie talkie, but this one could send and receive on more than one frequency at the same time.

Violet waited impatiently. The room felt confining now that emotions were getting out of control. Patience was being put to a test and then there was hope, confusion, anger and a lot of frustration. Violet had a hard time telling her own emotions apart from what happened around her. She was still too absorbed by Cassandra to realize what was going on. She only felt it and it made her uneasy.

Suddenly she just spoke out drawing some of the attention to her because of her voice which was not less beautiful than her appearance. “I would like to know why you’ve called us, Captain? I mean no disrespect but I just want to get back home.”, she squeezed James’ hand and he could sense that she was getting nervous.

Jasmine relaxed a little as she heard Violet speak up with the same question that had been on her own mind. She had come because she had been summoned, but she had no idea what Fox wanted with her here.. and so far, nothing much productive seemed to be happening except maybe trying to get this prisoner to talk, or this odd girl spouting nonsense at the red-haired doctor. And she didn't know why the rest of them were needed for that. She wanted to head back to Violet's, curl up in her own bed, and get some rest.

Myf gave Wesson a confused look, then shrugged and met Ira's gaze. The whole book thing was silly, but she really didn't want to make trouble. The girl was disturbed, and clinging to some last fantasy hope. In another age, another world, Myfwany would have recommended counseling.

Now it seemed like a decent, non-violent coping mechanism.

She nodded at Ira and said, "All right. I'll do that."

Then she looked at Cassie and said gently, "Thanks. I'll take a look at it."

Who knew? Maybe there'd even be something useful in there.

"Is there anything else you need me for, Fox?"

Fox glanced distractedly at Wesson and the walkie talkie on the table and nodded, "Sure. When I'm done here we can talk."

A moment later Violet spoke asking why they were summoned. "Violet you in particular are needed. Please listed to this man and let me know if he is telling the truth. In fact if there is anything you can do to help us learn what we need to learn from him I would appreciate it."

Then in response to the doctor, "Doc, I know you must be tired, but if you could just observe this man to make sure he doesn't take a turn for the worse during the questioning that would be helpful."

Looking to all the others. "The rest of you are free to stay or go as you please, but hearing what is said here might save time later. Last time we had a meeting we ended up having to go deal with an insane cultist, and this man may have information that you might want to act on, but if you'd rather be in bed getting some rest after the day we just had I will understand."

Finally looking back tot the man, "What you tell me will determine whether I consider letting you stay or not. You've taken a weapon from our armory without permission which is an offense that can get you banished, then you used that weapon to kill a woman that I would dearly liked to have questioned. She had information that I need and you have deprived me of that information. So you are guilty of at least three major crimes as far as I'm concerned. You will be lucky to be allowed to live much less stay in the refuge. Tell me your story and answer my questions and if they are good enough I might, perhaps consider letting you stay."

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Fox glanced distractedly at Wesson and the walkie talkie on the table and nodded, "Sure. When I'm done here we can talk."

A moment later Violet spoke asking why they were summoned. "Violet you in particular are needed. Please listed to this man and let me know if he is telling the truth. In fact if there is anything you can do to help us learn what we need to learn from him I would appreciate it."

Violet hadn't expected that answer but nodded at the Captain nonetheless. "Sure - I gladly help if you need me."

She took James by his hand and looked briefly back to Jasmine, "I'd feel better if you came with me, honey."

Then she walked over to the Captain and positioned herself next to him while she tried to keep James out of anyone's way. She looked at the prisoner and inspected him a short moment before she spoke.

"Would you be so kind and tell me your name? I suggest doing what the Captain wants from you."

Click to reveal..

Jasmine nodded, stood up quietly, and walked over next to Violet. She leaned up against the window sill next to where the Captain, Violet, and James were standing. She wasn't close enough to look like part of the interrogation group, but she waited, ready to spring if it looked like anything got out of hand. Violet could feel a lingering feeling of caution and readiness coming off of Jasmine, thought it was faint - her attention was on the man. It was enough to soothe her nerves though, for she could tell the young woman was alert and focused on what was going on.

"Jeff Hill," the man said, his eyes moving from one to the other. Swallowing hard, he added, "I was sharpshooter, before the virus, which... is why she asked me to do it."

"She?" Fox prompted, his voice coming out firm rather than stone-cold.

"I don't know who she was," Jeff said quickly. "I'd never seen her before - she was really pretty though. Like... perfect. She gave me the rifle; I didn't know it came from your armory. She just said I was to shot the Asian woman, and then hide."

"She had... brown hair... green eyes... she was pretty, not as pretty as Violet, but really hot," Hill said. "She approached me at my tent. Offered me a case of Jack Daniel for... doin' it. I bargained her up to the case and a working Maglite with new batteries."

He looked quickly at Fox. "She said that the woman wasn't a good guy, that she was very bad. I was told that she wasn't a member of the Refuge, either!"

Ira leaned over to Cassie, whispering in her ear, "Hey baby, quest complete, think its time for a celebatory shower."

He stood up straight, "Hey Fox, as much I hate to leave this stimulating conversation, could you point us towards the hot showers? We don't need to be stinkin' up your interrogation."

Ira looked down at himself, gesturing with his free hand to the dirt and filth he was covered in, as well as Cassandra.

"A bed would be nice too, maybe one with a garden view, I hear the zombies are wonderful this time of night."

Let 'em think I'm nuckin futz, they'll ask fewer and expect even less.

Violet was trying to concentrate on what the man was saying and discern the truth from it. Suddenly she felt nausea as a turmoil of mixed emotions swept over her. "Too many people...", she whispered as she held her head trying to fight back the splitting headache.

Click to reveal..
activate Emp. Manipulation to scan for the man's emotion and see if he is lying.Perception + Emp. Manip. (4d10.hits(7)=0) = botch!

Everything went numb around her and she had trouble keeping her balance. There was no way for her telling if he was lying or not. Violet tried to get the Captain's attention and hesitantly reached out for his arm.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Myfwany glanced at Ira and chuckled...then remembered Singh's note.

"Actually, before you turn in, Dr. Singh asked that I check your arm. It shouldn't take long."

"You're the Doc, Doc, though you seem to be with a patient," he said gesturing vaguely with his hand at the prisoner, "Maybe I can stop by the office after we get cleaned up, no need to subject you to my bodily disfunction while partaking of my odiferous ambiance."

Fox chuckled at Ira's manner, "Yeah just ask anyone in the compound, but it's a cinderblock building, kinda long and short."

He looked with a little concern to Violet, "What's the matter? You look ill suddenly. I hope that doesn't mean this man is lying." He turned and narrowed his eyes at the prisoner. He didn't think that was the case but he didn't want the prisoner to think he was suddenly off the hook if Violet fled. Keeping up the ruse, "I know this can be stressful for you, why don't you take a seat and get a little distance, that should make it easier for you." As he took her arm he whispered for her to hear, "I hope you are ok, you look sick suddenly, just take it easy and we'll bluff the guy that you are still scanning him or whatever it is you do."

Turning back to the prisoner, "So you had no previous knowledge of this woman who approached you? And you say she was perfect, do you mean that she looked better than a normal woman should be able to, like Violet? Also, where did she approach you, was it here in the refuge?"

Ira nodded at Fox's reply, "Thanks man, just point in the vague direction, we'll find it."

Fox quickly looked around to get his bearings before pointing as he addressed Violet.

Ira turned to Cassandra, a look of relief in his eyes as the end of all this discussion and a good hot shower with his woman seemed to finally be within reach.

"C'mon baby," he whispered to Cassie, "Let's go get 'refreshed'." Ira made sure to emphasize the last as he moved to exit the building with her on his arm.

He looked with a little concern to Violet, "What's the matter? You look ill suddenly. I hope that doesn't mean this man is lying." He turned and narrowed his eyes at the prisoner. He didn't think that was the case but he didn't want the prisoner to think he was suddenly off the hook if Violet fled. Keeping up the ruse, "I know this can be stressful for you, why don't you take a seat and get a little distance, that should make it easier for you." As he took her arm he whispered for her to hear, "I hope you are ok, you look sick suddenly, just take it easy and we'll bluff the guy that you are still scanning him or whatever it is you do."

She answered in a low voice trying to keep her words unheard by the prisoner, "There are too many people here and I don't feel so well right now. I have a hard time telling the swirl of emotions apart and now suddenly everything went numb. I don't know if I can help you right now, Captain. I'm so sorry."

Originally Posted By: Jasmine Gentian
Jasmine stood up a little straighter, her face growing concerned as she sensed something wrong with Violet.. the look on her face changed slightly, and she stepped forward, taking her arm and murmuring quietly.

"You okay?"

Violet looked at Jas and tried to smile at her but the young girl could tell that she was not really ok. "I need a break. I'm of no real help right now."

It was obvious that Violet wanted to leave but she stayed for the Captain's sake to keep up the ruse.

James... reached over to hold Violet's arm hoping she'd get some comfort from that but otherwise did nothing. Violet might be having trouble, or she might be lying for reasons that would be obvious if he could see. Pulling a fast one on the prisoner perhaps.

Turning back to the prisoner, "So you had no previous knowledge of this woman who approached you? And you say she was perfect, do you mean that she looked better than a normal woman should be able to, like Violet? Also, where did she approach you, was it here in the refuge?"

"Yeah, she was a stranger to me, and I know all the ladies here, if you know what I mean," Hill said, his joke falling flat. He cleared his throat and quickly added, "She was prettier than your lady, Mr. Fox, if that's what you're asking. Not as pretty as Ms. Violet, of course.

"She woke me up in the middle of the night at my tent here in the refuge. Said she had a job for me, if I was interested," he said. "Told me to shot the Asian woman, that she was a bad person and that I'd be saving the refuge a lot of trouble." He looked a little distraught as he added, "It seems so stupid now, but it made perfect sense then!"

Ira readjusted the rifle on his back as he exited the quonset, holding Cassandra's hand. He could feel her shaking a little through the gloves and he knew it wasn't from the cold of the night.

"It's okay baby, a nice hot shower will do us both good. I'll even wash your back if you ask nice." he said grinning.

Ira was visibly relaxing despite the smell of the smoldering quarantine hanging in the air. Cassie stayed quiet during the short walk, seemingly engrossed in her own thoughts.

The distance to the small cinderblock building was closed quickly. "Never been so happy to see a rest stop bathroom my entire life."

Not surprisingly, there were two separate entrances for men and women, though at this point, Ira didn't care and headed for the entrance with the triangle-bearing person.

At Fox's question, Walker took up his whiteboard and wrote on it as quickly as he could, though it still took a moment to get it all down. Then he handed it to Fox to read. It said:

*He keeps saying, "in the middle of the night". Which night? This night? Last week? When?

Where did this woman go when she finished with him? If he doesn't know specifically, then can he tell which direction she went? And where does he live in this compound?

Lastly, he needs to be more specific. What exactly did she say to him? How did this man know which one she was - in the dark - having never seen her before? Did she say anything else not directly related to shooting Kiet?

I want more details.*

Myfwany watched Violet warily as she seemed to swoon. At her explanation to Jasmine, she approached and visibly listened in.

"I remember you asking about seeing me," she said quietly. "Did you want to do that tonight, or would you rather sleep first? I realize you had a specific question, but I could do an examination in the process...you look a little pale."

Violet smiled at Myfwany holding her breath there for a moment. Looking past her to the prisoner she still kept her voice low as she answered. "I really had a rough day - I think we all did. I can sense the tension in this room. It is palpable for me and I don't know how to better explain it to you. It's just too much right now. I really would like to talk to you soon and I hope you're planning to stay here for a while longer. I really do.", there was something in Violet's voice that really reflected that hope as if she believed in Myfwany.

"I'm waiting for the Captain to dismiss me so I can get some rest. I'm just a bit nauseated and underestimated the situation. I shouldn't have come here in the first place."

"It was last night," Hill said, his eyes rolling back and forth as he read the board. "She came to me then, and we bartered and she left the rifle, along with three bottles of whiskey as down payment. I don't know where she went; the tents are all set up everywhere over in the tenttown and she walked around one and I couldn't' see her anymore. And I don't remember exactly what she said - just that I should shoot the woman, and when I protested, she said she was the only target and she was bad, that she'd betray the refuge. She said she'd be in a dark blue uniform, take she'd likely be restrained and that she was Asian. And with the fire, I could see people right as they came out of the building, see 'em really well. And no, she just wanted to talk about the target, um... Kiet?" He pronounced it "KEY-t".

They had the showers to themselves, but the lack of towels spurred Ira's thinking process back into gear.

"Baby, no towels, and while you got clothes in the bag to change, I don't got anything."

Cass nodded in agreement, but had a question in her eyes as to what they could do about that.

"Let me run back to the car quick-like sugar. Promise I'll be back fast as I can."

Cassandra nodded hesitantly, holding his arm as long as she could and letting go of his hand reluctantly as he pulled away.

Ira sprinted as fast as he could, the rifle bouncing on his back as short bursts of inhuman speed sent him back to his car in no time flat. When he arrived, he stopped dead in his tracks, his mouth gaping wide in amazement to see Cassandra standing there, looking sheepish.

"But... How... You were... Baby?" He babbled in confusion, looking back towards the showers then at Cassie.

"Know what?" he said, calming himself, "I don't wanna know baby, suffice to say, I'm impressed."

Just ignore it man, the less you know, the better. She's hot and likes you, leave it at that.

Ira walked back to the trunk as Cass moved to join him, smiling now that it appeared he wasn't mad at her. He popped the trunk and dug through bags, using the trunk light to see by. Before long he had a King Sooper's canvas bag stuffed with a few cleanish towels and a change of clothes compromising of boxer-briefs, some athletic socks, a pair of dark blue sweat pants with a tribal design down one leg and a long sleeve blue t-shirt with the 'Smallville' logo on the front.

Ira closed the trunk the requisite three times before the latch took hold, "Okay, let's go before someone stops us."

~~~

It wasn't long before the two young lovers were stripped and enjoying the sensation of hot water running down their bodies.

They took their time soaping each other down, as much for pleasure as it was cleanliness, by the time Ira had finished massaging soap into Cassandra's hair, they were groping each other like two teenagers on prom night.

Half an hour later found them cuddling on a bench, wrapped in the towels, quietly enjoying each other's company as they listened to residual water dripping from the showers.

Dan listen in on the meeting, not particularly interested at all anymore.

"He looks to Fox and shakes his head. He pats the radio on his belt once and nods, "Call me if you have a need of me." then calmly leaves the building. He returns to his place, finding Lorraine still asleep, and quietly doffs his jacket and belt, and puts his pistol under his pillow and radio by cot on the floor and lays back down on the Cot and goes to sleep.

Ira

Cassie seemed more at peace now, as if delivering the book had removed a burden from her. Suddenly, she stiffened against him, whispering, "Red-hands in the house of God's might. They come to pillage and burn, come in God's name and forget His mercy."

She was quiet a moment before saying, "The duty is unending, even after I defy it. They are unrelenting." Whatever she was trying to say, she was clearly tired and tense again.

Fox et al

The man nodded. "Yeah, it was last night. Said she'd be here tonight." He frowned. "But... how'd she know that? I mean, she didn't tell me, and I didn't think to ask."

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
Cassie seemed more at peace now, as if delivering the book had removed a burden from her. Suddenly, she stiffened against him, whispering, "Red-hands in the house of God's might. They come to pillage and burn, come in God's name and forget His mercy."

She was quiet a moment before saying, "The duty is unending, even after I defy it. They are unrelenting." Whatever she was trying to say, she was clearly tired and tense again.

Before he had thought better about it, Ira let out a sigh and dropped his head against Cassandra, this was getting old. Was it so much to ask to find a nice white sandy Mexican beach and retire there with his hot crazy girl? He had already been through so much...

Click to reveal.. (Flashback)
Background Music

They've busted through the outer doors, I don't know how much longer we can broadc--OH MY GOD, MIKE...They just got Mike, they FUCKING KILLED HIM! If there's anybody out there, please send help...oooh shit! They've seen me... *sobbing, then whispers* I love you Emily... *crashing sound, screaming, sounds of struggling, then all is quiet as the slurping sounds of mastication take over*

Ira glanced down at Lisa as he turned the radio off. She was laying across the seat with her head in his lap. Her body gently rocking with the movements of the car as he flew down I-25. Ira had stripped her down to her underwear in an attempt to control the fever that was raging through her system. Her chest was wrapped in gauze and medical tape haphazardly, like some misfit mummy, though the wound had stopped bleeding.

"Hold on baby, Gramps will know what to do." Ira said, wiping away a tear underneath his shades. "You've made it this long, what's another few hours?"

The terrain was flat and featureless except for the occasional farmhouse and small clusters of elms & locust trees. Ira hadn't passed a car since he got outside Pueblo. A quick glance in the rearview mirror showed a large black plume of smoke originating back towards town.

The sun started its slow sink behind the mountains as another hour passed with no sign of any cars or people. The rays releasing their grip on the Midwest reluctantly, as if they knew the coming tide of darkness promised to change the world with its crashing wave.

Ira had been steadily increasing his speed, as his desperation waxed and Lisa's breathing waned to the point he couldn't tell if she was really breathing or he was imagining it. Unfortunately, Nature called, even as Hell sought fit to annex humanity.

He pulled the orange Nova over out of habit, slammed it into park and left it to idle as he ran for the irrigation ditch, ripping his pants open as he went, his bladder threatening to burst.

Ira finished and climbed back out of the small canal, jogging around the front of the growling Nova to find the front seat empty.

Ira grabbed his Dad's Browning from the dash and spun around, surveying the bleak landscape. "Lisa? LISA!" he yelled, panicking.

All of a sudden he was falling, a hand having grabbed his foot and pulled. The thunderous crack of the shotgun deafened him as it blasted the sky, just missing his head. Ira landed hard on his ass and immediately started to kick, trying to crab walk away from the car.

He managed to break free and scuttle away enough to see a slathering Lisa underneath the car. Her once beautiful eyes that had shown him love, now displayed a cold, lifeless hunger.

"Baby, don't make me do this. Please don't make me do this." Ira pleaded, readying another shell as his eyes filled with water.

For a moment, timed seemed to stop for Ira as he gazed into those eyes and remembered all that had happened between them, the fights, the laughs, the love, was there hesitation he saw? Or was his mind grasping at its last straw as it slowly floated away on a wind that reeked of death and decay?

The lunge by the creature that was once the love of his life was quickly followed by the rapport of the Citori, its blast seeming to silence the world, even as the crash echoed off the hills.

Ira collaspsed onto his back sobbing as the zombie tore into his left arm, the shot having been wide, blasting a hole in the rear panel and through the trunk. He thought about giving up even as the pain was triggering his self-defense mechanisms. It would be so much easier to just let her finish the job, lay down and die, than to try and live in this world.

A sickening sucking sound followed by a pop and immense pain brought him screaming back to the present to find Lisa rolling on the ground, wrapped around his arm like it was her last hope, gnawing on it. In that moment, witnessing the desecration of his body, Ira stopped being Ira, emotional attachment ended and everything but survival vanished. Not even having the chance to think before he reacted, he was standing over her, the shotgun in his right hand, butted against her head.

"I'm sorry baby."
~~~
Background Music

Ira held the camp shovel in his dirt & grime covered hand as he knelt at the patch of freshly turned soil, his clothes a stained a reddish brown from the valley clay. A small black velvet box was being squeezed tightly in his other hand, as the last hint of dusk sank behind the Rockies. Ira Sagebrush then fell forward onto the grave and wept, staring at his red-stained hands.

"Yes they do Cass, yes they do." he murmured quietly, squeezing her in his embrace.

Archived