Aberrant: The Long March - Departed

Joani

Kyria hugged Joani back for several long minutes, then pulled back and nodded to Ulric. "Well, you're guys are certainly welcome to come with Omar and I. The Watchers are helping us get there, but there's not much we can do for that. The say they've found a place that they can't see into, somewhere where they can't go. So, off we're going."

Her offer was sincere, and if she suspected any duplicity from Ulric she gave no sign of it.

Joani shook her head slowly trying to muster a smile which didn't quite deliver how she wanted.

"We've got plans of our owns... pretty terminal plans. I just felt like saying good bye to you. And thank you for still believing in me. It means a lot to me, more than you can imagine.", there was a short moment of silence before she continued, "And can you do me a favour and tell Omar that he was the best partner I could have ever imagined leading the Paragons side by side? He saved my live once and I never had the chance to pay him back."

There was nothing more she could or wanted to say. The urge to move on was stronger than ever now. Maybe they would meet Andrew at the Warp, he was always good for a surprise and she wouldn't mind if he decided to come with them. Joani gave her husband a short side-glance and nodded briefly.

"Hey! Guys, wait!"

The voice was familiar, as was the face as the source came pounding around the corner into view.

Meredith.

She was dressed differently now. Some kind of button up blouse and a brown vest with lots of pockets and heavy cargo style pants and hiking boots. She even had a light, brimmed hat on. She looked like she was about to go on safari or something.

"Lorean said you were on your way out the second I got on board," Meri said with a grin. "I just want to say...thanks. Thanks for picking me up and...well, for not leaving me alone on that dead Earth."

She sobered and added, "I hope you'll find what you're looking for out there. And I wish I could say that if you wanted my help that you could just call my name or something...but I can't. I guess we won't be seeing each other again."

Meredith comes forward and offers her hand.

"Thanks for shopping with me, Joani. Thanks for everything. I don't know about anyone else, but you're my personal superhero, no matter what."

Joani was in two minds about Meri’s sudden entry and only hesitantly took the offered hand. “I’m… I don’t know what to say, Meredith.”

There was an awkward pause before Joani spoke up again. “So you’re leaving, too? I’m wondering why. Haven’t you found ‘home’ now? I thought this is what you wanted.”, her brows furrowed as she finished that sentence.

“You’re one of them”, she added with a cold touch to her voice and pulled back her hand. Suddenly Joani’s stance changed and appeared more hostile towards Meredith.

Meredith grinned and shook her head.

"I'm not! Not anymore. It's...kind of complicated."

She took a deep breath.

"Technically speaking, I'm a copy of Meredith. I mean, from my perspective, there's no difference. I remember it all. I feel the same way. I spent an hour just talking to myself, to verify that I was still me. The only difference is that all the Watcher crap in my head...the memory engrams, the triggers...it's all gone. I'm just a nova...a regular old nova like you guys. The other Meredith is still a Watcher."

Her smile fades a bit. "She figured you guys wouldn't trust her, so she didn't come. Plus, she's done that melding thing. That was the deal she made with Fiona. The Watcher who made us. Make me...a Watcher-free Meri...and she'd do the melding."

She shrugs. "Anyway, I'm taking off too. Just came up to get my things and say goodbyes, and Lorean tells me you're on your way out too."

Meri pauses and chews her lip for a second. "I guess, after everything that's happened, I'll understand if you don't trust me. I just...didn't want to go without saying bye. Because this is it, you know? So..."

She inhales, holds it, and lets it out in a long sigh.

"Good bye, Joani. Good bye Ulric."

As everyone converged on the transporter room Morgan and Lorean strode in as well. Lorean looked like always, dressed casually in her normal comfortable clothing, but Morgan was dressed for travel. Like Meri, he had hiking boots and strudy clothes that looked like they would hold up under harsh conditions. It was just his eufiber formed into that shape of course, but it was obvious he would not be staying.

Morgan smiled at everyone, "Looks like we're all taking off eh?" The smile faded as he looked at everyone, "We've been together some of us for over 80 years. It's going to be an adjustment not seeing you guys around." He reached out and shook Ulric's hand and gave Joani a hug. "You guys be careful wherever you are going. I'm going to a timeline where novas develop, but far enough into their past to study how the gene develops and expresses. Probably ancient Egypt. With Andrew's research I should be able to develop a cure to taint before it becomes an issue. The watchers are providing me a small ship of my own, but without Lorean's abilities or her secret." Morgan reached over to sqeeze the physical Lorean's arm in a friendly way.

Looking to Andrew, "Thank you my friend for all the work you did to make us better. Perhaps I could have developed the cure on my own, but I'm sure it would have taken centuries longer than you if ever. Of course neither of us could have done it without the rest of you guys." Morgan's eyes mist up a bit as the moment of leaving has come, but he quickly clears his throat and pretends that everything is normal. He gave a quick hug to Meri and Kyria and shook Omar and Andrew's hands warmly.

It wasn't that his voice was cold, but rather he could have made it so much warmer. He had in the past, for Meri, making her feel welcome and rescued from her hellish homeworld. That was before it was all reveiled to be a lie - that she was really one of them and in no danger, just playing their little game with the rest of us yet again. Yes, his voice could have been warmer.

"Well, good luck with that. I hope you really are free," though I doubt it" and you can get on with a normal life. Or as normal as you can with whatever memories you have been given."

If she hadn't been a weapon of the Enemy, Ulric would have had more pity toward her. As it stood, he couldn't wait to be away. Merit would go on and no doubt spread their toxin to another time line. There was nothing he could do about that now.

He reached out, shook her hand and gave her a light slap on the shoulder, "Godspeed and Good luck to you, Meri. Take care."

It made his skin crawl to touch it, but it was a little thing that had to be done. He had to pretend that she was human, because that is what they wanted to pretend. Ulric had to act normally too - until he got out of here.

Andrew looked around and listened as people said their goodbyes. He seemed distracted though, almost, but not quite, like he had been before his first round of taint cure. As Morgan spoke Andrew smiled at his old freind. "I'm sure that you have it in you to do so but," he looked down the hall again, "But ... dammit, hold on." He paused and after a moment another Andrew rounded the corner in a full sprint and came to a skidding stop. "Ah! Finally. You know, having a dozen or more of me is great but I still don't move from point A to point B any faster." He took a small box from the other Andrew as the two merged. "I ... I have some gifts here for you all."

Andrew smiled again, "I've been rather busy these past couple of weeks, running myself on overdrive but I've got everything here and ready." He pulls a vial out of the box and hands it to Omar, "The cure. Its a new formula, it should be able to cure you one hundred percent with that single dose, if not, well, it'll get you most of the way there."

He pulled a similar pair of vials for Morgan and Meri and then a small crystal which he handed to Morgan. "Its organic crystaline data storage, the taint cure formula is there. I trust you to use it wisely, I fear that while the cure will solve many problems it could potentially create as many more in the wroing environment."

Andrew went back into the box and removed three more vials. He handed them to Steve, these two are the cure, I know you two have suffered the least but a leg up is always welcome, yes? The third ... well, I suspect you know what it is, I'm not sure how quickly it will fix the problem, but I suspect you two will not mind the required physical therapy." Andrew stifles a laugh and set the box down on the floor.

"Well, I suppose this is it. I'm sorry you all had to put up with me and worry about me, I've thanked you as I can. Now I think, for the first time in a long time, I will put aside science and try to live my life."

Joani smiled warmly at Andrew. For the first time after so many years she was feeling comfortable around him and felt something close to pity for him and his choice of life-style. He deserved a break most of them all.

She had seen a sparkly in Ulric's eyes when they considered the option taking Andrew with them. There was no reason to distrust him any more. Not like she had when those nightmares had plaguing her.

"Andrew - why don't you come with us. I'm sure you're going to like the place I picked. You can settle down enjoy your life and if you get bored you can pay us a visit. I'd appreciate it, honestly.", her offer was genuine - he could tell that. She had something like hope in her eyes a faint reminder of the innocence she once possessed and what had been her most remarkable trait when their journey had started decades ago.

Morgan was nearly overwhelmed by the vial but far more so by the data crystal. "Andrew, I don't know what to say. Thank you. This will be an immense help to me. Probably still take me few years to understand it." He grinned at his friend and warmly shook his hand.

As he did everyone felt ever so slightly the old familiar drop in the pits of their stomachs. Lorean had jumped for one of her final times. Her hologram appeared, "Joani, Ulric, we have arrived at your destination. It is two days before the plane crash. Where would you like to be transported to? Andrew, will you be joining them?"

Andrew was surprised by the turn of events and it showed. "Umm, I ... I don't know." He turned to Ulric and Joani, "Are you sure? I mean after everything I figured, well I guess I figured that most everybody would want to put some distance between themselves and me." He looked sad as he spoke, "I wouldn't even blame anybody who did. I was the one who pushed you all away after all."

"Andrew, I wouldn't have offered it if I didn't wanted it. I think you deserved it. I understand now what you've been through and I still consider you my best friend.", she reached out to cup his cheek with one of her hands. It was ages ago that she had so much trust in him.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
As he did everyone felt ever so slightly the old familiar drop in the pits of their stomachs. Lorean had jumped for one of her final times. Her hologram appeared, "Joani, Ulric, we have arrived at your destination. It is two days before the plane crash. Where would you like to be transported to? Andrew, will you be joining them?"

"My parents house - they have been expecting me to return. I just want to get acquainted with the place again. I think about 2 Miles away will be enough. We'll find a place to stay there until the crash."

She looked back at Andrew with expectation in her eyes.

"Come with us," Ulric asks warmly. You can reach out for a normal life, or any other life you would want to create. It's an opportunity ... and you will have friends, I promise you."

"Besides, I would like to know more about the cure as well. How knows, the world we are on could end up with a Nova Age all it's own. I need to look to the future."

"But come with us. Go out in the world a little, away from conspiracies, world-crushing powers, and the like. Breath some non-recycled air and look at the world in a new way."

Andrew considered for a moment, "It has been ages since I could trust myself. I'll need a lab though, my own taint poisoning is too severe for this formula to cure in a single go. Lorean could you ..."

"Of course Andrew, just tell me where you would like it."

Andrew smiled, "Allright then, I'll join you. I recall fondly my discussions with Albert, perhaps I can start again, and push him toward greater heights!"

It didn't take a genius to see the difference between how Ulric acted with Andrew, and how he acted with Meri...and Meri was, in fact, a genius.

The smile she offered Andrew and the other latecomers was considerably more subdued than the exuberance she'd greeted Joani and Ulric with, and she didn't try to actually speak to them. She just gave them little waves, and slipped out the door, feeling guilty but not really understanding why.

But this was still a good day for her, even if the goodbyes hadn't gone as well as she'd hoped. As she walked off down the hall, a spring slowly crept back into her step. The universe...maybe even universes...were plenty big enough to find new friends in, after all.

-----

On Earth, in the pyramid that Genesis had made, Meredith stood on a balcony. At her side was Fiona...the one who would, in years to come, create her.

"Now do you understand?" Meri asked her maker.

Fiona's face was as smooth and serene as ever, but her eyes were troubled as she slowly nodded.

Lorean paused only for the briefest moments and smiled at Andrew. "I've placed the lab you had here aboard me, into the interior of a building there in the location you requested. You will have your very own lab that you have been used to for all these years. Of course it will just be a plain old lab, I am not leaving anything of myself behind to intrude on you all." She looked sadly at Joani and Ulric, "I wish you all the best. I am sorry that learning the truth behind things did not bring you peace but instead brought you more heartache. I hope you find peace here on this timeline."

And with that without the need to step onto the transporters themselves Joani, Ulric and Andrew vanished from the room. Lorean's hologram smiled sadly at everyone else. "Now that I am aware again of who I am there is no reason to abide by the self imposed limitations that I had been under all this time. No reason to wait hours for another jump." The dropping sensation happened again as Lorean moved to another timeline. "Morgan, you are next, you and my other self."

The hologram of Lorean became solid and she gave herself a hug. It was a bit strange to see after all these years the two versions of the same individual hug like this. They separated after a moment and Holo-Lorean in turn hugged Morgan and whispered in his ear, "Take care of her for me. She doesn't have Our gifts, she is just a nova like you and the others and I won't be there for her anymore."

Morgan cleared his throat and said in a husky voice, "I will."

Physical Lorean smiled at her other self and at the others who had not yet departed and gave hugs all around and said her goodbyes. "Be well everyone."

At the last moment Morgan looked over at Steve and Amber, "I know you two have your own future ahead of you now with the ability to actually start a family, but would you like to come with us? We are going to Earth back before the rise of civilization, about 10,000 BC. I want to study the nova/psiad genes in the time before they are expressed. Plus, I'd like to see what Earth will become with a little boost to medicine and technology. What do you say?"

Quote:
At the last moment Morgan looked over at Steve and Amber, "I know you two have your own future ahead of you now with the ability to actually start a family, but would you like to come with us? We are going to Earth back before the rise of civilization, about 10,000 BC. I want to study the nova/psiad genes in the time before they are expressed. Plus, I'd like to see what Earth will become with a little boost to medicine and technology. What do you say?"
Steve glanced at Amber and she looked smug. Apparently once again pre-cognition had triumphed over quick thinking. Steve responded with good humor,

"We'd be glad too."

Morgan smiled and clasped Steve's hand warmly. "Good to have you guys along. It will be good to have a couple more people to talk to and the group splitting up won't seem quite so sad now."

While Morgan was talking Lorean settled for the simple expedient of hugging Amber and then walking back to Morgan's side. "It's good of you both. I guess we'll have to have a bigger ship though." Lorean looked to her Watcher self, "Do you mind?"

Watcher-Lorean grinned, "No I don't mind at all. Just remember it will have basic weapons, defense and ftl capability, but it will have only a basic computer AI but none of my nova abilities. It's actually based off one of the designs that Advantech was working on before we left on our last journey. It will be comfortable and it has a decent cargo bay which I've loaded your wealth into that we've been holding onto for all these years. I've also taken the liberty of adding in some other basic goods you might fight useful that won't be available where you are going. Some raw materials for manufacturing tools and things you might need."

What had been simply a hologram for more than a normal human lifetime now had flesh and blood and Lorean the ship, hugged each of the remaining crew members and it was obvious that she was tearing up. After the last hug she just said, "It has been an honor to journey with you and learn again who I am. You have all been good friends. Now you should all go before I start to cry." She smiled and the four travellers found themselves aboard the bridge of a new ship.

"Welcome aboard. You may give me a name at your leisure, but for now I have been instructed to serve you and accept commands only from the four of you. Please be seated for travel." The voice was not accompanied by a hologram and did not have a personality, it was impersonal and lacked the living quality that Lorean had. The bridge was set up with four stations and controls at each station for manual operation of the ship. The front screen lit up and showed Lorean floating in space alongside themselves, their own ship looking tiny almost like a life boat next to the titanic. As the smaller crew of the mundane ship watched a huge warp formed in space in front of the ship. The ship accelerated through the warp and exited in space above the Earth. The warp closed and their long journey across the multiverse was at an end at least for a time.

Again the AI spoke in it's flat computer voice, "I have been instructed to inform you that there is a beacon that can be used one time and if she is able, Lorean will come. I am to caution you that it can be used only one time and also that there is no guarantee that she will be available when she is needed. It is not for emergencies, but for you to be picked up should you grow tired of your current situation.

Archived