Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 4: The Division Bell

jameson (ST)

When the skin came away and revealed light brown scales underneath, Gregory started to feel queasy. His constantly crying eyes were bad enough...but now...scales! Gregory remembered seeing the changes in Adam after their absense and wondered if something similar was happening. Am I becoming a monster?

Gregory watched the proceeding with feigned interest. Most of what they discussed was beyond what he could comprehend. He did understand snippets like cleasing radiation and guardians for a hundred years, but they lacked context for him, so he just stood there and watched, hoping the others had not noticed his growing 'rash' and doing his best not to attack the itching that was now raging across his scalp.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James cleared his throat, "I think that if they couldn't produce and recycle water we wouldn't be having the conversation. They said they were self sufficient and I have little doubt that they are telling the truth.

"But I do have a question. How long have you been up here? I've never recovered any record of a facility of this scope on the moon. How many are you?" He looked at them with a curious expression.

"We have been here since the war that burned the planet. Our population numbers nearly forty thousand." Mr. Blue spoke quickly before either of the others could cut him off, "Why?"

James looked at the security guards and then back at Mr. Blue, "Have any of your people left? Have you ever sent any scouts or perhaps criminals to our world?" His question drew conspiratorial looks between the triumvirate and a long silence that was marginally less awkward than the one which had followed Doug's own line of questioning.

"No." The reply was short and succinct and even a child could have told it was a lie.

Raider tried to make his face sympathetic, "It must be frustrating to you and your guards to be outside of your time acceleration field. All of your companions are aging away while we sit here gabbing. Don't you worry that your positions will be usurped while you are away? How long has passed since we've been talking, weeks, months,... longer?" Hopefuly one of the three would betray the truth through their expressions. He might be completely off base, but even then their faces would betray that. He did his best to engage his intellect to analyze the problem.

(Activate: Analyze weakness)

Ash gives Raider the same kind of look he might get if he'd suddenly started to juggle hermit crabs while screaming the lyrics of Gilligan's Island.

"Can we get back on the subject here?" she pleads. "James, I get that they're self sufficient, but that doesn't mean we might not be able to get them things they want but can't easily get. Or we might be able to get them things they need more easily than they can get them."

She shrugs. "And really, it's not that big a shock they might send scouts down to Earth. Or even criminals. I mean, what are they going to do, keep them here?"

"Lets just...try to focus on why we're here."

"On the contrary. Time is something we can greatly afford and something we know your people cannot. While we have been talking time outside this chamber has contiued apace. We however are moving ahead at a fraction of that time. I would estimate nearly three years has passed on the earth." Mr. Yellow's grin was smug and self satisfied. Doug found that now that his attention was drawn to the fact that while relative time was moving normally there was a radius outside of which time flew by at a steady pace that was relentlessly fast.

Ashley looked, and her mouth fell open. For a moment she couldn't speak...then she looked at the three people.

"Why would you do this to us? We came here in peace, just wanting to talk. Even if we really don't have anything to offer, you could have just asked us to leave. Why would you..."

She shakes her head, unable to go on.

"Adam. I think it's time to go. Obviously we're wasting a lot more time than we were ready to."

These people must be joking. Only a small bit of time had passed since they got in here. They were trying to scare them by saying 3 years had passed. He had not needed any sleep or food, or had to relieve himself, not that he did much of that anymore, but in 3 years, he was bound to do something.

He wondered why his comrads were acting as if it was possible. Was something like that possible?

Gregory started to scratch at his scalp, which tingled something fierce.

Mr. Blue's look of shock was tempered but he nodded as though he agreed with his superior. Ms. Red however turned to your companion. "We did not discuss this. You have manipulated the situation to serve your own ends."

"I serve our plan, our goals. The resurrection of humanity will proceed!"

"You are an old fool," Ms. Red Spat. She turned to the novas, "No doubt our people have been using this conversation to set plans at work in the time you have been gone. If you leave now you risk a dangerous passage if you attempt to open another wormhole while the time dilation is in effect. I will personally order the field deactivated so that you may leave." She rose, and after sparing a glare at Yellow, made to leave.

Doug thought furiously. It was tempting to just pull out an spearhead and put it through Mr. Yellow but that'd be stupid. They were prepared for that. It might even be what he wanted, he had minions out there running things, he might be trying to martyr himself to put a capstone on it. 40,000 novas. 40,000 weak novas. 40,000 civilized novas. How would the pre-burn types have dealt with this?

Doug said, "And we'd like this criminal handed over to us as well. You do have laws against kidnapping and that sort of thing?"

"And perhaps your people have heard of trespassing!" Yellow's expression was smug, "You have no authority here, you came without invitation or permission. You have no right to call me a criminal!" Ms. Red was frozen, unmoving. It appeared as though she was waiting on the outcome of this latest point of contention.

Without an eye blink Doug responded,

"You ushered us in here, meet with us formally, and called us Earth's representatives. It's far too late to be claiming that we're trespassing or that we're not here officially."

"Then you hold us prisoner here for 4 years and counting. Have our loved ones mourned us and moved on? Or does that not matter because you're planning on killing them anyway?"

"I don't know what else to call you other than Criminal."

Doug nods to Ms. Red and says, "Perhaps we could more fully discuss this without the time field on?"

Ms. Red makes no move, no reply. Yellow replies, his tone mocking, "You came here without invitation, you infiltrated our home. You dare blame us for dealing with trespassers in the way we see fit? Perhaps had you considered the course your actions took ..." He stops, a perplexed look on his face.

Ms. Red suddenly gasps and turns on Yellow. "You dare to act against one of the three?" Yellow, quite shocked, flounders for words. Ms. Red points a finger at James, "He broke your control, in case you were wondering. You have gone too far this time Albert, and even your position will not save you. Guards, seize him, he is to be charged with illegal use of telepathy against a citizen."

The guards came forward and grabbed Mr. Yellow and hauled him out of the room under a constant barrage of protests. Mr. Blue and Ms. Red watched their expressions impossible to read. Finally Ms. Red left the room with the promise to return after shutting down the time dilation field. Mr. Blue shook his head. "Do you see? For us here on the moon it has been over one thousand years. Peace and prosperity have been ours. There has been nothing of this sort amongst us in all that time. But in little more than half an hour your people have driven a spike into our leadership, and have torn open scars over debates long thought closed. Humanity cannot survive as you know it. There is naught but strife in your ways. Even among you I have seen the way your expression tells of your opinions when the others speak. You are divided and will always be so."

Ms. Red returns, "You may depart if you wish, we will not keep you here against your will."

"Wait just a second," Ashley protests. "Whatever 'strife' just happened was here all along. The sooner you recognize that, the sooner you can deal with it. Suppressing problems doesn't make them go away. Sooner or later they always come out, and the longer it takes, the worse it gets."

"So yeah, we'll go. Maybe when you're ready to take responsibility for your problems instead of looking for someone else to blame them on, we can actually talk. Til then, we can get more than enough prejudice and betrayal back home so thanks, but no thanks."

She walked over to Adam and waited.

Sensing that the meeting was over, Doug moved over to Adam but said to Ms. Red,

"I still think there's the possibility of trade. How are you for Hardwood? Leather? Perhaps we could send you a container and see how people react?"

Raider frowned, "Ashley is correct. We did not bring strife with us, it was here all along. Perhaps it is the nature of humanity in all it's forms to compete and strive, but in that diversity is also strength if it is embraced and channeled constructively. The burn didn't occur because of taint. It occurred because of fear on the part of the human population. All that led up to it happened because people tried to stamp out that diversity that could have been humanities greatest strength, rather than embracing it and harnessing it."

"Before we go, tell us, do you intend the people on Earth harm, are your people willing to coexist with us peacefully?"

"It was not anticipated that humanity would survive the cataclysm. When the trajectory of the comet was changed it was believed the only plan to cleanse the planet and bury the radiation. As time moved forward we found that people had survived. Some of us believed that we should stop the comet and allow your people to continue on their own, the others did not. It will take some time for us to work this out. Albert's actions today will cause much debate, whence the dust settles I cannot say which faction will lead.

"Perhaps in time we will rejoin humanity on Earth, or perhaps this will finally spur us to follow those that came before, out into the stars."

Ms. Red seems resigned, almost sad as she speaks. Mr. Blue merely nods and as the two rise to leave he stops. "Be wary. Your world has moved on. I cannot say how but you will return nearly four years after you left."

Ms. Red nods, "It was not our intent to keep you as such. Our humble apologies for what has transpired. We cannot do much if you it is in our power we would grant you a favor, you need but name it."

Gregory did not know what to make of the situation. There had obviously been an argument between the Red, Blue and Yellow robed individuals, wchich eneded up with the Yellow one being arrested. Adding to Gregory's confusion, James had done something that facilitated Yellow's removal. There was also the fact that as he pulled his hands away from his itching scalp, it was covered in his own hair. There was definitely something wrong with him.

He couldn't think of anything to say, not that it was ever his strong point, but eventually he blurted something out while feverishly digging at the skin on his arms.

"Uhh..do you have anything to stop this itching?"

Anna looked at Gregory and her eyes widened when she saw him. His skin was changing and his hair was falling out revealing the same scales underneath as on his arm.

"Oh god, no Gregory.", she said in a hushed voice and bent down to him. Maybe she could somehow stop it - heal it back to how it was before. She closed her eyes and touched his arm trying to heal him with her powers.

Click to reveal..
Using Healing on Gregory - I'm sure it won't help but that's what she does. // -3 QP, 25 QP left

Raider frowned. "I guess if you are feeling generous or guilty or whatever, any information you can give us would be appreciated about Earth and what has happened in our absence, or any info on technology that could help us."

"Can you make me look normal again?", Anna asked hesitantly trying to shield Gregory from the robed ones eyes. Anna didn't really expect an answer but at least she had asked the only thing that she could think of that could improve her life.

Quote:
"Oh god, no Gregory.", she said in a hushed voice and bent down to him. Maybe she could somehow stop it - heal it back to how it was before. She closed her eyes and touched his arm trying to heal him with her powers.

Gregory held another fist full of hair in his hands as he looked up helplessly at Anna. The skin he had momentarily been scratching on his arms had flaked away, showing more reddish-brown scales underneath.

"Uhh..Thanks, but I don't think it did anything."

"We do not research taint and we have no cure. You are doomed by genetics to fall to the same fate as those before you. Even now one of yours falls another step away from humanity." Mr. Blue's face is aghast as he speaks, the revulsion towards Gregory's sloughing flesh and Anna's own twisted form is readily apparent.

Ms. Red steps forward, "What you ask I cannot do. To share our technology with others would require a vote, which is certain to fail. As for us, our future is the least certain than it has been since the war." Blue scoffs at that, seeming to not share Red's more lenient stance.

There is a sound like a low bass beat and the harsh flames of Adam's warp cast a reddish glow into the room. "OK, enough of this crap, anybody not staying had better get their ass in gear." He turns and looks into his warp, "Looks safe enough, lets go." James shrugs and is the first through, his expression pensive. It seems odd how quiet he had been throughout the discussion, rather unlike him in most every way.

Ashley stood still and quiet, trying to work all this out in her head, and more importantly in her heart.

What's it gonna be, Logan? Give them what they deserve and prove them right? What's a few years anyway? You're just counting down until you shed your skin like Greg, right? Hell, they did you a favor.

She was tired. Tired of being subject to forces that seemed greater than hers, tired of feeling hopeless. Most of all though, tired of being angry.

So she walked over to 'Red' and offered her hand.

"This didn't go the way we wanted," Ash says quietly, "But it's good to know that whatever happens on Earth, humanity's got an ace up it's sleeve. You guys have done an incredible thing up here, and I hope you can keep it going. Good luck."

Whether Red shakes her hand or not, she nods and turns to walk towards Adam's warp to return 'home.' Wherever, and whenever, that was.

Doug said,

"General rule of thumb is part of being ethical is treating those weaker than yourselves well. Well, we're gone for now, but I still think with enough effort I can find something you need. I said it before, a good business man makes his markets."

Doug walked through the portal without offering to shake anyone's hand.

Raider hadn't gotten nearly as much from the meeting as he'd hoped, and in fact they had lost a great deal in the missing four years. He hoped his home was still his home, but he doubted they'd find much the same on their return. Giving a final sigh he turned insubstantial and invisible as he stepped through the warp, hoping things would not be ugly on the other side.

Ms. Red shakes Ashley's hand though by her expression she finds the action either distasteful or perhaps quaint. She and Mr. Blue watch as the group leaves, Adam passing through last, walking backward as though he expected them to attack them.

They found themselves standing in the middle of a muddy street. People are staring openly at them. A child, seeing Anna and Gregory begins to cry and its mother quickly picks him up and starts moving away at a fast pace. Raider's home, boarded up and looking worse for wear than when they last saw it sits nearby.

Raider quickly moves to his house and ghosts inside to see how things look before coming back out and calling to the others to join him, he remains invisible and insubstantial however. "Judging by the looks we're getting I think we should step inside and do a little scouting of what's been going on before we reveal ourselves. Adam can you make another warp into my shop please?"

Raider passed into his home and found that the inside was less recognizable than the outside. Everything of value had been stripped away it seemed, his workshop was bare, cleaner than he could ever remember it being. The interior of the house was mouldy and he quickly ascertained that there were multiple leaks in the roof. He sighed and passed through to the basement and then into the secret subbasement. His sanctum was secure still, but the house above it would need major work, if indeed it could be salvaged at all.

Outside Gregory quickly used his power to blend his skin color into the surroundings. As he did his entire body began to itch furiously. He found that it did not itch only where he had peeled his skin away and revealed the scales beneath. It was maddening and Gregory knew the only way to make it stop would be to return to visibility or to scratch it. He was afraid that he knew what would happen if he started to scratch as well.

Doug reached out with his mind but he could not tell if KB was receiving. He received no reply in return, it would seem that even after four years she had not overcome her hatred of telepathy. Unless of course there was a simpler and more distressing reason why he received no reply.

Raider emerged from his ruined home and Adam nodded opening a new warp into the garage which Raider haw found to be the least damaged part of the building.

Doug looked around and sighed. KB was either dead or out of range or just not receptive. He supposed he could fly over to where he and KB lived, or used to live, and see if there was anything left... but suddenly he was less than eager too do so.

Doug said, "Well... now that they can't listen in, anyone want to comment on our ethical mass murderers up there?"

Archived