Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 6a: Redemption [Complete]

Dawn OOC

"Perhaps you should go, at least once," Han said, nodding. "You are the leader, and first-hand intelligence is much better than second-hand reports." His grin became playful, a much gentler look for him, even if his eyes were still hidden behind dark shades. "But perhaps there's an even better reason to take you and you alone. Would you like to learn how to fly?

Gabrielle's face lit up and a wide, excited grin blossomed on her face. The next second, she was trying to tone it down, being bubbly rather than giddy. "Yeah, that sounds neat. It'd be really helpful, too."

"Are you, uh, sure that's safe?" Caleb asked, looking nervous again.

"I have no reason to hurt Gabrielle," Han said softly, his voice ringing with calm conviction. "I'm far more likely to cut off my own hand, for I'd rather cause offense to myself than hurt one of my brothers and sisters. I want Gabrielle to thrive and grow, and for that, I want to teach her to fly, so that she can pursue her growth and development to its fullest." He gave Caleb a reassuring nod, which seemed to calm him further. He was even smiling as Han turned back to Gabrielle. "Shall we begin?"

She nodded and the three of them, followed by several curious others on their break shift, made their way up to the roof of the apartments. Han set the blond in front of him and wrapped his hands around her hips, lifting up off the roof with the ease of long practice. They climbed high enough for her to see the entire campus and some of the city to the north, hovering in the strong breeze billowing through their altitude.

"Alright, ready for your flying lesson?" He sounded far away even though he was speaking almost directly in her ear. She nodded but he could feel a shiver of fear race through her as she stared at the ground so far below them. "Gather your power up and flare it out. When I let go of you it will learn what you need. Don't worry, I'll catch you. We'll have to do this for a while before it learns enough to let you fly on your own."

She tried to turn to look at him, frowning. "I-I don't know how to do that. I've only healed people before, and that just happens." He hands had clasped tightly over his; she was afraid he wouldn't wait for her and would let go.

He chuckled. "Okay, we'll start at the beginning, then. It's okay, everyone has to learn somehow and it's better with a teacher." He smiled at her, his expression amused at her innocence and fear. "Think about what it's like when you heal, what you feel. Think about healing someone now, just don't let go of the power. Keep it inside until you feel like you're full up and then hold it just a little longer. Give it a shot."

It took three tries before she caught the hang of it, her body filling up with the warmth she felt when she healed until she was sweating with the effort. "Time to fly," he murmured as her only warning before he let go and she began to drop towards the buildings below.

She panicked and lost her concentration, the heat streaming out from her for the few seconds he left her in free fall. His arms wrapped back around her long before she would have encountered anything solid and rolled her so that she was resting against his chest in the sky. "Not bad for a first try. Let's go a little higher and let you catch your breath. You've got to hold on to your power, though, don't let it just run away from you when you fall. Trust me."

They practiced for hours, each fall and rescue feeling different to her as the heat that he called her power began to twist and change inside her. It was both uncomfortable and reassuring, learning that she could evoke a planned reaction from whatever it was that was a part of her now and made her different from most of what was left of humanity. She did learn to trust him, her fear receding each time she felt his arms wrap back around her and keep her from a messy meeting with the earth; slowly she came to anticipate each drop, asking him to go higher so she could feel that freedom just a few seconds longer.

It was sunset when her power finally caught up with her exhilaration and worked its changes on her body. Han had flown up high enough that she could watch the birds wheeling beneath them and knew that she should be lightheaded from the thin air. He'd let go of her and kept pace with her descent, one hand on the glasses over his eyes. She was about halfway down when her power flared out from her. She tried to call it back to her and control it, but instead of settling back into place or slipping completely away it wrapped around her body; heat and pain lanced into her back and she screamed.

She came too still in the air with her face buried in Han's shoulder. He was holding her again, his arms wrapped low around her waist. She shivered and realized she could feel the twilight breeze on her bare back and that something was pulling on her shoulder blades. He grinned down at her when she looked up, "Not quite what I expected, but then you're full of surprises aren't you, Angel?" Her brow furrowed in confusion until he carefully reached out and plucked a snowy-white feather from the air around them, holding it where she could see, "Wings and all."

He lowered them back to the rooftop of the community's housing, still holding her pressed to his chest. "C'mon. I think that's enough for today and you're going to need to do some tailoring to be decent around your folk now."

The reactions from the waiting crowd was one of reverance and awe. There would be no stopping the whispers of 'angel' now, no making them see her as a human leader. She saw it in their eyes, even as Emma stepped forward with a blanket. The awe in their eyes was painful to her.

And more disturbingly, Han leaned down and murmured in her ear, "Now they see you for what you truly are."

She shivered again as the blanket was awkwardly draped around her, pulling closer to Han even though his words disturbed her as much as the adulation and awe of the others. It hurt when anything pulled on her wings, the muscles and bones still tender from twisting into something never intended to be attached to a human frame. Emma on one side and Han on the other, Gabrielle was led back inside. She had to carefully maneuver in the doorway to keep from knocking the delicate bones of her wings against the wooden frame. The hallways were large enough for her walk fairly comfortably once she figure out how to hold the wings steady and keep her balance. The older woman watched her relearn how to walk, frowning as she contemplated what kind of clothing would be able to keep the young...woman?...angel?...decently covered.

"Sit here, dear. I'll go look through the clothes we have an see if there are any of those summer tank tops that tie in the back. Those should work until we can make you some better outfits. You'll probably want to wear pants mostly now, if you're going to be flying around." Emma's voice was firm and controlled, practical considerations keeping her focused and free of the worshipful behavior of the others. She pulled a stool over from the crafts area, as all the chairs in the sitting area had backs too high for Gabrielle to sit comfortably in now.

Han's lips twitched at the prudery as he took a seat next to his 'Angel'. "It would be warmer, if nothing else," he muttered. Emma slipped off to find clothing and left the two of them alone together.

Outside, many of the members of the congregation were gathering up stray feathers that littered the ground, carefully smoothing them out and creating their first relics of the End Days of humanity. They spoke softly to each other, wonder and awe taking permanent root in their minds and hearts for the girl they had willingly sent her death only a week before. They whispered too about the visitor wondering if he would stay with them, if he was another angel like her. There was hope in that; if they became the home of the angels sent to earth then they would know they were on the right path. They would know that God loved them still and there was the possibility for redemption in His eyes.

"I need to go soon," he said, looking sideways at her, his expression and posture reluctant. "I didn't expect to come here and enjoy myself so much." He smiled. "Could I come back, sometime?"

"Anytime," Gabrielle said, smiling. She reached out and gave him a hug, earning a surprised look from him. "I was glad you came."

"I am glad I came, too," he said smiling easily. It was a good expression for him and made him look younger. "I will return very soon." Gabrielle found her own heart lighter for his presence, but she was also glad to see him leave. He was a bit disturbing, but charming, as well. He would be an interesting friend, she sensed.

But for now, she had work to do.

Click to reveal..
5 xp

Archived