Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 5a: Zealotry

Dawn OOC

When the two injured men were moved to the sled Gabrielle finally seemed to come out of her daze. She crawled past Caleb and the others, her instincts urging her to the side of the man she'd heard called Priest. Her fingers hovered just over the ruin of his skin, brushing against him as softly as possible. Her own skin seeming to take on pale golden white luminescence for several seconds before fading back to its natural perfection.

Click to reveal..

One QP spent, Priest is healed one lethal.

27 QP left.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Round 5, Init 14]

Primal snarled as he rounded the corner to find Bond standing just inside the room. The dark-skinned girl that had been with the raiders was wrestling two of them to the floor (and doing it quite well for someone who looked to be a slip of a thing, and the dude who'd introduced himself as Captain Morgan Fox (like fuckin' titles mattered anymore) was trying to draw a bead on someone in the crowd. As Primal started forwards, Bond let rip with the shotgun and, for a moment, the giant thought his partner had lost it. Then he saw the crowd falling over without spraying bits of themselves everywhere and realised the Brit had loaded his boomstick with something non-lethal. Non-lethal, that is, compared to the bullet that smacked into Elijah's chest. Primal let out a growl and started forwards again, mindful of the damn sheep that were still 'baa-ing' away around the smug asshole who would have killed them all. He roared in protest as Fox flew up over the crowd, took aim, and fired a burst down into one area. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Elijah was the recipient of those bullets.

Hell with it. Might as well make sure!

"Outta the damn way, you fuckin' morons!" Primal shoved his way through the crowd, plucking a burly man up and tossing him non-too gently into his fellows whilst sweeping two frantic would-be brides of Christ aside. There was a man directly in front of him now, bent over a form that smelled of blood and death. With a frustrated growl, Primal drew back his foot and planted it firmly in that pious posterior, launching the cultist over his fallen leader. One look at Elijah's remains was all the leonine behemoth needed.

"Aww fuck! Ya went and killed him ahead of me!" he roared, venting his frustration verbally, bloody talons flexing. The religious loonies still clinging to Elijah's body renewed their wails and prayers, cowed but not moving from around the man's body.

Priest went from a sense of deep satifaction that he had kept his word, to an even greater sense of relief that he was getting off the damn roof with all the explosives on it. That all changed when Violet grabbed him and tossed him on her shoulders like a small child.

Super Strong ... what? Nice Cleavage - I can see all the way down ... Owwwww!!! as his burnt, charred flesh impacted with her shoulder then she's trying to kill me ... and I can't even see that perfect ass with the damn cape in the way ... burkle ... owww

She laid him down, not too roughly and the sled began to lift off. Priest knew he was close to death now and regretted sincerely that he had a)not been there for his child and B) not kicked James to death (petty, I know). An Angel appeared hovering over him and he knew it was his time.

She whispered something,

Not yet?

and a warmth traveled through his body and settled in his chest. All he wanted to do was fall asleep.

Wait, he was here for a reason. Priest sat up, smiled at the angel (which hurt because of the burns), and said,

"Thanks. Now let's go get those people."

Then he tried to stand up and regretted that too.

The singing continued in ragged clumps as the cultists drew Elijah's body into a coccoon again, holding him close. They made no attempt to defend themselves, save the man Jasmine was pinning.

"Whore of Babylon! Remove yourself from me! And get off my son!" Gabrielle's father screamed. As the cultists slowly realized who they faced, or perhaps what, they began to admonish the supers, telling them to "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

Very hospitable, these people...

Jon

The girl wasn't injured, and she recovered from her swoon in good time. In fact, her reaction was good enough that she popped Jon in the eye before he could stop her. "Let me go, demon!" she roared impressively for one so petite. "In the NAME of JESUS CHRIST, RELEASE ME!"

Click to reveal..
Mary's attack: 3 sux1d10=7, 1d10=6, 1d10=10, 1d10=8

Mary's damage (1 die after soak): 1 Bashing to Jon

1d10=9

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Myfwany replied, "James, you need to get on the sled. Priest, if you can move you get on too. Dan says there's more bombs, and my ability to heal isn't unlimited."
James was visibly surprised at what Myfwany said and he said, "Myfwany? Did you dig down to us? The house fell on us didn't it?"

Originally Posted By: Violet
"James!", she clutched him against her chest to feel he was moving and alive. "You're alive!", tears we're running down her cheeks.
James was again surprised and choked out, "Violet?"

Further talk was cut off for a moment while Violet picked him up, but after they were in the sled he continued, "Wait, what's going on?... Ah, I was out for more than a moment? Where are we? And did you get Priest out?"

James looked around... and the last of the blacks sparks faded leaving healthy skin.

[Regen until full, that's -3 q, pool 15 left]

With a gleaming flash of gold, Bond spun his oversized handgun once and tucked it back into its crossdraw holster in one smooth movement as he strode forward in Primal's wake. As part of the same motion he pulled another blue-tagged clip from his bandolier and slotted it into the auto-shotgun, letting the empty clip fall behind him: there'd be time to retrieve it later.

He moved past where Jasmine held the boy and the bellowing man pinned and grinned slightly at the dark-skinned girl before moving into the huddled crowd, some of them still clutching at the welts and bruises raised by the beanbag rounds. He ignored the signs of the cross and the chants of "Get thee behind me", his face set in a sardonic half-smile as he met fervent glares with cool warning stares if the cultists looked inclined to come any closer to him.

He came up next to Primal and crouched, letting the shotgun dangle from it's shoulder-sling as his gloved fingers plucked a bloody device up from the floor near where Elijah lay. He held it up, letting the flying Fox see the blinking red light of the dead-man switch.

"Lucky for you all I was here, hmm?" the blue-eyed Brit grinned with annoying (albeit charming) cockiness as, after a little consideration and a bit of blood-removal, he found the tiny catch he'd been searching for and popped it open. The battery fell out into his waiting palm as the blinking light stilled, the detonator having been reset and no longer sending out it's murderous signal. With a jaunty spring to his step Bond turned away, tossing the battery up high in the air before catching it as his other hand tucked the detonator into a pouch. He sauntered back over to where Jasmine was still struggling with the two cultists, crouching down out of random kicking range and smiling at her.

"Not that I think you're in any way helpless, but would you like a hand there?" He asked with exaggerated courtesy, blue eyes sparkling with mirth as the corner of his mouth quirked in a half-grin that was roguish in the extreme.

Click to reveal..

Int and Engineering to 'safe' the detonator

(15:26:02) ChatBot: (Bond) rolls 6d10 and gets 4,4,6,2,3,7.

1 succ

She glanced up at the man as she heard him approach, and tried to look at him sternly, though the attempt failed as her lips twitched slightly with amusement as he spoke.

"Certainly.. since I only bowled them over in the first place because I was afraid you were going to put a round or two into the congregation. Would you take this guy here? I need to check the boy, I don't know if it's safe to move him. I think.. I think I might have hurt him on accident."

She transferred control of Gabrielle's struggling father over to Bond. Then she knelt down next to the boy, whom she'd only had to pin loosely, because he was curled up in pain. He looked about fourteen or fifteen, and she bit her lip slightly, feeling guilty. She tried checking him out to see if it would be okay to move him. She knew she had heard something crack when they impacted.

"These two are related to the blond girl outside.. at least, I'm almost positive it's them, they look like how they were described to me. I.. I wanted to make sure nothing happened to them. I saw you pointing a shotgun, and they were right in your way. I.. I didn't realize you.. you know.."

She trailed off, a bit embarrassed at having assumed he was just going to start killing people. She turned back to the boy, and bit her lip again.

"We might be able to move him, but I'm kind of afraid to. I'm pretty sure he has a broken rib, or two. Maybe we'd better get the doctor in here to look at him first."

Originally Posted By: Courier
James was again surprised and choked out, "Violet?"

Further talk was cut off for a moment while Violet picked him up, but after they were in the sled he continued, "Wait, what's going on?... Ah, I was out for more than a moment? Where are we? And did you get Priest out?"

James looked around... and the last of the blacks sparks faded leaving healthy skin.

"I'm so glad you're still alive!", Violet still held him close to her chest having placed his upper body on her thighs while she embraced him with her arms.

"Someone said something about explosives and then the roof exploded.", tears were still running down her cheeks and her voice crackled a bit. But most of all she was relieved he lived.

"Don't you ever do that again, you hear me?!", her hood had slipped down revealing her face. "I wouldn't know how to go on without you.", she added softly while she gently kissed him on his forehead.

As soon as Priest tried to stand up, a small but insistant hand landed on his shoulder, and a gentle but firm voice from behind said, "If you go staggering back into the fray without even letting me take a look at you first, I will kill you myself."

The tone is light and joking, but there was enough steel in it to convince Priest to give her a look.

Myfwany was there, lips tightly pressed together as she did a cursory inspection of his wounds. Her fair, freckled face was cute in a librarian sort of way, but she suffered in comparison to the radiant Gabrielle, and the sultry supermodel that was Violet.

After a moment, she spread her palm on Priest's back. Her hand got very warm...and then that heat seemed to spill out into him, coursing like blood through his body. There was some pain as his body responded...nerves sang as they regrew, and feeling new skin grow in under the old was itchy and uncomfortable. Thankfully though it was all very quick, if incomplete. He was still hurt when it was over...just not AS hurt.

The immediate task complete, Myfwany spun to glare at Violet.

"Listen to me," she said quietly, voice shaking with anger, "You do not -ever- remove a patient from a doctor like you did up there. You could easily have killed him. Do you understand?"

Finally, everything else done for the moment, and still glaring at Violet, Myf placed the call to Fox via Dan's radio.

"Captain Fox, this is Dr. Shattuck. Dan told me to call you for a 'sitrep,' for some reason. Do you have any wounded, and if so where are you?"

Violet was caught off guard by Myfwany's glare and angry voice. There were still tears running down her cheeks and she responded shyly, "But... I thought the roof would blow up. I didn't know...", she tried to apologize but was still to entangled with her own emotions.

In response to James' request she held him fast in her arms and slowly started to glow, giving off a warm golden light from where her skin was exposed.

"It's going to be ok, James. I protect you.", realizing now that his eyes were missing she gently placed one hand over his eyes to cover them.

Click to reveal..
Activate Bioluminescence -1QP, 23 QP total

"If there's ever a next time, ASK," Myfwany stresses, moving the radio away from her mouth. "There are ways to carry people that make it safer for them -and- you. If you want to learn, I can show you. If you don't, then don't go picking up deathly wounded people and running off with them. It wouldn't do much good to avoid a bomb only to kill the people you saved now would it?"

Gabrielle's father, once released from the not-unpleasant clutches of Jasmine, tried once more to grab hold of the 'foul succubus' and get his son out of her Satanic grasp. "I said, get AWAY from him-" was as far as he got, however.

A strong hand easily caught hold of the man's right wrist, tugged down and out, and before the bewildered cultist knew what was happening he was flat on his face, a knee pressing lightly into the small of his back as both arms were ratcheted just short of painfully up behind him. Even more bewildering was the cheerful voice somewhere above and behind his head.

Click to reveal..

Dex & Martial Arts roll to get a Hold on Gabby's Dad.

17:47:25) ChatBot: (Bond) rolls 10d10 and gets [9],8,10,1,4,9,7,3,2,6.

6 succs to Hold

"Now now, just leave the nice girl be. She was trying to save you and your son from someone she suspected of being a murderous psychopath, so a little appreciation would be polite, even Christian on your part, hmm?" Bond tsked as he looked over at Jasmine. "Some people... full of suspicion and misunderstanding." His faint smile left her wondering if he meant the cultists or her... or both, perhaps? The smile broadened a little. "I'm sure a doctor is on the way, and this man's lovely daughter is likely to be with them." He got comfortable atop his prisoner. "Now behave, please sir. Your daughter is likely to be a little upset if she comes in here to find you hogtied with your own underpants, but that IS what she will find if you don't settle down."

"By the way." He looked over at Jasmine. "I don't believe we have been properly introduced. James Bond, at your service."

James replayed what happened and what people were saying and the other shoe dropped. *I feel wind. Don't see stars. From what they're saying it was only a few moments and this is the sled again. V would have turned on her glow if she and they needed it.*

*...*

*I feel sunlight.*

*...*

James held his hand carefully in front of his face and ran into Violet's hand. He said flatly with any emotion held at bay,

"There's nothing wrong with the sun. So that means I'm blind."

Priest sits down were the School Marm/Country Doctor puts him. Whatever she does hurts like fire, but the afterglow is worth it.

Looking at her,

"Doc, am I ready to ..."

Priest looks down at the Sacred House for a moment.

"Guys and Dolls, I think the trouble is over. My Spidey sense isn't tingling anymore. If Dan ..."

He looks around for Dan,

"... damn.

James is useless for the next bit. That leaves ... Dan ... who needs to set us back down. Oh joy. Guess I get to stay behind and lose all the glory.

"Gabrielle, you and Violet are needed inside now. I'll go with you. Doc too. Don't know who we hurt in there. I'll stick with James for a bit."

Priest staggers to his feet and winces from the pain.

"I'm good," he says as he teeters. "Locked and loaded."

"DAN!" he yells up. "Put us down. The fight must be over."

Feeling the controversy brewing up,

"Violet, he will be safe outside. I'm here with him and Jon's out and about. Please go were you can do the most good."

Originally Posted By: Bond
He got comfortable atop his prisoner. "Now behave, please sir. Your daughter is likely to be a little upset if she comes in here to find you hogtied with your own underpants, but that IS what she will find if you don't settle down."

"I don't have a daughter, Soldier of Satan! I just want that Whore off my son."

Said son simply groaned softly.

Dad struggled against Bond, all for naught.

Fox was very pleased to hear the doctor's voice over the radio, he hoped everyone up there was ok. "Doctor, I assume from your call that everyone up there is ok, so if you can get down here to the second floor I think we might have a few injuries. Probably nothing worse than broken ribs and such, but seeing to these people might help. I'm afraid I didn't make the best first impression having just put three rounds into their messiah."

Satisfied that the primary objective was achieved it was time begin the second, getting these people organized and deprogrammed so they could be either released or terminated if that was required. He had to try and think in those terms, killing people, even if they needed killing was not something he wanted to live with on his conscious if he could help it. He had known servicemen who had come back from nam who just had never been the same because of the killing. He didn't want to become one of those, he had too many people depending on him to be that brand of fucked up.

Fox concentrated on being as persuasive and charming as he could, as he floated in the air above the loonies. (Activating socials)

"Listen to me people. The man Elijah was an honest man, devout in his beliefs but he was wrong. God does not want children murdered or dying before their time. That is never ever God's will, but that is what he would have done with your children because of his mistakes. We do not want that, we want you all to live and prosper. A healer is coming to see to your injuries, and she will be here soon. We have also brought some of your own back to you to be reunited with you. You have no reason to love us right now, or even to trust us, but judge rather by our actions."

He looked over the crowd making eye contact with those who were not averting their faces. "Elijah was your leader. He saved you and brought you together here. That is good, but he also poisoned medical supplies that he traded to other people. Poisoned them with the plague so that other people, innocent people would become infected and be condemned to the living death. Is that the action of a good man? That is one of the reasons we came here, to stop that evil from continuing. But most important, we came because Elijah represented a direct threat to our homes and families. Elijah directly infected volunteers from your community including children and sent them to another group of survivors in order to spread the infection and bring the living death to an entire community. Is that the act of a godly man, to infect children?"

Fox could hear angry mutters at his words, but they were listening and he could see in some of their faces that they knew what was happening. "I don't ask that you judge right now, but rather listen to what your own lost people have to say and to discuss among yourselves. Some of your people know what I am saying is true because they helped Elijah to spread the infection. We came to do justice and justice has been accomplished, it can end with the death of the false prophet who would murder the children of other survivors. But we will not leave until we are sure that you will not follow in his footsteps."

He had talked long enough, Gabrielle, the doctor and the others should be coming in any second now. Fox floated gracefully over and landed near Jasmine. He stood tall and confident waiting to hear any questions from the people.

Click to reveal..
Fox was using all three of his social enhancements, Commanding Presence, Persuader and Awe inspiring.

Spending a willpower to get through to them.

(13:28:39) ChatBot: (Captain_Morgan) rolls 4d10 and gets 4,2,3,5.

No successes from the roll.

Persuader 2 auto successes

Commanding presence 3 auto successes

Awe Inspiring 1 auto success

7 successes total.

(The awe inspiring auto success only effects those actually looking at him. Anyone 'averting their eyes' will not be effect only have 6 successes apply.)

Dan looks down. "Priest in case you missed it, there's zombies down there. I'd much rather keep all of you aloft until I hear from Fox."

He smiles. He wanted to get in the fight, even if it was over now. Thus far all he'd done was protect and shuttle around the non-coms.

Then he hears Fox's reply. "Fine dammit." He returns the Sled to the roof and releases the cables. "Priest, I guess you'll stay here with James. He looks to Gabrielle. "Show Myf and violet the way to Fox on the second Floor. I'm gonna clear out the zombies enough to buy you all some time." having never set foot on the roof, he floats over the side draws his battle rifle and starts shooting zombies.

She watched as the man was pleasantly berated, and Bond could see her cover her mouth slightly with her hand, trying to suppress a small laugh. After all, it wasn't the most appropriate time. But he could see a faint trace of amusement flicker across her face. Then he introduced himself, and her eyebrows arched dramatically in surprise. Nonetheless, not wanting to seem rude, she held out her hand in return, clasping his in a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Jasmine. Jasmine Gentian."

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
"I don't have a daughter, Soldier of Satan! I just want that Whore off my son."

She glanced down at the man, and scowled slightly.

"You don't have a daughter named Gabrielle? Pale, blond hair? She looks a lot like your son, and your son looks an awfully lot like you. And if you'd stop yelling at me for a moment, you'll notice I'm not ON your son anymore."

She sighed, still kneeling next to the boy, and hoped she hadn't made a mistake. She heard Fox begin to speak, and listened to what he had to say. To her surprise she could hear people murmuring across the crowd about what he was saying - she had expected absolute disbelief, and denial. But she bit her lip, and hoped this could be resolved peacefully. Then she glanced back up at Bond.

"You.. ARE kidding, right? Your name's not REALLY James Bond?"

Beat.

"Although.. you DO kind of look like Daniel Craig.."

Originally Posted By: Priest

"DAN!" he yells up. "Put us down. The fight must be over."

Feeling the controversy brewing up,
"Violet, he will be safe outside. I'm here with him and Jon's out and about. Please go were you can do the most good."

Violet's reluctancy to leave James was clearly painted on her face. She shook her head wordlessly but then she heard Dan speak up in response to what was said over the radio.

Originally Posted By: Dan Hawkins
"Priest, I guess you'll stay here with James, Myf, Violet, come with me please." He looks to Gabrielle. "I'm sure you're worried about your family, do as you feel you have to."

"But...", she slowly let go from James whispering gently to his ear. "You'll be fine, I come back. I promise."

Wiping away the tears she nodded slowly. "This is what I came for in the first place.", looking at Priest she added, "Please...", she chewed a second on her lips and looked down at James. Violet didn't say much but her eyes spoke volumes. Then she followed Dan into the building putting on the hood again and covering herself with the cloak as much as she could.

"A pleasure." He smiled and shook Jasmine's hand, his other keeping his prisoner's arms pinioned. Blue eyes took a moment from studying the girl and swept the crowd, measuring their response to Fox's words as the Captain spoke. Bond had to admit, the man could speak well. There was a persuasive, believable cadence to his words - that they were the truth was a bonus. Bond nodded over at him as he landed nearby before turning back to Jasmine as she asked him her question. His answering smile was genuine as it was good-humored.

"Afraid so. My parents were Rachel and Frederick Bond, and they decided to call me James. My friends call me Jim, or Bond. Really close friends call me James." he added with an impish wink. "As for my looks..." He shrugged, pursing his lips slightly as he remembered. "I got sick half a year ago, and rather than dying and starting on an all-brain diet, I woke up like this. Strange but true."

James thought, *Blind? But I can't be injured. Well, sure, obviously there are limits, and also obviously...*

*...Wait! OK, sure, obviously I can be 'blind', but the healing should deal with that, right? A couple more minutes, say an hour tops, and it'll go away?*

James asked in an eager/anxious tone, "Hey, Priest, you can see powers working, right? So... obviously you can see the healing working on my eyes, right?"

She laughed very softly, she couldn't help herself. And she smiled back at him, she couldn't help it.. his nature was a bit infectious. When she spoke, she was more relaxed than before, and he could pick up on a slight southern hint to her voice, though it wasn't much.

"Well, my mother always told me God had a sense of humor. Apparently so did your parents. I'm starting to think God's is a pretty macabre one, but so far I can't disagree. So, what should I call you then? I don't think I fit either of those lists quite yet."

She glanced back down at the boy, and bit her lip slightly, before glancing up at Fox.

"And how long do you think it'll take them to get in here, Captain? He could use a doctor, or something.."

The people believed Fox, whether they admitted it or not. It seemed to be evenly divided between who admitted and who didn't; from those who did, there was shock and horror, as they finally allowed themselves to listen to the voices that had been whispering in their own minds and hearts.

The rest cried out in denial, and finally one stood forth and said, "Those who die by the plague ascend to Heaven, to stand by the Right Hand of God. Those behind should bring forth the will of God. WE ARE IN THE END TIMES! The DEVIL walks the EARTH in the most pleasing form imaginable! He will TEMPT you to FORSAKE GOD'S PLAN to remove the INNOCENT from the EARTH! DO NOT be swayed by his DEMONIC BEAUTY!"

And that, of course, was when Violet arrived, her purple eyes luminious and her beauty shining forth despite the cloak's attempts to hide her. The others with her were seen, but for these people, Violet was the most wonderous thing they had seen yet.

Except for one woman. "Gabby!" she cried, running around the crowd to her daughter. Gabrielle was grabbed by her mother and held close.

Click to reveal..
Violet is not glowing unless she wants to be - I was being descriptive.

Why am I talking with you?

He opens his eyes and senses to the next level. He began sensing the little thing ... like how fucked up he was, but also the faint vapors that were fading from James as he was ... healing himself - re-imprinting himself? Was he recreating himself?

"James, your aura is screwed up. It's been blocked around your brain and eyes. I bet your finger tips are tingling too. I am guessing, but I think your nervous system is harder for your to recreate. I think the part of your brain that handles sight is damaged, not just your eyes. Give it time and take it slow. I don't know what will happen to you if you try to break up this blockage with raw energy."

Priest looked away, scanning the roof.

"That's my my gut instinct anyway."

Bond started to answer Jasmine with his customary verve, but stoped to watch with his perpetually amused half-smile as the raving lunatic started to preach fire and brimstone. Primal, still grumbling, had come back out of the crowd of rapidly-schisming cultists to stand near his partner, and Bond glanced up at the blond giant with a grin as Gabrielle's mother ran forward to hug her.

"Not a bad plan, hmm?" he asked, to be answered with a low feline snarl.

"Yeah... right up to the point some fucker dropped a ROOF on me!" Primal growled, still in a bad mood about that as his cat-slit eyes glared at the gathering super-folks. "I'd like to have a word with whoever did that..." He raised his hands and shook dust and mortar out of his mane of hair. "Fuckin' retards. Why're you holdin' that guy?"

"Oh, this is Gabrielle's father, though he seems a little confused. Help me with him?" Primal grunted his assent and reached down, one large hand closing over the back of the man's jacket and lifting him easily off the ground as Bond let him go. Bond smiled at the captive man. "Now, we're just going to arrange a reunion, and you behave yourself, alright?"

The man looked a little intimidated now, dangling as he was from a hand the size of his head. Still he did his best to glare at Bond, who just shook his head and moved over to kneel beside Jasmine and the injured boy. Bond looked the crying lad over before peering over his own shoulder at the others. "Is there a doctor in the house?"

"Oh, and you get to call me Jim." Bond said to Jasmine in a lower tone, a crooked yet charming smile playing around his lips.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
DO NOT be swayed by his DEMONIC BEAUTY!"

And that, of course, was when Violet arrived, her purple eyes luminious and her beauty shining forth despite the cloak's attempts to hide her. The others with her were seen, but for these people, Violet was the most wonderous thing they had seen yet.

Violet gasped when she heard the last words of what the zealot just said. She braced herself for the wave of emotions that would surely sweep over her once she started to emotionally cut them from their ties to Elijah.

She removed her hood enhancing the luminous effect of her unearthly beauty she already had on the people in the room and concentrated on the man that seemed to try to replace Elijah and his preaching.

Trying is learning...

Click to reveal..
Using Emp. Manip. on the ranting man. Empathic Manipulation trying to cow the man in fear making him stop his rantings. (9d10.hits(7)=2) - first Dice is Mega, Burning 1 WP for extra Suxx - nets 4 suxx /-1QP, 22QP Total

Myfwany replied into the radio to Fox, "Okay, we're back on the roof. I'm coming down. James and Priest were hurt, but it looks like they're healing. No fatalities."

She looked over at Priest and said warningly, "You guys take it easy. You're close to your limits, both of you. Don't push them."

The doctor then made her way over the ruined roof towards the stairs down into the building proper to meet up with Fox and whatever wounded were waiting with him.

Gabrielle hugged her mother tightly, but whispered softly to her, "I need to talk to everyone first." She pulled back and began slowly walking through the crowd of cultists, a part of her reaching out their hearts to give them the serenity they needed to real listen to what they were being told, both by her and by Captain Morgan.

Click to reveal..
Activating Soothe, Halo Effect is, as usual, on.

Charisma Roll: (17:12:14) ChatBot: (Gabrielle) rolls 5d10 and gets 3,6,9,4,6.

1 success for Soothe.

Resist with Wits roll or WP expenditure.

Her voice was low, but it carried through the room and held the slow, easy cadence of a sermon. "Captain Morgan speaks the truth, and I am the living proof of his words. Elijah infected me, sent me to the Beaver Lake compound as a martyr. I agreed to this. I believed in him. We all believed in him. And he believed in himself and in the darkness and despair that had claimed his heart." She paused, gauging the reaction of her friends and family. She was slowly making her way towards her father and brother, her eyes worried as they settled on her brother's crumpled form. "God has not abandoned us. This may be the Tribulation, but we do not face it alone. Our Almighty and all loving Father has sent amongst His children angels to guide them and protect them; to teach them and see them through this onslaught of the Adversary. Never in the height of greatest debauchery or greatest sorrow has the Lord abandoned those of faith, but faith alone is not enough. We must show our faith and our love for our Creator through great acts."

She knelt down beside her brother and laid her hands lightly on either side of his face. His breathing was labored and a sheen of sweat had broken out over his skin, but when she touched him they both seemed to glow for just moment in a golden-white light. His eyes opened wide, his breath easier if still strained. She smiled beatifically at him, then stood again and addressed the crowd. "We allowed ourselves to be lead astray, we followed a man who preached the death and destruction of the children of God. This is not our way. Let our penitence be a life lived in the service of others, in the promotion of life and love in world so desperately lacking both. Please. Listen. Your hearts will tell you that this is and always has been the true Will of God."

Jasmine watched the girl approach, and she was struck again by her divine beauty. She watched as Gabrielle knelt down next to her brother, feeling guilty and monsterous all over again, like she had last night, after attacking Violet. She stood, and took a couple steps back, not feeling right kneeling on the other side of the boy she had injured while his sister was so close - the very person she had promised to protect him for. She had probably hurt him worse than he would have been if she hadn't even interferred. As she stepped back, it moved her closer to Bond, and the boy's father, and she whispered very softly, probably too soft even for Gabrielle to hear her.

"I'm so sorry.. I was just trying to keep him safe. I.. I didn't mean to hurt him."

Bond watched as the woman knelt by her brother and seemed to be bathed in holy light for a moment, color moving back into the younger man's face as Gabrielle's hands left his head. If Bond was impressed or awed, it showed only in the slight softening of his expression as he looked on. "Now that is an impressive trick." he murmured to himself, studying the angelic woman as she continued to address the flock. Some of his cynicism remained, however. Whatever she believed, Bond knew that he sure as hell was no angel, and that the fine words were simply the girl talking to her friends and family in their unifying language of 'Crazy'.

As Jasmine moved closer and he heard her murmured words, Bond stepped to her side and gave her a gentle nudge with his elbow. "Sometimes intention and action don't match up, but that doesn't negate the intention. Treat it as a learning experience: the boy will live, and next time you'll know that I don't gun down innocents." he said softly, his face a little more serious than usual. Then that devilish light flickered in his blue eyes and ruined the compassionate image. "You can't beat yourself up over beating someone up: you'll never stop at that rate."

With the other damage gone Priest could see that James was missing a few fingers from his (bomb grabbing) right hand... although oddly his aura was still there. James flexed his hand and said, "They tingle a bit."

James was quiet for a moment then he asked Priest, "Myfwany said you were hurt too. How bad?" *And why didn't you yell out a warning or something?*

The quantum waves of social pleasantries washed over Primal in an unwanted sea of calm. The beast withing him was caged, locked, chained, barred, and silenced. He looked to Elijah's corpse, wondering for a moment if the man was still alive and manipulating the scene from a silent subterfuge of death.

His fists clenched and Bond recognized that grimace upon the feral hulks face. Within the beast roared loud, the bars were bent and cast aside, chaines were shattered into useless links, and the cage exploded into debris on all sides. The beast within would not be tamed, ever.

His roar filled the room commanding immediate attention from all parties. Although still soothed an aching fear crept into all of them.

"So this!" He shouted to Morgan and his merry band of manipulators. "This is your big plan to help these people?"

He swept his hand to the crowd. "They fell under the sway of a mad man who you claim manipulated their thoughts and so you come here and do the very same to them?" He growled. "You people all need help, Elijah was indeed a fool and a bastard, but these people who stand before you are no different! They, like Elijah, with every word they speak, every motion they make, twist your minds, your thoughts, your emotions to see things their way."

He stepped out into the crowd, interposing himself between the largest group of bat shit zealots and Morgan's 'Elijah 2' group of raiders and liars. He glared at Morgan's people. "And that shit just ain't right. I'm going to say this once, and only once: whomever has the emotional relaxant going had best shut it off, or I'll kill you. And I know who you are. If any of your team pulls that shit again Fox, you've been warned. Treat these people, their points of view, and their hearts and minds with respect, or you forfeit your team's life."

His glare spoke nothing but truth. "Test me." He growled.

There was a silence in which you could hear a pin drop.

"Whoops. Excuse me..." Bond murmured to Jasmine before stepping away from the girl and moving over to Primal. Showing neither fear nor over-familiarity he stepped within reach of those lethally taloned arms, his expression completely serious for the first time since Fox's party had met him. For Primal, it was the first time Bond's usual half-smile had disappeared since they'd learned about that burned out scavenger/trader caravan in Colorado. Without flinching, sombre blue eyes met enraged amber ones.

"You know these people around you were planning to immolate themselves as some sort of pre-emptive Rapture, right?" He showed Primal the remote dead-man switch, his voice low but clearly audible to those nearest. His other hand brought out the powerful short-wave radio transceiver. "In fact, if I hadn't used this, we'd probably all be dead or buried under a few tons of hospital right now, which would certainly be an ironic way to go." He turned the transceiver off and tucked both it and the detonator away.

"Now, we don't know how badly messed up in the head some of these people are. That man..." and he pointed at the one who'd seemed to be a rallying point for the 'true believers' with one gloved hand. "That man seems to be the type to pick up where Elijah left off." Bond smiled faintly at his friend. "I'm not so fond of this place that I'd want to come back here and do this all over again, so if these people have a way to peacefully defuse this herd of two-legged timebombs so that most of them can stay alive and raise strong children, I say let them get on with it." He stepped up next to the large man's side, his tone conversational, but clearly audible in the quiet as he looked at the rest of the people in the room.

"These poor buggers have been misled and manipulated, sure. But these other people aren't lying to them, Primal. They're not trying to fleece them or make them write donation checks. They're certainly not trying to control you or me." Bond grinned tightly and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "Sometimes you need to use a knife to cut out the rot. Then the wound can heal. But I'll do you a deal if you like, my friend. We can keep an eye on them, make sure that the hand on the scalpel is a responsible one, that these people are going to be healed rather than broken to a new harness." Bond's pale gaze swept over Fox's party soberly before returning to the large man beside him. "I believe these people are here to help. But I promise you I won't stand by and watch slavery any more than you will."

"Primal, with all that said, this time it's your call." Bond turned so he was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his partner, covering his rear, his hands near the hilts of his guns. "If you won't let them do it their safe and sure way, then I'll back you up even if I think you're wrong."

He let that sit in the air, his demeanour relaxed despite the fact he had potentially just pledged himself to death defending his friend's principles. Bond wasn't like the leonine giant beside him, his partner knew. He could maybe take a bullet or two, but sure as hell wouldn't last long in a pitched battle with other super-folks without cover or some cunning trick to pull. But there he stood.

Quote:
Jon
The girl wasn't injured, and she recovered from her swoon in good time. In fact, her reaction was good enough that she popped Jon in the eye before he could stop her. "Let me go, demon!" she roared impressively for one so petite. "In the NAME of JESUS CHRIST, RELEASE ME!"

Click to reveal..
Mary's attack: 3 sux1d10=7, 1d10=6, 1d10=10, 1d10=8

Mary's damage (1 die after soak): 1 Bashing to Jon

Jon barely registered the blow to his eye as his symbiotically souped-up body repaired the damage as quickly as it was delivered. He squeezed his arms tighter around her and stood up. He just held her there, strangely calm while she struggled, kicked and screamed.

He was still feeling that strange warm oneness he felt with the parasites and was still distracted in the shock of it. He stood there almost oblivious for several moments before the moan of an undead brought him back to the world.

Not feeling inclined to dispatch it in this moment, Jon did what he always did when travelling...just run away. It never occured to him that every zombie killed was one less to threaten others. His driving need for research had all but blinded him to what civilizarion had survived for the last six months.

Realizing that things had been quiet for some time now and surmising that no others seemed to venture forth in escape, Jon ignored the undead's pleading for brains and zipped away. He did fortunately have the presence of mind to cradle the girl, holding her neck securely in place with one hand while he squeezed her under the other arm. Of course even without whiplash the intensity of a zero-to-a-couple-hundred kilometers per hout and subsequent rapid deceleration was quite enough to shut up her screaming. In fact the wind was practically sucked from her lungs like a vaccuum.

It wasn't hard to find the others gathered and he promptly deposited his charge with the cultists.

"Found one," he said to Fox in the brusque bedside manner that had led him to research over an physician's license. While at times capable of brilliance, dealing with humans was not his forte.

Click to reveal..
Spend 1 QP on reflexive regeneration, 22 Q left.

"Look, these people are crazy Jim." He looked to the zealots. "But these guys have the firepower to subdue them and take them someplace where counseling and proof of a normal life outside this religious crap is possible. Brain washing them like Elijah did, whether it's to help them or not, it just ain't right."

"Their minds are messed up enough as it is," This big man looked at Fox, his threat was still very serious and hung in the air. "These people have been screwed over enough by that mind bending fool, don't put yourself in the same boat as him. These people deserve better than to be treated like puppets to be led about on strings."

Without any social force, but loudly enough for everyone in the room to hear, Fox turns to Primal, "I am using words to try and change these people from being accomplices of a serial killing mad man into every day average Joes who can live productive free lives worshiping as they choose and doing as they please, minus being threats to everyone around them." Quieter and only for Primal to hear, "The alternative is to kill them all, because I will not allow them to be a constant threat of death for the hundreds of people whose lives depend on me and the decisions we make right here and right now. If you would rather kill them than persuade them to be stop infecting innocents then be my guest. The blood can be on your claws, but I'd rather use words to convince them rather than bullets. Now, please let us do this the bloodless way. Like Bond said, you can stay and watch and keep your claws ready to slice if you think we are trying to make these people into slaves of some kind."

"Maybe so." Bond shrugged lightly, still watching Primal's back, blue eyes scanning over the crowd. "I'd hardly call using 'gifts' to calm them down brainwashing them, though." He sighed slightly. "But your concern might be valid."

He nudged Primal and looked over at Fox. "Can we have your word that these people won't be subjected to brainwashing, even to 'help' them? Counselling, of course, is fine." He smiled in a friendly manner. "I and my partner can come along, help keep everyone safe and make sure there's no hidden surprises like Semtex vests. That way everybody is happy, and 'I' can get on with going through the store cupboard." His lips twitched roguishly at that.

Archived