Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4b: Fox's Refuge

Dawn OOC

"Well, if they are brainwashed they will have to be deprogrammed. If they aren't they'll just take his place and continue his insanity victims or not. Anyone here able to deprogram victims of brainwashing? The only choice here is to fix them or kill them. The cult leader will have to die." He looks around for anyone to volunteer to help the victims.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gabrielle had been watching them all, her eyes going wide at the Captain's display of power. She had smiled then, sure that this was where she was supposed to be, but her smile faltered at his bleak pronouncement about what would be done with her friends and family.

She started to speak several times before she knew where to start, "They will be listening for the radio broadcasts that Beaver Lake uses. When they can tell that the tunnels weren't infected, that something happened and we were made to leave, Elijah will start planning another way. We," she motioned to herself and the three others, "they'll assume we're dead in the wilderness somewhere. If we return...if I return, unharmed and uninfected, it will be enough to shake many people's belief in Elijah. But that will not be enough. Many of the people there, most especially the men that Elijah most trusts, they want the world to end. They want to believe that this is the Tribulation."

She swallowed hard, thinking about her brother and her parents, "They will claim that I was taken by the Adversary, that I faltered and made a deal with him for my own life." She looked up at the Captain, "And they will start killing the rest of the flock to keep them from us if they think they are going to lose the fight. That is the kind of creatures they have become. Elijah is their prophet and his message is only death."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"Captain," she heard herself say. "I...need to take samples from you. From everyone who's immune." Focus on the essentials. The rest, the irrational stuff, that could wait. "I'm a pathologist. If I can isolate the mechanism of your immunity..."
James adds,

"Hold up. Several of us know we're immune, a few others only suspect we are. I've been bitten, some of the others, but any special who got bit and then died of it wouldn't be here talking about it."

Violet casually raised an eyebrow and said, "I may help, too. I think I can help them change their minds about all this. Honestly.", she was trying really hard not to imply anything sexual which was hard to believe seeing her half naked leaned against James.

After an awkward pause she added, "I can control emotions - make them friendly towards us or even hate Elijah. It's your call."

Jasmine turned to Violet, her eyes widening, and her lips parting slightly in surprise.

"You can.. control emotions?"

Was this why she trusted Violet so much after having known her for just a few hours? Was this why she had told her things she hadn't trusted to tell the people she had been traveling with for weeks? Was this why she always felt so.. so CALM around her? Her abilities were so different, so.. basic. Violet had mentioned James' abilities, and she had seen the Captain fly. But she had never thought there were other kinds of abilities, abilities that could affect people's minds, or emotions. Her own emotions flickered across her face as she warred with the concept. She wasn't sure whether to be angry, or scared, or relieved.

Well, it was out in the open now, what Priest had suspected all along. Though to think it could be turned beyond just lust was fearful in the extreme.

Violet had been honest, and that had to count for something. Now no one could say they weren't warned.

"This is good to know, V," Priest said cautously. "It will help us end the conflict without resorting to naked, brute force. Lives will be saved. Thank you."

He had promised to be her ally here, and he was keeping his word.

Morgan raised an eyebrow at Violets statement but didn't comment. That explains a lot. "Ok, So we'll go there and take out Elijah and his close supporters and let Gabrielle and Violet work on deprogramming them. Remember though, if they can't be convinced that he wasn't right then they will have to be put down for the safety of everyone. I hate to be so brutal about it, but we can't afford to let anyone live if their world view includes destroying the remnants of humanity."

He nodded to James, "Point taken on the immunity thing. I wasn't bitten before I learned I could fly, but I have certainly been in a number of zombie fights since then so I'm pretty sure I'm immune."

"Now lets make some plans. We will go up there, just a small group. Dan, Priest, James, Violet, Jasmine, Gabrielle, Myfwany and myself. Did I miss anyone?" He looks around for volunteers, then continues, "We'll fly the trip up there if you are all ok with it. We can cover a lot more ground faster that way and I don't really relish bein gone for too long with everything we've learned."

It all made sense now, and Jules felt her face flush with anger. Her weird reactions to meeting Violet - almost giving up her son to others to care for or almost going against his wishes to not turn. Then her being borderline alright with her idea for a bordello, when her heart cried out against such depravity in this haven she'd found. And those men - had she stroked their fires? Was this a game to her?

Oh, yes, it did make so much sense now.

Morgan's words knocked her out of her angry stare. "Did you want me along?" she asked him quietly. She wasn't sure if he wanted her there or here.

Violet sighed and looked at Jasmine and smiled at her just as warm and soothing as she always was with her. "Honey, I...", she paused and started over, "This is too important to keep it secret. Yes - I control emotions. There was a time I didn't even knew I did. James helped me a lot to get it under control.", she smiled at him and there was a sparkle in her eyes as she looked at her lover.

"I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings - that was never my intention. I truly want to help. There are wounds that can heal physically - but emotionally never will...", her eyes wandered to Jules and Jasmine. "I... I'm so sorry."

Violet raised her free hand to her face covering it and tried to suppress the sadness that swept over her. Tears were already falling down her cheeks and she sobbed quietly.

"Jules, I know you can handle yourself, but frankly that's why I'd like to to stay at the base. Ger will need someone helping to ensure people do what their are asked to do, and Markham, my head of security will need you to back him up as well. With me and the other supermen gone, someone might take it in their heads to do something they might later regret. With you here they will think twice. Are you ok with that?"

Jon listened with growing concern as the Captain made his report.

Destoyed a lab? Maddie could be in danger! I have to get back...now!

In spite of his urge to run home immediately, Jon forced himself to pay attention and focus on the rest of what was being said.

Mutant Strains of the Virus? Immunity! Super humans! My own cells don't react to the virus either but that is...their doing. These people don't seem to be carriers...

He listened as Mywany's fervor matched his own. He thanked whatever kismet had brought the two of the together. She would be ecstatic when he showered her 'his' facility...

Quote:
"Doctor, we are going to need some serious equipment to investigate this virus. Electron microscopes, Mass specrtrumeters, ... all kinds of stuff. And that is going to take power. Better labs tried and failed during the outbreak. What we have is more time, but we need to build up a base of scientific ability here first."

Sadly, she looks at the ground.

"We can't just ask for the Cure and expect it to appear."

Jon cleared his throat, very loudly and obviously, and for the first time, he was noticed as all eyes turned towards the imposing figure standing a head above the rest of the crowd.

The man is tall and powerfully built, with too smooth bronzed skin. He is dressed in camoflauge hunting gear, similar to but distinct from the BDU's of the other military men. His bald head and lack of eyebrows make his face look strange and somewhat alien.

"Ex-excuse me," he begins, suddenly feeling the weight of the eyes upon him.

"My name is Doctor Jonathan Albright. I arrived here with Myfwany earlier today. I am not a physician per se although there is some overlap. I'm really more of a scientist. Before the plague I was a head researcher in genetics and bioinformatics working on decoding the human genome."

"I..." he hesitates, feeling very uncomofrtable about revealing himself before this large group of strangers. He weighs it in his mind and decides that if anyone has appeared to be trustworthy it is these people.

"I have a lab. A very secure lab built like a bunker outside of Dallas. I have a partner there with whom I have been researching the virus. Actually it is a cocktail of several related and interdependant viral strains which would explain it's high degree of mutability. My goal is likewise to develop a cure and just like some of you I have been...changed in the days since the apocalypse. I am very concerned about reports of this rogue military group and what they could do to my research and my partner if we were discovered. I would like to propose an alliance. The allied use of my facility and resources in return for military protection of it's invaluable resources."

Jasmine didn't say anything to the Captain's statements, only nodded slightly. But she did glance over at Gabrielle briefly, hoping the delicate looking young woman was dealing with this alright. This wasn't just a bunch of strangers who wanted to destroy people, not to her.. it was people she had known, even some family. Jasmine thought about the terror she felt every time she imagined what might have happened to her own parents. Her concern gave her something to focus on for the moment, aside from her concern about Violet. But it was all becoming a bit overwhelming for her. She was so used to just thinking about herself, one moment to the next, without any real focus on how it affected anyone, or other people's concerns.. there was just so much to deal with all at once.

She listened to Violet, her face softening slightly as concern swept over her. Jasmine certainly understood not being able to control or understand what you could do. She murmured softly, and stepped out of the room. No one had really seemed to notice much about her anyway, with the exception of Fox's acknowledgement of her offer to help, and his promise to help her. She was overwhelmed with relief at his offer to help her get to her parent's house, she was confused about Violet's revelation and worried about her, she was concerned about Gabrielle and the people with the cult.. and she just needed a moment to herself to digest it all.

"If it's where you need me," Jules said, nodding. It was her job to be here when he wasn't, and she couldn't do that if she went with him. "That's kinda what we talked about."

So why did you ask to go with him? Jules had no answer for that, nor for the bit of disappointment she was feeling. There was a vague sense of urgency about him going as well, and that was confusing her. It had been a long time since Jules hadn't known why she was feeling the way she was. But she did know one thing - she didn't like that feeling, any more than she had when she was younger.

"Dr. Albright, as you just heard, we will be making an expedition to Dallas in the next couple days. I would be happy visit your facility and consider an arrangement after that time, but for now our first priority is to deal with the rabid wolf on our door step. That other lab I mentioned was associated with the group in Virginia, partner facilities of some kind according to the survivor. Her husband was apparently one of the scientists. Unless you are telling me you were part of their organization, I doubt very seriously that your lab is in danger. Would you care to join us in taking care of this immediate threat? The sooner we deal with it the sooner we can get to Dallas and visit your facility."

Morgan was glad that Jules took staying behind well. He really would have liked to have her along, but having her here was even more reassuring. At some point he was going to have to sit down and consider the issues that Violet's revelation raised. His first thought was to use her to keep everyone calm and focused on the tasks at hand but then dismissed the thought immediately. That would be slavery of a different kind and more insidious than the situation with the Cult leader or the sex prison in New Mexico. Nothing was ever easy.

Dan nodded as Fox spoke and for a breif moment the long dead embers of his own hope flared brightly, and he knew there was something that as a Marine, he had to do.

Then Fox named him as a member of the assault team to deal with the cult. Violet's revelation about her abilities made him slightly nervous, but he shrugged it off. She was no threat yet, even if she could bend men to her whim. Right now that sort of thing would prove useful. He caught the look on Fox's face and nodded once, knowing they were both thinking the same thing.

"Sounds doable, though I'm gonna need a moment of your time later." A concern popped up in his mind, one he knew he'd need to discuss with Fox later.

Myfwany rubbed her right temple as the plans were made. More and more she felt surreal, as if she might wake up any second.

"So wait...I'm sorry...I just have to ask. How many people here think they have...or..." She pauses and looks at Fox's desk. "...or have shown evidence of having abilities outside the normal human range?"

Reacting more out of social conditioning than anything else, Myfwany shakes Dan's hand. "Myfwany Shattuck. I'm sorry...this is just a lot to take in. I mean, the zombies show increased strength, and they're hard to kill, but I've never seen anyone who isn't infected do anything like that."

And then a memory jingles. She looks at Fox.

"Did you say something about a mutated strain?"

Priest looked to Jon when he spoke. Something clicked inside of him and the black clad man opened his senses to see if he was more than unusual. He was.

Click to reveal..

Activating Quantum Awareness for two rounds, one above and one below.

Things were making more sense now. He looked over at Jasmine and sure enough there was something there.

He walked over to Doc Shattuck and extended his hand.

"Hi. I'm Priest. It's my name, not a title and I think I can spot people who are special. Also, they look different and I'm starting to figure out how they might be different. I'd be willing to help you study this."

"Priest." Myf gives him a wry smile. "That's...actually fairly appropriate. Okay, Priest, help's good. First of all, since your Captain's clearly a man of action, I think we need to work up a roster of who exihibits what sort of abilities. Then we'll need to do full physicals, get benchmarks, and work up some way of testing their limits."

"But first things first, lets start with their names. We'll just use the Mark One paper, pen and clipboard."

James looked more than a little surprised (but not angry) at Violet's confession about controlling emotions. When she started to cry he hugged her for as long as she'd accept it.

"But first things first, lets start with their names. We'll just use the Mark One paper, pen and clipboard."
James said,

"James DeBeer. Ex-fireman. I can pick up cars and leap for miles. I don't tire easily, I can have sex... um... engage in physical activity for hours. I've got this blade I can summon." The blackly glowing blade appears briefly.

"I've been bitten dozens, maybe hundreds of times. I'm probably immune. That's less helpful than it sounds since I've no clue how you'd get blood out of me. My skin can't be broken, not even my tongue. If bullets bounce then so will needles."

Jasmine leaned against the outside wall, oblivious to the conversation still going on indoors. She tilted her head back to rest against the concrete, and gazed up at the barely visible streaks of cloud in the otherwise desolate sky. Down the street she could hear the sounds of people going about their business. There were the sounds of repair and maintenance being done to buildings in order to keep them livable.. the sounds of women talking as they went about chores.. the distant hum of a generator. She could hear the murmurs of conversation through the door behind her, and knew that, with a little effort she could hear every word that was being said. It was the only think she knew for sure she could do whenever she wanted, that she didn't blank out.. though whether that was part of her powers, or because subconsciously, she didn't want to remember.. she wasn't sure. Although now the idea wasn't quite so scary.. now that she knew there were people who could fly and people who could control other people's emotions.. her skills, whatever they were exactly, seemed okay, practical even. Useful. And these people wouldn't be scared of her, she was pretty sure of that.

But did she even want to stay here, after she found out what happened to her parents? Was that really her desire? Or did Violet just want her to stay? It seemed like her only option, after all. When she had been a little girl, she had always been told that if she worked hard, she could choose to do anything she wanted to. Then she had gotten leukemia, and all those ideas about what to do or what to be or where to live had flown right out the window. It had come down to two choices.. survive, or die. She had always figured that at least, if she could survive, she'd have her choices back again. But she had survived, not only the cancer, but the collapse of the world. And here she was.. no close friends, no doctors, maybe even no parents. But still.. no choices. Not really. This was the only place to be, the only place someone like her belonged. To go anywhere else, or do anything else would be selfish. To waste her abilities trying to stay alive and alone, instead of helping other people, that would be selfish. And if her parents, and her doctors, and all the kids she had practically grown up with in that hospital hadn't taught her anything else.. they'd taught her not to be selfish. So no matter what happened, here is where she planned to stay.

So there she sat.. her head tilted back to rest against the concrete, as she gazed up at the barely visible streaks of cloud in the otherwise desolate sky. Down the street she could hear the sounds of people...

Jon shifted uneasily and it is clear from his body language and tone of voice that he really doesn't really want to delay.

"Sure, I guess I can come and help...can we make it fast though? I don't want to leave Maddie alone, in spite of what you say. There might be other groups who would try and raid the compound if they found it. Being tucked away helps and the place is formidable but not to any kind of organized military group."

Violet could feel how the overall surprise and realisation about her confession swept through the assembled supers like a wave. Maybe she shouldn't have said anything and kept it to herself?

When Jasmine left Violet wanted to follow her but something told her the girl wanted to be alone. She'd come back to her after she had sorted things out and then Violet would try to regain her trust.

James' deep voice brought her out of her reverie and she focused her attention back to the present. She would wait for the others before she talked to the Doctor. There was too much on her mind right now and sharing more about her powers was something she didn't like to disclose to everyone.

"I only offered to help deprogramm the followers - I have no intention to go to that place unless that's the only way to make it happen. I'm not a warrior - I don't know how to shoot or brawl. That last mission was terrible enough."

Violet shifted her weight from one foot to the other making her hips sway a little. And hoped there was a way for her to stay here and still be useful.

After a few minutes to herself, Jasmine stood up and dusted herself off. She drew in a deep breath, and stepped back into the room quietly, making her way through the crowd without really drawing any attention to herself if possible. She didn't know what to feel about what Violet had done or not done to her, but she HAD been kind to Jasmine, and offered to help her, which she HAD done by bringing her to the Captain. Her feelings towards her hadn't changed.. even if she wasn't sure about their legitimacy. She stepped up to Violet and James, and nodded politely at James before murmuring quietly to Violet.

"It sounds like they're pretty much done here.. and it's been a really long day. Do you think it would be alright to go back to the club? Maybe you could show me that room, so I could get some rest.."

She hadn't heard the discussion going on between Violet and the Captain, with the rest of the crowd talking amongst themselves in the room.

When Jasmine returned Violet was a little surprised and relieved. She had expected her to go away and return eventually later - very much later.

Violet reached out with her hand and gently stroked Jasmine's hair. "Sure honey. Let me just talk to the Doctor real quick, alright?"

Without waiting for an appropriate moment Violet adressed Myf and said, "I'd like to speak in private with you when you got time. Its very important to me. I'll be at my club, thank you Doc."

Looking up at James Violet smiled at him and slowly unlocked herself from him "Stay or come - up to you. I'll be waiting with Jas for you."

She gave James a kiss on his cheek and carefully retreated with Jasmine from the scene taking her by the hand. Once they where outside she sighed as if a huge weight got lifted off her shoulders. "I can't tell you how much this means to me that you've come back, Jas. There is something I got to tell you, something you need to know but I can't show you that right here."

Violet's eyes sparkled again with a magical light and she seemed to dimly glow from within in the dusk.

Click to reveal..
subconsciously activated Bioluminescence

Jasmine nodded slightly, her eyes widening a bit at the display. Knowing people have abilities is one thing, but seeing Violet glow was only the second display of power she'd witnessed. She walked side by side next to Violet, not really feeling the need to speak. She was, by nature, a quiet person after all. When they reached the club, she opened the door quietly for them, and stepped in behind her. She waited patiently for Violet to tell her what was on her mind.

Myfwany eyes the glowing Violet for a moment, then nods.

"All right. Come and get me when you're ready. I'll be in whatever room or bed the Captain sees fit to let me use while I'm here."

When Violet and Jas make their exit, Myf goes up to Fox.

"Don't take this the wrong way," she says in a quiet voice, "But what is the relationship here between people who have these abilities...and people who don't?"

Once inside Violet locked the doors behind them and carefully led Jasmine upstairs to her quarter.

"I don't know if you still trust me or not.", Violet started to say, "Well actually I do know if I wanted to but that's not the point."

Violet paused before she picked up her line of thought. "Would it matter to you if I shared a secret with you - something to regain your trust? I don't want you to question your emotions everytime you're around me.", god, this is complicated

Violet looked at Jasmine with hope in her eyes. Everything she did seemed genuine and caring for Jasmine's wellbeing.

Jasmine looked at Violet for a long moment. Violet could see the confusion swimming in her eyes, and she bit her lip for a moment. Then she nodded slightly.

"If you can promise me something, Violet.. I mean.. I know what it's like to use your abilities.. like an instinct. That's what mine are like - instinctual. So if you're trying to calm me down, or whatever.. I guess I get that. But.. promise me you'll never make me do something against my will? I.. I don't want to lose that part of myself. If you can promise me that.. I'll hear what you have to say."

Violet nodded at Jasmine. "I... I promise, but I must tell you that I already did something to make you feel more comfortable. I... I wanted to help you Jas. I felt your pain and I wanted you to give the feeling just for once to be save and around trusted people. I didn't mean to force that on you.", she tried very hard to not breach Jasmine's private space again.

"If you have doubts about it, tell me. I really want to be your friend. Maybe even more, like sisters.", Jasmine could tell that Violet was restraining herself.

Taking a deep breath Violet stepped away from Jasmine towards her bed. She turned around and looked at Jasmine waiting for her response.

Jasmine relaxed somewhat, and nodded. She stepped closer to Violet, and reached out a hand to take hers, squeezing slightly.

"I'd really like that too.. to be like sisters. I.. never had one. Thank you for understanding."

She let go of Violet's hand, and sat down on the bed, pulling one of her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms around it, the other leg still hanging off the edge of the bed.

"So was that your secret? That you'd tried to make me feel more comfortable? Or is it something else?"

Violet looked at Jasmine and slowly shook her head. "No - it is something no one is supposed to know. There was an argument earlier, before you arrived about me and James... and Jill and Jo. Our style of living is questioned by quite a few. If you asked around people would tell you of Jennifer - the Manager of my club. Of course everyone believes she is part of this "thing" that is going on between James, me and the girls.", as Violet spoke the glow slowly fainted and disappeared.

While she continued talking Jasmine noticed how Violet's shape slowly changed and with that change her indescribable "aura" faded away. Violet's hair got shorter and darker until it reached a brunette tone. Her rather dramatically voluptous figure shrank until she could be described as being rather petite. Her new frame was much smaller. The woman now sitting next to Jasmine could still be described as beautiful but she paled in comparison to Violet.

"Violet and I are the same person.", said Jennifer looking at Jasmine through dark brown eyes. Even her voice had changed as much as her face. It was impossible to find any common trait between the two women. As the transformation was complete the subtle broadcast of sexual energy Violet seemed to radiate was gone, too. Jennifer was just as normal as any other female Jasmine has met before.

"I'm Jennifer, nice to meet you, Jasmine."

Jasmine gasped, and her face was awash in shock. She closed her eyes briefly, and ran a hand over her face, as if by doing so she could make a little sense out of the situation. Then she stood up again, and slowly walked around Jennifer, looking at her from all angles. She stopped, facing her.. and then she laughed slightly. And then again, a little louder. And then she sank back down onto the couch, laughing again, a slight edge of hysteria in her voice. After a moment, she shook her head, the laughter trailing off as she looked up at Jennifer/Violet.

"I'm sorry, no - I'm not laughing at you, please don't think it. It's just that everything is so.. I mean, flying men and controlling emotions, and.. Jennifer, right? Jennifer.. I think we have officially entered.." She paused dramatically. "The Twilight Zone. Wouldn't you agree?"

She smiled at her for a moment, hoping she hadn't come across as rude. It's just.. it was all such a shock!

"So.. Jennifer. Are you.. the same person? Like, do you feel the same way, or think the same things? Or are you like.. I don't know, two people in one? Should I treat you as different from Violet? Or.. the same?"

Jennifer looked a bit confused and then irritated by Jasmine's reaction. Instinctively she covered her chest with her arms since the bikini-top she was wearing was now a loose fit on her. When Jasmine sat down again and stopped laughing Jennifer relaxed a little.

"This is a bit embarassing actually. I don't really know how to answer that question. There was a time it felt like being two people but it wasn't. It seems as if Violet is an aspect of mine only dramatically "enhanced".", Jennifer was struggling for the right words. It was odd to watch her and hear her speak. Jennifer seemed shy and not a bit as confident as Violet. Emotionally they felt like to different people to Jasmine.

"But we are the same. I prefer being Violet, though. When I change into her it also changes my behaviour and... well. You know what kind of an effect she has on people - both on men and women. I never thought I was into women, but when I'm Violet that is not an issue. She swings both ways.", Jennifer wasn't sure how Jasmine would take that and she wished she could at least sense her emotions to better understand how Jasmine felt like.

"If you don't mind... I'd like to, ahm... I mean. Is there anything else you want to know from me?", Jennifer wanted to change back as soon as possible, she felt uncomfortable, almost exposed but she hoped it would help her gain Jasmine's trust without having to resort to the use of her powers.

Jasmine listened, watching her, noticing how ill at ease she was. When she finished speaking, Jasmine shook her head, serious again.

"No.. no other questions. I mean, I can't say I understand totally. I think anyone who said they did would be lying, either to you, or to themselves. I had this shrink one time.. this psychologist, who thought he knew exactly what I was going through. And nothing he said was what I was really feeling. He wasn't me.. he had no way of knowing."

She looked Jennifer over one last time, and smiled a little weakly.

"I kind of like you this way, though.. you're a little less.. overwhelming. I've never met anyone like Violet before. I guess it feels more like being.. equals. Violet is wonderful, just.. she's so MUCH. I'll have to get used to it.. I hope that's okay. Please don't be offended.. you trusted me enough to tell me about this, and you barely know me. I.. I think that means I can trust you too."

Upon hearing this Jennifer smiled and laughed even a little. She was relieved that Jasmine had taken this without totally freaking out. Jennifer knew she was gambling a very risky game but she had achieved what she wanted, Jasmine trusted her genuinely without the help of Violet.

"I thank you, Jasmine. So I take that you prefer having me around than Violet when I show you your room?", Jennifer stood up and fiddled around with the bikini-top. "Could you help me try to make this fit?"

James watched Jasmine and especially Violet walk off but he didn't comment. Walking up to Fox he said quietly,

"Anyone still alive should be focused on staying alive. A cult leader able to send people out to die... could be one of us. Another Nillist."

When Violet and Jas make their exit, Myf goes up to Fox.

"Don't take this the wrong way," she says in a quiet voice, "But what is the relationship here between people who have these abilities...and people who don't?"

James interjects,

"I dare say we're loved, hated, respected, and resented. So it varies."

Archived