Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 1: The end of the world as we know it

Joani

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
He watched as everyone exited the elevator and followed Ronnie. Everyone except Travis that is. To Travis he said, "Come on, spec op, we're going to need your input too. We're all going to have to work together to get everyone out safe and sound.

Travis didn't look at the older man, he considered not even replying but figured that would only incite further comment. "Ronnie knows what I would do, we're a team." He emphasized that word loudly enough for all to hear, and to say We come as a set, her and I. Travis hunkered down and inspected the locking mechanism on the lower access door. Special key or not if it was a physical lock he could figure out a way to open it.

Click to reveal..

Trying to figure out how to open the hatches.
Int (3) + Intrusion (2)
(14:47:46) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,8,9,6,4.

Result = 3 sux

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"Just go with the flow for now," she advises Adrian. "Unless you have a spaceship in your pocket we can ride home in."

The absurdity of the situation hit him just then. Adrian grinned and snapped back a quick reply (maybe not the best thought out, but well...)
"No, I'm just happy to see you."

He grinned a bit at his own joke and hoped Juno was grinning too. Go with the flow it would be. That meant following Travis and the woman with him, Ronnie, and that was okay. Just as long as he had a direction, he was good to go.

That matter settled, the young mutant let his shoulders relax and his body untense. Things he did before a fight to help him get his mind in the game.

Kevin, instead of going out with the rest of them, as he had planned to do, went in to investigate the suspicious activities of the apparently other half of their 'leader'. He hunkered down next to him, following his eyes and noticing the hatch and latch on the floor. His voice is calm and even as he replies. "That's just the thing, we all need to be a team here. Multiple factions would be worse than everybody going off their own way.

So, what'cha looking at?" and why is it interesting enough to keep you away from the group planning meeting? His tone as he finished was actually light and interested.

Sly looked at the people around him for the first time, really looked. He was surprised to see an aura around each, the only one he'd ever noticed it around before was Tom and he figured it was a mutant thing, but now he could see it around everyone. Well, everyone but Ronnie. Now that was really strange. His magician's mind started working on possibilities but he quickly put that thought aside when Travis declared that Ronnie knew what he could do.

"Yo, Trav. We can't very well act as a team if we don't all know what each other can do. Should we all go up and whisper our abilities in Ronnie's ear? That doesn't seem like a very useful plan to me. If we are gonna share then we are all going to share. Our lives depend on each other right now so put aside your trust issues and get on it!" He looked to Ronnie, "I'm a telepath by the way."

He also looked more closely at Travis to see if he could tell anything about him from the aura.

Click to reveal..
(14:35:34) ChatBot: (Sly_Fox) rolls 8d10 and gets 1,10,1,10,3,9,2,10.

Dropped Mega to avoid virus.

4 sux

Originally Posted By: Travis Kincaid
Travis hunkered down and inspected the locking mechanism on the lower access door. Special key or not if it was a physical lock he could figure out a way to open it.

Click to reveal..

Trying to figure out how to open the hatches.
Int (3) + Intrusion (2)
(14:47:46) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,8,9,6,4.

Result = 3 sux

The mechanism was purely mechanical in nature and it took only a few seconds for Travis to unlock it. With a heavy clank the hatch unlocked. Opening it he could see the elevator shaft leading downwards deeper than he could make out with his eyes. There were metal ladders worked into the walls on both sides of the shaft.

Children. I'm dealing with Children. Or Cats. "You've all seen what Travis does. He's trying to figure something out. He'll rely on me to make judgment calls about abilities because he missed this part. That's how it works."

She nodded, "Telepath, good." Meanwhile a chorus in her mind was screaming, Oh fuck!

Hey, can I pick 'em or what? was Lena's cheerful rejoiner.

"Next, guys. Come on, we're burning time and let's roll through this." This is why I do small-team missions. Fuck!

"I'm bulletproof," in a somewhat exasperated voice. "That's what I do - bounce bullets off me when I'm shot. That's what I said the first time, it's the truth and I'm saying it again - that's all I do."

He looks to his sister,

"She's with me. She's still ... growing into her powers so they aren't reliable. Enough said."

His voice is calm and even as he replies. "That's just the thing, we all need to be a team here. Multiple factions would be worse than everybody going off their own way.

Travis grunted, "I'm with Ronnie, whatever team she's on I'm on. Whatever team I'm on she is on. It really is that simple, that's what partners do." Travis was talking out his ass, he couldn't remember any of it but he trusted Ronnie and she'd told him that was they it was. The words came out as easily and naturally as if he did remember however.

So, what'cha looking at?" and why is it interesting enough to keep you away from the group planning meeting? His tone as he finished was actually light and interested.
Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
The mechanism was purely mechanical in nature and it took only a few seconds for Travis to unlock it. With a heavy clank the hatch unlocked. Opening it he could see the elevator shaft leading downwards deeper than he could make out with his eyes. There were metal ladders worked into the walls on both sides of the shaft.

Travis stopped and looked at the older man for a short time. The sounds of the other conversation echoed down to them. "When we cut the power the elevator isn't going to work. I'm ensuring we'll have a way to move around this hunk of junk if we need to. Thinking ahead ... it's the tactical stuff. It's what I'm good at." I think.

Kevin nods to Travis. His tone is still light and questioning. "Ok, Mr. Tactical, answer me this. Once we cut the power, chances are this entire ship is going to be inoperable, correct? So what are we going to need to move around for? We port home with that lovely lady's help, or we're stuck here, right? Or am I missing something?"

There wasn't an ounce of sarcasm in his voice, just an honest question.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
He looks to his sister,
"She's with me. She's still ... growing into her powers so they aren't reliable. Enough said."

"Is she dangerous?" Ronnie asked, careful to sound cautious instead of 'kill the dangerous ones'. "Do they work without her permission? Or do they just not work sometimes?"

Travis smirked, "Well as you pointed out that might not work, we don't know for sure why her power thingy failed. Plus a powerless heap will be much easier to return to than a powered one. I told you I wanted answers. I may not be willing to risk civilian lives but if I can get back here when I'm more up to the task I damn well will." He looked up at the panel in the roof and popped it open with an effortless use of TK hidden under some fake muscling of the latch. Above the ladders and cables stretched into darkness. "Power goes out, he head up to the control room. If those robots are out of commission we could do some recon risk free before we run home. It's a little safer than storming in guns blazing though so it does have its drawbacks."

Kevin looked at Travis quizzically. "Return to... you're still assuming that we can get out without her portal and with no power. That's where I don't follow. Exactly how do you expect to get out, so that you can come back later, when you're rested? Also, what makes you think that taking out the power will power down those robots? Why would they be powered by the same thing and not have their own internal power? Thus taking out the main power would mean that we'd have, at least possibly, no lights, maybe no gravity, we'd have to force open the doors, and still have to fight the robots on the bridge.

What's the tactical situation then?" Kevin wasn't trying to be a downer, just trying to figure out where the heck these two people were coming from.

"I don't. But if shutting the power makes that woman feel better then maybe Ronnie and I can convince them to allow us a short time to gather more intelligence. Maybe the robots will be functional. If so we've lost nothing and risked less. If they are we can see what we can see. Safely. The lights ... yeah that might suck, but the doors will not be a problem, trust me. And like I said, we can always go back, rest, recover, and then ask our friend their to open up another portal or whatever that was back here." Travis had dropped any sense of sarcasm or joking from his voice. He was simply looking to put the advantage in their hands as much as was possible.

Originally Posted By: May Allman

"Is she dangerous?" Ronnie asked, careful to sound cautious instead of 'kill the dangerous ones'. "Do they work without her permission? Or do they just not work sometimes?"

Rebacca looked pale and confused. She was barely able to answer, "I don't feel so good...", her voice trailed off and she tried to get more support from her brother by leaning against him. Adrian felt how she slowly slipped and he had to lift her up else she would have fallen unconsciously to the floor. Rebecca felt oddly light in his arms and she looked more her age then she did when they were in Vegas.

"She's no danger to anyone," Adrian answers grim-lipped. He holds her tight to him. He wants to stare down Ronnie to make her stop questioning them, but instead feels his sister is in more need of his attention.

"We'll get out of here," he whispers to her. He punctuates that promise with a kiss to her forehead.

With her being so light, he contemplates picking her up, but discards that thought too. There is no telling what trouble might come up and he would need at least one hand free. Adrian hoped she could keep on her feet. If he had to carry her, he would, but he knew that would only compound their danger.

What if the others leave us behind because we can't keep up?

Another worthless thought. If they were left behind, they were left behind. They would survive this too.

Kevin started ticking things off on his fingers. "We know that we can't port home while the ship is powered, and we think that we can if it's unpowered.

We're fairly certian that we can't pilot or control this ship once it's unpowered, and think that we could if it is.

We think that there may be robots on this ship like the ones that captured us, and if they're here, we know that they are either at the bridge or where the other mutants are. However we know that we weren't guarded and should be able to safely assume that the others aren't.

We don't know if the robots are powered by the same source as the rest of the ship, so powering down the ship may or may not power them down as well.

We also know that only three of us have expressed any combat experience, and thus we're assuming the rest don't.

We's also fairly certian that only mutants are kidnapped, and thus everyone here should have some sort of ability, and we have no idea if any are registered or not. So we don't know most individual's capabilities.

Does that about cover it? Maybe we should go and share our plans and revelations with the rest of the group, huh?" His tone was still light, but he was obviously wanting to get back to the rest of the group, but unwilling to go alone.

"She's better not be," Ronnie said. "We don't need a problem like. You, goblin-guy (OOC: Joshua). Your mission is to carry her with your... things if there's a fight and she can't move on her own. We need Adrian free to protect the front lines."

She looked at the next person, waiting for them to speak.

Travis stared up into the darkness. Temptation pulled at him, Fly up there, rip open the doors, lay down a beating. Get the answers I need. ... or die. He scowled at the thought, at the simple and undeniable fact that he wasn't up to the task in his current state even if he would be normally. Finally he heaved a sigh, "Yeah, that's more or less what I got. I aint running blind into the dark, but I'm not one to discuss plans in a committee either, but fine, we'll play it your way for now. But here me right now. I will not pursue any course of action that is likely to get those people killed. They aren't soldiers, and just because they are mutants doesn't mean they don't have the right to a safe quiet and boring life."

Kevin nodded at Travis, acknowledging his point. He then headed towards the group, hoping that Travis would follow (and stopping if he doesn't). His tone, while still friendly, got some steel in it that he hadn't put in it before. "My main goal here is to get everyone home, alive, and with the possiblity of having a safe, quiet and boring life. That being said, if who did this is the guy that I think did this, and I have no reason to believe he isn't, none of us will have that chance until he's stopped. If Dr. Z is the one behind this, he's been kidnapping mutants, or trying to make his own mutants before we were common, since World War II. I have yet to see anything that makes me think it's not him, and everything seems to point that way, and if I know anything, I know he won't stop 'till he's gotten us all.

If you or Ronnie doesn't have the info we need, then we'll have to look in the bridge for it. And while these people aren't soldiers, they have powers, and they more than likely know how to use them; and as you've said, none of us are individually up to taking any of those robots. Together, however, we should be able to, if we have to. And believe me, I don't want to... yet..."

Reluctantly Travis closed the panel doors and latched them before exiting the elevator. The older man dropped a weighty bombshell as they walked back to the group. Travis absorbed it all without a word. Finally he pulled the older man to a stop just out of earshot of the others. "You'll need to talk to Ronnie. I wish I could remember what I needed to but ... but the last time the two of use faced off against these guys I got left behind. Presumed dead. I can't remember what happened. At all. Anything before three months ago is a blank slate. Whoever did this to me is going to pay when I find them, but I will not drag these people into it behind me."

Kevin nodded solemnly. His tone matched his nod, "You won't have to; someone else already has."

With that he turned and started back towards the group. His tone was better, but his head was still down and his step was slow. "I intend to talk to Ronnie, but we all have a right to all the info. Like it or not, combat training or not, we're all in this together. And more likely than not it will take all of us, working together, to get out of it."

This last was softer, mostly to himself but loud enough for Travis to overhear. "We're not on our own anymore..."

Juno stuck her hands in her back pockets and scowled. She didn't like talking about her powers. It'd been one of those things for her, growing up. The Reyes family's dirty little secret...well, not dirty, exactly. They'd never made her feel BAD about them. But they'd made it clear that talking about them or using them around other people would mean bad things. And even now, that sort of thing made a sort of psychic line that -could- be crossed, but that wasn't quite -comfortable- to cross.

"I change..." she said unwillingly. "When I need something, I grow it. It sort of happens on its own, but I can kind of..." Ugh. I sound like a retard. She shrugged. "...push it along sometimes."

"Oh but we are. Eight against the world. I don't know about you, but I don't care for those odds." Travis simply shook his head and increased his pace. As they rejoined the group he said cheerily, "Hey there guys and gals!" He gave an overly happy, and completely fake, grin before continuing, "Travis Kincaid. You can call me Travis, or TK, anything else and you get to find out my powers the painful and embarrassing way."

Tom says with some frustration, "I've already mentioned this a number of times, but nevermind. I'm Tom, I'm a singer and sound engineer by training, but my power is sound and Vibration control. I can do a couple of different attacks, and generate a forcefield like standing wave about myself."

Eight agianst the world; it's better than 1 agianst the world. And it's not agianst the world, yet; right now it's just eight versus Dr. Z and his minions...

After Travis introduced himself, Kevin put on a brave face and introduced himself. His voice was calm, but not very emotionative. "My name is Major-General Kevin Bridges, retired, and as I said before I can heal, project a forcefield, am myself bulletproof, and like her (OOC: Juno), I can adapt. Except with me it's only to the enviroments around me.

Ok, and just so that I know I've gotten everything straight, you (Sly) are a telepath, you, John (Adrian, said with a knowing smile) are bulletproof, and she's with you, but can't completely control her powers, but isn't dangerous. You (Juno) can adapt, and you, Tom, can do what you just said, all with sound. That a correct synopsis?"

He looked around to make sure that his recall and what he heard were correct.

Joshua looks at the others and shakes his head. Gee this what like the fifth time we've done this. These guys really don't listen very well. "We sound like a freaking broken record. How many times do we have to tell each other what we do. I can make little mini-me's. That good enough for you?"

Kevin looked to Joshua, his tone still emotionless. "Not everybody has been as forthcoming as you, and this is the first time that we've been able to do this in a structured manner, making sure we don't overlook anything that could save all of our lives later. So, as to whether that's good enough, it depends, is that all you can do? Oh, and a name would be nice as well, so we don't have to keep calling everybody 'hey you'."

Kevin looked to Ronnie, hoping that he hadn't stepped on her toes in responding and that she agreed with what he'd said.

Tim was grateful that the General had a good head on his shoulders even he didn't make Tim feel any better. "Thanks, Kevin. At least someone around here wants to examine our assets before heading into battle." Tim's voice dropped in volume. He makes a slight gesture towards Ronnie. "The boss seems to have all the answers, but wants to keep us in the dark. I don't trust her."

Tim was silent as they headed back to the Laboratory. Once ther, he took up a position near one of the opened tanks and watched the proceedings.

As the others revealed their abilities, Tim made mental notes on who had what. He noticed that Travis and Ronnie were not willing to reveal their powers, which was very telling and only added to his mistrust. Also, he thought he had recognized the two younger ones: they were the ones he had run into behind a McDonald's. He would speak to them later. Right now, he had to add his 'assets' to the mix.

Finally, Tim spoke again. "My name is Tim Wiley. Like the rest of you I am a mutant." He looked straight at Ronnie and TK. "I can copy any powers and abilities of another mutant. If I need to be a bulletproof soldier, I touch a mutant with those traits. I want to blast someone into a puddle of goo with sound, I simply copy those powers. In fact, I can copy all of your powers, individually, as needed for the situation. That includes things like firearms training, enhanced Strength and Stamina, and leadership abilities." Tim waited a moment for that to sink in. "I also remember anything I read and I read very quickly."

"Oh, and one other thing. If I need or want to, I can drain a mutant of the energy that fuels their powers. That energy transfers to me."

Tim shifted his focus to the General and nodded. "Now do you see why I wanted to find out what assets we have?"

Kevin responded to Tim. "Well Tim, I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd like to avoid a full-scale assault, especially in this state. However, the fact of the matter is that, sooner or later, we're going to have to confront whoever is behind this, or none of us are ever going to have any peace.

That being said, we're going to need some info before we all leave this heap, and it would be best if we could get it without a fight... but if we can't, things may get more difficult before they get better. But, if we pool our resources and work together as a team, then I have no doubt that we can do what needs to be done and all get back to our lives safely." His tone, at least towards the very end, was upbeat, positive, hopeful. And it was easy to see that he believed, completely, what he said, both about the difficulties ahead and that they could get back to their lives... at least eventually.

Leapin' Jesus - do these people not know how to do things quickly?

"As the General said," Ronnie sighed, as so much became clear. He seemed to have a stick up his ass because they implant one when you get the stars. At least he's got brass ones. "My goal is to avoid a fight as well. Which is why we're going through all the other possibilities before we fight."

She glanced at the next person. "Name, ability?"

"Wait a sec. I'd like to avoid a fight as well." Tim growled at the assinine assumption of Ronnie. "Going into combat scares the shit out of me and I'd like to avoid it if at all possible."

Tim was out of patience. These people were as maddening as his mom. "But what I am saying is that if combat comes- you won't have to worry about protecting me." I don't need a babysitter.

That voice.

Adrian stole a look back. Well, he looked all wet, but maybe, in the right lighting ... and he was a mutant.

It was Gilgamesh. It had to be. Adrian thought about calling his name, to be sure, but decided against it. Maybe that was a part if his life he wanted to keep hidden - just like he would rather people not know he was dumpster diving just a few months back. He turned his head forward and looked toward Travis (Ronnie being behind him).

Still, Gilgamesh was here now and mimiced people's powers. Who would he chose? Smart money was on Travis. He had revealed himself to be the most versitile mutant here so far. Of course, how much would that drain him? Would he be forced to drain some of us to keep going? Would the Plague set it?

Too much to think about. Keep my eyes forward and my attention focussed. Worry later.

Oh, and a name would be nice as well, so we don't have to keep calling everybody 'hey you'."

Joshua looks at Kevin. Sorry guy I'm not used to people calling em by my name. Which by the way is Joshua. As far as fighting goes, if we can avoid it that's fine. I'm not your average fighter but if things get tough I'm not afraid to throw down."

Ronnie ignored Tim. He clearly didn't understand that the term 'as well' meant that she was agreeing with that part of the General's statement. At this point, he was picking a fight, and she wasn't going to allow the mission to be derailed by a punk.

She waited for the next person to speak, just wanting to get through this so that they could get on to the next part: the sharing of information. And then, maybe someday, they could plan, execute said plan and get the fuck out of here.

Sly contemplated the situation. He hadn't had any formal education since he ditched the Catholic school the orphanage made him attend somewhere back in Junior high. Over the last three or four years however, he had watched a great deal of Discovery and science channel and had seen a show about human evolution and how Neanderthals were a failed branch of humanity and how scientists thought Mutants might be another new branch like Neanderthals. Sly was beginning to think that like the Neanderthals, Mutants were destined to become Darwin Award winners. They couldn't possibly survive as a species if they dithered and wasted time like this in the face of such clear and present danger.

He just hoped that Ronnie would get him out before the others killed themselves through diarrhea of the mouth. He kinda wanted the chance to pass on his genes eventually so that part of the new subspecies might survive, preferably a part o the species that could act and think as well as talk.

In the mean time he would wait quietly for salvation or for everything to go to hades.

While everyone else continues to prevaracate Tom starts to examine the room that they had been held in, taking care to keep out of the way of the moving hoses. He will start with the tanks they where held in - trying to work out what there purpose is, and if possible how they work.

Click to reveal..

(22:20:38) (Tom_Davies): right Per+Engineering = 6 dice

(22:20:46) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 6d10 and gets 6,9,8,6,2,4.

(22:20:57) (Tom_Davies): 2 sux

Meg dice M-Per 1

(22:23:49) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

(22:21:45) (Tom_Davies): Int+ Science = 5 dice

(22:21:52) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 5d10 and gets 4,5,1,5,4.

(22:22:06) (Tom_Davies): no sux

"My name is Major-General Kevin Bridges, retired, ...

"General? Why the hell did you wait 'till now to mention that tidbit? Nevermind, unimportant." Travis listened to the rest with a grim expression. Finally he saw things weren't going anywhere. "Listen. Unless people want to hang out and maybe see about getting coffee with our hosts I think we know that our best, and least dangerous, lead is in the lab below. Why don't we table the asinine discussion for now and go shut down the power to this hell hole?"

Tom looks around from the console he was examining, "Well I was hoping to find out a bit more about this equipment before we start fiddling with presumably similar equipment downstairs, but if you'd rather risk killing them trying to get them out, then let's go."

He straightens up and brushes the worst of the gunk he has had to examine things through off his hands onto a previously clean bit of console.

"I'm game." He was glad that they had paused and had their conversation. He looked over at Ronnie and felt that emotionally, she was a mixture of impatience and frustration. (ooc: if that's wrong, let me know). Now you know how I've been feeling. Tim knew that eventually he would have to make a peace offering. Right now, however, the lower lab was their best option.

Click to reveal.. (Rapport)
Wits+rapport= 8 die

(05:19:28) ChatBot: (Tim_Wiley) rolls 8d10 and gets 7,8,6,4,8,3,7,1.

4 sux

Archived