Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 5b: The Trial

Dawn OOC

She flinched. "I wasn't thinking," she admitted. She sometimes forgot - wanted to forget - what he needed to eat. "I'll just get you something from stores and bring it to the dining room."

She walked away, sorry that she'd hurt him right after he'd come back. She went to the blood stores and got the stock, still berating herself. From there, she went to the dining room, stopping only in the kitchen to grab some tea for herself. If she could drink it; she wasn't sure if she could, in truth.

"Here," she said to him softly.

Jon grasped the bag of liquid plasma and as he did so he felt the hungry writhing with him, a feeling not unlike nausea. Not quite looking at her he took his metal canister from his bag and connected a tube from it to the bag siphoning the supply. It ws actually quite human, dressing up murder with clever names: beef instead of cow, pork instead of pig. Even though this blood was cloned and not murder, the predetory desire was still alive within him.

As he sipped from the retractable straw the metalic taste coated his tongue. He felt the warmed liquid slide down his esophagus to the hollow cavity of his body. There, twin alien maws reached up to meet the sanguine feast like blind chicks in a nest sucking from the pulpy craw of their mother...

"Ahem." He cleared the coating of blood and mucous sticking to his throat and attempted to change the subject away from the grisly pall of a mood that had just clouded over them.

"How's work going?"

Yeah Jon, you're a real Don Juan aren't you...

"Um... good," Maddie said, taking a sip of her tea. "I think I may have eliminated one of the viruses as the z-virus, but further tests are necessary. I also found another store of medicines, some painkillers." In between tests, they'd been systematically going through the complex's buildings, rifling through every drawer and cabinet, securing the items they'd need for long term survival. "It wasn't much - some doctor's Vidocin."

"Really?" Jon asked, making sure to clean his teeth off with his tngue before speaking. It didn't totally work although to the ignorant he would appear to have been drinking wine.

"That would suggest that the core retrovirus is acting in concert with the other strains. The one you isolated...were you able to identify it?"

Maddie sighed. "Not yet. I'm afraid that I slept a bit too much after you left," she admitted, her eyes downcast. She had been sleeping more lately, and she looked tired even after ten hours or so. "But I did start the tests to start the identification at 1500, so we'll have something in a few days. We might have something preliminary by the time you leave tomorrow."

"Yeah you sem kind of tired. You doing alright? You're probably going stir-crazy. Is...is there anything I can do for you?" Jon asked sincerely.

Inside he thought grimly that theirs was no fairy tale romance and that her beauty would never tame the beast. Still, he had come to care for her in a genuine way. She did her best to treat him normally, a small dignity with a huge effect and he would do everything he could to make her comfortable and happy.

Maddie shrugged. "I just need to stay motivated," she said, forcing a pretty smile. "We'll figure this virus thing out in time. And then we can rebuild."

He saw, for the first time, that she was losing hope. Her words were right, but there was no belief in them anymore. He took a look at her, a really good look, and saw the little signs of despair: her hair wasn't well-brushed - he'd thought it was just a wild look she was going for - her clothes were a bit stained and her smiles were empty now.

She was giving up on their hope.

Jon walked over to her and held her head in his hands, forcing her to look into his eyes. He held her there, searching them, seeing the fragility barely held at bay.

"Maddie, listen. You can't stay here. You need to be around people. Fox has already begun to rebuild and he seems to be a man of scruples. From what I have seen, many of the survivors are not so honorable. Why don't you stay there? We can set up a satellite lab and videoconference our work. Six months is a long time...I know."

"That isn't good enough," she insisted softly. "I... maybe I need a vacation. But I don't need to move away from here. That really limits what I can do. And anyway, it's a waste to set up another lab when we have all we need here.

"But talking to others... that might help, yes." She gave a little smile. "Besides, if I left, we'd have the same problem later, but with you needing people."

"There.." he said lighting up. "That was a real smile..."

He hugged her close.

"Alright. Well holidays aren't what they used to be but if anything could be considered a vacation resort these days its Fox's place."

"Now...enough talk of sad things. We are still alive and more than ever I have hope for humanity. Why don't you get something solid to eat and I am going to go brush my teeth. How does a hot shower and a backrub sound?"

He may not have been the ideal romeo, but he had his moments of charm and knew how to be the man when the moment called for it.

While Jon attended to his teeth - and tended a few other grooming issues best attended to in secret - Maddie had a small bite. It was probably smaller than Jon would have wanted, but he wasn't there to monitor her. She knew he worried about her; she wished that he'd spend his time worrying about himself, about his situation.

She wouldn't be around much longer for him to worry about anyway. She knew what was wrong with her; depression was such a simple word for the despair that drenched soul. She wasn't sure how long she could feel like this before she snapped, and Jon came home to an empty lab and a terrible mess.

After she'd washed her dishes, she went to their suite. Jon was waiting for her with the hot shower already going; she managed a smile. Her eyes roamed over his strange, yet familiar body; he smiled and opened the shower door. Steam rushed out into the room, wettening her skin with dewdrop kisses. She stripped out of her clothes and left them on the floor, stepping into the shower with him.

After the shower, and what followed the shower, Maddie rested against Jon. He didn't need to sleep, but he'd lie here, bored, so that she could sleep in his arms. She thought, at moments like this, that he must love her. There were moments she thought she loved him.

For now, in this world, it was enough.

Click to reveal..
Everyone in this one take 2 xp; Jon, take 3.

Archived