Aberrant: Children of Heaven - OOC Thread

The Story Guide

Welcome back Mala, glad things are going well for you.

As for Big John, Zoey can always open a warp back to the hospital or his orphanage and then bring him back later. Please feel free to editorialize that using Zoey. I too would prefer not to drag around an absent character. I hope Dec rejoins us soon, but in the mean time Big John has an amber alert out on him and his presence would give the group away pretty quick, so they have a very valid reason to send him back right now to let the heat clear. Even if Dec were back immediately we would have to do something to clear that up anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd move it along as Sebastian really wants to find out about his parents, but being the loyal follower type, is the last one to make the first move...especially in a city he's never been to and with people he hardly/doesn't know.

So I have a question. Right now we have Xavier missing too, on top of Big John. I know we wrote Big John off for the moment, but since it appears Adrian is now gone for a bit, so are we putting this on pause, or should we just keep going? We're down by 2/7ths of our player base, and Xavier was one of our more active toons. I'm not saying we can't keep going.. I just want other people's thoughts, and Mala's.

I'm also waiting but I must confess that I'm losing drive and ambition to follow the story. I suppose Valentine is just too passive for the current situation and he won't take much action until they are somewhere settled and not on the run anymore.

I could keep posting inner monologues but they wouldn't push the story forward...

Okay, I'm gonna go demacratic here and give some info, then put this up to a vote. Firstly, I understand being frustrated that your character and the plot don't seem to be meshing, but the games I run are not really suited for passive characters. I place plot hooks and will occasionally run characters over with a situation, either to get things started or because it's some big event/plot point. For the most part, though, if your character isn't active or motivated, it's going to be either a really boring or really frustrating experience with me as a storyteller.

That said, here's the vote: put up whether or not you'd like to continue in the game. If we have enough yes votes (or someone is fine with me running a one-on-one or two-on-one game), I'll keep going. Otherwise I'll close up shop on this and look to other things on the site/in real life.

So, let me know what you want to do. smile

I'd like to continue, I didn't know what level of freedom we had, i.e. being ambushed and such, so wasn't gonnna have Skins wandering off to a store or anything, especially with Xavier and Moira engaged in a conversation to zip us off to Timbuktu and Zoey offering whatever was in the Mystery Warp. I'd be more than happy to have Sebastian take a more commanding role if he wasn't built strictly as a follower concept, but at the very least I can narrate him along further. laugh

I'm fine with continuing if that's what people want to do - the only thing I would say is this:

For some of this story, I feel like I've kind of been pulling everyone along with a leash. Now, to a certain extent I'm okay with that - Moira is more of a leader, and that's fine. I knew when I made her that I was going to be plot bitch. But.. I don't want to feel like I'm just dragging everyone along with me, and that everyone else is mostly reactive to what Moira says. I understand frustrations, and I'm not saying that less forceful characters or non-leaders aren't okay, they're fine. But.. with only five active players now, we don't have room for a lot of passivity (Is that a word? I'm in a hurry, but you know what I mean), so some slight personality tweaking might not hurt. Cause right now most of the characters other than Moira that are active are fairly shy and/or passive, and that makes it.. challenging.

Other than that, if you guys are cool with moving ahead, so am I. I hope this didn't come across and rude - I'm just expressing my concerns.

Zoey isn't all that shy and isn't passive, but right now she just doesn't know what to do. If the event had happened and no ninja's had shown up to try and kill everyone then things would be different. She would be trying to figure out a way to use her power to rob a bank or something, but right now they are running for their lives.

Sorry about keeping you waiting that wasn't my intention. I will bow out of CoH. It's not because of lack of time or anything but like I mentioned above - The game hasn't made that connection with me as I wished it would. Valentine is just too introspective I suppose and it would take quite some time until I'd be at a point where his nature allowed him to be more open about everything.

I hope you guys can go on without me, would hate if the game's future was dependent on me.

you are free to do with him as you see fit. I don't want to cause any trouble that would slow things down or make it difficult to deal with.

Maybe another time in another game should you ever try again, Mala.

I want to point out that my decision to bowing out has nothing to do with the crew playing CoH. You guys rock.

I think as long as Waki is active, and does speak up when it seems relative, we should be okay. I think it might help a bit if we could get him to somehow discover that Moira speaks Japanese, but I haven't figured out how to integrate that yet. That might open him up a bit. laugh I don't think we need to have you change your character faster than necessary, and I trust your judgement to make sure you're posting as we need to help move things along, which is my primary concern. You've been doing great on that with him so far, even though he's shy. If I see any problems, or we decide we need more, I'll let you know about it.

Anyway, I'm really sorry I haven't updated with Moira lately guys, I need to actually DO a bit of Wiki research or something on Sumerian myth to fudge something (not a problem) but haven't had the time. I hope you guys understand, I'll get to it ASAP, I promise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, given the rather glacial rate of posting and all the new games getting started/recently started on the board, I'm gonna close down CoH unless I get responses from all four of you asking me not to. The game's been fun, but I think people are spread way too thin right now, both from life and from all the games on the forum.

I like CoH, but I think my players are enjoying other/their own games more and I don't want to see post all over the board being stalled out because of too many games going on at once.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

While I love both the character and the concept of the game thus far, unless people are really willing to step up the posting I'd have to agree - I do hate feeling like I'm one of only a couple people who have the time to post in this game. So, kind of up to you guys, I guess. I have no problem staying on top of it, but.. *shrug*

I'm cool for going on. I didn't post lately in response to the questions we were asked because Eddie had nothing to provide and while I'm willing to do 'placeholder' posts, I'm not crazy about them. If you want me to, just say so, and I will.

Don't sink your game unless you're not enjoying it. smile

I like Zoey and love writing with you guys. That said, I have to agree that it seems to have stalled. I would be ok either way. If we're going to continue, then it needs to be seriously stepped up, otherwise let's shelve it and come back to it at a better time.

Archived