Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 2: Resistance

Joani

Six was obviously relieved to hear that Juno was still alive. "That's good news for a change."

He looked at Travis and shook his head, "We have no means to get out without the Army or the machines taking notice. Most of us thought it's better to stay and fight. Some have heard that Vegas is not the only city under attack. I think this is larger than just a riot. Are you guys all Mutants?", he tried to word it carefully not wanting to insult anyone.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon wrapped an arm protectively around Savannah. *Let's learn a little bit more before we decide what to do. We were taken four years ago, so whatever is going on, it was planned. Rash action is just going to get us caught again.*

There was an echo of her fear - and her anger - in him, but it was colder than hers. His eyes flicked over the others in the group, curious as to what answer would be given to 'Six's' latest question.

Joshua was a bit shocked to hear that there was fighting going in the streets of Vegas. He knew tensions had risen, but apparently it had gone up a few notches. As crazy as the story sounded, if Joshua hadn't just been through what he had he would have found the story a bit hard to swallow. Now it seemed like a bad dream had come true.

Click to reveal..
Subterfuge roll to see if Six is lying

1d10=5, 1d10=2, 1d10=7, 1d10=7, 1d10=3, 1d10=3, 1d10=4 2 sux

Tom was a little cautiaus in his reply to Six, "Let's just say that at least some of us are mutants, but all of us have been out of the loop. Is the fighting restricted to the MIC? What is happening in the rest of the city?

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
" Are you guys all Mutants?", he tried to word it carefully not wanting to insult anyone.

Travis turned back to the group. "We're all people. All human beings. The sooner we give up applying needless labels to differentiate ourselves from each other the sooner we can get down to pooling our efforts, pulling together to come through this safely.

"Some of our people are out there, looking for supplies, and answers. For now we need to wait here for them, when they return we can discuss, analyze, and then act. In the mean time we need to assess what we have here. What are our supplies? Food? Weapons, if anything? Tools and the like. And knowledge. You kids have seen more of this than we have. We ... we were captured early on an only recently escaped. Anything more you can tell us, anything you can remember about these robots and how they act and fight. All of that information will come in useful."

Click to reveal..

Hurt -1 / QP 9/28 / WP 3/3

(08:40:08) (Travis_Kincaid): Rapport roll to inspire (3)
(08:40:12) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 3d10 and gets 10,6,1.
Result = 1 sux

Savannah listened listlessly to everyone for a little while, leaning into her brother's arms and looking exhausted. Finally, she sighed, a bit fed up. She was tired, both mentally and physically. She was hungry. And above all, she was worried about her brother, who seemed more spent than she was, though they had been through the same ordeal. She she cleared her throat, which was still hoarse, and finally spoke up.

"Look.. I'm sorry to interrupt. I'm sure these people have interesting information, and I'm sure they're very curious about us as well. I have no doubt that all of that should be shared. But please.. for the love of god. It's late. We're.. exhausted. We want nothing more than rest. Perhaps in the morning, all these vital issues can be discussed. Those of you who would rather stay up and speak.. feel free. But is there some relatively safe, quiet place where we could lay down and rest? We're.. done, for now."

There was no argument or room for debate in her voice. Whatever the rest decided to do, she knew what was best for her, and for Sieg. And that was all she cared about, at the moment.

Annalise nods. "Indeed. She looks to them all. several of us are exhausted from our own ordeal, right now a good night's sleep would be much appreciated. I don't suppose you guys have any sleeping bags and whatnot below?"

Six raised his arms defensively. "Hey, hey - I'm not the one who started this whole Mutant/Human-shit. They are out there hunting Mutants- these machines are terrifiying and those they can't capture they kill. They called in the National Guard to get hold on the riot at the MIC but that was not what was really going on. There is some kind of invasion going on. They shut down everything. The last bit of news we got was that the US is officially at war."

Looking at Grav and Savannah his features softened and he tried to be as supportive as he could. "Actually we do have some sleeping bags. I'll go get them for you. I suppose you guys need some rest. Fortunately the school has been off their radar for now, lets hope it stays like that for awhile.", with that said he ran off to the basement and got enough sleeping bags and pillows for everyone to get some decent rest.

Click to reveal..
Six is not lying about what he is saying.

"Yeah, I for one could definitely do with some sleep about now." agrees Tom.

When Six returns he thanks the youth and takes his pillow and sleeping bag off into a corner and tries to shut out all the distractions so he can get to sleep.

Sly gratefully accepts a sleeping bag and heads to the laundry to get his own clothes back. With his leather coat hanging up perhaps it would be dry by the time he woke up. He figured on keeping the sweat shirt though. It could come in handy as a disguise. In the morning after a little rest he would reach out to the minds of his allies in the city and find out what they knew. For now recharging his batteries was top priority.

Travis shrugged, Perhaps it is for the best, these people are not yet ready for this. I should have gone with Ronnie, I would be of more use to her than I am here. Travis found a spot in the gym and resumed his meditation, even the hour he had taken already had made a huge difference. A few more hours and he would be ready to make a go of shorting out what their resources at hand were.

Sly planted his sleeping bag near Travis and the twins, "That meditation stuff do any good?" He got into the bag and got as comfortable as possible on the hard wood floor. He didn't bother getting undressed or zip up the bag. he wanted to be able to exit at a moments notice. Once he was settled he propped himself up on one elbow and looked at the man, "Never got into that spiritual stuff much myself, but days like these make me wish I could believe something out there was watching and helping."

As if in reply Travis slowly levitated roughly a foot above the gym floor. Again his hands were laced behind his head and his legs were crossed at the ankles. He didn't look at Sly but he did reply, "It's not really a religious or spiritual thing. It's a state of mind, a way of focusing, clearing the mind while also putting the mind's power toward constructive ends. A few hours of meditation are often as good as a full nights rest. Though, given the chance I'd always choose a night's sleep with a woman in my arms than meditation any day." He smiles silently.

Simon took two of the sleeping bags and unzipped them, using one as a pallet and the other as a blanket for him and Savi. They'd spent four years trapped and away from each other; he wasn't spending this first night in away from her. She'd grabbed some of the pillows and they both bedded down with sighs of relief.

Simon wrapped his arms around his sister and was asleep almost before his head hit the pillow.

Sam walked into the gym, so exhausted mentally, physically and spirtually she hadn't known if she would even make it to the school. Luckily there was one level pulled out of the collapsed bleachers when she entered and most of the fives were snug in sleeping bags.

Lucky bastards

She quickly made her way over to the bleachers and using her pack as a pillow, laid down in exhaustion, the glow from her circuit-skin illuminating the bleachers behind her through her shirt.

Travis opened an eye and turned his head toward the door as he heard the latch open. He didn't move apart from that but he was already gathering his power, keeping it loosely formed to allow for maximum tactical flexibility. The little cyborg woman had returned. Well I guess technically she's not a cyborg, must be some sort of mutant too. Travis sat up and crossed his legs into a lotus position. Silently he glided over toward the bleachers where the young woman was starting to lie down as if to sleep.

"Welcome back. Did you leave so you could contact your masters? Or is there more to you than we know?" Travis's voice was quiet and would not carry, he also made the effort to quell any hard emotions from it, he didn't want her to assume he had negative intentions.

Sam's gut reaction was burning anger, and she almost started to grow in size before she realized what she was doing.

She sat up, looking the man over, trying to remember which five he was.

That's not fair!

It was really, but that didn't matter to her at the moment.

"If I was, you'd be dead." she said, her anger giving way to her normal, if still a little hoarse, high sultry voice. "I came back because humanity needs your help."

That sounded sooo cliche.

Travis managed a wry smile instead of laughter, the threat seemed pitiful from this girl. "I think you'd find I do not fall so easily. But you did not actually answer my question, you tell me nothing I'm not already aware of. Who are you? Why were you working with our captors only to switch sides now? What do you know of them?" Travis's voice had a hard edge to it, not anger or a threat, a simple cold harshness that spoke of his resolve.

"Back off preppy." Sam said getting irritated again. "My name is..."

Who was she now? How much should she tell them?

"Just call me Orphan." She said standing up. "They were controlling me, and they are poised to conquer the planet within a week."

Let's see how that goes over.

Travis did laugh this time. It was quiet but he laughed nonetheless. "Preppy. That'd be funny if this wasn't so serious. Listen, 'Orphan'," he made little quote marks in the air with his fingers as he spoke her given name, "You might as well walk right back out that door if you aren't going to answer questions. You'll find no help here, no body will spare you a second thought. You want our help? We want answers. See, I got no reason to trust you and plenty not to. So if you expect anybody here, or any of the others when they return, to give you any slack, any help ... you're going to have to explain yourself to us first." Travis floated backwards slowly, "I think maybe I'll let you sleep on that, I hate repeats so in the morning, if you are still here, you can explain it to everybody, and just try to give us a good reason to trust you, to help you." With that Travis started to slowly floated back across the gym towards where he had been resting.

Click to reveal..

Hurt -1 / QP 9/28 / Wp 3/3

(14:59:16) (Travis_Kincaid): Intimidate 6 dice

(14:59:18) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 6d10 and gets 8,8,2,2,8,1.

result = 3 sux

Sam blanched as he floated back, she wanted nothing more than to blast the cocky sonuvabitch across the room while she ripped him in half, but that would be counter-productive right now.

You don't need to trust me dickwad.

Sam grabbed her bags and stormed out of the gym, making a valiant effort to slam the door as she left. No way she was sleeping in here now.

She made her way to her car, (it was her's now anyway) and got in, trying to get as comfortable as possible. She set the alarm on the car, that way if anyone approached she would wake up with enough time to react.

Travis reached out with his TK to prevent the door from slamming. The other needed their sleep and it was within his power to ensure that it went undisturbed. He glided back to where he had been and tried to relax. The world is in danger and we are the ones who can save it? Shit, the world is seriously fucked.

Tom sat up from where he had been listening to the too loud conversation. "Fantastically done oh great and mighty person who assumes he should be our leader. The one person who might be able to supply us with firm information about the enemy and you are immediately antagonistic enough to drive her away. Ever head of the adage of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer? Oh, well. It's done now, see you in the morning."

And with that he lies back down, keeping his ears open for any movement as well as comments.

"She's an agent of the enemy. Why else would she refuse to answer a few simply questions? As you recall she was leading the robots that came after us. Or maybe you don't." Travis didn't bother adding more, what was the point? Didn't hear you jumping in to help out, asshole. Where the fuck is Ronnie, I wanna get the hell out of here.

"As I recall she was behind the robots that I took out, and it was decided to rescue her both because it seemed the right thing to do and because she would have information. I've got as much reason to think Ronnie is an enemy agent as I have her. After all Ronnie was conveniently awake and knew how to unplug us, and then was trying to dictate where we went and what we did. By the way, I don't realy believe that of Ronnie, but the objective evidence over the same amount of time that we have had with that girl was similar. All I'm saying is that given your wish not to repeat things you could have just let her crash here, where we could have kept an eye on her, and then we could all have heard what if any information she might be willing to give us, or we could get out of her."

Tom shrugs as he finishes, "But who gives a fuck, I'm too tired to do anything about it now, and I was too late to do anything before you drove her off, so we'll just have to deal with it in the morning."

Travis didn't reply, he simply closed his eyes and began to meditate again. It was hard work, he had to quell his anger first before he could concentrate properly. He didn't understand Tom's problem, the woman had to prove herself reliable, and if Tom and the others didn't want to trust Travis' word on Ronnie then maybe they didn't want to trust him either. Fine by me, less baggage.

Savannah had curled up with her brother, and though she had been hovering close to sleep, the sound of someone entering, and the ensuing converation had kept her awake. She glanced down at her brother, who was already sleeping soundly, then quietly slipped out of his arms, and the sleeping bag. She quietly opened the door so as not to disturb anyone else, and followed the girl outside.

Click to reveal..
Rolling for stealth: (15:54:18) ChatBot: (Savannah) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,3,2,7 = 2 suxx

She had already locked herself in her car, and Savannah heard the alarm beep as she approached. She stepped up to the window and quietly knocked on it, hoping not to startle her too much. She was tired, and drained, but the look on her face wasn't one of hostility, or even distrust. She murmured, too quietly for Sam to hear without rolling down the window, but she could make out the words.

"Can we talk for a minute?"

Sam jumped at the knocking on the window, an odd looking gun having already formed in her hand.

Originally Posted By: Savannah Tanner
"Can we talk for a minute?"

The alarm didn't go off, can't make mistakes like that Sam, you must have just locked the doors. So tired.

The gun disappeared back into Sam, seeming to melt into her hand. She sighed as she rubbed her eyes and brought the seat back up to its upright position. Her face was glowing in the darkness of the night, as was most of her body that could be seen through her white shirt, the circuits reminding anyone that saw her that she just wasn't normal.

Sam looked at the five, then grabbed the steering wheel at the standard ten and two before banging her head a couple times for good measure.

The lock on the passenger-side door clicked and the door popped open slightly.

Savannah opened the door quietly, and sat down in the passenger seat. She closed the door too with a quiet click - not closed enough for driving security or anything, but at least it kept their conversation contained.

"Look.. I don't know what that guy's deal is, or why he seems to think he's in charge. He seems kind of full of it to me. But I'm too tired right now to argue with him about anything. They don't have any more reason to trust you than they do me, or my brother. Maybe they only trust us more because they pulled us out of those tanks half-dead.. I don't know. But if you have something to tell us, then I want to listen. I figure if you're telling the truth, it's probably pretty important. And even if you're not, I should at least know what it is you're trying to lie to me about - though that doesn't seem likely. So.. please. Can you tell me what's going on? The rest of these people don't seem to have many answers."

Sly opened on eye and said groggily to Travis and anyone else that was awake, "You can trust her. She wasn't with the little green men by choice. I scanned her when she got knocked out before we left the ship, otherwise I would have said something when she went off on her own." He yawned a massive yawn and closed his eyes again.

Originally Posted By: Savannah Tanner
Savannah opened the door quietly, and sat down in the passenger seat. She closed the door too with a quiet click - not closed enough for driving security or anything, but at least it kept their conversation contained.

"Look.. I don't know what that guy's deal is, or why he seems to think he's in charge. He seems kind of full of it to me. But I'm too tired right now to argue with him about anything. They don't have any more reason to trust you than they do me, or my brother. Maybe they only trust us more because they pulled us out of those tanks half-dead.. I don't know. But if you have something to tell us, then I want to listen. I figure if you're telling the truth, it's probably pretty important. And even if you're not, I should at least know what it is you're trying to lie to me about - though that doesn't seem likely. So.. please. Can you tell me what's going on? The rest of these people don't seem to have many answers."

"I don't know if I should be talking about this right now. I'm exhausted," Sam said almost pleading. "I will try to explain everything in the morning...I've had a suck-ass day and really could use some sleep."

Sam turned to look at the former juicebox, "You probably could too, you look tired."

The subtle clues that she wanted left alone right now were plain enough, though the effort to be polite put a strain on the smile she was trying to put forth. She had to be nice, right? The battery wasn't holding anything against her, least she could do was not bash her head into the dash and dump her outside the car...

Savannah looked at the girl, the nodded reluctantly, glancing back towards the building where she knew her brother was fast asleep. She reached for the handle of the door, and started to open it, but glanced back at Sam one last time.

"I just.. wanted to make sure you weren't going to leave, because of a single jerk. He might not want answers enough to be polite about it.. but I know that at least my brother and I do. So.. thank you. And we'll see you in the morning, then."

With that said, she got out of the car, and quietly closed the door behind her. Sam saw her half-jog, half stumble towards the building, in search of her brother, and rest.

Sam grumbled something that sounded like a 'good night' as the door closed, and this time she made sure to set the alarm before once again reclining the seat and getting comfortable, using her jumpsuit as a blanket, as well as a shield to keep her ever-present nite-lite to a minimum.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Sly opened on eye and said groggily to Travis and anyone else that was awake, "You can trust her. She wasn't with the little green men by choice. I scanned her when she got knocked out before we left the ship, otherwise I would have said something when she went off on her own." He yawned a massive yawn and closed his eyes again.

Bloody hell, that would have been nice to mention before this. Travis wasn't sure what to do anymore, but he was starting to realize that you couldn't deal with civilians the same as you dealt with soldiers. He and Ronnie were soldiers, and apparently the Doc was too. The rest of these people were just ordinary folk, they weren't trained to act under stress, they weren't used to dealing with hostile or potentially hostile opponents. Then again, I don't remember anything past three months ago, who's to say I'm qualified to deal with this crap? Travis suppressed a chuckle and then clears his head. I'll deal with it tomorrow, if tomorrow even comes.

It was early in the morning when the "scouts" returned. They easily found their way to the others in the gym. Some were still sleeping, others were about to wake up. A new day awaited them and they all felt much better after some rest. Now they needed to make a plan and start pushing back.

(ooc: Everyone that has gotten 6 hours worth of full rest in the Gym. You recover 1 point of WP when you wake up)

Travis' eyes fluttered open and he settled back down to the ground and stretched his muscles for a while. He felt rested and refreshed if a bit sore still. He made his way to the kitchen and rummaged through the refrigerators and cabinets there. After some searching he found enough to make a decent attempt at a meal to quell the ravenous grumbling of his stomach. He ate in silence, glad that none of the others were yet awake. After he finished he located a spare pair of shoes and socks in the teacher's lounge and while they were far from perfect when combined with the suit he now looked merely like he'd been wearing the same clothes for some time and less like a hobo.

Travis made his way to the roof. The sun was already low in the sky and the air was heating up, it felt good to simply let the sun soak into his body. The crunching of wheels on pavement brought his attention to the parking lot. A drab olive green Hummer pulled into the lot and parked. Travis crouched low and watched, waiting to see who, or what, would exit the vehicle. When Ronnie's purple head stepped out he sighed with relief and stood up as he saw the others disembark, including an apparently military escort. He wondered what Ronnie had gotten them into, This can only create more problems. He rushed down through the school and met the others as they came in from the outside. "Hey. What's the deal with all this? What'd you learn?"

Click to reveal..

Hurt (-1) / QP 28/28 / WP 3/3

Something had not escaped Adrian's attention during all of this encounter. The Government was bad. The Government took away your liberties and put you into camps. It made sense to him that there were mutants who helped the government out in exchange for not being put into camps. That is why he had been so careful all these years.

"That's nice," he responded to Juno without much passion. He was feeling betrayed. What was Ronnie's game.

He thought on the matter and decided he had to guess. The US government was in serious trouble now. They needed the help of whomever they could lay their hands on. They had tapped their pet mutants to find the US of A that help and charged these race traitors to direct their powers against said threat.

Sure, that was a bit of paranoid thinking, but in the absence of evidence, what else did he have?

Now it looked like the survivors of that space disaster were being set up to be used. What could he do? All he really wanted to do was save his sister from the camps. Maybe he should talk to Juno first before making any accusations, but what if she had been bought off to save her father? Maybe she was clueless to what was really going on? What was really going on.

Man this was confusing. Who could he trust to give him a straight answer? Ronnie had flat out refused to be of any help, which didn't engender any trust what so ever. Why does she think she is better than the rest of us?

Adrian sat back the trip in silence. Once they got back, he looked in quickly on his sister then cornered Juno.

"Juno, how did you get the Hummer, and access to the base, and the PDA? Is Ronnie working for the Government? If so, she could be leading us all into a totally screwed up situation."

He spoke in a hushed, intense whisper. He was looking for either validation, or for something he had overlooked that would make everything make sense.

Archived