Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Breakfast Conversations [Complete]

Hang-overs were kinder than the headache that Olivia sported right now. Thank goodness she needed less sleep than she used to, because last night had been way too long for her. And all the back and forth of the long night had left her with a headache. And her leg and wrist hurt. It had been a really bad night.

Because they were meeting with O'Neill that morning, Olivia was dressed in no-nonsense BDUs and had her hair pulled back in a pony-tail. Aside from the marks of tiredness on her face, she looked ready for her first trip through the StarGate; there was a nervous, eager energy to her that belied her apparently lack of pep. There were a couple of reasons for this, and one of them had just arrived.

"Hang on, guys," Olivia said to her team the next morning when a certain towering man entered the cafeteria. "I've got to have a conversation with someone." She ignored any dark looks or grumbling; she was just going to be across the room. Picking up the bag on the bench next to her, she angled across the room and intercepted the tall man before he found a seat. "Morning," she said to him, tilting her head back to meet his dark eyes. "Care if I join you for a bit?"

Vinny stopped short as Olivia moved to block him from taking his normal spot at the table his team always ate at before a mission, at least before they were assassinated by the NID.

He looked her over, noticing that female need to communicate again.

Woman's fuckin' hot in uniform... would be fuckin' blazin' out of it.

"Yeah, sure." Vinny was confused, he had thought the evening had been enjoyable, but then she left all in a huff, and assumed that any communication from her wouldn't be voluntary, let alone this soon.

A glance at her teammates wasn't exactly inspiring confidence in where this conversation was going either.

He gestured towards the table he was headed and set down his tray full of food, way more than he felt like eating, but routine was routine.

Olivia took a seat, putting the Wal-Mart bag on the table. It'd been tied shut pretty firmly, and its blue handles stood up like ears. As Vinny sat down, Olivia pushed it toward him. "I wouldn't open it at the table," she said softly. "It got a bit messed up on the way back here. I can replace it if you can't get the blood out.

"But thanks for the loan."

"No, no grenade." Olivia grinned wryly. "I 'packed' that bag myself, so any surprises you find will be from me. But I'll just tell you now - there are no surprises in there, other than the stains on the shirt.

"While I have you here, I had a bit of a question about the bar fight." She quietly noted his reaction to that as she said, "You've said you didn't start it, but one of my teammates - someone I place a good deal of faith in - claims you did. So you'll understand if I'm left wondering what the heck is going on. I don't know if you'll tell me, but I'd like to hear your side of the story, and with the same notice I gave last night. I have no intention of judging, mostly because that's not my place. But if you did start it, I'd like to know why."

Vinny glowered at the mention of the brawl, becoming interested in his food.

"Told you, didn't fuckin' start it," he spit out quietly, "Fuckin' jerk-off butt-bronco did."

He looked up at that, giving her the same look he did the previous night in his apartment, looking for that sign that said he could trust her. What he found evidently didn't garner anymore explanation as he killed a piece of toast, ripping off half in one bite.

"Good," Olivia said with a little smile. And she did look as if she meant it. "I figured that it was a mistake. Gwyn said you hit the cowboy first, but he must not have seen the cowboy's first punch."

She watched him eat for a moment, folding her hands in front of her. "Thanks for getting me out of there," she said softly, her dark eyes warm with gratitude. "It got messy in there, apparently. I'm just as glad to have not seen it. One less ugly memory."

Vinny looked up as she mentioned Gwyn, "Yeah."

"Anytime darlin'." he said twirling the fork in his fingers much the same way he probably does with a cigar. "Saw the Beast fight...seen fights in that place, no place to be when it gets ugly."

He avoided mentioning the eye-gouging, lest it remind her of it. Vinny was happy to be getting a smile out of her again and didn't want to do anything to ruin it.

"So you're not pissed 'bout last night?" he ventured.

She shook her head, making the ponytail wiggle. "Not really," she said. "I don't know that I liked being pulled away from my team and Kyria. They were really worried about me." And Dec was a wreck. She didn't say that. She'd rather cut off a hand than to let anyone outside of the team know how bad it was with Declan.

She took a moment to really study him; his dark eyes and hair, the way he relaxed those always-tense muscles in his face when he talked to her. He was almost not scowling right now. His general similarity to Hatchins was still a little eerie, but the longer she spent time with him, the more she saw and felt the differences. Hatchins would have wanted a reward for rescuing her; Vinny hasn't asked for a thing, except that she not make him drink alone, and that she let him drive her home. He seemed so gruff and angry all the time - was there something more to him than piss and vinegar?

"But you were trying to help me, in your own way," she added, shrugging. "I can't fault that." Her smile became a little more mischievous. "Besides, I had some fun at the end. I think before I put more items up for wager that I need to figure out an appropriate challenge level. You had no problem with those bottles; it was clearly way too easy for you."

Her brain finishing filtering and filing the entire dialogue and Olivia stopped and blinked. "Wait. The Beast? Who or what are you talking about?"

Originally Posted By: Olivia Jenings-Izumi
"But you were trying to help me, in your own way," she added, shrugging. "I can't fault that." Her smile became a little more mischievous. "Besides, I had some fun at the end. I think before I put more items up for wager that I need to figure out an appropriate challenge level. You had no problem with those bottles; it was clearly way too easy for you."

Vinny leaned back and patted the area of his uniformed chest in which he normally hid his cigars. "Dunno, seemed alright to me." He smiled, instinctively mirroring Olivia's expression.

Her brain finishing filtering and filing the entire dialogue and Olivia stopped and blinked. "Wait. The Beast? Who or what are you talking about?"

Vinny leaned forward, pushing his try aside as he threw his forearms up on the table and leaned in to whisper, "Perault is the Beast...didn't ya see him 'n the mind-reader fight? Fuckin' nightmare in uniform."

Olivia blinked in surprise; Vinny respected Declan, even as he was a little afraid of him. That was an unusual reaction from Vinny, and Olivia found herself startled. But she remembered, with that damned, vivid acuity, how frightened she'd been of Declan at times. The memory of Red was there, and Olivia repressed a shudder. "I didn't see the whole fight. Kyria did pretty well, though, from what I saw.

"But... I don't know that I like you calling him that," she said softly. "He's not an animal; he's a man, and a good one. See, Declan's the one that's going to get me home," she told Vinny. He didn't know that she'd never said anything like that aloud before. But her eyes told the truth; she truly believed that if things went south on a mission, Declan would save her.

It was either a universal truth or an illusion waiting to be shattered.

"You're thinkin' too much darlin'. Called him Beast, like, 'That man's a fucking beast!' Not like he's a damn dog or nuthin."

Classic case of a woman hearing something for her to get defensive about instead of what was really said. When men, especially Vinny, say something, they mean what they said, not what they said.

"Yeah, he'll get ya home." Vinny nodded, "No shittin'...question is how much of yer fucking sanity you'll have left."

Vinny sat up and put his hands behind his head. "He lets loose on some fuckin' jaffa while you're starin', you'll never look a fuckin' sloppy joe in the eye again."

"Yeah," Olivia said dryly, "I was raised to associate a different meaning for that word. My mom's not what you'd call a great supporter of the military. Or war. Or guns. Trust me, 'beast' is not a good thing in my house."

She considered what Vinny said, then said seriously, "I think I'll recover from that, where as I wouldn't have the chance to recover if I were dead. One thing I've learned - you can survive anything, if you live through it."

Shrugging, she lightened her attitude and added, "Besides, I'm largely vegetarian anyway. Sloppy Joes are not real food. They're pseudo-food. But I catch your intent."

"Maybe vodka kiwi's." Vinny quipped, "Tell ya what, next base Q, you bring kiwi's, I'll bring the babybacks, we see what wins the popularity contest."

Vinny thought there might be another challenge in there somewhere, and definitely one he thought he could win. If nothing else, the mental image of Olivia slathered in barbeque sauce was enticing.

But Olivia was shaking her head with a wry smile. "Nuh-uh, no way," she said. "I know soldiers; after having eaten with Dec, Damien and Gwyn for the last month, I know that simple fruit has no chance against ribs. It has to be a fair challenge, Vinny, or it has to be fair if you want another token from me."

She considered for a moment, licking her lips as she pondered. "We could always have a ribs contest," she said. "My ribs against yours. You might not want to do that though - my mom was born and raised in the South; I still have kin down there. Grandma Jenings has a killer sauce recipe. It almost wouldn't be fair to you."

He was getting into this, challenge was what Vinny was all about and Olivia licking her lips had him fixated.

"Sauce!" Vinny mocked, turning his head to the side as he leaned back, "Darlin' everyone knows its all about the rub! Sauce is for the posers that burn the meat and don't know how to take it low and slow and smokey."

Vinny pulled a cigar and his 'token' out from his inside breast pocket, which was now threaded on an old bootlace. "And trust me darlin' I know how to smoke. Challenge accepted."

He twirled the token around his finger winding it up til it rested on his forefinger, the cigar seeming to magically appear in his mouth.

Vinny took her small hand gently as his massive paw enveloped hers, shaking it once firmly, but holding the grip as he spoke.

"Not plannin' on losin' darlin', but, by some divine intervention a loss comes my way," Vinny nodded, "Do believe I can muster somethin' up...but just so we're fuckin' crystal...what kinda devil-deal we talkin' here? Wouldn't want the wager to be fucking caddy-whompass."

"I have something in mind," Vinny said, releasing her hand, "But the idea of waiting til after the mission sounds better, give me time to roll it around in my mouth, get a taste for it."

He leaned back and stroked an invisible beard, a look of contemplation dominating his face. "On the other hand, I tell ya now...you have to chew on it the whole mission."

She's gonna fuckin' laugh...and not with you.

"Hmm...tell ya now...tell ya later...what to do..."

Olivia put her elbows on the table and a wry smile on her face, waiting patiently for Vinny to finish vacillating. "It doesn't matter," she said, her voice dry. "You're male, more importantly, you're Vinny. I can probably guess the top three things you're thinking."

She held up a finger. "A date." Another finger rose. "Making me blow up plastic toys with fireworks." Another finger rose. "Some of my dirty underwear."

She grinned and said, "I'm thinking of having you perform I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General in front of Caine and no less than three other people, complete with choreographed movements."

Vinny's face scrunched up a little as she laid bare his plans...at least partially. "First guess was correct, however, if I want you to blow shit up, we'll blow shit up, not any of that fairy shit."

"And third," he said, waving a hand in disgust, "Keep the stanky clothes to yourself, anyone that says they like that are fucked in the head."

Vinny leaned forward over the table, closing the distance between Olivia and himself. "Want me dressed like Napoleon spouting nonsense? No problem, but if I remember correctly, it is traditional for each performance to put its own spin on the lyrics, and you being a writer...I would expect no less."

Vinny leaned back, satisfied that he had handled that well and in his mind, come out on top...even if he lost.

She laughed. "I said three guesses, though I knew that you only had one. The others were for laughs," she told him, still giggling a little. She was a bit surprised that he'd agreed so readily to her idea, but it showed that he was able to laugh at himself. It was an underrated trait in a man.

"So we'll both think about it on-mission, and talk again when we're both back?" she said. She was willing to agree - how bad could a date with Vinny be? "But if I accept the date, and I do lose, you can't take me to Kiki Nass, ok?"

She laughed. "I said three guesses, though I knew that you only had one. The others were for laughs," she told him, still giggling a little. She was a bit surprised that he'd agreed so readily to her idea, but it showed that he was able to laugh at himself. It was an underrated trait in a man.

Vinny's face went blank as she laughed, it wasn't that thrilling to be that easy to read, let alone the butt of the joke, but at least he wasn't mad.

"So we'll both think about it on-mission, and talk again when we're both back?" she said. She was willing to agree - how bad could a date with Vinny be? "But if I accept the date, and I do lose, you can't take me to Kiki Nass, ok?"

"That shit-hole?" Vinny said, putting a hand to his chest in mock offense. "Please, give me more fuckin' credit than that darlin', but don't go expecting some bullshit romantic first date that sets expectations so fucking high you walk out on our second date."

Oh yeah, there'll be a second.

Vinny watched her walk away, winding through the tables...well, he watched her ass walk away with a couple quick glances at the swaying ponytail, trying to avoid noticing the 'non-glares' he was getting from Caine.

Come on darlin' gimme the second glance...comeon...comeon

The infamous second glance, that one signal that would let him know if she actually had any real interest in him or if this was all for show and just wanted to humiliate him.

One step, then another, and another, and Vinny was starting to sweat. She was at her table - and he saw it. As she turned to take the seat, she glanced away from Caine, who was asking her a question, and looked back at him. It was a short glance, but he'd seen it; it was real!

Then her eyes went to Gwyn, and that mischievous grin crossed her face, and he knew she was telling her team about the bet.

Sometimes, she was easy to read, too.

Archived