Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Dangerous Curiousity [Complete]

z-May Allman

Ronnie turned red and focused on her bottle intently, scraping at the label with her strong thumbnail. "You didn't know then, either," she said softly. "It's supposed to be a secret. I'm kind of in trouble with... everyone else now."

She sighed and tipped her head back. "You've never gotten with anyone here," she said, the blush creeping down her face and neck. It was starting to disappear under her shirt when she said, "Lena's curious, since you always had to run your mouth about who and/or what you did last night. She'd done me a solid, and then used it to get some privacy and tried to fuck you with it." She lifted her head and smirked at him. "You need some more catch phrases, dude."

She wished she hadn't said that. If he hadn't sounded so much like himself, she might not have heard him, and he would have had sex with Lena. She grimaced, then decided she was in this deep; she might as well go further. "Lena's a little psycho, by the way. You should probably avoid her."

The sheer weirdness of that statement was lost on Ronnie, as near as Travis could tell.

Travis laughed, "Yeah, no offense, but you aren't really proving the model of psychiactric health. Ronnie I ... what the hell am I supposed to say right now? What do you want me to do? I'm hardly a bastion of the normal average Joe." He took another pull from his bottle. "I'll keep your secret as you've been keeping mine, you know I'm good for it, at least I assume so. As for everybody else in your head ... well, I dunno what are your rules?"

Ronnie scowled at him. "First, don't call me crazy. I'm not," she snapped. "I'm sane, I'm just stuck in a really bad situation that I have no escape from. I have to share my life - spend five-sixths of it stuck away from life or listening to other women bitch about how much time I need to do my job."

Frustrations that had never been vented aloud to someone outside her head came pouring out, and Ronnie picked up speed. "I mean... do you know how many times I've had to replace my clothing? I've woken up in strange places? Lost days of time trapped inside?"

She stopped herself and waved her rant away. "Not the topic. Anyway, they'll keep your secrets, just as they always have. We're supposed to be respectful, and though Lena's wicked pissed at me right now, she probably won't target you. I'll fucking kill the bitch if she does."

Travis made a face, "Umm, how can you kill her? You ... she ... maybe you arn't the same but you are part of the same person. Shit this is fucked up." He finished his beer and got up to get two more. "OK. Clearly this is beyond my tiny fragile mind. Whatever." He waved his hand in an absent minded gesture. "Would it help if I banged Lena a little? You know, like a consolation prize. I mean if you don't want me to I won't but, seems like such a waste ..."

Travis didn't hear Lena's biting laughter. Oh, sweet, listen to that: consolation prize. That's lame; he wants in my pants, bad.

The table had a fist-sized hole in it before he was done talking. Ronnie pulled her hand out of the table, even as the bartender started to freak. "I hate that cunt," she said to Travis with way too much calm.

She stood up and walked to the bar, pulling out some cash and counting a few bills of. "There. Sorry about the mess." She glanced back at Travis. "You coming?"

Travis turned white staring at the hole in the table. It was less that he was worried for his safety and more surprise at the strength of the reaction. Ronnie would need to be one strong woman to be able to hurt him at all let alone easily, but they anger she had shown. Best not to poke at that subject again. She stared at him from the bar and he shook his head clear, "Oh. Umm, yes ma'am."

They walked out into the blinding daylight and the slap of hot dry air. Immediately Travis wished he had his beer back. "August thirteenth right? Sheesh, give me some credit." Ronnie looked at Travis with an astonished look on her face. "What? You act like its a big deal or something."

It was a big deal. It meant that he cared enough to remember. "Dude, you forget stuff all the time; why wouldn't I surprised to find out you've remembered a date that didn't revolve around sex, booze or a mission. Also..." Her eyes widened. "I haven't told you that since you got amnesia." She pulled off her sunglasses and peered at him. "You remembered that?"

Oh, my, Celeste said, amused. He's more into you than you realized. Kiss him.

No! Ronnie said, her posture getting flustered. He'd get the wrong idea.

Or the right one. Go on. Do it!

No!

Travis considered thoughtfully for a moment. "Well, I didn't just guess it. I dunno, seems like a lot of stuff just peeks in from time to time and says hello. Maybe I'm getting better." He looks at Ronnie's flickering expressions and misinterprets them. "Or maybe I'm learning to read minds! Woooo..."

Ronnie rolled her eyes, relieved that the conversation had passed to something else. She heard Celeste tsking in the back of her mind, while Lena laughed at her. Ronnie didn't care. Things were ok, and she was almost giddy with the thought that she had someone who she could share her secret with.

Laughing, she put an arm around Travis' shoulder, man-style, and remarked, "Trav, to read other's minds, you must first have a fully-functional primary brain. Your secondary brain isn't going to cut it."

"Sounds hollow to me," Ronnie laughed, only to laugh harder at his sour expression. She released his shoulders, only to clap him on the back, thankfully with only a fraction of her strength. "You look like you can use more beer," she said softly, smiling with affection. "C'mon... this round is on me." Turning, she led her friend search of another bar.

Archived