Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 5a: Zealotry

Dawn OOC

Fox nodded, "Yeah you are right Jasmine. Gabrielle here escaped from Elijah and has asked us to help free those who are willing to lead peaceful lives." He glanced over at Gabrielle, "If you don't mind, please tell these gentlemen about the situation there."

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon brooded by himself on the flying platform, taking in the countryside. As they floated along, harnessed by the two supermen, the effect was almost surreal. He felt very out of place here.

The Captain, all courageous and charismatic.

The incredibly gorgeous couple that seemed so deeply in love, or lust, or something... They made him feel insecure...envious that their abilites had come to them in so flaterring a way. The buxom woman was attended by the petite young girl appearing to be a sister or a best friend...all relations that were closed to him now. It was astonishing that Maddie would even touch him, and although he knew his affliction was not transmittable, the sense of pariah remained, like a choking fog over his mood.

Then of course there was Gabrielle, emmanating her chaste serenity. Jon still felt guilt over how he had acted at Lost Bridge, having almost given in to the beasts' urgings.

The only ones who had shown any sort of real kindness to him were that Priest fellow and Myf. Jon decided that it was probably pity. And Hawkins kept boring suspicious eyes into him, certain that any moment the monster in their midst would somehow get free. *His fears are warranted,* Jon thought solemnly. *I share them.*

After a long and uneventful flight, a vehicle was spotted in the distance and they landed. Jon said nothing but shrunk himself in the background away from the brutish looking feral man who seemed eager for violence. Jon cast furtive glances at him as he bared his claws and fangs...it would seem that he was not the only one to have been mutated into something primal and animalistic.

More than anything, Jon just wanted to get this errand over with, so he could get back to his research.

Gabrielle had been grateful to fade to the background for last the several minutes; the big blond man frightened her and on top of her nervousness and fear of the upcoming fight, she was almost at the end of her emotional rope. She fought down a sigh at the Captain's request and gave them a summary of Elijah and his followers.

"Elijah believes that we are living during the Tribulation." Her eyes flicked between the two traders, unsure if they would know what that meant. "The time after the Rapture when the Adversary is given rule of the world for a thousand years. He-he thinks he is doing God's will, purifying the Earth of the unfaithful using the weapon of the Adversary. He's...misguided. Insane." She looked down, her manner sad and regretful, "He's also good at organizing people and at manipulating scripture. We -my family- thought that the hospital would be a refuge for us, that we'd finally found some sort of salvation from the plague and the-the collapse of everything."

"He separates men and women, so we never knew exactly what was going on. We heard rumors, and sometimes when traders or people passing through would come, we'd be told to do strange things or use certain supplies we'd been warned away from before. Then Elijah started talking about the other places that had sprung up, enclaves of people...." She took a deep breath, obviously struggling with this, "He, well it doesn't really matter what he said, he convinced some of the flock to let themselves be infected and sent out to those places." She pulled her arms around herself, rubbing her hands as if she was cold. "He's trying to kill anyone that isn't his followers. Anyone he thinks lacks faith. I get rid of those medical supplies right now. They've probably been infected with the Z-virus. Even the pills or things that look like they're still sealed. My mother said she's seen some of the men fiddling with the medical closet she'd been told not to get supplies from."

Between all the ups and downs of the past two days, Gabrielle was having a rather hard time holding on to her courage. She was fighting back tears as looked between the two strangers, "Please, you have every right to be angry at them, but most of the people there, they don't really know what Elijah is doing. They...they're afraid of being turned out. They just want a peaceful place to live and worship." Her voice dropped to a whisper as she lost her battle with the tears, "They're not all bad people."

Originally Posted By: Courier
James said, "This Elijah, what's he look like?"

"Long hair tied back, long beard, and a sanctimonious expression. He was also unarmed, but then he has people to do unholy things like fighting for him, I'd imagine." Bond told the large man standing behind the others before returning his attention to the blonde woman in front of him. His voice became less clipped, a little gentler as he considered her demeanour and words.

"I understand what you're saying... Gabrielle, isn't it?" He gave her a warm smile. Behind him, Primal rumbled something under his breath that sounded something like "Here we go..." A faint quirk of amusement touched one corner of Bond's mouth at that, but he remained focused on the woman.

"The problem is, of course, that if people are fanatical enough to come between us and him, they're a threat to us 'bad people' or not." He shrugged, still smiling. "I'm not interested in hurting anyone that doesn't get in our way, though anyone who tries to impede my friend here isn't long for the gene pool."

He looked over at Fox. "Give us a minute to confer, please." He turned with a final smile for them all and sauntered over to where Primal leaned against the hummer, leaning up against it also but facing away, his voice a murmur.

"What do you think? These people, some of them at least, are 'special' types. Flying men? They must be a lead to that enclave we've heard of, maybe even are from it. And the women..." He looked back over his shoulder briefly. "The blonde one looks like an angel." He faced Primal again with a slight grin. "It might be a smart move to go along with them and keep the casualties to a minimum. The two of us could probably get to Elijah very quickly without a protracted gunfight. There's a problem with his style of leadership: nip off the head and the others should surrender because they'll be directionless. Then, my friend, we are in good with these fine people." He grinned wider. "Of course, we'll have to dump those supplies like the nice lady suggested, but I foresee more supplies forthcoming."

Jasmine looked thoughtful for a moment, then she stepped over to Gabrielle, and caught her arm slightly with a gentle, but insistent tug.. not far enough away from anyone to draw any attention, but hopefully far enough for others not to overhear, a step or two at most. That is, if they didn't have hearing like hers.. she could still hear everything around her, could hear the exact words spoken between the two strangers as if they were right next to her speaking them. She looked at the girl, and bit her lip slightly, murmuring to her.

"If you tell me what your family looks like.. I'll do my best to get them out, so you'll have a chance to talk to them, to explain things. I know most of these are good people, I'll do what I can for them, but if I can at least keep your family safe.."

Primal wasn't really the 'confering' type and it was obvious the moment Bond finished murmuring to him. His reply wasn't anything any about had a hard time hearing.

"Dumpin' the supplies doesn't bother me," He started. "Not like we ain't had to burn contaminated shit before and I think 'fine people' is stretching it a bit Jim, they waylay people on roads, so quit kissin' ass just cuz the quim seems lickable. Elijah screwed us, so we're going back with or with out these people, so to follow your pussified logic we may as well work with them so I don't 'accidentally' break one of them when they show up to do their thing while were doing ours."

"Anything that gets in my way while I'm looking for Elijah, is being torn apart." He snarled at Bond who didn't flinch. He'd grown accustomed to how the big man spoke and it seemed speaking with a growl or a snarl or a roar was a near impossibility these days. Too much anger, not enough vacation days it seemed. "I hate liars that ain't us, but pieces of shit like him that are just making this world worse than it is so he can run the show 'in the end' piss me off even more. He dies. Today."

If Bond was at all dismayed at Primal's loud gravelly tone, or at all embarrassed by the equally loud insinuation that he was "kissin' ass" to impress a pretty face, or indeed at all taken aback by his partner's aggressive manner or body language, none of it showed. He grinned at Primal, clapping the big man on the shoulder before turning around to face the others with a wide smile as though for all the world they hadn't been able to hear Primal's response.

"Well, I think we have an arrangement." he told them as he sauntered back over. "My partner and I will secure Elijah and prevent his being a further threat. We're both used to working together, so there should be little trouble provided no-one seeks to deprive us of our fun." Bond's china-blue eyes were dancing with a certain chill merriment, as though he was contemplating going to a party rather than taking part in the horrible death of a cult leader. "Or the loot, of course."

He looked over at Fox. "Shall we go then? We can rendezvous a klick or so south of the hospital to make last minute plans. Trust me when I say, however, that simplicity is probably the best policy here. Primal has Elijah's scent, so there's nowhere our friend can run to."

With that, he turned to head back to the hummer, throwing his friend a wink. They were on the move again.

Jasmine's lips pressed together slightly, and she glanced at Gabrielle, who hadn't had time to respond yet because of the vocal nature of the savage looking man's response.

"Best to tell me what they look like on the way there.. I don't know if we can expect much.. patience.. from those two."

Jasmine smiled reassuringly, but it didn't quite reach her eyes, and Gabrielle could see it the gravity of the situation reflected in their dark depths.

Myfwany eyes the unlikely pair from next to Gabrielle. The savage beast-man and the suave British guy who claimed to be James Bond. They were both obviously lunatics. If they hit the hospital they'd probably be gunned down before too long, but not even Elijah's God knew how many they'd take with them.

"We need to get there first and clear out as many innocents as we can," Myf says woodenly. "Everyone back on the platform."

Quote:
there should be little trouble provided no-one seeks to deprive us of our fun
James grunted softly at that. That the big dangerous looking and acting man-beast was apparently dangerous wasn't a shock. James didn't hold wanting to kill the 'holy' man against him, that'd been their plan after all, but violent, brutal, and now probably sadistic held it's own set of potential problems.

Still... there was something to allowing one's potential problems to solve themselves.

This wasn't a democracy and James knew he wasn't getting a vote, but James still said to Fox, "Let them go."

They'll either win or die trying. We're probably up either way... and it'd be a real job to stop them.

Gabrielle nodded, caught between disbelief and horror. She let herself be led back to the sled; three of the people on the sled clustered around her, the young blond man in the group shooting the traders a murderous look as he put his arm around Gabrielle.

Jasmine followed them back, still holding onto Fox's larger gun. She climbed aboard the platform next to Gabrielle and after a glance in the direction of the Hummer, she turned back to the girl. She didn't want to frighten her, didn't want to push it.. but she took a deep breath, and tried again. She knew if it were here parents.. that's what she'd want. She reached forward, and touched Gabrielle's face lightly on the cheek, trying to catch her attention, trying not to scare the girl further.

"Gabrielle.. honey.. just tell me what your family looks like. Describe them to me.. that's all I need to know. Please."

AC/DC's "If You Want Blood" started up after a few moments of fiddling with the CD player, and Bond pressed the starter button with a smile as Primal growled approvingly. 1KFALCON roared to life and abruptly did a tight u-turn with a screech of tires and a lionlike roar from the powerful V8 engine as it accelerated to around 80 miles per hour.

They'd made it halfway back to the enclave before Primal glanced sideways at his partner's slightly distant half-smile and reached out with one black-clawed digit to turn the volume down to non-shouting levels. That look meant his partner had come up with a basic plan and was ironing out the kinks as they drove.

"Spill it." Primal told him in a not-quite-threatening voice. "I don't want any fuckin' surprises from you, Jim. I told you that after those gunrunners."

"That was early days." Bond shrugged. "I wasn't sure how far I trusted you then." He smiled without taking his eyes off the road. "Much the same way as I'm not certain how much we can trust our 'allies' back there."

"Happy Gabby Nicetits is gonna be a damn problem if she gets in there before us, and that's a fact. So what's the plan? You told 'em that we'd keep the deaths down. How d'ya plan to manage that one?" Primal nearly snarled, agitated.

"Simple enough. We warn them with the PA system: tell them we know Elijah's tainting supplies he sells to traders and we're coming in there to take him. We tell the nice people that anyone that's not armed and keeps out of our way is in no danger." Bond's fingers tapped in rhythm with the quiet music. "Then we give them thirty seconds to absorb that, blow the doors in with a small satchel charge, throw two flashbangs into the lobby and in we go. You jump up to the balcony, lower the gangplank and sort out any slow learners up there. If I can get up there through a little freerunning, I will. Otherwise I'll cover you as best I can from the floor until the plank's down."

Bond pursed his lips. "Anyone who stays out of our way, we leave alone. But lets get Elijah and neutralise anyone that tries to defend that pompous bastard." He looked at Primal. "How does that grab you as a plan?"

Gabrielle seemed lost in her own personal Hell at the moment and wasn't taking messages. Maxine, however, quietly gave Jasmine a description of the girl's mother, a whispy woman named Christine. Samuel reluctantly chime in afterwards (and after a sharp look from Maxine) with descriptions of Mr. Andrews and Christopher, father and brother.

Violet pulled the hood deeper into her face again and skid closer to James for support. She was still tangled up emotionally. To her it felt like flying through a storm that hit her with a force she wasn't prepared for.

"That manbeast would kill us all without remorse... He's dangerous, James." Dangerous and savage, the latter part was what intrigued her and she tried hard to distance herself from it.

Jasmine nodded at them both, and after a moment, looked them over, feeling guilty for her sudden focus on the girl's family.. surely these others might have people they care about too. Then again, they probably cared about everyone there.. and she was pretty sure she couldn't save everyone. Hell, her track record for saving anyone wasn't too impressive, but she had to try her best.

She supposed it was just something about the girl's appearance, her face.. she seemed so innocent, so.. untouched. Jasmine didn't know if she had faced the sorts of horrors she'd had to.. but if she hadn't, she didn't want her to have to, and if she had, she didn't want her to have to again. And that didn't have anything to do with her saintly appearance. She quietly turned to the others, and questioned them about their own families too, as they lifted off..

A clawed digit stroked at the scruff of the predatory mutant. "Should keep everyone happy, I ain't out to slaughter every woman and child, but fuck em' let em think what they want. Elijah traded us the goods, he's responsible, so he'll pay."

"Tracking him won't be hard, but don't pull the hero shit this time," He looked to Bond and the Brit could feel the glare. He knew what his partner was talking about. "You might be lucky Jim, but shit like what you pulled back at Lake Tahoe... let's not try it here. I can't die, we've tested that, let's not push the envelope with stupid theatrics, aight?."

It was about as close to a 'I care whether you live or die' statement as Primal was capable of.

There in the silence, with his mind still on Lake Tahoe, Primal chuckled (if you could call it that) and shook his head in reminiscent disbelief. "Damn, how could you not have seen that coming, bitch had a 12 gauge..."

Rolling his eyes Bond turned the CD back up to shouting levels. He didn't want to talk about it.

Originally Posted By: Gabrielle
Maxine, however, quietly gave Jasmine a description of the girl's mother, a whispy woman named Christine. Samuel reluctantly chime in afterwards (and after a sharp look from Maxine) with descriptions of Mr. Andrews and Christopher, father and brother.
James nodded without commenting. Descriptions weren't going to mean much in what was coming. Anyone who pointed a gun at them was fair game.

Originally Posted By: Violet
"That manbeast would kill us all without remorse... He's dangerous, James."
James replied, "So what you see is what you get. Wonderful."

"Maybe we should drop off the non-combatants before we get there?"

Priest got onto the sled. As they approached the base, he swithced his assualt rifle for his shotgun. He slung the assualt rifle over his shoulder. Touching Gabrielle on the the shoulder he touched the shotgun then said,

"Bean-bag rounds - non-lethal."

He hoped his little bit helped.

Click to reveal..

Activating Premonition - 21/24 Quantum Pool

Before they took off again, Jon approached Captain Fox, who had been so generous and understanding of him. He whispered close after the Humvee had already peeled off.

"Captain...I am faster than anyone here, even you fliers, on foot. I could trail after them, or even run ahead if you had a mission for me....I..I'd like to help."

Fox agreed with Mwfwany, "Everyone aboard, I don't think those fellas will wait for us if we're late and I want to be early to this party."

Looking to Jon, "Yeah, that sounds good. Your job is to make sure no one leaves that compound, so follow those two and hopefully we'll be there before they are and can get a head start to save some."

With weariness that was more of the soul than body the Captain reattached the harness and waited for Dan to be ready before they took off. As they began liftoff he yelled to everyone, "Ok, hang on tight, we are gonna go as fast as we safely can to try and beat those guys there. We'll drop off the non-combatants before on the roof before we go in."

Jon nods and hops off the sled. He stands still for a moment, his eyes closed as he feels the things writhing within him in anticipation of bloodshed. He takes a deep breath and sighs, feeling a combination of resignation and relaxation as his body draws upon whatever unfathomable strength now empowers it. Once ready he explodes into movement and dahses off into the distance, to the awe of those watching from on high in the sled. Were the world not as it was, it would seem impossible for a humanoid form to move so fast.

((2 QP, activate Hypermove, 26 remain.))

James and Primal arrive back at the compound, finding the fence locked tight again. Once again, the cross looms omniously and once again, no one comes out to greet them. All is silent, as if the world were holding its breath.

Bond studied that huge cross for a moment as the 1KFALCON's engine idled over, and his smile gradually widened to a huge sparkling grin before he shared his sudden mad impulse with Primal. The two-legged lion looked at him a moment then started chuckling, shaking his maned head as Bond, grin still firmly in place, turned and rummaged in the back of the Hummvee.

"Here." He passed Primal a small satchel charge and four grenades on a bandolier. "Flashbangs, and the charge has a 10 second fuse from the time you pull the cord. I'd suggest being about 15 feet away or more when that happens. It'll do the doors nicely." Further rummaging in the weapons locker behind them and he was done, clipping a couple more pouches onto his harness and replacing some shotgun ammo clips with alternate loads. One of these he slapped into the weapon, chambering a round before slinging it around his shoulders. "Ready?"

"Let's fuckin' DO it already, Jim." Primal growled, the feline glitter in his eyes as he looked at the waiting hospital no more wild than the glint in Bond's in that moment. The Englishman flipped a switch on the sound system, bringing the speakers outside online and killing the music as he picked up the handset mic. His voice carried across the intervening space to those inside the hospital.

"Attention, god-fearing people of the Mary Queen of the Universe enclave. Your leader, Elijah, is a murderer and a fraud. We came to trade in good faith and received diseased medical supplies with which he hoped to spread the unholy plague that has killed so many. We want only Elijah, who will face the oldest justice there is for his crimes. Those of you who stay out of our way and do not fight will NOT be harmed, this we promise. Your false prophet is not worth your lives. We are coming in after Elijah in precisely thirty seconds. Be out of our way."

The words echoed off the nearby buildings, both a pronouncement of judgment and a calm promise that the innocent would be spared as Bond shut off the PA and slipped the Hummvee into gear, getting ready. Tense silence followed...

Click to reveal..

Rolling Cha + Intimidate. Spending 1 WP for a success

(01:23:10) ChatBot: (Bond) rolls 5d10 and gets [3],8,5,5,7.

3 succs total.

Moving in harmony with Fox, Dan lifts then together they take off towards the compound with the sled between them. The Flight there is short, and he knows the winds have to be hell on the people on the sled. They set the sled down on the roof of the sturdiest looking building and he rapidly unhooks the harness and brings around his battle rifle.

"Priest, James, Fox, let's move. We've got to hurry before things get messy."

He stops in front of Violet. "I need you to do something. See if you can make each of the people in this location very very tire, or barring that apathetic. In general see if you can use your abilities to make this easier on everyone so that they don't fight back."

Fox hurried to get out of the harness and take his gun machine gun from Jasmine. "James you jumping to the building or do you want a lift? I intend to go into one of the windows on the second or third floor whichever we see a lighted window. Jasmine if you want to go in hang onto me, I'm going to fly over." He could already hear the 30 second warning being given over loudspeaker from down on the street. "Damn they are jumping the gun and not waiting for us. Hurry folks, I don't want to see innocent people killed for no reason if we can avoid it." He positioned Jasmine on his back piggyback style and held onto her wrists with one of his hands to make sure she wouldn't fall off. "Time to go!"

Click to reveal..
Rolling for init: (20:07:51) ChatBot: (Captain_Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 10.

Init of 11 + 10 = 21.

Jasmine hurriedly handed Fox's gun to him, and after he spoke, she wrapped her arms around Fox's neck, securing his grip with her own on his shirt loosely, so that it wouldn't choke him. She wrapped her legs around his waist from behind, trying not to feel a bit akward.. the last time someone had given her a piggyback ride she had been about eight, and it had been her father, after all. She nodded confirmation, and drew in a deep breath as he took off.

She could feel the wind on her face, and for a moment, she glanced down.. but it didn't seem to phase her, and Fox, though he probably expected it, didn't feel any tightening of her grip. She focused on the upcoming landing, and prepared to be ready for anything..

Click to reveal..
Activating Enhanced Initiative, rolling for Init: (20:38:34) ChatBot: (Jasmine) rolls 1d10 and gets 3. Init of 9 + 3 + 5 = 17. Quantum: 20

Primal stepped from the Humvee. "Satchel charge. Cute. I'll handle the gate, save the equipment."

He ran forward barreled into the gate, pushing it aside as metal crushed and chain links snapped under the might of primal force and he just kept walking. He stopped briefly.

"Hymns." He said, looking back to his partner he kept him in the loop with a shrug. "Jim, they're chantin' Hymns."

As he approached the door, there was still nothing, but the hymns in his ears. The scent of the two sentries they'd seen stationed before hit his olfactory senses and he just grinned and ignored it for the most part, making a mental note. Faded. they must have moved into an attacking position farther inside.

"Watch you're ass Jim, they're falling back already, their scents are fading quickly." His large boot came up and with a powerful roar from deep within his lungs the doors was smashed open. One hung pathetically, it's bottom hings was all that kept it still fasted to the frame. The other door flew inward streaking like a flat missile clean through the reception area.

"Satchel charge." Primal mumbled shaking his head. He stepped into the reception area slowly looking up at the second level with a bestial growl of a predatory hunting cat, preparing to make his leap.

He let out an earth shattering roar the likes of which could be heard through out the city blocks. The King was preparing to hunt.

Click to reveal..

Primal has entered the reception area but has not leapt to the second floor yet.

Action - Breaking open the front doors, moving into the reception area.

Initiative = 14.

End of his Turn

Fox shrugged as he heard the door the crash of metal and wood as Primal tore through the gate of the compound. "Dunno. Plan kinda went out the window when those two showed up. Besides no plan survives the first engagement with the enemy anyway. I'd have preferred to do this with more prep, but right now we need to save some lives if we can." He looked at Dan, "You get priest and we'll meet over there as quick as we can."

Bond was moving as Primal exited the car, turning off and pocketing the ignition cutout as he too jumped out. Moving with smooth speed, the mercenary trotted to the base of the large cross and, grinning like a maniac, quickly fixed a molded charge of C4 around the base of the man-made tree, paying particular attention to where he wanted it to go. Sticking a wire detonator into the putty-like substance, Bond took a few steps back and pressed the switch.

With a loud *crack* the charge blew a huge wedge in the side of the cross near the base. Slowly, with a creaking groan of protest, the huge symbol of Elijah's faith began to fall...

...Towards the edge of the hospital's roof.

Click to reveal..

Dex & Engineering to place the charge right

(02:52:56) ChatBot: (Bond) rolls 7d10 and gets 2,9,2,5,1,4,9

2 succs

That's his action this round.

Init = 22

As the cross toppled past the 45 degree mark he didn't waste any time. Unslinging his shotgun, the inhumanly nimble man scarce paused before jumping ONTO the falling timber and running up it as it accelerated down and impacted with a loud splintering *crash*. It bounced a little but stayed solid as, totally fearless atop his foot-thick makeshift ladder, Bond reached the top.

Without even blinking or seeming to weigh his chances, the daredevil threw himself into space off the fallen cross and through the nearest second-storey window with a crash, rolling neatly into a crouch and covering the room he had so unconventionally entered with the large bore of his shotgun.

Click to reveal..

Dex & Athletics roll to run up the cross and jump through the window.

(03:11:59) ChatBot: (Bond) rolls 10d10 and gets [9],2,2,9,2,1,5,1,9,4.

+ 3 auto succs for Physical Prodigy

7 succs.

"Feels good", Priest says as they get ready to go down. He looks around, making sure that they are okay.

Click to reveal..

IF needed (22:14:54) ChatBot: (Adrian1) rolls 10d10 and gets 6,6,2,2,10,4,9,10,10,1 = 4 successes

Mega Dice(22:20:28) ChatBot: (Adrian1) rolls 1d10 and gets 1

As the platform comes down to the roof, Myfwany braces herself to disembark. She has no idea what she should do in this fight, though healing any wounded would seem to be the very least of it.

Init roll: 8, init bonus +7...total init: 15

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1965123/

Per 4 + Awareness 4

7, 2, 10, 8, 6, 1, 10, 4

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1965134/

Archived