Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 2: Resistance

Joani

As if suddenly realizing what she was doing, she stopped looking at him and turned back to the planning session, waiting for some sort of plan to be decided on. Fighting she could do in a pinch, but strategy was not her game.

Instead she was running through all the possible avenues in which Adrian could know her, or have found out about her. Where did she go wrong in...what did she miss?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom was getting fed up with the wrangling, "Ok, Travis, Ronnie and me will go and try to sneak in. Morgan keeps in contact and when we get to an appropriate place feeds the data to Grav and she sends Orphan in. We cover her while she does her business and Morgan watchs to tell Grav when its time to get us out."

He turns to Travis, "Now lets just grab Ronnie on the way out and go do this thing!"

Adrian slumped back, resigned. Personally, he wanted to go along with the sneaky part of the mission. If they got jumped, they would need him, but there had been too many arguments so far. He wouldn't add to them. Instead, he turned to Juno.

"Say we split up into two team and figure out a way to attack these things. I'm sure Hicks has some pointers the rest of us can use. Hicks leads one team and you the other?"

"I'll look after the twins, you take Tim and Doc. Sly, Sam, and Anna are the non-combatants.

Juno shrugs, stifling her own reaction that she wanted to be in the sneaky part. On the other hand, if the job was to distract...

She grinned suddenly.

"I've got an idea. I'll need to talk to Hicks though. Is he...?"

Juno looked around and didn't see him.

"Man, what are they -talking- about out there?"

“Damn it,” Ronnie growled, “I don’t know any of these people, either!” She took a quick step forward and kicked at a stone bench; the concrete shattered and crumbled under her strike. Immediately after the violence, she stopped and sagged, shaking her head. “Damn it, damn it. Sorry. Sometimes... I get really frustrated.”

“I guess,” Hicks said wearily, eyeing the crumbled mortar.

“Fuck,” she said, finishing off the cigar and grinding it out under her foot. “Let’s go back. Let’s see what they’re thinking, and then I’m going to agree to whatever Travis and the General have convinced them to do. Simply put, there is no good plan when we’re dealing with a bunch of civvies who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to actual combat. So what you, the general, Travis and I are going to have to do is carry them as they get their first taste of blood. We’ll get them through this alive if at all possible. Deal?” She offered him her hand to shake.

When he shook it, she grinned. "Let's get back inside and get this massacre on the road." He had a nice handshake, she reflected as they walked back in.

Click to reveal..
Joani, I assumed that Hicks would agree, just to move things along. If that's untrue, please feel free to edit.

Kevin continued sitting in the corner, knees up to his chest, elbows on knees and face in his hands, barely rocking back and forth.

In his mind, Kevin was categorizing the faces of everyone he'd ever helped, verses the faces of everyone he hadn't been able to save or who he could link the death or hurting of to his proximity.

The length of the second list was very disheartening to Kevin, especially in light of the shortness of the first list. Of course, the first list would've been much longer if he included everyone that he had helped over the years, and not just those he had healed from the brink of death. Of course the second list would've been a lot shorter too, if his imagination weren't so adept at connecting seemingly unrelated things and tracing them back to himself.

He made no attempt to hide his state, emotionally, physically or mentally, from any form of detection. And while he was running through these lists, all the voices and discussion that was happening around him was merely just background, indistinct murmering.

Originally Posted By: Rorx
"Ok, Travis, Ronnie and me will go and try to sneak in. ..."

"Listen, I appreciate the enthusasm but from what I've seen your powers and steath don't so much go in hand. Stealth means quiet, not hypersonic shouts." Travis nods at Adrian, "That's good thinking. The doc and Hicks can each help you guys out, right doc?" Travis looks over when Kevin does not reply. "Umm, somebody broke the doc." He walks over and shakes the other man lightly, "Hey man, you here? We got people that are going to need your leadership tonight."

"Fine, I just thought that since it would already have gone tits up by the time I needed to use an attack that wouldn't be an issue. Normally I can be quite quiet, and I thought you might one someone with you who is proven to be able to take these things down."

He shrugs and heads for the door, "I'm going to get some breakfast, you guys send someone down to tell me what you want me to do when you finally decide something. Or more likely I'll see you down there at lunchtime."

Originally Posted By: May Allman

“Fuck,” she said, finishing off the cigar and grinding it out under her foot. “Let’s go back. Let’s see what they’re thinking, and then I’m going to agree to whatever Travis and the General have convinced them to do. Simply put, there is no good plan when we’re dealing with a bunch of civvies who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to actual combat. So what you, the general, Travis and I are going to have to do is carry them as they get their first taste of blood. We’ll get them through this alive if at all possible. Deal?” She offered him her hand to shake.

“Deal!”, said Hicks and smiled at her again. He turned and walked back to the meeting waving Juno off as she approached him. “Not now, Ms. Reyes. We need to get this show started. Ask your question after my little speech, ok?”

Captain Hicks reclaimed his position and addressed the Mutants and kids.

“Ok, listen folks – this is what we do. Ronnie will lead the strike team and picks those who she things are fit to do the job. Orphan – you’re with her and I’d prefer if the kid went with her to protect her but that’s your call, Ronnie.”, he nodded at her and faced the rest of the group.

“We will organise a distraction unit with two objectives – One, buy Ronnie’s Team as much time as possible to accomplish the mission; Two, provide us with supplies and make enough noise to draw their attention to us. Six – you lead the supply-team. Take the kids you think are fast and witty enough to stay out of trouble while you carry as much medical stuff and edibles as possible to our base. Stay out of trouble – got that?”, Hicks nodded at Six and smiled giving him a wink.

“My team will first take the Wal-Mart east of the MIC. I’m sorry kid, the idea with the University is grand and would’ve been my first pick if it wasn’t claimed by the enemy. We don’t have the time or the firepower to drive them out there and built our base. The Wal-Mart has been ignored according to our intelligence report. Ronnie – you pick your team and then we roll. I lead the rest of the group. Godspeed.”

Archived