Aberrant: The Long March - Delta Earth: Building a Better Future

Andrew Murphy

1930, Andrew's secret lab, outside Topeka, Kansas

Andrew looked at Ulric and Joani across the small round table. It was polished steel with a single pedestal that blended into the floor seamlessly. His lab was vaguely reminiscent of Lorean but the old fashioned (for them) glass lab ware lent an anachronistic feel to the room. Andrew looked mildly ridiculous in his farmer getup complete with stains on his "overalls" that were probably nothing more than cosmetic embellishments.

He smiled, "So, we are, for all intents and purposes, stuck here to life out the rest of our unnatural lives. We know that in less than ten years one of the worst wars in the history of the earth will erupt and kill millions, we know that out of that will come a cold war and various smaller wars that will every day threaten to tear this world apart. And we know that we can change things for the better.

"I know that we have far fewer resources that the cabal did, but I also feel that we have one thing that is stronger than in our days as parts of the Cabal; we have a strong moral center, and a willingness to do things the right way."

Andrew smiles, "I've done my research in the past few months and I have verified that this world's Michael died as an infant, that Dr. Sir Hammersmith's machine worked for a few brief seconds before failing in an un-impressive pop of vacuum tubes. I can only assume that this world has been primed for our kind to emerge at some point, and once again we know that we need to be ready. We have the cure, and technology enough to gather all the resources we could ever need.

"This time however there will be no meddling with minds, no secret plots. We do everything out in the open, we let the people of this world embrace us or destroy themselves out of pure free will. If we fail, we can choose to stay behind in our mess or we can flee through the arctic facility."

Andrew offers the others his hands, "Will you join me in what I hope will be our last time through this period of history?"

Joani listened carefully how Andrew detailed his rough plans. She basically agreed with his ideas but still had to point out something that was important and integral for her.

“I appreciate what you want to do, Andrew. I really do. I will help you with all my heart but please keep in mind why you’ve decided to come with us. You wanted to have a normal life… as normal as it can get for you.”, she smiled a little at him and Andrew could tell that in the short time since they’ve arrived that Joani had mended incredibly. She was energetic as ever and her eyes had that sparkle she possessed way back when he met her the first time.

“Don’t lose that out of your focus – I won’t be Earths saviour. I can’t. I can only try to go ahead as a good example and help humanity with my abilities. Please don’t drag me into any political machinations or try to iconize me – I want to do this my way. I trust you and I will always be here to help.”

Joani reached out taking the offered hand and then pulled Andrew closer to her to embrace him. “I’m glad you came with us, Andrew.”, she whispered in his ear.

"Don't worry about me. These past few months have shown me that I'm not suited for retirement just yet. Besides, becoming a captain of industry will hardly require a great deal of effort on my part, between my knowledge and my clones. No I expect I shall lead an eventful life, but unlike the last time through I will need not fear for taint."

Pulling back Joani smiled at Andrew visibly relieved. “I thought so”, she winked at him.

“I suppose by the looks of this and the grin on your face that you already have outlined a rough plan. Please bear with me and keep it simple enough for me to follow. I can impossibly reach your level of intellect but I try my best.”, Joani crossed her arms in front her chest and waited for Andrew to share his thoughts while she kept a smile of good spirits. They were making progress – maybe just small steps but still progress and that was good.

Ulric waits a bit as his mind adjust to the information he is recieving.

"Joani, I would like to aquire quite a fortune. I think this time around I will operate openly - within limits. I don't think I'll advertise my otherworldly origins or the scope of abilities. No political office this time around, though I will miss the Unity Rallies," he shudders at the bitter taste of the word 'unity'.

"I'm open to what level of support I will be for you, my Love. We - Andrew and I - could establish bases all over the world to gather information and supply support to you, such as cover identities and money if needed."

"Subtly, we will create the largest series of corporations on the planet. We will be what the Aeon Society was supposed to be. When the UN needs help, we will be there, with the proper orgnization - and lack of corruption - to make a difference."

"I've been thinking this over, but I want your approval Joani."

Joani nodded thoughtfully. „I don’t know if I’m the one you should ask for approval. You need to know what you want and don’t want to do. All I can do is keep watch that we stay true to our ideals. We need to watch out for each other. I don’t want to get involved too much into the organisation as such. I will help without question but I won’t claim any affiliation. I want to trust and believe in humanity without forcing my views on it. If my example is not welcomed and rejected I will leave eventually.”, she walked closer to Ulric placing her hands on his chest.

“I trust you, my love. Completely. I saw what good you can do. I know your heart is untainted by lust for power or control and should you ever stray from your path – I’ll be there to take your hand and lead you back.”, she kissed him gently when she finished her sentence.

"I'm getting that we are all in agreement on our goal, our individual methods may vary somewhat, but that is hardly a concern, we all have out areas of expertise. While I do not wish to come forward with our origins I likewise do not wish to obfuscate our actions or intentions. Let our enemies come at us as they would we will be stronger for it."

Andrew sighs, "It will take us some time to gather our resources before we can intervene in affairs of the state and later the world but I believe that we can, through proper expansion of technology, mitigate some of the loss of life in the war. Medical technology for trauma and wound care, better more effective measures against toxic gas, skin grafts for burns and the like. I will not make weapons lest we simply exchange one war hungry power for another, but we can help to save lives on and off the battlefield. That is, I think, my first step."

"Then we are agreed. We'll all try to work to make the world a better place eventually, in our own ways. We won't work at cross purposes, but we can work together. We have a plan."

He smiled at the only two other novas in the world. Three people, making a difference. It was heady stuff and Ulric had little doubt he would look back on this moment with fondness.

Holding Joani close to him,

"Andrew, were are you going to start. I figure I will start in the commodities markets in Chicago, make my first fortune there and then move over to New York and invest in steel and ship-building. I think that shipping and port construction will be my window into the world."

He spreads his arms, "I'm going to start here. Topeka Kansas is going to be my base of operations. My lab is here and there will none to rival it for another fifty or more years. I figure I'll start working on trauma and first aid products. Stuff that can help save lives in the coming war. Wound glues, cauterizing powders or gels, etc. Once I've established a large enough base to the organization I'll unveil the holy grail of battlefield medicine; shelf stable universal donor blood. Of course in the meantime my clones will start their own businesses which I will merge later when the time is right. Energy generation, and alternate fuel motors, and fuel of course. Many of the things I did with the cabal were worth while, and will be once more."

"Fine then," Ulric smiles.

Turning to Joani,

"Now, how do we get you started? What city do you want to operate out of? How are you going to find the places were Joani can make a difference? Were do we really begin."

He held her hands and looked deeply into her eyes. It was fantastic to see that old fire there, that belief in herself and what she could do. It had torn his heart out to see that light snuffed out by callous forces. It reminded him of revenge, a poison that would stay in the back of his mind for centuries to come.

• 2 months later...

She smiled shyly at her husband answering his question, “First of all I need to finish College and get ‘used’ to having my parents around. I think it’s great that you decided to build your base here, Andrew – we should keep close to each other.”

Joani squeezed Ulric’s hands gently and was overwhelmed by the perspectives and opportunities she now saw. This time her life would make more sense to her – she wouldn’t be chasing ghosts of her past – she would make it count this time without regret or remorse.

“I had planned to move to New York once I’m finished with College but I’m open for other suggestions or preferences. Most important of all – I’ll take my time. There is no reason to hustle. Let us slow down, enjoy the moment and understand what the meaning of all this is. I never doubted there was a reason why this is all happening but I am still looking for an answer. I guess you mega-smarts are closer to answering that question than I. No matter what the answer is – I feel far better today than I did before we departed. I couldn’t have asked for more.”

She gave both men her warmest smile, “I’m glad you decided to come with me – I don’t know if I could’ve made it all on my own.”

Archived