Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 1: The end of the world as we know it

Joani

Kevin watched as the portal shifted, his hopes of e-vac'ing dashed as Annalise fell unconcious in his arms.

Not knowing exactly what had happened, but suspecting the virus of being responsable, Kevin closed his eyes and concentrated, letting his healing energies flow into Annalise until she came around.

Click to reveal..
(( [bruised 0] || 12/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

I'm assuming he's just using one level of his power, (1/2 strength). If not, just edit him down to 10QP

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travis eyed the portal to nowhere and shrugged. Without a word he moved forward and scanning for an exit, another way up, or even just something that they could use to defend themselves without needing to resort to their abilities. God only knows if any of the others are combat capable besides Ronnie and I.

Click to reveal..

Awareness to look for the above

8 + 1 mega

(13:21:02) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 6,5,8,5,3,7,2,1.

(13:21:06) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

Result = 4 sux

What the hell was that?

Adrian wanted to aske, but they were making too much noise as it was. They need to be more quiet-like. To that end, Adrian began padding on his bare feet forward, keeping as close to Travis as he dared without the risk of bumping into him. He also kept his eyes peels for any sign that might look familiar, or deadly.

Click to reveal..

Stealth check (13:53:19) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 5,7,1,7,7,4,8,7 = 5 successes!

Awareness Check (13:53:35) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 10,6,8,10,5,6,2,3 = 3 successes.

Kevin slowly stopped the bleeding without any obvious application of medical skills. Physically she appeared ok but she was still unconscious. Her breathing was labored and irregular although he was sure he had stabilized her. Whatever was going on, Annalise was not doing well and it seemed beyond his ability. Maybe it was something mental?

In the meantime the other mutants slowly covered more area in the engine room. The whole place had an odd touch like out of a Jules Vernes book. Obviously the general noise of a humming reactor or whatever was causing the strange light was enough to obfuscate the mutants steady approach into the room.

To the left and the right are bullseyes like in a submarine showing blackness. Straight ahead something akin to a huge steam kettle is taking up most of the room. Several hoses from above and below end inside the kettle. The closer you get to it the more the room seems to vibrate.

Click to reveal..
Travis - you don't see any obvious signs for an exit. The voices get louder but are still unrecognisable. At least you're positive now that it's too males talking german. They seem to be arguing over something.

The noise was enough to cover even a clumsy oaf. Travis decided to throw caution to the wind and try and move close enough to listen in on the conversation. He allowed Adrian to catch up, "Kid, I'm going to see what our hosts are saying back in a second, don't let anybody do anything else stupid. We really don't need to be carrying people out of here." He gave the younger man a knock on the shoulder and pushed forward through the machinery trying to get close enough to hear what was being said clearly.

Click to reveal..

(14:31:41) (Travis_Kincaid): Stealth 8+1

(14:31:45) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 6,10,6,9,7,2,10,8.

Popped 10s

(14:31:52) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 2d10 and gets 3,4.

Mega

(14:31:56) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

Result = 5 sux

(14:32:11) (Travis_Kincaid): Awareness 8+1

(14:32:16) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 7,4,10,1,2,10,1,2.

Popped 10s

(14:32:21) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,5.

Mega

(14:32:26) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 6.

Result = 4 sux

Adrian nods his understanding. He holds up his fist to show everyone that there are enemy ahead and they need to stop. Hopefully they will also keep themselves quiet. The noise is lound in her, sure, but any moment it could silence and then were would they be. Maybe he was worrying too much?

Just in case people don't get it, Ronnie waves them to a stop when she sees Adrian's fist in the air. Damn, but I wish this were just Travis and I... And I wish I had my clothes. And my damn gear.

I wish you had your clothes, too, Celeste grumped. That dress was expensive.

Oh, well, too fucking bad, Ronnie thought, tugging quickly on the bodice to keep from coming out. Yeah, this sucks ass.

Travis concentrated briefly to listen into what the two engineers had to say.

<Voice 1 "It's too dangerous. No one knows how long we can keep the reactor running at this level.", Voice 2 "You heard the General - he gave an order we're not to protest it. It's not our job to question his orders.", Voice 1 "The whole fucking place will blow up. I don't want to risk my life on some instable mutant technology. Who knows how long they can maintain this level of energy? We're in the middle of nowhere, Karl!", Voice 2 "Shut up, Heinrich. I don't believe the General would risk such a thing. If you want to make sure everything is alright, why don't you check Lab 2 and see how the muties are doing?">

Click to reveal..
Language in Parantheses is german, of course

Travis makes a face. They were a good fifteen feet away, at best he could take one out but the other would have time to sound the alarm or attack him back. In his condition he wasn't willing to expend the energy needed to simply remove both men with his powers. He slowly withdrew and met back with Adrian and the others. "There are two engineers back there. From their conversation this complex or whatever is run off of mutant energy, being tapped or generated somehow below us in the second lab. I think we should try to disable these two and then investigate the other lab. If we can cut their power it should make our escape easier."

Travis looks at the others, "I can't spare the juice to take them at the same time. I need backup, who's good in a fight?"

Adrian gave a lopsided grin. This was insane. They were going to mess with a machine they knew nothing about.

What the hell, I don't have a better plan.

"I'm good in a fight," Adrian offers up instead of protests. "I can pummel one with my fists. We may want to check to see if someone can do something at range first."

He wasn't a tactical genius, but he wasn't dumn either.

Tim shrugs his shoulders, in negative affirmation, to Travis's request. While he had the energy to borrow someone's powers, he was not sure about letting them in, on his abilities just yet. It would be better if he stood back and watched the others work their magic on the two engineers. He did feel that Travis warranted a response. "I think I'll sit this one out." Tim really didn't have the juice, besides, he was not a particularly strong guy. For him, power was between the ears. "I'm lucky if I can knock a fly unconscious."

Tim wanted to listen to the conversation that the others were listening in on. He didn't entirely trust them. They spoke little to him and that made him uncomfortable.

Click to reveal..

Awareness Roll: 9d10 and gets [5], 2,7,9,2,3,1,4,5

2 sux

Tom raised his hand to get Travis' attention, "I think you were still out of it when I mentioned it earlier but I can do a ranged attack, but it's sonic based so I don;t know if it might raise the alarm. Having said that I haven't seen any cameras or anything so it might be ok."

Tom turns to the interupting guy with the goblins, "Can you do it from range or do we have to wait for your things to sneak in there?"

He turns back to Travis, "I'll do it I just felt you needed to be warned first. Now do you want him unconscious or dead, I can do either."

Consciousness returns and Annalise opens her eyes. She brushes away the stray strands of long white hair and frowns as she realizes she isn't where she wanted to be. "We definitely aren't in Vegas anymore... We aren't even on Earth. We're at least two hundred thousand kilometers away from it in fact."

She shakes as she stands, nausea rolling over her in waves. "Christ..."

"That was like looking into the event horizon of a black hole, and felt just like it too."

Ronnie snarled. "Look, this is the way we're going to do this," she snapped softly - somehow, she made her words crack without actually being loud. She must have long experience yelling at people softly. "Tom, Travis, hit 'em at range. You (OOC: Joshua) and me are going to rush them in a finishing move if it's needed. The rest of you... crap, there is no time to plan all this, especially if I don't know half of what you can do. If you fight, get out there and do it - just let Trav and Tom go first and soften them up. Otherwise, hang back behind shield-guy and get ready to run like fuck if needed. Got it?"

Tom nods to Ronnie and says to Travis "I guess we better sneak back to where we can hit them from, lead on."

He does his best to sneak along with Travis to a point where they have a line of sight and are within his range.

Click to reveal..

Stealth roll

(02:19:25) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 6d10 and gets [1],2,5,8,6,4.

1 sux

In all honesty, Kevin wasn't that that good in a fight... unless you needed some cover. And, from the way people were talking, people might.

Then agian, there was the information that Annalise had just given them all. The diameter of the earth was almost 13,000km, meaning that if she could teleport at least that far, then she could teleport straight through to the other side of the planet. The fact that she said 200,000km meant that they were over 150,000km away from the planet. The 'good' thing was that that meant that they could still be within the moons orbit... the bad thing was that that was a minimum. No telling where they were exactly.

That meant that if they got rid of the power... they'd be stranded out in space somewhere. To that end he wanted to make sure that Ronnie knew the situation. He ran up to her side and touched her arm, just enough to get her attention. His voice was quiet, hurried, and very concerned. "That girl who can open the portals, she just woke up and said that we're outside of her range, meaning that there's a possibility that we're no longer on the planet Earth. When you take those two guys out, make sure to not do any collateral damage, no telling how close we are to the outer hull. There may just be some anti-portal something keeping her from porting out, but it could also be that we're in the cold vaccum of outer space; so just be careful, ok? At least until we figure out where we're at..."

Travis scowled, it was in danger of becoming a permanent expression at this rate. "OK, you, Tom is it? Sonic attack eh? Just keep it narrow, focused, I only saw two guys but that doesn't mean there weren't more or that there's no other way for sound to alert our hosts. I'll understand if you can't bring yourself to kill these guys but at least make sure that they don't get a chance to act."

Travis nodded and led the four person attack squad deep into the engine room. Travis crouched and took aim, watching out of the corner of his eye as Tom did the same. Ronnie and the guy with the freaky pets hovered behind them, bouncing on their toes, waiting for the chance to dash in and clean up the mess. Travis reached out focused his power into a fist sized blast of kinetic energy, it would push a column of air and flesh clean through the man unless he was wearing armor or was a mutant himself, Travis doubted both of those exceptions highly. He tapped Tom on the shoulder, the signal to attack, and sent his deadly attack out toward the man on the right.

Click to reveal..

(08:00:46) (Travis_Kincaid): Stealth

(08:00:54) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 7d10 and gets 3,8,2,9,5,9,5.

(08:00:57) (Travis_Kincaid): mega

(08:01:00) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 1d10 and gets 7.

Result = 5 sux

(08:02:01) (Travis_Kincaid): Attack Lethal TK bolt dropping mega die to avoid virus

(08:02:09) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 8d10 and gets 3,7,6,2,2,10,8,2.

Result = 3 sux

Damage = [8] 8L + 2 from extra sux = [8] 10L

Hurt (-1) / QP 8/28 / WP 1/3

EM: Shield is active total soak is now 23/21 vs physical (11/9 vs energy)

On the signal from Travis Tom let loose a lethal body resonant scream focussed on the previously indicated target.

EM suite Lethal Blast, dropping M-Dex to avoid Virus = 7dice

(13:42:15) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,6,2,3,1,10,8.

3 sux

Base Damage [8]+6L, 3sux = [8]+8L

Karl and Heinrich never realized what hit them. Travis' kinetic punch hit Karl dead center on his chest like piston lifting him literally out of his boots and sending him flying a few feet backwards. The man was unconscious before he hit the floor.

Heinrich wasn't as lucky as his friend. The sonic vibration made his blood boil. A wordless scream was painted on his face just before he seemed to implode from the inside leaving a pool of blood where his boots were. The wet splashing noise of severla litres of blood hitting the floor heralded the end of this short conflict.

Travis rose and stuck a finger in his ear, wiggling about before pulling it out again. "Damn dude, had I know it was gonna be that loud I'd have simply rushed them. And also ... wow, nasty. What they hell kind of work are you in? Mob stuff?" Travis walked around the puddle of gore making sure to not look at the pulped skin, muscle and bones. He looked down at the other guy and set his mouth in a frown. He knew the others wouldn't see the faint rise and fall of the man's chest. The man would be dead in moments from the massive internal damage, and it was painless, he was out before he could feel the attack but Travis felt some twinge of remorse regardless.

After a moment he shucked the man out of his jumpsuit and boots and quickly donned the clothing over his own. He stood, "Well at least one of us looks a little less out of place. Let's get a move on, I don't want to find out the hard way if anybody heard that scream."

Ronnie studied the downed man, or what was left of him. She noted what it looked like, and memorized the carnage. Should she see this again, she'd know who to look for. "Good idea, Trav. Let's roll, kids. Travis, sneaky-kid - take the lead again."

She gave one last glance around the area to be sure they hadn't missed anything important before following her blond friend.

As the group went off to deal with the engineers, Kevin went back to check on Annalise, and to make sure that she could get back up on her feet.

Then he heard the 'scream', and shuddered. He didn't know about the morality of these people, but he suddenly wished that he'd made it known that non-lethal force was generally the best way go in situations like this. They had someone that spoke German, so they might've (and hopefully still could) get information out of these people. Just knowing where in the world, or solar system, they were would be a big step forward.

As such, Kevin rushed forward, making sure to stay out of the line of fire, in case the combat wasn't over. Then, seeing Travis in the uniform of the engineer, and a puddle of blood around an empty pair of boots, and rushed up to the one guy who was still whole.

Kevin checked the vitals of the guy the best that he could, and could easily tell that he was quickly expiring. His voice had more than a little disapproval in it as he looked at the two 'attackers'. "You didn't have to kill them; they could've given us some valuable intel. If you see anybody else, maybe you could just knock them out, huh?" His view expressed, he focused as much as he could and applied his full healing potential, to at least try and keep the guy from dying. His view expressed, he realized that the man was beyond all hope and moved between the group and the liquified man. Perchance he'd at least be able to shield them from the greusome and terrifying sight.

Click to reveal..
(( [bruised 0] || 12/28 QP || 6/6 WP ))

per 4 + med 4 = 8d10.hits(7) --> [[10,6],2,6,8,4,9,3,2] = 3sux

I'm assuming that Kevin can actually save the guy. He should be able to tell if he can or not. If the guy is beyond his ability, he'll simply not even try.

Joshua was speechless. He looked at the carnage around him and shudder a bit. Whoa, that was pretty fucking scary. I'm glad that wasn't me in their place.

He catches the Doc moving to check out the other guy "Don't waste your time with him Doc. He's not going to be a problem for us anymore" he says before he joins the others.

Sly walked into the room with some confidence. "Guys, you don't know me from jack, but I can sense people and these two were the only people on this ship besides us. At least they were the only two conscious people. Somewhere below decks I think there are two others that are sedated or asleep. I can try to lead you to them, but I'm no fighter and I don't want to be anywhere near bullets." He smiled at that last. Fighting was always something he tried to avoid or at worse get someone else to do for him.

Travis nodded, "Those would be the two that they seemed to think were powering this thing. Probably people like us." He stepped out into the open, away from the carnage, "If those were the only two other people though ... this could get ugly if we have to face more of those robot things."

Sly agreed, "Yeah, I can't sense robots so that's bad." He clapped Tom on the arm, "Didn't get a chance to say hello earlier, I was busy trying to figure out if there was anyone else on board and I was kinda focused. Good to see you though, and yeah, not sure what happened to my date, but someone else is wearing her dress." He shrugged. It was a mystery to be tackled at another date.

"Becca, don't look," Adrian calls back. The then keeps moving forward with Travis, being as quiet as he can. He sees the mutilated man, and wonders what kind of people he has gotten mixed up with. Couldn't they have rendered them unconcious and tied them up? Matching kidnapping to murder didn't sit right, even with his sister at risk.

He caught Sly's comment about the others, but looked to Ronnie for some kind of command decision. If they were prisoners like them, would she attempt a rescue - or was their escape the more pressing matter. It also remind Adrian that their assailants had been robots, not people. Maybe he should turn and ask him if he could sense robots as well, but there didn't seem to be the time.

Click to reveal..

(11:55:52) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 8d10 and gets 8,6,6,5,1,6,3,6 = 1success (must be distacted)

Tom was visibly shaken but stoic in the face of the results of his sonic blast. He replies to Travis while Travis gets into the engineers clothes, "No, I'm a sound engineer and novice singer, although the Mob has been on the recieving end the few times I've used it on people. Well I did make a point of warning you it was loud."

Tom shrugged at the doctors critism, "Sorry doc, the experts said to go for a kill. I'll use something more likely to leave them alive next time."

I'm not going to argue, let him blame me, if it comes down to him or any of the rest I know who to save. No longer bothering to move with stealth Travis headed back to the elevator. "There's two people in that other lab. If they are victims we're going to rescue them, if not ..." Travis smiled, it was the smile of a predator, malicious intent was as clear on his face. He looked at the others but avoided Ronnie's eyes, "We don't leave people behind if we can help them."

You fuck, Ronnie thought at the singer. Blame the leadership. No one said kill. Still, it wasn't worth arguing.

"We can hit the bridge, but it's likely to guarded by robots. If mutants are powering this thing, let's do as Trav suggests and get our ass down to the next lab and get them out of there. Maybe that will disable the robots.

"No one has to come," she said, "but if we split, it'll be Trav and me, because we'll get the job done, and the rest of you here," she said. There was no rancor as she added, "In and out and done - quick and clean. C'mon, Trav."

As she fell into step next to him, she muttered, "How many times do I have to apologize for Berlin, fucker?" Her tone was as playful as it was frustrated.

Kevin addressed Travis and Ronnie directly and more than a little sternly. "I heard what he said about the other two people, and if they are victims like we are, then I'm all for rescuing them. However we have to be smart about this. If those poor people really are powering this thing, then wouldn't it be best for us to figure out where we are before we shut down all the power? There is a possibility that we are in outerspace. If we shut down all the power, what then? We save those two for now, just so that we can all die later? If we're actually in the middle of an ocean and we cut off all the power, we might drift somewhere where we would be safe, but we might not. More information is needed before we do anything rash."

Originally Posted By: May Allman
As she fell into step next to him, she muttered, "How many times do I have to apologize for Berlin, fucker?" Her tone was as playful as it was frustrated.

Travis looked at her a look of mock innocence on his face, "Until you pay me back of course!" He stuck his tongue out quickly before he murmured, "Relax, that wasn't aimed at you dammit. These damn civvies need to grow a damn spine if they are going to get out of here alive."

"Why don't we go with you? We can all run fast if we need to. Otherwise we are waiting around for something to find us. That doesn't make much sense."

There, he had said his piece. He wasn't the one with the final say in the matter, but it was important that he be heard. Besides, waiting around sucked. Someone was likely to start something, or wander off, or do something that would put all their lives in danger.

That's how it always worked in the movies.

Archived