Alternative Hero Games

Well, while we all love Aberrant (for a variety reasons), I was curious to know if anyone here enjoys any of the other "Superhero" genre games out on the market.

I ask this because I just picked up the Marvel Superheroes Adventure Game on a lark and have found it to be decently put together (for what it is). I'm curious to hear other opinions of it, or Champions, or Bood of Heroes, or......you get the idea.

I have always been a big fan of the original Marvel Super Heroes game(not the one with the cards). That was one of the things that originally got me interested in Aberrant. I really liked the way the game was set up. It was 1 of the easiest games that I've ever played. Everything goes off of 1 chart with the players rolling percentile.

They used karma for experience. You could use it to beef up your character, or to increase your whenever you needed (provided that you called it before rolling). Advancement was fairly difficult, but they offset that by having power stunts. You could develop new powers on the fly by subtly making changes to your prexisting ones. It was always nice to be in the middle of combat and figure out a new power that you could develop for the fight, and then do it.

If you can find it anywhere, I would recommend picking it up.

I was a huge fan of the Classic Marvel RPG. It was spectacularly simple to learn. It did have a few shortcomings but it was such a user friendly system that hardly mattered.

I've run it a few times in conventions and have had some fairly good feedback.

A few other things in Marvel's favor that admittedly are lacking in Aberrant.

A) They statted out EVERYBODY. Every Tom, Dick and Electro got some attention and their stats were put somewhere for somebody to use.

B) You could create ANYTHING. The power system was large enough to be able to handle nearly any possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, MSH orginal is good. You needed a little more that the basic set to have a decent game though...the Ultimate powers book was a must. (I think its available online...)

I have an old copy of champions around somewhere, it was a little restrictive but quite good. I hear the new edition is better. You can check it out at http://www.herogames.com

GURPS:Supers is worth a look also...as long as you take the sample characters in the back with a sense of humour. The GURPS system works well to create gritty campaign worlds.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Ok, I've found what I think is the single best mutant game. From what I can tell, it's basically a homegrown mutant game, based Marvel mutants. It's simply called "Mutantkind in the World of Darkness."

It's free, and I've put it online at the following link:

http://www.sharecom.ca/poet/games/mutant.zip

I love this system, and I would really love to play a game or two in it. Unfortunately I cannot GM a game. Any takers?

• 1 year later...
How about a PBEM/open world Champions shared superhero game Each GM can create a campaign based either on: A] The comic or B] a TV series or even C]A series of Movies. If anyone is fammilliar with the HERO system please contact me at my email or PM me.

Archived