Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 5c: Fire in the Hole

Dawn OOC

"I'm sorry," Dr. Singh said after a long moment. He edged around the room and leaned against the counter. "I've seen mutations in humans who have survived the virus, but none so... drastic." His dark eyes finally left Walker's arms to meet his eyes, but only for a moment. He pulled up his clipboard, looking over it, but Walker could see that it was a stalling measure.

Finally he walked behind Walker and began the standard exam. The doctor seemed more or less recovered by the time he got to the non-standard parts. Clearing his throat, the doctor fumbled out a pen light and tested Walker's eyes before giving up and looking frustrated. "I hope you are in good health, sir, and remain so, because I do not have an idea of how I would treat you were you to become sick or injured."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Background Music

Ira and Cassie were entwined on the make-shift bed basking in the euphoria of satiated desires and a good physical workout. Ira was looking at her half-closed eyes as he played with her hair, slowly combing it with his fingers, occasionally letting his hand trail past her hair and down her body before returning back to her head.

"Baby..?" Ira said, rousing Cassie from her content state. She opened her eyes slowly, as if reluctant to let go of the moment.

"I have a question... I think I know the answer to...and I'm not sure it really matters anymore, but...your name isn't---"

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
"Eehra, Cassandra." The doctor spoke and knocked softly.

Ira looked at the door, frowning at the interruption, "I guess its checkout time baby, sounds like housekeeping."

With one last quick kiss and a slow hand down her cheek, he hopped off the bed and quickly started getting dressed, sorting Cassandra's clothes from his and tossing her's on the table.

Once they were both clothed, Ira unlocked the door and proceeded out, holding his shoes and a stack of sheets in front of him. He was surprised at first at all the people, then turned the deep shade of red that is only accompanied with a, 'oh shit you heard that.'

Least they didn't boo.

Cassandra attempted to disappear behind him, and he didn't blame her, as they quickly moved into their room.

Ira gave a once over at the new arrivals and couldn't help but wonder what exactly Fox had going on here, was this kind of traffic normal? Was he positing to set himself up a Warlord's territory? Deciding he was better off not knowing and keeping clear of it, Ira set about tying up the sheets he had snagged from the exam room on his way out as a privacy screen. It was far from perfect, but it at least granted them the illusion.

After he and Cassie were done putting up the panels, Ira opened his pack and pulled out the contents, setting his Zune aside as it fell out, he sorted a couple decks of cards, a travel chess set and a 9-in-1 travel board game set.

"Ah-ha." Ira said, picking up the multi-game set. "I'd forgotten all about this."

Cassandra looked at him with the same confused wonder and trust that she normally did, as she sat on the cot waiting for him to show her what the little colored box contained.

Ira popped the plastic box to reveal small zip-top baggies of various tokens as well as some folded pieces of cardboard that were probably the game settings. Ira pulled out one bag and held it out to her, "Scrabble baby, Scrabble."

Cassie grinned and nodded, and he set up the board. For a time, their situation faded into the background, hidden behind a screen of white cloth and distracting fun. Cassie might not be able to get the right words out, but she knew them, and was able to spell them. After a while, the audience was forgotten, and Ira was bold enough to ask softly, "So you said the voices called you Cassandra...is that really your name, baby?"

Cassandra paused, the game pieces she'd been spinning in her fingers freezing. After a moment, she shook her head.

"What is it?" Ira asked gently, his tone and expression making it clear he just wanted to know, to know her. After a long moment, she shrugged, looking upset. In what was becoming a mantra with her, Ira furrowed his brow and said, "I don't understand."

She thought for a moment, then brightened. "Tear up the rule book," she told him.

"Huh?" he asked, looking down at it. "Why?"

She shook her head and picked up the booklet, then made an elaborate show of tossing it away. As it landed on the floor, she began to dig in the bag of letters, and Ira wondered why she was cheating. Once he realized that she had asked to be allowed to cheat, he realized that she was trying to tell him something through the game. Puzzled, he watched her dig out letters and lay them out, taking a double and a triple point box as she did.

Finally, she sat back, leaving a new work on the board:

AUTISTIC

"I lived in a box," she said firmly, pointing to herself, "in another world."

Ira shook his head in amazement that he was so daft.

"You mean like Asberger's baby? How did things change? That book over there have something to do with it?" he said pointing at it.

He had gotten one answer, might as well shoot for broke. Still hadn't got that name though.

She shook her head when she said Aspergers. "I have a broken tongue, now," she said, shaking her head at the words that came out of her mouth. "Gagged before, by sickness. Now a different sickness gives me a broken tongue."

She stood up suddenly and stepped into the corner and sat down. "Once, I was sick alone, in another world," she said, looking a little angry. She drew a deep breath, and with clear effort, said, "I was blind to the world, that kind of autistic. The first thing I really remember clearly is a zombie biting me while my brother tried to save me. I don't remember my real name."

She looked tired, as if speaking so clearly had cost her something. "The Voices call me Cassandra, and they show me terrible things."

Ira moved over to Cassandra and sat down beside her, wrapping his arms around her as she laid her head on his shoulder.

"Well baby, if the Voices are so terrible, I say we own 'Cassandra' and make it positive." he looked at her in the eyes, trying to give a reassuring look. "Would you rather I call you Cass or Cassie instead?"

She shrugged indifference at the question, not seeming to care.

"Well then, how 'bout you just keep on being my sexy Baby? I'm getting a handle on your broken tongue, and I figure that makes you sorta stuck with me."

Ira shifted around so he was in front of her, sitting on his feet, his face shifting to a serious deadpan. "That also means you aren't allowed to be mopey Fair Lady, or I shall tickle thee!"

He dove in, faster than she could react, heading to all the known sensitive areas.

Cassie shrieked with laughter as Ira tickled her, but after a moment, she retaliated in kind, her small fingers poking his ribs and sides. The cot stood up for his tom-foolery for only a moment; then it tipped and dumped them to the floor. Ira found himself on his back, with His Lady pinning him without mercy.

"Come on!" someone shouted suddenly. "We're trying to sleep out here!"

As with most things, Walker bore the inspection with a stoicism that would have put an ancient Greek or Roman to shame, giving no indication of any self-consciousness or shame as the doctor examined his warped and alien form.

Though his arms were the most obvious change in his physical appearance, they really weren't that startling once a person became used to the fact that he had two more than normal. They were perfectly formed, and entirely functional - looking as though they absolutely belonged there - so the impact of them faded rapidly in the face of the more subtle, and yet more unsettling changes that had taken place in him.

After his arms, Walker's eyes were the second most obvious change in his appearance. Unlike his arms, however, they continued to startle and unsettle those who gazed into them long after the extra limbs had lost their impact. First was their solid color, with no sign of any whites or, for that matter, of any irises or corneas either. Second was that his eyes, upon closer examination, showed no signs of being moist like a normal human's eyes, appearing instead to be formed of dry gleaming black shells surrounding orbs of unknown composition. Third was that he almost never blinked, and frequently stared. These last two aspects of his eyes were subtle, difficult to pick up on without some degree of close inspection, but they were undoubtedly the most unnerving aspects of them.

The final change in Walker was not was not, strictly speaking, even visible, though it was arguably the most unsettling thing about him. It could only be inferred by the way he moved, and the way he didn't move. Walker never moved without it being impossibly graceful and smooth, even delicate at times. But that grace was inhuman rather than superhuman, and implied further changes within him that were not immediately obvious when looking at him from without. He moved in odd bursts where a normal man would take more care and move more slowly, and he moved languidly, almost carelessly, where a normal man would have rushed things. His head sometimes cocked at odd angles while watching something, and his joints all seemed to have a range of motion that was just slightly off from the norm (though, frustratingly, close inspection could not prove this).

Worst of all was the way he would simply freeze in place from time to time, leaving only the movements of his eyes and the odd cock of his head or shoulders to tell people that they were looking at a living creature. During these times he frequently stopped breathing entirely, leaving him perfectly motionless - often for hours on end. In nature, the only creatures capable of such utter immobility were certain types of predatory insects and spiders, such as the funnel web spider and the praying mantis, and it was difficult not to compare this... man... to such strange and alien creatures. All the more so when his limb-count came to six...

Walker stared impassively into the beam of Dr. Singh's flashlight, and then looked back at the Doctor when he gave up the inspection. When he expressed his uncertainty that he could do anything if he were ever injured, Walker was at a loss for how to respond. That wasn't very doctorly talk. Still, he supposed it was only fair, all things considered.

Considering the Doctor's admission to be a sign that the inspection was over, Walker turned and began pulling his clothing back on. Over his shoulder, he croaked, "Don't worry, doctor. Don't get sick anymore. The definition of good health."

Shrugging on his oversized trenchcoat and not saying another word, he moved smoothly out of the inspection room and out into the darkness.

Ira stopped cold at the protest, suppressed laughter being kept at bay by tightly pressed lips. He did his best to bring a hand up to his face to give Cassandra the universal 'shh', but she had him fairly well pinned. He instead fell into another fit of quiet giggling as he vainly tried to get her off him.

After some struggling, and a little more cold-hearted tickling, Ira conceded the battle, leaning up best as he could to whisper in Cass's ear. "Ok baby, you win."

She lept up off of him, a look of profound satisfaction dancing across her face, as she nearly tripped over the downed cot in her excitment.

Ira righted the cot as he got up, a huge smile still on his face. "C'mon baby, we better get some rest, tomorrow's a big day." he whispered as he started undressing down to his underwear.

Her victory sufficiently celebrated, she started tearing off her own clothing, if a bit more awkwardly, it didn't look like she had done this too many times before.

After he finished undressing, he walked and turned the lamp down to a dull orange glow, reducing the sound to barely a hiss on his way to assist Cassie with her skirt.

Having helped as much as he could, (the underwear was her option) he cleaned up the games, stuffing them back in the bag and arranged the bed. He unwound the earbuds from the Zune and was watching it boot up as Cassandra crawled under the blankets, taking the inside.

"Hey baby, how 'bout some tunes?"

Cassie nodded, mostly bare as she curled up to him. Snuggling together, sharing the music, she gazed at him with happy, relaxed eyes, their purple color barely discernable in the dim light. "I am in heaven," she murmured to him before she gave him a final kiss goodnight.

Before he crawled into bed, he looked up at the door.

Lot's of Rambo's here...no weapons...eh, better safe than sorry.

Having come to a decision, he walked over and locked the kennel door, it would at least slow anyone down trying to get at them. He didn't exactly trust this place yet.

Ira slid under the sheets with Cassie, sticking his half of the music in his ear as he curled up with her. Wallflowers - "God Don't Make Lonely Girls" had just started.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
"I am in heaven," she murmured to him before she gave him a final kiss goodnight.

Whether it was her 'broken tongue' or not, Ira didn't care, his sentiments were the same.

"Me too baby, me too." he said, returning the kiss.

Ira felt Cassie's breathing slow and even out as he stared at the ceiling, one arm under and around her as she snuggled into him, the other behind his head propping it up. He was dreading sleep, fearing that this was all a dream, and when he woke up, he would be back in his Nova in the middle of the desert, pointing the Citori out the window at a zombie Cassandra, and not the girl he found.

As Sugar Ray's "Gone Out The Window" plays, he slowly drifted off, no longer able to fight his body's habit of sleeping.

Click to reveal.. (Nightmare)
I look up to the sky, a deep blood-red sky. And the sun is black, releasing a strange glow instead of normal light. There are black clouds swirling in the sky. The city behind me is full of agonizing screams and loud gunshots can continually be heard in the distance.

But, I'm not in the city any more; I'm in a field, running from the rain. Rain that is like pure acid, acid that can kill mercilessly. A little girl of no more than five years of age is with me. She has blond hair and strange glowing purple eyes. I do not know her name nor have I ever seen her before now, but I am trying to help her. She is so small and innocent. We are, both of us, in this field that is occupied by a mass of dead bodies. There is only an occasional patch of dry brown dirt amid the slushy and mostly red mud, red from being saturated with blood. Dead bodies lie in heaping mounds and completely surround us. We are running endlessly over the decaying corpses.

The little girl then trips and the force of the fall rips her hand away from mine. I want to stop to help her, but the acid rain, it's so close! There is nothing to be done but hope her death is a quick one. Unfortunately, it is not! I turn and call to her to keep moving! "Run baby! Crawl if you have to! Get out of the rain!" Too late... As she finally manages to stand, and with a wave of tears streaming down her virtuous face, the acidic drizzle covers her unprotected body. I know I should run, but I can't! I'm frozen! She lets out torturous screams of terror as the excruciating pain instantly overwhelms her tiny body. Her screaming is so harrowing and terrible! No one should ever have to suffer like that. I watch in horror as the bubbling acid eats relentlessly through her soft young flesh, blood pouring down her arms like a red waterfall. Her skin has all but disappeared, leaving only vulnerable muscle exposed against the downpour. Her bare skull is visible, and yet she continues to shriek in torment. I watch until her bones crumple and are finally gone all together.

The black cloud approaches and I turn to flee. "That fate will not befall me!" My body aches as I run... "How long have I been running? Where am I going? I don't know, but I hope I get there fast!" I can see a cave just ahead as well as a familiar face. A friend greets me at the cavern's entrance. He acts as though none of this bothered him. Maybe it didn't... He's smoking a cigarette. I go inside the cave, but he stays behind. He will not die. I know that, but I don't know why or how. The cave is dark and I seem to walk forever. Things too hideous to describe brush up against me as I walk.

I come to a cavernous room. There is a huge fire in the center of the room with many odd psychedelic colors bouncing off its damp grungy walls. Many horrific demons dance around the blazing fire in dizzying circles. I hide behind a boulder and sneak around to get a better look, but one of them hears my movement. The demon is colorful and short in stature, (only 3 feet). Even though the other demons are at least 10 feet tall, I somehow feel that the short one is the leader. He turns toward me and imparts a monstrous smile as he continues to perform his strange dance...and then I woke up.

2:00 a.m.

To Walker, the air was alive with soft noises: men breathing, guards milling around outside, the occasional report of a rifle that took out yet another undead monster. Within the building, he was keenly aware of the movements of the air: Wesson's fingers over the keyboard created currents; Henry's breathing was a shuddering cacophony of snores and snorts. The blond woman with the man in the last cage muttered about hope dying and steeds failing. He could hear Kiet attempting to pick her cuffs yet again, but she didn't have the tools she needed, and he let her occupy herself. Min whimpered until her grandfather reached out and stroked her hair, and then she fell silent again. He heard the man in the last cage wake suddenly; a nightmare, perhaps.

Ira moaned and jerked awake with a gasp. For a second, he didn't know where he was; then Cassie mumbled into his shoulder, something about hope. She became his anchor as he gripped her, bringing back the memories of the last few days. He lay there, swallowing hard and trying to not freak out, telling himself that it was alright, that Cassie was here and he wasn't alone anymore. He kissed her forehead and lay back, trying not to wake her up. Just because he was sure he couldn't sleep again soon didn't mean she had to be woken.

Wesson was working on his computer, using the small stylus to refine his notes. A small June bug, drawn by the light, smacked into his ear suddenly, violating his concentration. With a grunt, he jerked upright and swatted at it for a moment, trying not to wake up Min. He was partially successful; Min opened her eyes and stirred, but went back to sleep pretty quickly.

There was a moment of stillness and silence and Walker heard something hiss softly against the side of the building. It sounded like a fine rain striking the building.

A heartbeat later, all three men smelled the gasoline.

START OF ROUND ONE

Round 1, Initiative 25

Walker didn't hesitate; he was on his feet in a fractured instant, and he was moving. He had also vanished utterly - not that anyone had been looking to see it. If anyone had though, they'd have seen only an empty cage where Walker should have been.

He knew that everyone in the building was facing an immediate problem, but for him there was one problem even more immediate: he had no way of shouting out a warning to any of them. How to alert those still asleep to the danger they were in?

But Walker knew the answer almost before he'd finished thinking the question.

The cot inside of Walker's cage suddenly lifted into the air, and then it violently launched itself into - and then through - the wall of cheap tin and wood supports it was comprised of. The noise was horrendous as the thin metal tore and the wood splintered. The cot sailed right on through the wall without hardly slowing at all, finally coming to rest a dozen or so yards outside of the building.

Walker hadn't waited to see if his "alarm" worked or not, and had rushed out of the hole made by the cot with tremendous (and invisible) speed. Outside, everything was quickly going to hell. Men were spraying the quarantine building with gasoline using what looked like pesticide spray cans, and someone had left the front gates of the compound wide open! The undead could already be seen milling around just inside of them.

He'd deal with all of that later. Right now, he had a more pressing concern.

The oblivious would-be pyromaniac with the spray can never saw what hit him, but he sure felt it! Walker slammed his fist into the man's torso with all of his considerable strength, and then turned his attentions to the next threat.

Click to reveal..
Awareness: 8[1]: 6,4,7,4,9,1,2,7,[7]

Stealth: 10[1]: 4,9,1,7,4,2,2,7,4,6,[5]: 3

Invisibility: 5[1]: 9,4,2,6,8,[7]: 4+[3]=7

Throwing the cot: 6[1]+2 for Point Blank Range: 2,6,9,10,1,9,5,9,[6]: 4

Roll for Ambush: Victim's Awareness (5): 7,3,10,6,7: 3 vs. Walker's Stealth total: 10 - Net of 7 in Walker's favor.

Ambush Strike: 7[1]+7: 1,2,2,9,2,8,4,9,9,1,5,9,6,7,[3]: 6

Dmg to Wall: [10]+11-3soak=[7]+11: 7,4,8,2,7,1,2,6,6,10,7: 12B - the wall is toast

Dice Pool for Ambush Strike: [10]12: Carver will roll damage.

Inviz: 2qp

Other Power: 2qp

Multitasking: 1qp

QP Left: 21

[ROUND 1, INIT 25]

The meaty sound of Walker striking the man reverterated through the night. He tumbled like a rag doll through the air, careening over the upper edge of the fence and into a zombie. He was clearly dead, as the undead thing made no attempt to settle in and eat him, instead attempting to regain its feet.

[iNIT 17]

The crash was really loud, and Min was awake in an instant, her eyes flying to Wesson. He was just beginning to react, and she rushed to their door, out into the hall and for the exit-

Only to bounce off of it. Min pushed again, and realized it only opened an inch or so. Something was blocking it. "Out through the hole, the door is blocked!" she screamed.

[iNIT 15]

He was ready...

[iNIT 14]

Kiet surged to her feet and wound up her body into a perfect back kick. She struck the mesh in the door of her cage, trying to tear it from the frame.

Click to reveal..
Kiet's attack (WP spent, +1 diff): 1 sux

1d10=1, 1d10=9, 1d10=2, 1d10=4, 1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=6

Kiet's damage: 0 sux

1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=4

Her first kick did nothing. Her face betrayed no anger or fear as she set herself for another kick.

Cassie came awake quickly, her purple eyes wide. Though she couldn't see what was happening, she grabbed her clothes and started to get dressed. "Danger!" she shouted to Ira.

Click to reveal..
Wesson is next on 13.

Walker and the hole he made are on the East side of the building, near the northern edge. The door out - the one Min found to be blocked - is on the North side of the building.

Time, there was never enough time in a combat zone.He slid his computer into his bag.Thankful that his bad was made to last.He knew it wouldn't stop a bullet but it wouldn't just burst into flames. One he had that safe, he pulled Min to his side, he moved to the cage with the woman in it.

He would not let anyone die in a cage if he could stop it. Anger was in his eyes. These were monster. Attacking people with no cause. Fear and hate.Those were the problem. He ripped the cage door off, and not quit yelling but not really talking he spoke.

"We are getting out of here, and you two only have one job in this plan, and that is to stay alive. The only thing heroics will get you is dead, and I sure as hell don't want to be no fucking hero."

With that he moved to the hole.Keeping a look out for any danger.

Gas!

The tearing of metal pegged the adrenaline meter.

Ira was already getting out of bed when Cassandra jumped over him, diving for her clothes.

"Guess Fox isn't so friendly baby." he said, jumping off the cot. "Time for us to make tracks."

Ira quickly threw on his shirt and pants, and stuffed his feet in his shoes as the rest of the clothes went in the bag with the games and The Book. The Zune was haphazardly shoved in the back pocket of his pants, one earbud still hanging on his ear as he pushed Cassandra towards the sheet-covered cage door while she was still trying to pull her shirt over her head.

Click to reveal..
1 QP spent for quickness to get that all done in one round. Part is done on Ini 8. [27]

[ROUND 1, INIT 10]

"What the hell?" someone yelled around the other side of the building.

"Light it!" another voice called.

[iNIT 9]

Henry lead the way out of the hole, yelling for his buddies to hurry up. He's abandoned everything inside to escape.

[iNIT 8]

The flame began to crawl around the side of the building.

Click to reveal..
At this point, the flames have yet to really catch on anything other than the fuel. Characters must make a Dex+Athletics roll to avoid damage, which is currently 2 L.

[iNIT 7]

A few of the scientists began to push their way out of the building. Some are trying to grab things on their way, and are moving more slowly.

END OF ROUND ONE

Walker, taking stock of the situation, decided that he'd have to let the others fend for themselves for the time being. For now, that large open gate was starting to look very ominous - especially with the growing number of undead crowding into it.

Walker rushed over to the gate, making no attempt to be stealthy about it (beyond being invisible, that is), and - using his many arms - he started tossing every zombie that'd already made it through the gate out into the night. They all sailed out of sight and were gone in an instant. Walker knew that he probably hadn't "killed" any of the undead creatures, but he also didn't care - so long as he got those gates shut and they couldn't get back in, it didn't really matter, did it?

That done, he turned his attentions to the gate itself and slammed it shut in one swift motion. Then, it was back to the fray.

Click to reveal..
Actions: 5

Throw four zombies, using his mega-die to remove the difficulty penalty for the action.

#1: 7: 8,6,6,3,4,8,1: 2

#2: 7: 8,9,8,1,5,9,8: 5

#3: 6: 4,10,9,1,10,4: 3

#4: 6: 6,8,1,6,5,3: 1

Shutting the gate: automatic action (still count's as an action, though, so the dice penalties for the throws are modified by it)

Maint Powers: 2 rounds left on 'em.

1QP spent for Multitasking.

20 QP left

[ROUND 2, INIT 17]

"I have no problem with that," Min shouted to her grandfather as she bolted for the hole. Cringing, she jumped through the rising flames, biting back a yelp. Just outside, she stopped, and, stripping off her jacket, started to work at keeping the flames away from the door.

Click to reveal..
Min's 'attack' on the fire: 2 sux

1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=1, 1d10=3, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=5

She has successfully cleared the fire away from a 1 meter area around the door.

[iNIT 15]

He remained ready, watching as more people left the building...

[iNIT 14]

The rifle crack was loud, but by the time anyone heard it, it had already done its damage. As Kiet cleared the door, she stumbled and collapsed, the front of her dirty jacket turning red.

Click to reveal..
X-Factor #1 is preempting Kiet's actions.

X-Factor #1's attack: 3 sux

1d10=3, 1d10=5, 1d10=6, 1d10=5, 1d10=9, 1d10=6, 1d10=9, 1d10=2, 1d10=10

Damage roll: 6 sux

1d10=10, 1d10=2, 1d10=9, 1d10=7, 1d10=10, 1d10=7, 1d10=2, 1d10=10, 1d10=1, 1d10=2

Kiet is Incapicated. Unless treated, she'll die.

[iNIT 14]

"Black and white suns!" Cassie was shouting to Ira as they hurried for the door. Ahead of them was the old guy, and then the woman who had been imprisoned collapsed as a rifle shot rang out. Cassie stopped her head-long rush for the door, looking to Ira for guidance. Then she shook her head and gripped his hand tighter.

He looked down to Kiet, moving her would be bad, but leaving her there would be death. He looked to Min, wile pulling the wounded woman up over his shoulders. trying to the least amount of harm to her.

"Time to run to May"

As he dashed to his truck.He was not here to be a hero. He was here to rebuild, not to kill.He tried to make sure he was in the way of harm between himself and Min at all times or at least most of the time he could.

Ira maintained a sense of calm in the storm as Hell literally broke loose around them. Staying in the building was as sure as a death sentence. Knowing exactly how little time it took to reload, (hopefully a rifle) Ira raced to the make-shift exit, dragging Cassie behind him as Min still beat at the flames, the shock of the prisoner's death hardly registered yet on her face, even as her 'Gramps' picked the victim up.

Forget it, she's dead.

Ira burst from the exit, taking in the chaos he could see around him coolly. He knew roughly where the gunman could be based on where the girl had taken the shot. Dragging Cassandra with him as best he could while using himself as her shield, he ran to the north side of the building, partly because it was closer, partly because it would get them away from being backlit sooner, and finally, it was a reference point for these unfamiliar grounds in the night.

Need a fucking gun.

Click to reveal..
1 QP for Quickness [26] Assuming a slower rate of movement since he is keeping Cass with him. How much that affects me I'll leave to you.

[ROUND 2, INIT 10]

As Ira pushed Cassie around the side of the building, though she wasn't dallying at all; he could see that something had been used to block the door. He could also see a stranger running away from the building, dressed suspisciously in dark clothing. And there, in front of them, was a downed guard, and his rifle.

[iNIT 9]

Henry burst out into the night, looking for Walker, failing to see him, he turned toward their vehicles and began shouting for the scientists to fall back to them. [vehicles parked to the south of the building].

[iNIT 7]

Some of the scietists surged out of the building; the rest were almost there after grabbing that which they thought was worth risking their life.

[iNIT 6]

Singh had dashed back into the exam room; he was sick about losing the supplies there, but more than that, he couldn't leave without his bag. He'd managed to scrape it together from bits and pieces; he didn't want to go through that again!

Once he had it, he turned right around and headed for the door, noting that he was one of the last ones. He let the scientists go first, feeling the need to get them out of here.

END OF ROUND TWO

Round 3, Initiative 25

As Walker turned from the gate he'd just closed, he felt, more than heard, a bullet whiz through the air before taking down the Colonel. Spinning around, he both saw and felt the sniper as he moved along a roof further inside of the refuge proper. Feeling both extreme irritation over the potential loss of someone who he'd gone to a lot of (possibly useless) trouble simply to keep alive, as well as concern over the very obvious threat that such a man presented to the others down on the ground, Walker took off after the distant figure.

Click to reveal..
Walker will Sprint after the sniper, climbing up the sides of any building(s) necassary to get at him/her.

[ROUND 3, INIT 17]

Min broke away from Wesson to bend down by a guard; when she straightened, she was holding a rifle. Handling it professionally, she rejoined her grandfather, looking grim as she watched for danger.

[iNIT 15]

Joe ran along the roof, trying to get away from the scene. He'd shot the old slant broad, like he'd been told, and now he just had to get away. Shouldn't be too hard - he hadn't seen a single person notice him. Grinning and thinking of his reward, he was unaware that death was approaching.

[iNIT 14]

Cassie clung to Ira's side, running with surprising stealth next to him.

This was not the way to do things. This was the not place to be heroic, and he saw Min pick the gun he wanted to break it. Still if she was smart this time, it could be useful. He Carried the woman with all the care he could, and with all the speed he rared he ran to his truck, the back to get her to his medical supplies.

He was not really good at medical practice but he was smart enough to fake it.So if he didn't try to save her, who would?Running toward the truck, he would not let this woman die on his watch.

A song blared through the Zune as his mind jumped to new conclusions and told his body to move faster than he almost could consciously process. Ira immediately dropped and grabbed the rifle...

Not Fox...no getaway today.

Laying on his belly and using the downed guard as a stand, Ira sighted down on the retreating figure and slowly exhaled before squeezing the trigger and popping off a shot at the punk's leg. The rapport echoed across the grounds like an errant thunderclap.

Click to reveal..
1 QP for Quickness [25]

Rifle +2 Acc, Rear Attack +2 Acc, Called Shot to Leg +1 Diff

22:39:26) ChatBot: (Ira_Sagebrush) rolls 10d10 and gets 5,6,7,10,2,6,3,10,5,5. [3]

[ROUND 3, INIT 10]

The running man's leg exploded in a gush of red, and the runner stumbled and went down, cursing loudly. After a moment, he began to crawl away as fast as he could.

[iNIT 9]

Henry led the charge to the trucks, sliding under them in the wet, muddy ground. He shouted for his peers to join him as he hid and tried to get them to hide.

[iNIT 7]

Some of the scientists joined Henry; others hid in the back of the two trucks. More than a few wondered where Walker was in all of this...

[iNIT 6]

Singh hurried to the first guard he found and dropped next to him, checking him. Fortunately, he was alive, and Singh quickly found the tranq dart. At least they weren't randomly murdering anyone. Someone had been shot; he'd heard the gun. But who?

He was so glad he had his bag.

END OF ROUND THREE

Round 4, Initiative 25

When Walker needed to, he could move at tremendous speeds, and so catching up with the sniper was not especially difficult, despite needing to clamber up a few obstacles on the way to the fleeing man. In less than five seconds he was on the man, and one of his long arms lashed out at him from behind, striking him neatly and felling him like a tree.

Walker snatched up his victim in his lower arms, while taking the man's rifle in with the upper two. Then he turned and began making his way quickly (though more cautiously) back towards the quarantine area and his friends. He kepts the rifle at the ready, and was on the alert for any more threatst hat he might still be missing, but he was sincerely hoping that the only threat left at this point was the fire itself.

Click to reveal..
Split action: (penalties, -1, -2)

Action #1: Ambush attack: I don't know this guy's Awareness, so I'll let you roll for it. Since Walker was moving up behind the guy at a full sprint last round, I'm not going to give him an actual Stealth roll this round. He just has his Inviz successes to work with. Even if he fails the Ambush, he'll still make a Strike per the normal combat rules. Regardless, he'll only strike using his 10 auto-sux and no more. I'm assuming this will be enough to knock the man out, but I don't know the guy's Stamina, so I guess I'll find out.

Action #2: Held action. If the sniper doesn't go down with the first strike (i.e. if his Stamina is 5 or higher), then Walker will use this action to hit him again (using only 6 auto-sux this time), which will hopefully knock him out. Otherwise, he'll hold the action so that if/when he sees another threat, he can fire at them with the sniper's rifle.

Otherwise, he's going to start Running back towards the rest of the group.

Inviz: 2qp

Other Power: 2qp

16 QP Remaining

[ROUND 4, INIT 17]

Min ripped the doors open and clambered up into the truck. She almost reached for the woman, but remembering her grandfather's strength, she instead ran to the section of the truck with the medical gear. Folding down the table that served as an exam station, she stepped back to let Wesson bring the woman in.

[iNIT 14]

Cassie dropped next to Ira, her eyes wide as the gun retorted. She whimpered and plugged her ears, a little too late to protect them.

Click to reveal..
X-Factor #1 (the sniper) and Kiet are unable to act. Wesson is up again.

[ROUND 4, INIT 13 - posting for Wesson]

Wesson laid the wounded woman on the the table Min had folded out, looking to Min. This wasn't good. This woman most likely needed more than what he could do now. He ripped the woman's shirt off, jarring her body. He didn't know how much blood she had lost but it was a lot. He grabbed a towel to wipe as much blood off the wounded area as he could, and placed slight pressure on the wound.

"Min, is help coming or do I have to do something stupid to save her life?"

"I saw a doctor," Min said. "I'll find him." She ran off, leaving him alone, with the life of a woman in his hands.

Wesson turned back, drew a deep breath, and began to work to keep her alive. Her life had just faded when he secured the plastic bag over the bullet wound; only immediate CPR kept her alive - for now. He just wasn't sure what to do next. His first aid classes hadn't covered gaping chest wounds, beyond basic stablization.

Click to reveal..
Wesson's medicine roll (Diff 3): 3 sux - she doesn't die

1d10=1, 1d10=7, 1d10=8, 1d10=7, 1d10=6, 1d10=8, 1d10=2, 1d10=7

Ira quickly hopped up, helping Cassandra get to her feet after him.

"Hold this baby," he said, tossing her the backpack as he brought the rifle up and braced it as he ran towards the now wounded punk.

The distance was closed to the crawling man quickly who was stopped short as Ira stomped on the fresh wound and stuck the end of the rifle in his back. The resounding cry from the fallen coward was music to Ira's ears.

"You feel lucky punk? Well...do ya?"

Click to reveal..
1 QP spent for Quickness.

Trying not to let Cassandra fall behind, assuming she will run with him.

With shocking suddenness, it was done. There were shouts from the compound as the man Ira had pinned apparently didn't feel lucky, as he held up his hands in surrender. Cassie hovered by his side as Ira covered the man, not quite sure what to do other than wait for guards to arrive.

Singh was moving from guard to guard, checking on them, when Min almost fell over him. "Granddad needs you! That woman! She was shot!" Singh gulped and nodded, wondering how bad it was going to be.

It was bad. A lung was pierced and she was drowning by inches. Worse, she was losing a lot of blood, which she really needed. "Find me someone with O-negative blood, right now! And get me a nurse from the clinic!" he snapped at Wesson and Min. A second later, he found her dogtags. "O-negative or A-negative blood! Go!"

Walker came back to find the scientists helping and rearming the guards, just as a woman with copper skin came running up. "What happened?" she asked, and Henry took one look at her beauty and started babbling everything.

In a relatively short time, a water-truck was rolled up and the fire was being doused. The prisoners were secured in a building on the compound for later questioning. Things slowly returned to normal, but the quarantine had been completely shattered.

Kiet was moved to the clinic for more advanced care, though Singh looked grim regarding her chances.

And just when it looked like things might calm down, Ger trotted up to Jules. "Fox is back. He's asking for you."

Click to reveal..
This more or less cleans up 5c. If you have more to do, keep posting. I'll leave it open for a bit, but I'll be opening another Chapter for RP with everyone at Fox's. You can assume that the "copper-skinned woman" - being Jules, naturally - will direct you to a central building to meet with Fox, before she leaves. Ger himself will walk over anyone who wants to go with him.

If you don't want to meet Fox, let me know and I'll open another chapter for you.

Participants in 5c, have 6 xp.

Archived