Aberrant: Dead Rising - Secret Proposition [complete]

Dan Hawkins

He'd already spoken with Priest and Fox. The need to know just how far Violet could go with her emotion manipulation abilites was something that needed addressing. Fox was to important, and Priest could shrug the effects off. That left it to Dan to be the one to make the proposition.

He walked across the base, armed only with his pistol at the moment, feeling half naked even though he was fully clothed. He entered the club for the first time and walked over to the empty bar. Seeing no one around he called out.

"Violet, It's Dan. I'd like a word with you."

Violet didn’t expect any visitors and had to excuse herself from the sisters. There had been a lot of trouble lately in her little family and she was struggling to keep it from falling apart. Her mood wasn’t the best especially after that disastrous “mission” to Elijah’s little nest of crazy sheep.

She didn’t pay much attention to what she was wearing when she came down and presented herself to the Marine in a white T-shirt that hung loosely over one shoulder showing some curvature from the top of her left breast. Her midriff was bare and she stood there in some pink hot-pants that hugged her hips like a second skin. Violet didn’t seem to care much about being cold, she wasn’t even wearing any shoes.

“Dan? I wasn’t expecting you here.”, she was trying to figure out why he had come to her place. Dan didn’t seem like the type to visit her place. “I’m sorry but I haven’t found the time to open the club, yet. Is there anything I can do for you? Am I in trouble?", she raised an eyebrow as she looked into his eyes.

"You aren't in trouble, but there is something you can do for me."

He hops up on one of the stools in what he hopes is a disarming manner. "You know that your revelation awhile back made alot of people uncomfortable. The ability to control emotions is a step away from thought control Violet, and I admit it makes me nervous."

He forestalls any other comments. "I realize we've seend some of our other fellows here at the refuge do some awesome things, but you alone have a power that can make people do things they normally wouldn't."

He smiles, something only a handful of living people have ever seen. "What I want to talk to you about is seeing just how far your powers can go. In effect Violet, I'm willing to colunteer to be your guinea pig so you can use your abilities to see just how far you can manipulate emotions."

He'd just told her that people were scared of her for her power, then volunteered to allow her to use it on him, to see how far it went. He knew he'd be more than a little confused and suspicious and expected the same from her.

"You want me to do what? Is this some kind of trap you try to lure me into?", Violet wasn't sure if she should be upset or if this was some kind of prank. This was nothing like Dan. She didn't know him well but good enough to tell that something was up.

Violet hesitated and carefully worded her next question, "Maybe I got you wrong there, Dan. What is it exactly that you want from me. I don't want to end up being burned on the scar for witchcraft or whatever justice has come down to around here.", she took a half step back to get some distance from him. A feeble attempt to defend herself.

"What I want is for you to use your abilities on me to see how far you can truly affect a person's emotions."

This isn't a trick to get you exiled, or some trap to illustrate how dangerous you power can be if you so choose. I'm already how fairly aware of that, as are those of influence of here."

"What this is actually about is an honest desire to know my own limits Violet, just how strong my mind is. You alone provide a means for me to test this, to test my self control, not just of my body, but of my Self as well."

"Provided you can promise me a couple of things, I will do everything within my power to keep the others from harming you. This isn't a trap, but simply a request."

he looks at her squarely. "Now should I continue, or am I wasting my time?"

Violet sighed and gave Dan a long scrutinizing look. “You’re serious about this.” she said in a matter of fact like tone.

“Dan” she moved closer to him and reached out to touch his hand, “I’m not sure how far I can go myself.”

Violet slowly relaxed knowing that he wasn’t here to set her up and her thoughts drifted away to a “what-if-scenario” but that would be inappropriate right now. Still it made her curious if Dan had only this proposition in mind. She forced herself to let go of his hand and leaned casually against the bar giving him a good look at her cleavage. It seemed that it was impossible for her to not communicate using her body language for one very specific purpose.

“Are you sure you know what you’re getting yourself into?” she didn’t wait for him to answer. Given his background as a Marine he obviously had already thought a lot about this and set his mind to it. It was up to her to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

“I want James to be there, too. He’s the only one I trust. I mean really trust. That’s the only condition I have. I can’t promise you how you will feel like after we’re done with this “experiment”, though.” she didn’t mean to threaten him with what she said – manipulating emotions and it’s side-effects where unpredictable.

"Just so long as you do everything in your power to put me back the way I was beforehand." He chuckles as his eyes remain fixed on hers.

"I don't mind James being there, though I'd prefer this be between just you and I. This is hard enough for me to do as it is, Violet, admittting I might not be strong enough. I'd prefer not put anyone else out, especially James considering his injuries."

He smiles. "My other big proviso on this is that you avoid two emotions. Rage would be bad for both of us, every bit as bad as desire. I have plenty of the former, and you illicit a good deal of the latter just by walking into a room. I'd prefer we avoid agitating either of those."

„I do what I can do, Dan.“, she smiled at him seductively without realizing it. “I won’t do anything that would endanger any of us, I’m not crazy Dan.”

“So no rage and no desire – I can do that. When do you want to get started?”

"Now...", she took a deep breath and considered it. "I wasn't prepared for anything like this. Let me go and get James down here. He could help holding you if something unexpected happens. I'll be right back."

She left Dan at the bar and disappeared briefly behind a door which was labelled "Private". Upstairs she explained the situation to James and asked him to come down with her and help her out with Dan's odd proposition. She wasn't sure if James would welcome this and if he said he was against it she would ask Dan to leave.

"Well... I'm not sure how to start? Do you have any preferences? Or do you want me to just do it without warning?", Violet was concentrating while she waited for Dan to answer her question.

James walked down stairs with a cane and Violet's help. He wasn't happy about how long his eyes were taking to heal but they were healing so there was no panic on the issue. He took a seat and then interrupted Violet to say,

"You start with something easy. The expectation is that Dan is going to lose, so make the contest one where that won't matter. I suggest... put some food on the table and then make him try to eat."

"This isn't going to work well Violet, not unless James is stronger than I am."

He locks his hands with Jame's. "Let's test this while I'm myself. He raises their arms straight in front of them. "Force our arms apart."

In the meantime he did his best to keep them together. After a bit of effort, slowly James starts pushing their arms apart. He was stronger than Dan, but hopefully things wouldn't come to that.

He looks to Violet. "Okay, we can start whenever you want."

Violet seemed relieved that James was able to keep Dan subdued if things got out of control.

She nodded to Dan and concentrated. “I’ll start with James’ suggestion. I’ll make you hungry, just let me get something from upstairs.”

Violet left and returned in a minute putting a plate of finger food on the bar just outside of Dan’s reach.

“Are you ready?”

Dan nodded and gritted his teeth. This whole situation was discomforting.

Suddenly he felt hungry, actually very hungry and he looked at the plate longingly while swallowing down excess saliva that he subconsciously had produced. The effect was immediate and totally unexpected.

Click to reveal..
use of Emp. Manip cost 1 QP, 23 QP left

He found himself hungry for the sandwich, which was bologna with mayo, a combination he found unpleasant yet when one is hungry they'll eat anything.

"Well we know when you catch me off guard you can whammy someone pretty well. If you would please, either give me the sandwhich or reverse the effect."

(OOC his WP roll for the next shot is

(07:51:28) ChatBot: (Dan) rolls 10d10 and gets 7,2,9,9,9,9,7,4,2,2. =6 successes)

Originally Posted By: Dan Hawkins
"Well we know when you catch me off guard you can whammy someone pretty well. If you would please, either give me the sandwhich or reverse the effect."
James positioned himself between Violet and Dan and asked softly,

"Giving up after the first punch? You know she's doing it, you know what she's doing..." so either stop her or give up.

James 'looked' sightlessly at Dan and gave him a smile somewhere between a smirk and amusement, "So you're going to eat and pretend that's what you wanted to do? Dan, the way this works is she tries to control how you feel, and you try to stop her."

"That sandwich is a symbol and a token. It represents who has control and who doesn't."

James turned towards Violet and said, "Try to make him eat it."

Violet nodded at the men and focused again. Dan had an exceptional strong will. His self-control was unparalled - she felt like hitting a wall. His resolve was insurmountable.

Violet closed her eyes and tried to push a little harder but she couldn't reach him. Gasping for air she relented.

"I can't do it. You're pushing too hard against me, Dan. I think you're doing very good already. Maybe you should just eat that sandwich while I think of something else."

She went to the bar and poured herself a glass of water and downed it in one gulp.

"Maybe it'll be more difficult with stronger emotions? I usually do better when I mirror what I feel myself or at least something I can relate to better.", she looked at Dan and raised an eyebrow.

Originally Posted By: Violet
Violet closed her eyes and tried to push a little harder but she couldn't reach him. Gasping for air she relented.

"I can't do it. You're pushing too hard against me, Dan. I think you're doing very good already. Maybe you should just eat that sandwich while I think of something else."
Originally Posted By: Dan Hawkins
Dan eats the sandwich to calm down the hunger pangs gripping him and nods. "Alright go ahead Violet. I'm ready."
James lifted an eyebrow. Dan had 'won' and Violet had 'conceded defeat'... but the sandwich had gotten eaten anyway. smile

Violet nodded at Dan and gave it another try. This time she tried to summon from her memory a moment that made her extremely sad. Maybe she could make Dan cry - it would definitely leave and impression.

Again she failed to breach Dan's force of will. Maybe he was already mostly immune to her powers? Violet frowned and chewed briefly on her lips which looked kinda cute. She pouted at him and complaint. "This is no fun, Dan. You're too strong willed.", she wasn't serious about it, he could tell by her voice.

James suggested, "How about fear?" James pulled out a cigarette lighter then groped for the candle that was on Dan's table and lit it. He pushed it in front of Dan and said, "Lots of people are afraid of fire and there's the memories of my burns"

Almost as an after thought James added, "And Dan? I'd like you to put any firearms you're carrying behind the bar before we start this one."

"I am a Marine, Violet. I was on my own before I came here, I had only myself to count on, I saw and did things in that time that harden the soul. I never said this would be an easy thing."

Dan nodded. He quickly removed his combat knife, and his pistol and put them beneath the bar out of reach.

"I tend to simply fly away from something i fear." so no harm done, just if you're going to restrain me don't let go until she calms me down."

He was aware of her attempts, but luckily his own preparations and convictions were sufficent to keep her powers from affecting him when he was ready.

This nex one was one he'd hoped wouldn't be thought of. He was definitely not prepared to show fear, even admitting he had a reaction to fear was something he couldn't believe he did.

(next roll(16:07:47) ChatBot: (Dan) rolls 10d10 and gets 2,2,10,6,8,10,8,7,3,1. 5 success)

Fear?, that was a tough one. There was a lot of memories she had about fear - the most recent was her fear of losing James. Maybe if she could tap on that she could break Dan's resolve. But she wasn't sure if that was something she wanted. It made her feel uncomfortable thinking about that. Not because of Dan, because of herself.

She nodded briefly and smiled at the Marine, "I understand. I'm honestly not sure if I can pull this one off. I'm afraid myself to tap on that experience... but I'll try for you."

Her heart beat faster as she remembered the moment she thought James had died. The pictures of his scorched body flooded her mind and the fear of having lost him overwhelmed her. As she reached the critical moment she poured it all out and the force of the emotion flooded Dan's own his indomitable force of will unable to withstand the traumatizing experience Violet went through.

Violet felt her knees buckle going through the experience again but this time Dan felt it, too. Tears ran down her cheeks and she sobbed quietly. She didn't know how much longer she could keep up the intensity of the emotion.

Fear gripped his hear in it's icy embrace. It was the fear he'd first felt when Camp Lejune was attacked, and infected. "No." His hands started to shake, He looked to James, thankful for the man's blindess.

He was otherwise immobile. Fear virtually paralyzed him, he saw his comrades fall in his mind, the memories flooding back, remembered being attacked, fighting hard, but watching his men fall, his entire company. He remembered that night, when the Dead rose and attacked the survivors. He remembered seeing the torn and bloody face of his former subordinates as he aimed his rifle, he remembered the names of each man he'd called comrade, whom he'd commanded in battle, then shot down that stormy night. He remembered the despondent sense of loss, the soul-wrenching agony of shooting Lieutenant Viets. He'd gone through basic with him, hell he was his daughter's godfather. He remembered his one remaining eye, dead and lifeless looking, and then the explosion of gore as he pulled the trigger.

It was too much. Tears streaked his cheeks as he knelt there, his tough visage cracked and virtually shattered shattered. "Make it stop, Violet, that's enough, you win this one."

Dan's words meant release for her and she quickly quenched the emotion. She had slipped down to the floor, sobbing and shaking from the trauma. Dan realized that this was not about winning. Violet was crying and it didn't look like she would stop anytime soon.

"Some emotions are hard for everyone. We've all lost good friends, family, in this fight."

You shouldn't cry Violet, you have a family that cares for you though, even if not the one you had before. You still have someone to go home to."

And there was another emotion slipping through, Envy. He'd been alone since Camp Lejune, and though he told himself he didn't need others, he knew very well he did. He envied James as did every other male on base did. He had four people to go home to. All he himself had was his humvee, and the next mission. Revenge Alone would never sustain him. It was that which made him take Lorraine in, despite his limited capabilities at the time. She deserved a chance at a normal life.

As she collapsed he welt the wall rebuilding, felt it easier to return to the discipline which governed him. He sat there a moment, and then stood, taking James's hand and guiding him to Violet. "You sould console her James. It was not my wish to cause harm. I would like to continue some other time, but enough for now. He nods to her. Thank you for showing me how far I've yet to go Violet, and know that you have a freind and ally in me."

He retrieves his gun and knife and leaves, humbled, and feeling far more human than he had in a good number of months.

Violet hugged James and breathed in his smell. She needed to make sure he was alive and it helped her to cast away the pictures and memories she had of the accident. She barely heard Dan's words and was in no condition to say anything but James did nod in his direction. His words would be appreciated once she had recovered.

-Finis-

Archived