Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4b: Fox's Refuge

Dawn OOC

Jasmine looked for a moment as if she was going to tell her that no, it was okay, she could change to Violet if she wanted to. But a moment of hesitation crossed her face as she considered the idea of what having Violet "show her" the bedroom might be like. She nodded slightly, flushing just a bit, and stepped behind Jennifer.

"Sure.. that'd be great. Just hold still a moment."

Jennifer could feel Jasmine's fingers loosen the bow tying the bikini top. She gently re-tied it snugly against Jennifer's smoother back, and did the same for the strings that secured the bikini top around her neck. The touch was gentle, and soft, but not necessarily sensual. She stepped back around, and looked her over.

"There.. you look a little more.. comfortable."

Jasmine smiled sheepishly at her.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gabrielle shook her head and interjected quietly. "He's not. He's just a man. It doesn't take gifts from God to make mistakes. Or to lead others astray."

She looked up at James curiously, "You call yourself a 'nillist'? What does that mean?"

Jennifer stood up and led the way to Jasmine's quarters. "You should be missing nothing. I left you some of my clothes, stuff that I don't wear and would never fit Violet. I used to be a model, you know? I had tons of clothes before Z-day hit, most of it is useless these days, though." there was a hint of sadness in Jennifers voice.

"If I had Violet's figure back then I would've lost my job.", Jennifer tried to make it sound funny but failed to deliver.

After a short awkward moment she continued the tour, "Anyway, you can use the showers as you please. If you get hungry just let me or the girls know and we make something for you.", Jennifer opened the door to Jasmine's quarters and presented her nice and cozy little room. There was a small table with a light on it, a large wardrobe a comfortable couch and a bed. It wasn't the Ritz but it was something she could call hers. Some private space just for Jasmine. Jennifer handed her the keys to the door. "In case you want some privacy. Violet has a key to all rooms, though."

Jennifer smiled at Jasmine and hoped she liked her new home.

Jasmine took in the whole room, then turned back around and smiled happily at Jennifer, taking the keys.

"Thank you so much.. yes, it's wonderful. I feel a bit bad, honestly.. this is probably much better accommodations than everyone else gets. Surely I can do something to help out around here, maybe contribute in some way, beyond the help I'll be doing for the Captain? I know we're friends now, but.. I feel bad accepting this without working for it. This just isn't that kind of world anymore."

Priest looks to James and smirks. To Myf he says,

"Yeah, some of us are keeping track of the most disruptive elements. James here is the most hated man in the complex, but most of the people are happy with Fox's rule. The main problem here is, now that they have shelter and food, is women. They aren't a lot of women and James here has four of the best looking ones all to himself - Violet included."

"If you James takes in another woman, there will most likely end up with someone being dead," Priest comments sadlly. "It has gotten that bad here."

"Be careful walking around the compound after dark, Doc. There hasn't been a rape yet, but let's not risk one."

"Me and mine fort up together and our women doen't go out alone, ever."

Myfwany grimaces. It always came down to that with people. But that was how things worked...you could spend a whole life struggling against nature only to fail, or you could work WITH it and get something done in the process.

"Okay, good to know. Have you done a census yet? Do we know who's who, and who's married to who? In particular you need a birth count and death count, so you can track your population."

"Don't worry about it for now, Jasmine. Make yourself comfortable first. Then we see what you can do to make up for it. You've earned a vacation first. Be my guest, settle down and learn to live not only survive. After that I can offer you a job. I've got a business to run and I could need your help.", Jennifer was glad that Jasmine took things so well. On the other hand, who wouldn't in her situation?

"Shall I stay or...?", Jennifer was about to turn away and give Jasmine some privacy.

Priest shakes his head and looks to Fox.

"I know Fox's people keep track of who comes in and who leaves, but I don't think there has been an actual census."

He gives a shrug,

"I imagine something like this is bound to happen though. The March of Civilization and all, we are going to be required to have some kind of ID and records kept of who is who, does what, and has such and such education - get people back to work."

Jasmine nodded slightly, taking that for enough of an answer for now. She shook her head slightly.

"Thank you so much, Jennifer.. but if you don't mind, I am.. exhausted. I think I'll be much better company once I've gotten some rest, and if we're going on this trip tomorrow, I should be ready for it."

She hesitated for a moment, tilting her head again as if she was studying her.

"That took guts, you know. Telling everyone what you could do, so that you can help those people.. it's really admirable. Hopefully with you there, we'll be able to avoid a lot of casualties.. who knows what would happen without that kind of help."

"Thank Priest - he made me think over a lot...", Jennifer looked down to the floor as if she had a bad conscience. "I think I've got a lot to make up. Take care honey, and sweet dreams."

Jennifer turned around and left heading for her own quarters, when she opened the door she had changed into Violet again. Hopefully James would return soon, they had to talk.

Jasmine closed the door behind Jennifer, and sighed, glancing around the room. After months of hiding, and traveling, and constantly moving, here she was. With her own room, a place to rest, and to be by herself without having to constantly be on guard.

She thought back to the last room that had been her own. She remembered the pictures of musicians and actors on her walls, stacks of CDs and textbooks and homework lining the dressers. The comparison between her life then and her life now almost made her want to weep. She'd had everything teenager girls dreamed of except her health. And now, her health was the last thing she had to think of. She was the healthiest person she had ever known - she didn't even have to eat or sleep half the time. But everything else was gone.. her home, her friends, her security.. even her parents, most likely, though she still held out a little hope.

But those thoughts didn't do her any good, not right now. For now, she was going to try to focus on what she did have. A friend, a safe place to stay, and a bed she could finally get some decent rest on. She opened the wardrobe full of clothes, in search of something to wear at nights, and started to get ready for sleep.

Myf grins ruefully. "The dirty secret of society is that all that paperwork that everyone bitches about is what keeps it running. Things work better when they're organized, and it takes at least a certain amount of bureaucracy to keep things organized. If you're serious about starting a school and a library, you'll find that out pretty quick. At the bare minimum you'll need names, ages and some idea of who is who's parents. That's just for medical needs. Anything you get on top of that just makes it easier."

Priest gives a dramatic sigh and raises his hands.

"I bow to the inevitable."

His brow quickly furrows. As he speaks he points toward Jon.

"That guy over there, well he looked really odd, so I checked him out and he seems pretty ... odd - spooky even. Do you know him?"

He worries his lower lip.

"I think there is something different about him. I mean, from the rest of us."

Priest looks down at Myf and his eyes sparkle in their depths.

"Like you too, it appears."

Click to reveal..

(19:15:04) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 7d10 and gets 10,8,7,6,2,5,5 first dice is the Mega, so 5 successes on Quantum Attunement. 21q left.

Originally Posted By: Priest
Priest looks to James and smirks. To Myf he says,

"...James here is the most hated man in the complex...
James lifted an eyebrow to Myfwany and said, "Only by the men. Women like me just fine."

[seduction On Myf] wink

Quote:
"If James takes in another woman, there will most likely end up with someone being dead," Priest comments sadly. "It has gotten that bad here."
James says, "We're already there. Pretty soon someone isn't going to take 'no' for an answer and I'll have to kill them for it." James sounded like he'd regret it but viewed it as a necessity.

Quote:
"Be careful walking around the compound after dark, Doc. There hasn't been a rape yet, but let's not risk one."
James added, "He's right."

Myfwany found herself in the middle of a lot of attention suddenly. She nodded at Priest and said, "Oh, he's Jon, yes. We met at Lost Bridge. He's the reason I'm going to Dallas in fact...well, his lab is at least."

Then, with shock, she realized Priest had realized that she was 'different' as well. And Jon! Jon?

Before she can respond to that, she's taken aback by James' little offhand remark. His smile is unexpectedly flirty, and she finds herself wondering if he's -actually- interested in her, or if she's just seeing what she wants to see. After all, the man had Violet!

And then Priest whirled on James, shoving the larger man back and demanding what he was doing.

Disbelievingly, Myfwany found herself wondering if these two men were actually going to fight over her. What the hell was going on?!

Dan walked over between both Priest and James. He laid a hand on each of their shoulders calmly. "Settle down, both of you. We Can NOT afford to fight amongst ourselves." His voice carried the authorative tone of a Marine Career officer and the look in his eyes said he'd brook no arguements.

Unlike everyone else present, Dan was a trained killer, a skilled soldier. He looked to James. "Go ahead onto your place, Violet's waiting for you. That's not a woman any man would be wise to keep waiting." He did hs best to sound approving, and concilliatory.

He then looked to Priest. "Throttle back Priest, we've all had one hell of a day. Everyone's still adjusting to things, go back to your team tonight and get a good night's rest. if we're gonna do tomorrow what it sounds like we are, we'll all need it."

He looks around at the others, hoping nobody else gets any cute ideas. He looked to Myfwany and nodded. "Things were not always like this."

Priest's eyes glow brightly and he spins on James his eyes sparkle from within as he stares through James. Then, feeling suicidal, he pushes the huge bruiser.

"What the hell are you doing to her?"
James was somewhat confused about Priest's reaction and replied "Who?" while he mentally reviewed what had just been said.

Quote:
Priest: "If James takes in another woman, there will most likely end up with someone being dead..."

James: "We're already there....
James added, "I am not involved with Rhonda."

After Dan intervened James said, "Walking away now" and did so.

"What huh?" Priest took a step back from James and let Dan settle between them. He shook his head.

"No ... I saw something ... exude from you and latch onto the Doctor's aura. I saw you do something."

He eyes James suspiciously,

"Now it may have been subconcious, but you were trying to influence her mind."

Click to reveal..

Keeping it running for another round: 19q left. (23:35:15) ChatBot: (Adrian) rolls 7d10 and gets 6,7,8,6,1,9,1 = 3 successes.

"I know what I saw, and I know you aren't involved with Rhonda. I've been telling my women to be careful around you and yours."

"Violet and I had an agreement," he hisses under his breath so that only James, Dan, and maybe Myf can here. "You threaten my people and I'll ..." find your fucking weakness and fucking kill you, you bastard, " ... find a way to get even."

The Captain was just about to intervene when Dan stepped in. Go Marines! He was disturbed by what Priest said though, was Violet not the only one using mojo on people. If James and Violet both were trying to build a harem he would have to take action and that would be bad for everyone. He really hoped James wasn't going to force his hand.

Once everyone was calmed and James was walking away he moved closer to Mwfwany, Priest and Dan. "Thanks Dan, you reacted before I could, I was deep in thought here about what the Doctor was saying."

He glanced over to the Dr. and spoke, "To answer your question, we have a list of the names of everyone who has come through the camp, but just a list of names. We're up to about 235 people or so I think. Not much to build a society on, but I expect we'll continue to grow as we become more self sufficient. A real census is a damn good idea. It would be a great thing to know what skills and knowledge everyone has. As for what you were getting at in your original question. This place is mine, I was stationed here when the plague hit and had the presence of mind to lock it down and fortify. Once things settled out a bit I started stockpiling hard to get goods that would be hard to come by. Then folks started finding the place, and a couple buddies of my from my old days in the special forces managed to get here. That would be Ger and Markham. They help me run the place. The rules are pretty simple. Anyone that stays has to agree to follow my rules. I don't ask anything of people that isn't necessary for survival, and now to rebuild society. I'm in charge, but I'm not dictator or tyrant. Anyone that doesn't like the rules is free to find another refuge, I don't force labor, or service on anyone to build monuments to my glory or anything like that. Walls, school, library, and other things necessary to live, those are the things I require folks to help with. Basically my rules boil down to Play nice with others, be a productive citizen of the community, and Don't do any thing that would endanger the community." He smiled, "As for the folks like us, there are only a handful and most of them are not even actual residents, Priest and Dan here use the place as a base of operations, but neither of them have made their intentions to settle here known. Jules just arrived yesterday. And Violet and James well, they are a different story." Morgan looked concerned as he looked in the direction James had gone.

"I'll add that the more of us supermen or whatever you want to call us we have here, the safer we'll be and the better chance we'll have of building something of a society again. I do hope you will consider staying when we've settled things with these other groups Doctor."

"There's a lot of people I visit," Myf tells Fox. "But...we'll see. I think you've got a big problem growing here, and growing fast. You need to get people busy...people who are sitting around looking for things to do are much more likely to find time to get pissed off over things. And you might consider setting up some kind of enfranchisment system. A...citizen council, or something...so people feel their voices can be heard and their complaints addressed without having to resort to anything extreme."

Jules watched James go, frowning. This was getting complicated and scary. And why the new doctor? There were other, more lovely women.

She's a doctor. She'll have power here. Jules felt a little sick at the thought. She hoped it wasn't the case, because if he went after someone, to use them for what they could give, that made him a very bad person in her book.

She shivered as an echo of the past haunted her; darkness and mold and a sneering man. Those had been men who had used sex to control, but this had been pleasure, not power. The thought that there were men like this here was a horrifying and unwelcome concept.

Without thinking, she stepped closer to Morgan. She was only vaguely aware of what Myf was saying; she was mostly lost in the past.

"Yeah, that's a pretty decent idea. With the projects starting that I announced just now, I think people are going to be busy for a good long while to come. But a council is not a bad idea. Maybe call it the advisory council. I don't want people to get the impression that this is a total democracy after all, just that they have a voice that will be heard. Eventually as it grows it might become a democracy, but not until our basic needs are settled and we are established and growing." Morgan noticed Jules step closer but didn't really think much of it, it seemed natural to him. It did bring her to his attention though, "Mwfwany, this is Jules, Jules, Mwfwany."

Myfwany smiled at Jules and offered her hand.

"Hi there. Nice to meet you."

She then looked back at Fox.

"So...all right. That's all I have for now. Is there a place where my friends and I can stay, or should we set up tents or...? And what's the plan as far as Elijah goes?"

"Tomorrow we go and deal with Elijah. We will fly. Dan and I can both fly and we are very strong. We can carry those who are going. We did it a couple days ago, there is a small platform that we tied ropes to and everyone going can sit comfortably on the platform. Think of us as your own flying carpet. It will make the trip very quick compared to driving and it will allow us to go cross country where we won't face unwanted eyes or obstacles. If all goes well we can be back here in two or three days. The longest part will be Violet and Gabriel deprogramming the cultists. Assuming they can be deprogrammed, otherwise we might be back tomorrow night."

Dan nods at Fox's comment. He was worried about Priest's reply to James, but he understood it. A man had to defend what was his.

He smiles. "Morgan, after all of this is done, There's a matter or two that we need to discuss." It was a clear shift in ettiquette, Dan never used Fox's first name. What was going to be said was not for mass consumption.

"I think Priest has a concern or two to air as well, so we can include him in it." He nods once to Priest.

"If you want i can show our new arrivals to the empty section over in D-Block in the barracks. Those rooms haven't been touched, and there's more than enough room for everyone there."

Dan's own place was in D-Block, and he and Lorraine were essentially some of the only residents. It also meant that Dan was willing to sorta look after the new arrivals to an extent, a distinction only Lorraine had ever garnered from him.

"What huh?" Priest took a step back from James and let Dan settle between them. He shook his head.

"No ... I saw something ... exude from you and latch onto the Doctor's aura. I saw you do something."
*Aura???*

(Dan walks up)

Quote:
"Violet and I had an agreement," he hisses under his breath so that only James, Dan, and maybe Myf can here. "You threaten my people and I'll ..." find your fucking weakness and fucking kill you, you bastard, " ... find a way to get even."
Priest gets the last word as James walks off.

Myfwany raises an eyebrow at Dan's mysterious problem, but she nods as she realizes she's still an outsider here.

"I'm sure that'd be fine. Anything's fine, really. If you'd show me there, and give me directions to your infirmary, I'll make myself useful."

She gives Priest a look. "When you're done here, I'd like to talk to you if that's all right."

Finally the doctor nods at Dan, ready to go.

Morgan figured this was going to be a busy few days to come and that didn't even include the mysterious talks Dan and Priest wanted to have with him. He suspected those must be important as well, neither man would request a private chat for something trivial, and Dan the Marine Captain had just used his name, that was a first, it must be important indeed.

"Sure Dan, get them settled and we can have that chat."

Several minutes later Morgan was settled in his office chair in the HQ building with Dan and Priest in chairs with him. The 'office' was open to the rest of the HQ but there was noone close to overhear, "So what is it you gentlemen want to discuss? And Priest, if it isn't part of what you wanna talk about I also want to know what you saw that made you go off on James. If he's doing some kind of mojo on the women I need to know."

"We need to keep that Jon character close by too. Something not right about him, but maybe he should have a chance to explain himself before I start jumping to any more conclusions."

"Thanks Dan," he adds to the Marine.

Once in the office, Preist waits on Fox to speak.

"I studied him and he's got some of the same mojo I saw with Violet. I saw his aura ... the thing that seperates us from the normal folk ... reach out and touch her head and heart, like it was looking for something. I don't know what he was doing, but I've only been able to see this kind of stuff since the WalMart run."

"It was enough to freak me out. I don't know it if its enough for you to make a judgement on. I know I'm going to be studying waht Violet does at Elijahs so I can better understand it, now more than ever."

"About that Jon characer. There is something about him and I think you should get an explaination from him, sooner the better. I don't think you want him staying here in the camp behind us while we are all away. That's my caution speaking. The man deserves a chance to tell us what the hell is up with him."

Dan nods. "Priest has the right of it, and has aired most of my concerns as well. Though I have another. Ife we do have to kill those people are you sure you want everyone to see it happen?"

"I really hope she can reprogram them Fox, but think about the implications of such a thing. What's to keep her from doing so again, from making them their servants? I will admit it is harder than hell not to fight James for her. If she truly wanted that sort of thing, she could have us all fighting over her. That sort of element is dangerous as hell. She's benign now, but the specter of what she can do will always be hanging over you here as long as she's here."

"For the record, You need to reign James in. He's got four women when most men here have none at all. It sure looked to me as if he was trying to pick up another. That WILL cause a riot amongst the regular folks here.

He looks at Priest and then back to Fox. "None of us wants to see that."

"As for Jon, we can let him explain himself, but we're really spreading ourselves thin. Leaving Jules behind makes sense, but you have to remember how the populace feels about her. Most think she was infected, yet got let in because her relationship to you."

"Myfwany adds something we drastically need, and housing her and the new group in D-block removes them from most of the populace for now to let them all get acclimated."

"Aren't either of you the least bit curious as to how all of this is happening so suddenly. We've been at this since Z-Day. Priest and I have roamed all over the area, and I came all the way from the east coast. Yet now all of a sudden we double or even triple the number of empowered personnel at this enclave, get alerted to no less than three threats, and at least one hidden laboratory researching the Zombies? It may be just my training but it's odd as hell to me."

"If we're gonna carry them all to Dallas we won't be able to carry a whole lot of gear. We need to bring some form of transport for the people, unless you don't think we'll be bringing any back." There was an unspoken question there, one he knew needed asking.

Fox considered their words, "Ok. I agree with you both about your concerns. Both Mwfwany and that Jon fellow will be going with us on this little excursion so we can keep an eye on him and see if we can figure out what his deal is. I'll speak with him tomorrow as we travel. As for James, yeah, we do need to sit down and have an intervention with him. That's not something I want hanging over this mission however., we're going into danger and we don't need to be fighting among ourselves. Priest, I can't see what you see so keep me informed on what you see. Maybe if things settle down some you can try and teach me that trick, in the mean time you'll have to be our eyes. Are you two guys ok with waiting till after we get done with Elijah, and the New Mexico raids before we have that heart to heart with James and Violet?" He was hoping so, he didn't want to go into battle worrying about the people next to him as much as the ones in front.

"Keep in mind though, he might not even be aware of what he's doing, I don't know about you two but all my abilities I've just instinctively used them. So try not to judge him too harshly. Once this is all over we'll have to all sit down and discuss what is and is not ok when it comes to how we use our abilities. Creating a harem is not ok if it happens as a result of manipulating people. I think after we see Violet at work we might have more of an understanding of how it's done."

"Oh, and this Elijah guy is up north around KC somewhere. If we need to we can find vehicles there, but I'm not planning to babysit them on the drive back here. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I want them coming back with us. We don't need religious zealots in our midst even if they aren't bent on the destruction of the human race."

Finally he addressed Dan's most disturbing point, "Yeah, all this happening in the course of three days is pretty much twilight zone kinda weird, but then again a zombie plague is pretty messed up too and I would never have believed that possible half a year ago. One thing I don't believe though, I don't think this is some kind of 'hand of God' thing. It may be one hell of a series of coincidences, or it just may be that we are reaching some kind of critical tipping point, but either way we have to deal with the cards we've been dealt."

Once outside Gabrielle hugged Caleb in thanks. "Sorry about that. It's just very....disorienting still. I think I just to need to take a little walk."

She smiled at them and began wandering away from the HQ, curious to what the rest of the settlement looked like. It was amazing to be able to walk around outside, at night even, without worrying about being attacked by zombies.

Dan nods. "We'll wait then. He looks to Priest. "I also want to learn that trick." "I'm going to go make a round of the newcomers and make sure they're all settled. I take it we'll leave at first light?"

He stops at the door. "I don't know if either of you are trained for demolitions, but I am. if you want, I'll take a small kit with me, in case we need it for something."

"We'll handle everything as it comes at us. I just don't want us to catch us unaware."

Myfwany waves to Gabrielle as she and Dan walk past. When he shows her to the room she'll stay in, she puts her gear down in it, and follows his directions to the infirmary.

Once there, she strolls around getting a feel for the layout and noting who's there; both patients and attendants.

Morgan agreed whole heartedly. "Yeah, bring your kit. They taught me in the Special Forces to improvise, but screw that. Better to be prepared than improvise." He grinned at the other man in the shared understanding of having gone through the intense training they had. Dan, we'll leave at first light, let the new comers know to meet at the armory before dawn. You, me and Priest will have a chat with that Jon fellow and see what his deal is before we get going."

Chapter 4b is formally closed. You may continue to post if you have stuff to say. If it isn't used, I'll archive and lock it in time.

Xp - for those there for the full run, 11 xp, lots of good rp. For those joining later, 5 xp.

Everyone was awesome. Thanks guys!

Archived