Aberrant: Dead Rising - Evening Distractions [Complete]

Jasmine Gentian

"What do you have in mine ... Jasmine, is it? I'm at a loss. As Fox said, the only real threat is exile and that hurts this place as much if not more than it hurts him. Hurts other people who did no wrong too."

"In the Before Time, what he did would be Attempted Manslaughter - it wasn't like he didn't know those were explosives. Come on now. I'm looking for a little justice here. It's not like I want him dead. If I had wanted that, I would have kicked him when he was down, or rolled him off the roof, not worked some first aid magic on his ass."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bond turned his face towards Jasmine with exaggerated attentiveness, leaning towards her and resting his chin on his hand as his blue eyes gazed at her soulfully. He gave every impression he was hanging on her every word. As the girl glanced around upon becoming the focus of Priest and Fox's attention, Bond blinked a couple of times and gave her a bright, encouraging smile.

Then, of course, the eye everyone else couldn't see winked slowly.

Jasmine's gaze met Bond's for a second, and she arched a brow at him faintly before turning back to the others, and taking a deep breath.

"Well.. perhaps, it wouldn't be considered a completely fair punishment. But to give James the opportunity to consider how dangerous what he did was.. and maybe so that he can learn, in a positive way, how the things he does can affect others.. he should be forced to stay back for a little while from missions, and instead focus his efforts on reconstruction around the refuge."

At first Jasmine was reluctant, but as she spoke, her voice grew more animated. She began to speak with her hands a little, making motions as she spoke. Bond had a sneaking suspicion that it might be the alcohol giving her courage.

"I mean, just because you're super strong, doesn't mean that the only thing you're good for is fighting things. I've been spending the last couple days or so helping out around here - mainly working on the men help with the construction of the wall. Can you imagine how much faster those types of things would go up with someone as resilient and strong as James was working on it? And who knows, Captain.. maybe if people actually see him getting out there and working to help them, doing the same types of jobs they're doing, and making a real difference around here - a difference they can seem with their own eyes.. then some of the animosity people feel around here for him might ease up a bit."

"Eyes is the problem. Do we wait until his eyes grow back? I looked at him and I believe he will be able to see once more, though it will take a great deal of time and energy. He'll need to learn some patience. I'm good with him being confined to base for a few weeks though - to take place once he can see again. Sounds good."

"There are things a blind man can do to help, particularly one as strong as James," Jules said softly. "He can lift and hold things. He can be the human crane with a pulley system - all he has to do is be lead forward while he's harnessed to the object. You could make him fold clothes. Anything he doesn't need eyes to do. Things like that."

She didn't envy Morgan having to enforce that.

"If I may." Bond's smooth, cultured tones wove themselves into the conversation as he smiled. "Let's not forget that the wrong was done to Priest, not to the Refuge as a whole. It is all very well asking James to pitch in and help with group projects and efforts for the defense of the community he chooses to live in." Bond idly topped up the ladies drinks as he spoke, then poured more J.D and coke for Raphael and straight bourbon for the Captain while he spoke.

"For all I know, he would welcome the opportunity to lessen the poor opinion of him that others have. But I would suggest, seeing as the topic is justice for grievous injury done to another, that the recompense be something Priest himself desires." Bond shrugged, taking a sip of his drink. "It's just an observation, and if Priest is happy to have the recompense be passed to the community, then I would consider that his choice and fair enough. But it's worth bearing in mind in case something like this comes up in the future: not everyone will be as happy as Priest to not receive goods or services as compensation for injury done to them."

Morgan nodded, "Bond does have a valid point. This is really more in the line of a personal grievance, though I'd say he and Violet both have something to answer for in terms of just bringing down the overall morale of the refuge over the last week since their hookup."

Jasmine waved away Bond's offer to top off her drink, and stood up, brushing the dust off her clothes.

"Well, I think I'm going to leave those decisions between you guys. That idea is the best I've got for now, so if it helps, great. Maybe since it's a personal grievance, you could offer the option to James in a more formal situation, perhaps with some witnesses or something, and if Priest is okay with that being the agreed upon punishment, then people will see that it was handled like that with Priest's consent."

She sat the mostly-empty glass down on the hood of the Hummer, and smiled at Bond and Jules.

"Thanks again for the lesson guys.. I'm looking forward to the next one. But I think I'd better get back, and get some rest. I'm planning on doing some more work tomorrow out on the wall."

"Wall sounds good. I have my people doing some favor gaining around the camp, but I think myself and Willy can work on the wall some. Sarah can be the waterboy and carry small stuff. It will do her some good to see this community grow."

Like maybe we are rounding the curve.

"I'm off to bed then," he pronounces as he empties his drink and lays in on the hood. "Children wait for no man ... to get up."

With that, he makes his way off into the night.

"Children wait for no man ... to get up."

Jules' breath caught as Priest's simple statement drove into her heart. Ben. Sami. They'd both been early risers. She flashed back on a hundred memories of them waking her and Dan up at obscene hours. It'd seemed such an inconvenience then, but Jules would take any rude awakening, if only it could be delivered by her children. For a terrible moment, the pain was as fresh as it had been on the day they'd died. Then it eased back to something tolerant, just as it always did.

"Excuse me," she said softly to the group in general. "I've had enough, I think." It wasn't enough, but she was guessing it'd never be enough, not to bury the loss of her family. "Thanks for the drinks, Jim." She gave him back the cup and headed into the dark. She wasn't going home. She was just walking.

Archived