Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4C: Let there be light

Wesson

Running in the open air, bring back the joy of youth.This body had youth trapped in his cold mind. This was the cruel joke.Youth not wasted on the young. It was not that he was bitter about having this body, he loved being able to run again. He loved having power in his hand. He just wish that he could have gone back to before all this. He wish he could have gone back and set not have to carry this weight on his shoulders. He could go on his life, pretending that he was normal or that someone else would fix the world. That would be lying. Wesson did not lie.

This place need to be repaired.This land, these people.They were broken. He saw broken homes, broken windows, broken people. Machines were easy to fix, people were not. In his running grew sloppy not seeing the zombies, be needed to learn how to unfocus sometimes. He knew these were once people, and if was a bigger man he would kill them now.No not kill them, they were already dead. They were not mothers,daughters, sisters anymore.They were no longer fathers, sons, brothers either. They were moving sacks of flesh, and right now they were in his way/ He grabbed one of them, choosing speed. After all, killing so few would just take to much time, latching on back, fingers sinking into dead flesh Wesson's hand held on to what was left of a shoulder. He lift the corpse up and bashed it into the other two closest to him, and then threw it at the last one really in his way.

He didn't stop running until he was at the damn. That is when noticed the long gashes on his arm. Think harder was what it told him.The blood had stopped flowing and the wounds were already closing. If only the world could heal like his body.Hell if only his heart could heal like his body. He wanted to be a monster, someone with no morals, no cares, no regrets, no loves, no pains. Someone with no dreams. Someone with no hopes.

The exterior of the dam is about what he expected, all concrete, no soul. A bit of hunting found him the doors to access the interior of the dam, which was good. The bad part was that he may not be the first person in here; the door was open. But there was light coming from within, which was another good sign. He waited for another bad, but one didn't come, and soon he slipped inside.

Three hours later, he had determined that the turbines were mostly ok. Protected by the concrete around them, they would last for a while. But he didn't want to think about replacing them.

No, the real impediment to long-term stablility was the lack of power lines. The dams were producing energy, right now. But there was currently no way to get that power where it was needed.

Well, he looked about the out put way down. No need to pump out energy to dead lines.It was just not safe, turning off the breaker making sure that when the lines were set back up, they wouldn't need any body bags.He moved around the the facility, studding, and liking the clean lines.The way it was fully functionally built. He had to check in to tell the good news. Still he was sure to make sure all the door were closed behind him.No need to be suprised.

Pulling his radio out he spoke in commanding tone.

"This is Wesson, I think I found the answer to your water problems, and so much more, over."

"Roger that, but we've had some problems here and are on lockdown," an unknown voice told him. "Do you need assistance? If so, it's unlikely that Dick will authorize it."

Min's voice came over the radio. "They kicked me out, Granddad. I'm bringing the truck around for you. Where are you?"

He sighed. This town was worth helping not only because it was the right thing to do but because this damn was worth the bullshit so far.The modern world was built with power, and no mater how much you stockpiled before the crash, no mater how well you rationed, your supplies would run out Your gear would break down. You had to have ways of not only repairing what you had but to make new things.

"Sir, I understand. Help would be nice, but not needed."

Pausing.

"Min I am at the damn, I will meet you outside, and we can talk about what you did.Over."

He knew she did nothing wrong but why over play his hand, and was easy to be overly protective of his granddaughter.

"Talk about... Granddad, they kicked me out. I got the truck- You know what, I'm just going to wait to talk to you when I'm there. Over and out." She'd sounded angry. He would sort it out when she arrived.

It didn't take her nearly as long to get to him as it had taken him to run. Before too much time had passed, his radio crackled and she said, "I'm here and out front."

Sighing, Min laid it out: the attack in the medbay, the report that one of the people had been purposefully infected and then their polite request for her to leave. "As to why, all I can say is that they decided I might be infected too," she said angrily. "They're nuts, granddad."

Crazy people were given so much.The world goes to hell, and sure enough it goes to hell.He made sure the Truck was in as a safest of place as he could. Picking up the radio.

"This is Wesson, and I want to talk to Maury. Over."

Maury seemed reasonable. If this damn was going to be put to good use, the person in change would have to see past his own nose. This Dick, did not seem that man. This Dick may be unreasonable enough to just burn this bridge down, rather than fix it. Still all those people. Could Wesson live with knowing he just walked away form all those children because the insanity of one man. Would he be any better, for it..

"Min, life just sucks.This is just not a win for us."

"Look, I don't know you very well, I don't know why your town is the way it is very well either. I do know that, you have what you need right here to solve most of your problems. Not all of them but most of them."

Pausing he took a deep breath.

"The world we used to have was built on power. Sure a lot of that was gas power, but right here you have a damn that can make more power than you guys could ever use. This damn here is a solid base to rebuild your world, and even to help others. The resource issues you are having now are fixable, and I can do it. I want to help your rebuild. No I can't promise you things will be back to the way they were before the zombies, but I swear to you that, your people will have clean, fresh water, and that you will not have to live underground in caves."

Taking another pause he let the man think on what was saying.

"The only thing I ask for in return is that when we set up this power grid, you will let me use it to help who ever I can get this power grid to, cause the time to fight with the people over on the other side of the that hill is long over. The time is to rebuild, and to come together, cause if we just build walls to keep the outsider out, we may as well lay down and die now.By the way Dick if you are listening.I am here to help all. Would you let me help your people?"

He was looking out at the ghost of the city, the fire damage here and there.The broken windows, the dead streets, and the downed power lines.This job was going to time. Still time was something he could spend on a job like this, if the people would listen and let him help others, and not just them.

"Thank you for your concern, but you fail to understand what is going on here." Dick's voice was harsh and strident. "We live underground because it is the safest place. You came down here with your nose in the air, hating us because we've made something good here. We never asked for your help."

"Safest? Dick, you give up freedom for safety. I heard that before. I don't buy that shit. As for the way people act and were treated. You have to look at yourself.I came to your town, with nothing but good will, and you treated me as if I was bent on killing you and your people."

He motioned to min.Smiling to her. She was his his sunshine.

"You are dying down there. You are slowly running out of water, and food. You may have months, you may have years, but you are living on borrowed time. So, again. I offer you my help. If you do not wish to die, let me help you."

"We're doing fine, and if you want to help, please us alone." The voice had a note of finality to it, and there were no more asnwers to his calls.

"What a seething ass," Min growled. She crossed her arms. "And I didn't even get laid. So what next? Where are we going now?"

"They are damning themselves and others. Min, I am tempted to force them to change. I have the power to do so. I think I will give them some time think things over...Time to start helping people who do not want to die.Min, we will be here for a wile.A day or so."

He went to his truck, and pulled out a few pads of paper, a few pencils,and binoculars. He was clearly angry. He went over the damn again, taking note of what tools were left, of what needed to be repaired inside.He then went to the highest tower he could find, and looked for all the power lines that were still up, and mapped them out in his head. He noted how much wire was up, and most likely still good, and then how much wire it would take hook the caves back to it. He then noted how many cars were left in the street. He was going to make sure these people at least knew they could rebuild their town . He then guessed how much metal it would take build a pipe large and long enough to get enough clean water to get enough clean water to these people. In the mean time, a way to set up a water tanker that didn't need gas to run. Something that could move tons of water at once. He wrote all his all notes in the simplest terms he could manage without talking down to them. Just in plan English, with as little jargon as he could. Bunking up in his truck with min. He was in a bad mood. Staying up all night working on his notes. In finishing up in the morning, he added his last words to it. He was giving them time but if they were going to let that damn go unused, they were not only damning themselves but others as well. He wrote out saying they had two months to at least show signs of progress on the damn, or he would come back, and at least use this damn for others.

Starting his truck up, he made his way threw the zombies in front of him, knocking them over. Something Blue was made for this sort of shit. He pulled up to one of the opening he knew of with his package on how to fix the about damn.Getting out the cabin he went the truck killing remains of the zombies that latched onto his truck. He then set his package on the ground and rapt none to kindly on the side walk just outside the door, pulling back his bloody hand, he smiled as his hand left a clearly fist sized hole.returning to his truck he drove off.Not paying to much mind to what happened at the door. He drove off, into the wild blue yonder.Turning on his radio to say the last of his peace.

"I am your friend. I am not your enmay. I am just a man who wants to rebuild the world. You people are blessed with resources you are not using, and I am sickened by that.I have left, and know I will return and that damn will be put to use."

Archived