Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Training is for Fools [Fic]

Valerie

At first, there was nothing. This was very rapidly changed as a vast plain filled with grass and sporadic trees and creeks appeared. Landing on a stump, Valerie unsealed the Stock de Zaburei, its glow oddly unsettling.

She could hear it a hundred yards away; that horrible laugh that hung on the air around her. Walking toward her wearing the same black robe and white overcoat, the spiked hair and the eye patch on his right eye. "So you brought me back, eh? Wanted to have your pretty little head split in combat? How bothersome. I will fight you at your own level, maybe that will make this fight fun."

Kenpachi Zaraki, the beast-like man they had fought and defeated in another dimension. It had taken all of them to drive him back in the canyon ambush and it had taken all the capabilities of the Asterion and the Meteor to kill him in a one on one fight.

"Keeeen-chan! You can do it! Show that ugly girl what being strong is truly about!" An unexpected creature, almost a mote compared to Kenpachi, a redheaded fairy emanating a clear blue light, came from around him. Dragging a crystal like sword behind her, she seemed to be Kenpachi's own cheering section. "Show that ugly girl why she will always lose!"

Valerie flipped backwards several times, the land infront of her exploding barely a second after she had gracefully evaded, a large swath of land exploding upwards leaving a very visible and deep cut on the land. "Is that all you can do little lady? Even your friend the pilot did better!" Kenpachi enjoyed taunting Valerie incredibly it seemed, having the upperhand during all of the fight had brought this upon her.

Dissapearing from where he was, Valerie felt immediatly her movements restricted by the intense preassure that was apparent up close to him, his towering form standing right behind of her in the blink of an eye. "I bet the princess you so hate would do better too!"

Valeries rage at the taunt was cut off suddenly when a backhanded slam from his left hand sent her flying into the nearest pile of rubble that had started to populate the field. "Oh? What's wrong weaklegs? Did I hit a soft spot with just my words?" his laugh flooded the air around Valerie as she slowly got up, that laugh was going to follow her for the rest of her life if she didn't prove it wrong.

---

"Ohhh. Weaklegs has some fangs left?" Kenpachi mused with a grin, the fight had not turned out to be much of a challenge but at least the little lady was still getting up after each beating and that had to count for something.

The little fairy who looked tremendously like Lily floated nearby to Valerie's head, circling it like surveying the damage. "Ken-chan! She is cheating! She is repairing all the damage she has, it's not fair! That this heap of scrap has a chance to repair herself, such a lowlife ability!" the fairy batted her wings angrily as she turned her back on Valerie. "No wonder you keep being as useless as you are. Not even being able to fend for yourself, you disgusting trash."

Valeries lance came out like a flash, cutting the air aiming straight and true for the fairy, and it almost cracked when it met the resistance of Zaraki's sword. Looking down on her, he just grinned. "Lets make sure the little beast is defanged and declawed for good."

Valerie coughed out blood, one of her lungs had failed already and had barely been repaired so far, the taste of blood coming from innumerable small cuts inside of her mouth. Cleaning the outisde of her lips from any blood, she used the SdZ to stay up.

Kenpachi Zaraki and his little companion the fairy Yachiru made no immediate movement, Kenpachi had a bored face and Yachiru had constantly been attacking Valerie, while Kenpachi's blows usually shattered her defenses and stance, most usually landing her in a crater.

Some of the blood had clouded her vision, the red tint covering most of the view infront of her, she could only follow Kenpachi by the sound of the bells in his hair, and the horrible twisted feeling that his presence unleashed, and the more they fought the stronger the feeling became.

"What you looking at doll? You don't seem to have any bite left on you, is it time already I should finish you off? Finishing half dead opponents is not my style, but it's not like you have anything left to live for do you? I mean, if he really worried about you he would be here protecting you, not outside having fun with his little princess." Kenpachi laughed at Valerie, that horrible vile laugh that seemed to permate the air and linger after the sound was out. "Do you want me to take your battery out? So you won't have to suffer this anymore?"

Valerie held the SdZ infront of herself, the energy being drained from the holographic training machine making her tremble as the pink energy flooded the space, Kenpachi looked back at Valerie, not even surprised. "Yachiru, get behind this one is too much for you."

As the Fairy flew behind Kenpachi, the man extended his hand infront of himself and smiled. "GIVE ME YOUR BEST SHOT ORPHAN! IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE GOOD ENOUGH ANYWAY!"

-----

The starlight breaker, as it's english name went, was at it's core a laser beam empowered by harnessed ambient magical energy into a cohesent beam, it usually packed enough power to damage mass production power suits and mechs, with the correct conditions it could pierce energy fields and armored walls through sheer blunt force and the energy emissions were always high end on the scales, high end enough to qualify as artillery class weapon on naval battles and even among the satoshi spaceships, it has before blown away shieldings and obstacles, but this time around the monstruos power harnessed by Mr. and Mrs. de Quevedo had failed their daughter, as the monstruos being infront of her, Kenpachi Zaraki, was pushing it back one handed, walking slowly towards Valerie as the energy parted around him and great tracts of land were being ravished by it.

As he stood infront of her with the massive energy waves burning away at his coat and turning his eyepatch to ashes, he closed his hand over the edge of the SdZ, effectivly breaking off the edge from the rest of the form and silencing the spell. "Like I said weakling, even your best shot is not good enough"

Turning to look at her he smirked "Hell, from the look of your dependance on this thing, it's never going to be good enough. Real warriors don't depend on trinkets and don't hold onto the past like you do." with that said, the hand he had used to stop the Starlight Breaker was now holding onto the shaft of the spear and exerting a minimum amount of strenght he bent it out of shape between Valerie's hand, bringing his sword hand up he slashed downwards across Valerie from shoulder to hip, and as some blood came out from the cut, so did sparks and circuitry, and along with parts of her clothing the pendant that had been given to her in Ikaris was sent flying too.

"You see? You are as real as I'm Valerie, or did you truly believe your parents when they told you you were real? Do you TRULY remember your childhood?" He brought to her temple, tapping it with the edge impatiently. "Do you know for sure that the memories in here are true? If I kill you right now, were you ever alive to begin with?" Kenpachi brought his foot down hard on top of Valerie's right hand and heard a satisfactory crunch of metal and plastic "Were you ever a real person? Were you ever born before you were fourteen and the fabled accident happened? or where you created by your parents as a replacement for an older daugther? one that never existed? and what the hell have you been mumbling all this time?"

As Kenpachi grabbed on to Valerie's head with one of his enormous rocky hands, Valerie extended her one unbroken hand and pointed the palm at Kenpachi, while softly finishing the incantation she had pained herself through. dragonslave

The situation was not the best, using a single hand, standing between life and death and having the target so close together with her shouted at her mind that this was a bad idea, but this was the only resort she had left, she was good as dead if she didn't pull it off.

The normally uncontrollable ray of death pulsed uncontrollably from Valerie's arm as the energy hit Kenpachi fully at point blank range, the equivalent of a mini supernova going off right infront of him and both their images dissapeared inside a globe of light that every second pulsed bigger and bigger before it exploded reveling the scorched land, the smoking column, the unsettled dust and the complete form of Zaraki Kenpachi still holding into Valerie. His coat completely burned off and his skin signed, and his body marked with cuts and bruises.

"HA! You almost made me hurt, toy!" Bringing Val's head to a sudden acceleration it was interrupted with his forehead coliding into her's "So this was truly your best? YOUR BEST IS NOTHING!" kneeing her in the gut, Valerie coughed up blood onto him. "Even the blood smells fake, and you still wonder why he didn't pick you, nobody would. Who would want to spend his life with a girl who would never mature, never grow and would never be able to bear child? You are useless! Go to the grave knowing that you will never get what you want!" Throwing her high into the air, Kenpachi jumped behind her bearing his sword and creating a long arc behind him as he preapred himself to finish off this futile battle.

From nowhere, seemingly carried by the winds, small cherry petals wafted acorss the plain. Her vision fading, Valerie could barely see it, but then heard his words.

THAT IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

"You insult her, beat her, and say she isn't worthy, trying to speak for me. You think to know what is in my mind, in my HEART? You know NOTHING!"

BANKAI!!! Scatter, Senbonzakura Kageyoshi.

He holds out the sword and then inverts it, so that the tip is pointing down and releases the sword. The sword vanishes straight into the ground as if he'd dropped it into a pool of water. The ripples travel throughout the area. The sky begins to darken and all of the world seems to fall away. On each side of him a blade appears, rising slowly, each further pair followed by another in a seemingly endless supply. Each sword blade is like a thirty foot pillar of steel, and he looks up, his gaze a mask of rage as the blades shatter into countless smaller blades. Then in an instant swords began reforming in a hemisphere around them blotting out the sun as the blades began spinning. "I only show this to someone who's so wronged me that I swear to kill them with my own hands."

He holds out his hands and immediately two swords fly to them, and he launches into a vicious series of attacks against Kenpachi.

The two of them fight hard, Valerie only able to watch as Kai fights with all his power, a veritable demon unleashed. "You call her unworthy,nothing... Valerie is all the family I have left!"

Kenpachi backhanded him across the ground, Kai rolled and ended up on his feet, swords drawn. "You don't really love her though do you Kai. Not like she loves you." It caused Kai to hesitate for a fraction of a second. In that moment, Kenpachi impaled him straight through the left side of his body and withdrew his sword. Kai pitched forward, coughing up a great deal of blood.

"See Boy, you aren't strong enough." He looks over at Valerie, lying on the ground and smiles. Kai's left hand sword shoots up , slashing Kenpachi across the lower chest. You don't know my heart, Kenpachi. I do love Valerie."

Completely noplussed by the attack, Kenpachi rains down a dozen blows with his massive fists all over Kai's body, pummelling the young skeleton Key into unconsciousness. He looks up from it, looking like some crazed demon, Kai's blood dripping from his fists. He raises one to his mouth and licks the blood. "What do you know, He wasn't lying. He does love you, well did love you." his words devolve into a maniacal laughter, as once again Kai falls protecting her.

Valerie was enraged, something inside of her broke when she saw Kai being felled by the monstrous Kenpachi, her eyes filled to the brim with tears she was unable to contain her own rage, a great sound like static could be heard, as the holographic terrain started to get fuzzy, the colors became distorted as slowly pieces of the sky and ground started to go completely black.

Kenpachi, Kai and Valerie was all that reminded in a black void, the sound of static energy going all through the interface and an alarm started to sound, alerts came up in the middle of the air warning about a failure of containment and energy flux, Valerie's form floated into the air, covered in translucent energy.

"Kenpachi Zaraki, you have gone beyond what you were created for, you have injured Kai, the Skeleton Key of this reality, but more importantly you injured Kai, the person I love the most. You, who were granted artificial sentience, have committed a crime I deem unforgivable and WILL pay for it!" Valerie's form shined with a pale blue light, as her eyes emitted a green glow, emerald light as if back lighted.

Her blue form was quickly covered up with schematic like blue prints that hovered millimeters over her skin expanding many times over as her blue form elongated into a thin framework within the blue prints, each blue print became superimposed by a new one, over and over, creating several different layers of schematics, and one by one starting by the ones closest to Valerie pieces of machinery started to be produced from within Valerie or rightly from thin air as a new form emerged and was created.

Softly and with the strain of a cold rage, the pieces of Val that were scattered across the void flew right back to her, the Stock and Pendant turned into pure energy from where they laid broken and fused with Valerie, words came from Valerie's form without any actual movement. "Bankai."

The released energy covered Valerie's new form as it emerged, the size of a piloted mecha now, armored from the neck down with a long mane of silvery white hair. White mech armor with pink tints covered her from neck to toe, as her face remained uncovered albeit many times larger. Shoulder pads with the form of the SdZ spearhead appeared on top of the armor, as an exposed crystal core rested in the middle of her breastplate. Finally, titanic bow appeared within her hands, taller than even her Mecha form, it seemed too unwieldy for her, but Valerie held onto it with out much trouble, her archery expertise showing.

"All of your twisted hate and rage, I will put an end to them now Zaraki Kenpachi, no longer will you hunt anyone again." knocking back the bow, an energy arrow appeared on it, the shoulder pads flew from their place and hovered besides the arrow, feeding it energy as they increased her own energy.

"Hunt, Artemisa!"

The arrowhead almost instantly dissapeared from the bow as it was knocked back, it´s shining being the only indication of it´s existance on the black void against which it was seen, a long line of energy streaked true as the spearheads that hovered around it contributed their own energy, rapidly circling the arrow it gave the energy a strong likeness to a drill, a giagiantic drill of energy bound for Kenpachi Zaraki. The monster man took it with his arms open.

"Give me your best shot now! It dosen´t matter, you know what I said is true and nothing will change that! NOTHING WILL MAKE HIM LOVE YOU! NOTHING WILL MAKE ANYONE TRULY LOVE YOU." Kenpachi laughed his mocking laugh for one last time as the arrow drilled through him and the energy disintegrated the remains, a great explosion of light illuminated Valerie and Kai, before returning their surroundings to the dark void that it was Valerie´s new suddenly found powers vanished as she approached Kai, both of them floating in the dark void with nothing arround them, battered, bloodied and in critical condition.

"You truly don´t understand how much I love you Kai." Valerie exrted her body into getting nearer to Kai, holding him close, trying to prevent any more bloodloss from his part. "One day, I had made up my mind to be alone, forever and then you came along, and treated me so well, you were so nice to me even if you didn´t knew me..." Valerie could feel the space around them shifting as they returned once again to the training room where she had started. Her eyes brimming with tears as she slowly sobbed into Kai´s chest, immediatly an alert went out callnig medical response teams to the training room.

Valerie pleased to the medical response team to save him, they told her they would do their best, they even had the flowers they brought back from Ikaris, he would be fine if they treated him in a rush. Valerie refused any treatment almost violently, as she followed Kai until the entrance of the infarmary, where not resisting any more, she fell down on her knees, and sobbed uncontrollably for her own incompetence and weakness.

Kai was rushed into the Emergency ward and everyone else was barred entry, Save Masane, who only got let in when Akina told them it was allow her in or she'd fight her way in, and later Akina herself.

Masane looked at Valerie, strangely, it wasn't a look of contempt, but a small amount of satisfaction. Akina of course asked what happened, but Val was largely distraught and not wanting to wait, Akina left to go be by Kai's side. She left later on, without sparing a glance for Valerie.

From there she went and found Lily.

"Princess Lily, you need to come with me, Now."

Akina found Lily in her room, trading time between playing with Ratheros and trying to clean things up. She looked over at her, surprised by the formality of the request, and the gravity of her face and demeanor.

"Akina...what's the matter?" She brushed a stray lock of her now-messy dyed-red hair out of her eyes and squinted slightly. "Go with you where?"

"To the Emergency medical ward. There was an accident in training, Kai was once again seriously injured." There's a nonchalance in her voice, even though Kai was all-important.

"Haven't gotten the full story yet, but I figured you would want to be there. Looks like he was with Valerie."

Lily stared at Akina for a second, her mouth falling open. Then she stepped forward, laid a hand on the older girl's shoulder...and they both vanished in a blaze of blue light.

...to reappear at the door to the emergency medical ward.

"Excuse me," the princess said thickly, and brushed past Akina to open the door and hurry into the ward, seeking out Kai at once!

It was easy to find Which room Kai was in, Valerie was outside the door, along with Masane. "The doctors say he'll be alright, he just needs to rest. seven broken ribs, fractures to everything else in his torso, a punctured lung, and a severe concussion. He's resting now, not asleep, but quiet, and the morphine has numbed him to the severity of the pain. We thought of calling down Raisho to help, but he won't get here till tomorrow, by which point the flowers will have done their job."

She looks at Valerie. "You were with him, What happened to my Master?" Her tone gave off the effect that she already knew what had transpired, and that she wasn't shoving her blade through Val's chest was a good sign. It also showed her irritation at having been left behind.

Akina followed Lily and caught Masane's words. "I am gonna put a collar on that boy, I swear to God. Not only will it always let us find him, but any time he goes off to do something stupid on his own it will give him a few volts for being an idiot."

It was hard to tell whether the young looking Captain was joking or not.

"Before anyone does ANYTHING to Kai I want to hear what happened," Lily says sharply to Akina. With that she whirls to look at Valerie, clearly very worried for Kai, and very angry.

"What happened in there, Valerie? Some kind of failure on the safety programs? How did he get -hurt- in a -simulated- training exercise?"

"What are you even talking about?" Valerie knew inside her that this was all of her fault, that Kai would have never jumped in if it hadn't been her and that Kenpachi going wild was due to her faulty programming, but an accusation by Lily to the effect was something she was not expecting.

"Have you ever been in those machines Princess? There is nothing simulated about them!" Valerie was still crying, as tear fell down her face "I would be dead if it wasn't for Kai. The training program was not only without a limiter, it also lacked safety precautions for a realistic training exercise, I had never intended for Kai to go inside of it, it was supposed to be a single person training regiment."

Valerie hanged her head, the tears falling down on her shoes. "But Kai came in, and the training program considered him a threat and decided on him as a target instead of me." Valerie fell silent after the statement, the tears still flowing down her face as she silently awaited judgement.

"The training machine HAS limiters and safety precautions unless they're turned off!" Lily rants. "And if Kai went in after you it must have been because..."

Here she ground to a halt, realizing what might have gotten Kai to go in.

"Valerie, what were you doing in there alone with the limiters off? He wouldn't have gone in unless it looked like you were in real danger."

"I was training! Kai felt I was in danger and went for me, I never intended for him to do so!" Valerie cleaned the tears from her eyes, the amount of tears on her clothing becoming very evident now. "It's just that the Kenpac-" Valerie almost bit her tounge with how fast she stopped her mouth. "T-The training program I used was a high level one, I want to be stronger to be able to be helpful."

"Well how helpful will you be if you're dead, Valerie?" Lily demands. But the obvious pain and grief in Valerie's tone and face were defusing her anger, which was born out of fear and concern to begin with.

"I know how you feel...wanting to be stronger. It feels like we're up against impossible odds, and we can't ever be good enough to beat them. But there's such a thing as pushing yourself too hard, too fast...and sometimes it's not just your own life you can put at risk."

She takes a deep breath and tries to calm down.

"Lets go in to see him."

Akina nods, and Masane Opens the door. "Alright, be quiet though, he's resting."

Kai was on the bed, his upper torso wrapped in gause and his shoulders and neck a dark purple from the beating he'd been given. He wasn't conscious, and the air smelled of antiseptic and a strong mint odor from the ground-up flowers. Anurse from CRT Four looked at them, Saw Akina in back and still stood her ground. "He has a concussion, and was already unconscious when we found him. He has six broken ribs, a deflated Lung which we have reinflated, and contusions cover his entire stomach and chest. He needs his rest, and even with Captain Nanamura here, I will remove you from the room if you get to rowdy. He needs his rest, even with the flowers. It takes time for them to heal a body."

Lily went to Kai's side and gently put her hand on his forehead...the only place on his body she felt she could touch him without hurting him. She let out her breath in a slow pained 'hhhh' sound, as if trying to share his agonies.

"Oh, Kai," she says softly.

Valerie stayed behind Lily at all times, she didn't dared to approach Kai's bed, since most of this was her fault. She was just happy to see him out of critical situation, she held back her tears and remained silent on the room, just overseeing them.

Akina looked at them. "Dammit Kai. When willyou realize you're just a normal young man? YOu aren't like the rest of us. You're too valueable to risk yourself so recklessly. If you Die then Takashi will win. You're The only one who can find him now. I've come too far, across too much for him to win."

She looks to Masane. "You knew what he was doing. Why didn't you stop him?"

Masane looks to Akina with a calm gazed for such an accusation. "I knew yes, but It was not my place to intervene, He is my MASTER after all Akina. The bond we share is stronger than virtually any other. By the time I realized how far in over his head he was, I couldn't get into the room short of him using the Command Mantra, which he pretty much refuses to acknowledge he even has."

Akina is Shocked. "How many?"

"The Full complement Akina, as should be between consenting Amaha."

Akina looks somewhat worried. She looks to the others. "This is so insane. A Key who won't use his power, A Master who will not Command his Servant..." She looks to Lily and then to Valerie. "And two friends and comrades who care about you enough to manifest Bankai to Avenge or save you. This is so insane."

"It's not insane," Lily says heavily, looking up at Akina. "All those things are related. It's because Kai is the sort of person who avoids power and doesn't abuse it that he earns our respect."

She stands up and takes a deep breath, clearly trying to calm herself.

"He'll be all right? When will he wake up?"

"Tomorrow most likely. He'll wake up fine and healthy, with a slight headache most likely." Akina chuckles. "He's kinda indestructible in a way. He died, yet you all brought him back. He's got enough reserves to survive Attacks a normal man would crumple to dust under. He's got more Mana than I do. That's probably the only reason he survived both of your spells that first time."

Valerie was utterly happy and relieved when it was said that Kai was going to wake up fine the following day, she took this as her moment to leave the scene, as she figured the girls in the room probably had plans for Kai.

Valerie left the hospital right away, and disappeared into the city that same day, taking with her nothing from her room.

---

Click to reveal..

OOC: If you guys want to continiue this, go on Val is out of this fic for now. =D Thanks.

Archived