Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4b: Fox's Refuge

Dawn OOC

Jasmine nodded slightly, on slightly more familiar territory now.

"Yes, apparently there's a man by the name of Captain Fox who runs this place.. hence the name, I suppose - Fox's Refuge. He greets all the people who are new to the camp, but I've not had the chance to meet him yet. Apparently, he and several others are away on some sort of raiding mission for equipment and supplies. They like to stay prepared around here, I think."

Jasmine glanced back over towards Violet, looking thoughtful for a moment. Violet certainly seemed interested in the newcomers, and she wanted to learn more about them. But she didn't want to make too many assumptions. She turned back to Gabrielle and the others, and smiled a bit.

"Violet helped me when I first got here, she's very kind.. since Captain Fox isn't around yet, let me introduce you to her. She can tell me where to get you set up, or who I should talk to. And we'll take you for food, first. The rest can come after."

Jasmine glanced at the Jeep for a moment, but seeing nothing that looked like any sort of personal possession, she turned and motioned for them all to follow her. She led them over towards the woman that the female doctor was still speaking with, and waited for a brief lull in the conversation.

"Violet? I hope I'm not interrupting. This is Gabrielle.. and Caleb.. Maxine.. and Samuel. I was wondering.. shall I show them down to the mess hall for food? And perhaps you could point me in the direction of someplace they could settle in, and get some rest?"

She let that last bit trail off in a bit of a question, leaving Violet to pick up and run with it where she chose. She certainly didn't want to assume Violet wanted to invite them all back for food - it was certainly a larger group than she had been with. And Violet hadn't invited all of them, anyway. Only her.

(Edited with permission of involved player for continuity's sake.)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"My party's clean," she said absently. She doesn't let Violet completely change the subject though, and quickly adds, "So why don't you tell me why you think you need a doctor? Doesn't look like anyone else is around, but if you want to move inside or someplace more comfortable, that's fine."

Violet nodded and put on her perfect smile again. Myf was interesting and somewhat mysterious. Violet could tell that something was on her mind but she obviously wanted to share that with the Captain only.

“I’d gladly take that offer once you’ve talked to the Captain. I didn’t mean to be pushy. If you don’t feel like waiting at my place you can surely talk with his second-in-command. They’re all military here.”
Originally Posted By: Jasmine Gentian
Jasmine glanced at the Jeep for a moment, but seeing nothing that looked like any sort of personal possession, she turned and motioned for them all to follow her. She led them over towards the woman that the female doctor was still speaking with, and waited for a brief lull in the conversation.

"Violet? I hope I'm not interrupting. This is Gabrielle.. and Caleb.. Maxine.. and Samuel. I was wondering.. shall I show them down to the mess hall for food? And perhaps you could point me in the direction of someplace they could settle in, and get some rest?"

She let that last bit trail off in a bit of a question, leaving Violet to pick up and run with it where she chose. She certainly didn't want to assume Violet wanted to invite them all back for food - it was certainly a larger group than she had been with. And Violet hadn't invited all of them, anyway. Only her.

Violet was obviously glad that Jasmine had managed to check back with her. She was slowly getting nervous about the newcomers, especially since that large man named Jon acted so strangely. Violet was used to men ‘acting up’ around her but Jon was clearly off the scale. Did she repulse him?

That thought was washed away when Violet saw Gabrielle. She wanted to answer Jasmine’s question but had to swallow hard to keep her awe in check. Gabrielle radiated pure innocence and saintly beauty. It was like a total contrast to Violet. Where Gabrielle appeared angelic Violet felt more like whore all of a sudden. It certainly put a dent on her confidence.

She regained her composure quick enough to not arouse much suspicion about her reaction and apologized, “I’m sorry – of course they can grab some food at the mess hall. Newcomers are usually provided with food and water. Why don’t you lead them there Jas? I’ll be waiting at my place for you.”, Violet’s eyes had a hard time not staying on Gabrielle all the time. Her innocence burnt itself into Violet’s confidence making her feel attracted and intimidated to her at the same time.

“I’ll walk with you the part to my club and wait there for you, honey.”, Violet concentrated on Jasmine again smiling at her and offering a hand. She put Jasmine between herself and Gabrielle practically shielding herself from the saint beauty.

Jasmine smiled, and squeezed Violet's hand slightly, allowing herself to bed led towards the club. The bright letters on the outside of the place indicated that inside was probably a bar or dance club of some sort, but Jasmine seemed to pay it no mind. She gave Violet a sisterly kiss of affection on the cheek before pulling back. Something about Violet made it seem natural, though she had known her such a short time.

"When they're done eating, is there someone who'll tell me where they should stay, or sleep? I saw where the boys were, and Anne and Marion. It was a building of some sort, and the boys were all in one room. They were going to put me with Anne and Marion in another, if you hadn't invited me to stay at the club. I don't know how that was decided, though.."

Jasmine seemed to care about the new arrival's comfort, and more at ease around the young blonde woman than Violet was. But so far, nothing had really piqued her curiosity too greatly.. they just seemed like a regular bunch of survivors so far.

„I’d suppose they’ll get the same courtesy like your friends did, hon. I’m sure if there are any special requests that the Captain will take care of it once he is back.”

Putting on her best smile Violet side glanced at the small group gathered around Gabrielle as if she was the holy mother herself. That woman was certainly not as beautiful as Violet but it still kept her busy – she needed to get some distraction and refocus on Jasmine. Violet mirrored Jasmine’s sisterly behaviour and kissed her gently on her forehead cupping her face in her hands. “Don’t take too long, will you?”, Violet’s words rang again with that promise she gave her earlier. Her voice carried the gift of solace. Then she turned around and disappeared inside the club.

Once inside Jill gave Violet a rather angry look. “About time you came back. I’m working my ass off while you keep chasing some fresh meat. I don’t even know why unless…”, suddenly Jill changed her foul mood and added with a less aggressive tone, “… she is like you? Is she?”

Violet knew she had neglected Jill too much lately and walked to her embracing her gently. “I’m sorry my sweetheart.”, she said kissing her carefully on her beautiful full lips. “She is not like me, but close enough. She has special powers.”

“She has potential – and I think she’d be a fine addition to the place. Her appearance is more exotic, should appeal to some of the other guys and that’s something I need to consider.”

Violet stroked Jill’s blonde hair and breathed in her scent closing her eyes. “There are a lot of newcomers – I think some of them are supers but I’m not absolutely sure about that. A good handful of women among them – that should keep the wolves at bay. Some more asses and tits to ogle over will keep them distracted and busy.”

Without saying more about it Violet lifted Jill off the ground and carried her upstairs. She owed Jill some attention and she was willing to make it up to her – it helped her wash away the uprising insecurities the angelic Gabrielle had infected her with. It bugged her that she couldn’t stop thinking about that woman.

Jasmine watched Violet disappear into the club, then turned back to Gabrielle and the others, as well as the other woman Violet had apparently left in her care. Lacking anything more engaging to say, she motioned quietly and led them down the path she had followed earlier with the boys. It led them further into the complex, past some of the shantytown-style accommodations and towards the actual working complex of the base. This area looked more like parts of a working military base, and there were solid buildings amongst all the makeshift dwellings. One of the smaller ones had the doors propped open, and as they got nearer Gabrielle, Myf and the others caught the scent of simple spices and grilled meat wafting through the air.

Jasmine led them through the open doors, and they were immediately assaulted by the sounds and smells of what appeared to be a military-style mess hall. Men and women of various ages and sizes ate together, gathered around round tables and seated on various types of plastic or metal chairs. Some of it looked original, and some of it looked salvaged, but no one seemed to notice, or care. The chatter was loud, but not deafening, and Jasmine guided them over to a cafeteria-style line that had several options laid out on warming trays, and a couple guys who trailed off their conversation as the group approached. Jasmine made no move to get food for herself, but motioned them all through the line. The food looked simple, but it smelled delicious, even for those who didn't need to eat. And the guys forked it out to whoever asked pretty generously. Jasmine, meanwhile, found an empty table and motioned them over to it when they looked to be done.

"So.. where are you guys from? You've got an awfully big group."

Her tone sounded curious, and not in the least suspicious. She was used to dealing with zombies, after all, not humans. She had no reason to think anything ill of the group.. she just seemed surprised at their number. After all, her group of six had only survived because she had been with them..

(Edited because I realized Jas doesn't know Myf is a doctor. laugh )

Myfwany gratefully starts putting food on her tray...careful not to be too greedy, though the smell is reminding her how hungry she is. Underneath her mind kept working though, fretting at that sense of oddity like a dog with an old sock. It had occurred to her that the only people she'd seen who seemed to have status here so far were women; young, beautiful women at that. Did 'Captain Fox' have a harem? The weirdly close kiss-kiss between Jasmine and Violet sort of suggested that. It wasn't blatantly sexual, but it seemed to indicate a degree of casual intimacy.

Or maybe you're just repressed and can't appreciate two women with a strong relationship.

Jasmine's question shook Myf from her thoughts, and she smiled. "Yeah, that's kind of new for me, actually. We all met at an enclave some distance from here. Heavy, heavy security. We all left at the same time, and we'd met each other by then, and I have my truck...so I offered to take them with me at least as far as the next settlement."

She shrugged. "Maybe farther, if they like. I've been on my own for awhile. It's nice to have company."

"Yea, I know how that one goes. I was on my own for.. awhile. It's nice to interact with people again. Though.. I almost feel like I've forgotten how sometimes."

Jasmine smiled a bit sheepishly, and shrugged.

"Maybe you and your party could at least rest here for a couple days before you head out again. That truck looked pretty cramped for six people. It'd give you a chance to stretch your legs and relax. Maybe you can trade for any supplies you need around here, or there might be someone to check out your truck for you, and make sure it's still up for whatever distance you've got left.. I'm not sure exactly, I'm new here myself. I was planning on traveling to Dallas.. but I've heard it's pretty rough there. I'm going to need to give that idea some.. thought. Anyway.. like I was telling Gabrielle, apparently Captain Fox is out on some sort of supply run with a bunch of other men. I haven't met him yet.. I'm curious to meet someone who can pull a place like this together. It's quite an accomplishment."

Jasmine hesitated, and shook her head again, a bit amused.

"I think I was just rambling at you, I'm sorry. I told you I've forgotten how to interact with people."

Gabrielle felt eyes on her as they spoke with Jasmine and her friend Violet. Many of the eyes were male and lustful, but Gabrielle had been used to that even before Z-Day or her resurrection. Violet, on the other hand, was a strange kaleidoscope of emotions and Gabrielle's first real indication that she wasn't just picking up non-verbal clues from people. She was nice, very much so, but Gabrielle could feel very conflicting and confusing emotions pouring off the beautiful woman. It was enough to give her a small headache and she walked with them in silence to the cafeteria.

Inside the mess hall Gabrielle smiled as Jasmine rambled. It was good that people were starting to pull together in places like this; she just hoped this Captain Fox would be more understanding than Dick of Beaver Lake. Her little entourage dug in to their food with abandon, although Caleb watched her and tried several times to get her to take a plate. She demurred, "I'm really not hungry. I haven't been since we left and we shouldn't take more than we need from here. They've been so generous already."

Caleb frowned in worry and traded looks with the other two in their mini-group. "Okay, but...well, just don't push yourself, okay? They offered and...." He trailed off, looking unsure, and the three of them went back to eating quietly.

Jasmine nodded at Caleb's words, turning back to Gabrielle. She remembered how much better eating something had made her feel, even though she hadn't NEEDED the food... or maybe that had just been Violet, she wasn't exactly sure.

"You really should eat.. even if you're not hungry now, you never know when the next time you're going to be able to eat is, especially if you're thinking of leaving. Go on, get something if you'd like.. they seem to be pretty self-sufficient here, and I don't think they're running short on food."

Myfwany had plenty of experience dealing with babble. Nervous people tended to do it, and most people in a hospital were nervous. She nodded and 'mm-hmmed' and let the words flow around her, paying attention to the gist without getting bogged down in every single phrase.

"She's right. Eat while you can. Especially if you want to come with Jon and me to Austin. That's a long ride with no settlements that I know of between here and there."

Myf looked at Jasmine then and asked, "Where -do- they get their food? I didn't see any farmland or livestock, and if visitors are so rare you can't be getting enough food through trade."

Jasmine shrugged slightly at Myfwany's question.

"I don't really know - like I said, I just got her myself. And by "just" I mean this morning. I arrived here with a group of other people a few hours ago. I was only there to help greet you because Violet was curious.. I think she likes to keep track of what's going on. But she seems pretty busy, and I don't have anything to do until this Captain Fox shows up.. so I thought I'd go ahead and show you in, get you something to eat. It's what they did for me and my group when we got here this morning."

Jasmine hesitated for a moment, knowing it must seem odd to these people that she'd only been here a few hours. She'd acted so casual around Violet, after all.. but she didn't really know how to explain the trust the beautiful woman had inspired in her. It was more than just the fact that Violet had promised to try and help her, and that she had been so kind.. she just wasn't sure WHAT else it was. She shook her head.

"I know it must sound odd and all, but.. well, Violet's been very kind and has promised to help me with something very important to me. So I don't mind helping her out a bit in the meantime."

Or kissing her, or...

Myf shut that runaway train down in a hurry. It wasn't her business what, or who, Jasmine did in her spare time.

"Well thanks for showing us around," she said. "It's bigger than it looked from the parking lot. How long are you planning to stay for?"

Jasmine glanced down for a moment at the table. She had been idly fidgeting with her fingertips, a nervous habit she had developed during years of having to sit still during routine doctor's exams and various tests. Something about the woman's demeanor seemed to bring out that trait in her.

"It depends on what happens when I meet Captain Fox. That's part of what Violet's helping me with, as much as she can anyway. I.. I have family that I was separated from when everything happened. My Mom and Dad. I'd like to figure out what's happened with them.. one way or another. I might come back here either way, if I can find them, or.. not. I don't really have any more appealing options."

(Edited because I realized Jasmine doesn't know Myf is a doctor yet. laugh )

Gabrielle quietly made her way back to the food line and picked up a small plate of fruits and nuts and a mug of tea. She really wasn't hungry, although the food smelled delicious, but with all the worry and complex emotions whirling around her at the moment it seemed best to keep people happy.

She caught the last of Jasmine's words and she sat back down and spoke softly between sips of tea. "I have people that need rescue as well, though I know where they are. My parents and brother are being held in thrall by a man named Elijah. He is....misguided or evil and should be stopped either way. Perhaps we can help each other? Where was the last place you knew where your parents were or where they might have headed in all the confusion and chaos?"

Her eyes were serious and compassionate, but the other three that seemed to be her followers shifted uncomfortably as she spoke. Maxine nearly interrupted her, but Caleb put his hand on her arm and shook his head. She relented and went back for seconds at the buffet line.

Jasmine listened to Gabrielle quietly, though she noted the behavior of the other three. She mulled it over for a moment, then shrugged.

"Dallas. They were in Dallas, last I heard. I'm not sure where they might have headed to, I'm hoping to find a message, maybe.. directions. Something. They probably think I'm dead.. if they're not.."

Jasmine trailed off quietly, then shook her head firmly, displacing the horrific images that were swamping it. She was going to deal with that the same way she'd been dealing with everything since the world had exploded. As it happened.

"The only other family I know of was in Kansas City, and that's where I came from.. they didn't go there. What about this Elijah person? Where is he, and your family? Is he back at this compound you came from?"

The three got even quieter, if that was possible, and hunched over their food.

"No." Gabrielle's tone was soft and had some undercurrent of emotion that was hard to read. "The flock....well, the people that follow Elijah, they're a bit to the north of there. A day or so by ATV." She sighed and seemed to debate saying more. Her eyes flicked over to Myf, as if seeking guidance.

"He runs a cult," Myfwany says brusquely. "He brainwashes his followers into becoming weapons against other human enclaves."

Though her tone was measured, there was anger pacing behind her words, like a tiger in a cage.

"He's why I need to talk to Fox. Captain Fox. Elijah's tactics, used against the security here, would be devastating."

She looks up from her tray at Jasmine, and for a moment her eyes are cold with fury and the promise of retribution. Then she blinks and smiles, and the sun comes out from behind the stormclouds, so to speak. Whatever that anger is for, it's not Jasmine.

"So...Dallas. That's basically where I'm going after this. Jon has a place in one of the suburbs..."

(OOC - Is Jon here too? Hee.)

Jasmine took a moment to absorb what Myfwany had told her. As it registered, she drew in a sharp breath, and her eyes flickered over to Gabrielle, and the three huddled around her with a new understanding. She must have survived this cult somehow, and these other three with her. She wondered if they had anything to do with Elijah's "tactics". Then she glanced back at Myfwany and nodded slightly. The older woman seemed to trust them, and Gabrielle seemed so kind.. so peaceful. She would have to trust that, for now.

It would have been inconceivable to Jasmine a few months ago that someone would take advantage of people in situations like this. She had spent so much time being protected and taken care of. Her family had received help from the community, and from the church for her medical expenses, though they had worked hard to need as little as possible. She had heard stories occasionally on the news, but her mother never really encouraged her to watch it. She told her she had enough to worry about just surviving than to have to worry about all the bad things that happened to people in the world. She knew about history, and science, and math.. and all the things she had worked so hard on to not fall behind in school. But she had known precious little about the way the world truly worked. For as hard of a life as she had had these last - was it seven years, now? - she had still seen a lot of the best of humanity, and it's kindness. She glanced around slowly, at all the people surrounding her. She supposed this was the best in humanity too.. people grouping up, helping each other, facing their fears. She thought of Captain Fox, who was apparently out collecting equipment or supplies or something with his "men". When she finally spoke, after several long moments of silence, it was more to herself at first than to those sitting at the table with her.

"I suppose the worst of humanity must have survived as well.."

She shook her head again, another habit she had acquired since Z-Day. It was like it took a physical effort to shake the negative thoughts out of her mind, they were so overwhelming. Then she turned back to Myfwany, a look of concern in her eyes.

"You should definitely tell Captain Fox as soon as he arrives. I'll let Violet know you have something important to talk about when he gets here. You should certainly meet him before I do - I have no such dire news to share with him, though I have a bit for you, I'm afraid. I've heard Texas got some of the worst of it. I don't know if you drove anywhere near Oklahoma City on your visit here - I certainly HOPE not. The suburbs there weren't affected too badly, though. I think it's much worse in Texas. I've been told that the areas in and surrounding Dallas are pretty much a dead zone. If you're going there.. as I am considering.. you're going to need backup, I think. And lots of it. Apparently Captain Fox leads raiding missions for supplies and equipment. Violet thought it might be possible to extend one to Dallas, but she made no promises, only that she would talk to him for me. Fox has a team.. he runs this place in a military manner, it would seem, and I think he has some.. skilled people, assisting him. You'll probably want to talk to him about that, before heading out.. your intention to go there, anyway. You'd be taking an awfully big chance, even just to the suburbs."

Jasmine's voice faltered a little as she spoke about "skilled people".. she wasn't sure how common of knowledge that was, and she didn't want to reveal any secrets. She also didn't want to come off sounding like a loon. She still didn't know how abundant these "supermen" were, and while Violet had made it clear they were part of the rumor mill around here, she didn't know whether it was her place to tell about them or not. But she sounded firm at the last. The cities were definitely no place to go without special assistance, from someone like her, or otherwise. And so far even her track record for keeping normal people alive in the cities was a whopping zero out of four. Not anything to brag about, by far.

Myf's bun of red hair bobs absently as she eats and listens to Jasmine's admonitions. She looks up and swallows, then comments, "Yeah, pretty much any metro area is overrun. The higher the population density, the worse it is. Dallas-Fort Worth was huge, and packed, so it's going to be bad alright. But Jon got out, so hopefully he can get back in. And I haven't been rattling around the Midwest this long without having anything to defend myself with." She grins at that.

Jasmine listens to Myf as she speaks, and shrugs slightly at the end, though she smiles back a little.

"Well, you're free to do as you wish, of course. But if there are others going into Dallas anyway, you might want to consider waiting. There's strength in numbers, after all. But in the meantime, perhaps you might want to break for the night at least? Should I speak with someone about getting a place to rest and get cleaned up? I've no idea when Captain Fox is supposed to be back."

She turned to Gabrielle and the other three that seemed to huddle around here, even as they were sitting at the table.

"And the rest of you.. are you planning on going with them to Dallas? Or are you planning on staying on here? I can speak to someone about getting you permanent accomodations, if you'd like."

Gabrielle thought about that and glanced over to the others. She seemed about to speak when Caleb shook his head sharply. "We're staying with you," despite his youth and usual subservient attitude it was obvious that arguing with him was out of the question.

She sighed, "Well, we need to get as many people out from the sway of Elijah as we can. As soon as we can, but I don't know that we four can do that by ourselves." She looked around the cafeteria again, taking in the security and relative ease of the people here. "It would be a nice place to stay, after we gathered at the others. We'd need to ask Captain Fox, though. Both for help and for taking in so many."

Jasmine nodded, and stood up, glancing around the dining hall briefly for someone who looked like they might be in charge of something. Spotting someone, she turned back to the others at the table.

"Please, stay here and finish your food.. take your time. I'm going to try and find someone who can get you a place to stay for the time being.. I'll mention the things you've told me to Violet, so we can get you aquainted with Captain Fox once he gets back. Or maybe there's some sort of second in command you can speak to. If you need any assistance, I'll be at Violet's club.. you can't miss it. I don't know how much I could do for you, but if I CAN help, I'd be happy to. Just let me know."

She turned, and briskly walked over to a man standing near the entrance. He was dressed in normal clothes, but he had the air of someone military. When Jasmine spoke with him for a few moments, he glanced their way and nodded politely to them before turning back to Jasmine. She finished her conversation with the man, and headed out of the building through the doors they had entered by. Once outside, she picked up the pace to a brisk jog in the direction of Violet's club. It was only as she was openihg the door to the club that she realized she had never found out WHAT this Elijah's tactics were.. only that it involved other people. She called out, and her voice projected through the unfinished areas of the club, and up the stairs to the bedrooms and living spaces.

"Violet..? Violet, are you here? It's urgent."

Gabrielle picked up the orange on her plate and began methodically peeling the fruit. "There are fifty-three members of the.....there, not counting us here. We boarded up the Mary Queen of the Universe hospital in Hays and mostly lived on the second floor. It's men for the most part, like it seems to be everywhere."

She laid the peel, still one piece, back on her tray and began to pull the sections apart and eat them slowly as she spoke. "It's well defended and guarded: men with guns that believe the world is over so they have nothing left to lose. Elijah will paint us as infidels, at best. He'll claim we're demons, more than likely, and no one there will hesitate to kill us. We're supposed to be in Heaven already anyways."

She paused in her eating, holding the last wedge of orange lightly in her fingertips. Her eyes were both said and fierce as she looked up at Myf, "He'll say the same of you, if we tell him what happened. If we even ever got the chance to do so. He doesn't want salvation for man. He doesn't want to know that God has given the Earth hope. He wants the fire and ashes of Armageddon in which to burn his mark on existence and prove himself to the Lord."

Myfwany nodded and rubbed her temples as she tried to keep her head clear.

"Are there any others like you? People who might listen to reason if taken away from Elijah? Or...if Elijah is taken away from them?"

She hesitated, then rephrased it. "People who can be saved."

Myf looked up, still clutching at the sides of her head.

"Gabrielle, look...you're entitled to your beliefs, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to drag me into them, all right? Especially given that the origin of those beliefs happens to be the same man we're now discussing rescuing people from."

"I mean...doesn't it bother you that you're still...speaking the same kind of language now as you were when you were still being brainwashed? Don't you want to be free from -all- of it? Be the woman you were before he did this to you?"

Gabrielle was just about the finish off the orange wedge when Myf spoke. She was silent for several long and very uncomfortable moments as the table waited for her response.

"Elijah is misguided because he believes that murder and destruction are the will of God, not because he tries to follow the will of God. I had faith long before the world was shattered, Ms. Shattuck, and I don't know what I would have done, how my family would have survived, without it. I will never want to be free from seeking out or acting upon the will of God. It is the very purpose of our existence and brings us exaltation and joy when we find it. I cannot be the person I was before because I have changed. I am not the person I was six months ago, nor the person I was earlier today. We have all lived through too much and I have lived through death." Her tone was quiet and intense, low pitched enough not to sound loud but she didn't seem concerned with being overheard.

She regarded the other woman with a serious and compassionate gaze, reaching out to gently place a hand over one of Myf's. "What is it you are wanting to be free of?"

The question catches Myfwany by surprise, and for a moment she can't answer it, can't even think of an answer for it. Her mouth just dangles open as if she'd been punched in the stomach. But she hadn't spent years in school for nothing, if not to BS with the best of them.

"Okay, I want to be free of people who are trying to use this notion of 'god' to justify their worst excesses. All through history it's been that way, and it's not changing now, and that more than anything should tell us something about the value of this idea of god, and how maybe we'd be better off without it."

"Now I admit I can't explain what happened to you," she adds. "But that is not proof of any god. All it means is that I am flawed...I don't have the knowledge, or the equipment, or any of what I'd need to make the observations that would have told me what happened. That's how things work. No observations, no explanations. But that doesn't mean the scientific method is invalid, and that we should just turn our backs on two hundred years of progress."

She looked at her hands and a note of desperation crept into her voice. "I want to be free of unreason. Madness. Just because it works doesn't mean it's not madness. I want to be free from how everything...everything...talks..."

She trailed off, looking like she was near tears for a moment; lost and afraid and without recourse.

The three down the table from Gabrielle stiffen as the words pour from Myf, expressions ranging from anger and defensiveness to guilt and doubt. Gabrielle on the hand didn't seemed bothered at all.

She stood up from her place at the table and wrapped her arms around the doctor. She didn't say anything, didn't refute Myfwany's thoughts on God or spout some liturgy about the nature of faith. She just held her and offered her unconditional comfort to soul in pain.

Once outside, she picked up the pace to a brisk jog in the direction of Violet's club. It was only as she was openihg the door to the club that she realized she had never found out WHAT this Elijah's tactics were.. only that it involved other people. She called out, and her voice projected through the unfinished areas of the club, and up the stairs to the bedrooms and living spaces.

"Violet..? Violet, are you here? It's urgent."

Jasmine heard some giggling and then muffled voices before the door opened and Violet stepped out. There was another shape behind her that briefly held Violet’s hand and then disappeared into the darkness of the stairway. Was that Jill? And was she naked?

Violet smiled at Jasmine as if the sun was just rising. She had changed from the too tight tank top into a too small white bikini top that was hopelessly outmatched in its attempt to cover Violet’s abundant bosom. Violet radiated with life and energy and happily came closer to Jasmine giving her a little kiss on her forehead again. On second look Violet appeared to have just come out of bed. Her wild mane was even wilder but still fell in beautiful strands around her face and upper body. Her complexion was healthy and her eyes almost glowed.

“You look troubled, my love? What’s going on?”, Violet looked seriously worried at Jasmine hoping she was alright.

"I.. I hope I didn't bother you. I just came from helping the other newcomers get food, and getting them settled. They were telling me about some things I thought someone should know about.. it seems there was some trouble at the compound they came from. Some man named Elijah is running a cult in that area, and brainwashing people to use as weapons against human settlements like this one. The redhead.. I never did catch her name. But she was telling me that whatever tactics he uses could seriously screw this place up, that we need better security. She needs to speak with Captain Fox, or if he isn't back yet, perhaps a second-in-command? I thought someone should be notified. Apparently Gabrielle's family is being held in thrall by the man. I'm sorry, I didn't quite get WHAT he was doing with the people, but.."

Jasmine said it all in a bit of a rush, hoping she hadn't forgotten anything. Some of her now-dry hair had escaped her ponytail during her jog here, and she tucked it behind her ear.

"I mean, it may not be anything that Captain Fox and his.. supermen can't handle, but people have other tactics than blunt force. I'm not sure HOW he was using them as weapons, and it seemed like something someone should be informed of at once."

James climbed out of the vehicle with the towel Priest had loaned him clutched around his waist. His shirt above the waist had survived, his backpack hadn't been touched, and his boots and gun belt might be salvageable, but his pants had come off in pieces after the goo had hardened.

James mentally debated for a moment which would be less embarrassing, walking to Violet's or leaping there. Leaping would be quicker but it'd also run the risk of flashing people... and truthfully he didn't like to leap inside the camp. He couldn't be hurt but landing on someone or something was a potential problem.

After a moment he decided his reputation probably couldn't get any worse anyway so he started a 'dignified' walk to Violet's and another set of pants.

Myfwany stiffened slightly and seemed for a moment about to rebuff Gabrielle...but then her shoulders slumped and her head fell to Gabrielle's shoulder and she slowly reached up to return the embrace with tears leaking slowly from the corners of her eyes.

"Sometimes I don't even know who I am anymore," she whispers, giving voice to her deepest dread. "It's like...everything I've tried so hard not to be...just comes bubbling up. Superstition and pride and..."

She hesitates and breathes the word, "...anger," in a small frightened voice. Then, self-consciously, Myfwany disengages from Gabrielle and straightens herself; tucking her hair back behind her ears and resettling in her seat. If she'd had glasses, she'd have pushed them up her nose.

Her smile was warm though, and her eyes still a little watery. "Thanks. I guess I needed that."

"I.. I hope I didn't bother you. I just came from helping the other newcomers get food, and getting them settled. They were telling me about some things I thought someone should know about.. it seems there was some trouble at the compound they came from. Some man named Elijah is running a cult in that area, and brainwashing people to use as weapons against human settlements like this one. The redhead.. I never did catch her name. But she was telling me that whatever tactics he uses could seriously screw this place up, that we need better security. She needs to speak with Captain Fox, or if he isn't back yet, perhaps a second-in-command? I thought someone should be notified. Apparently Gabrielle's family is being held in thrall by the man. I'm sorry, I didn't quite get WHAT he was doing with the people, but.."

Jasmine said it all in a bit of a rush, hoping she hadn't forgotten anything. Some of her now-dry hair had escaped her ponytail during her jog here, and she tucked it behind her ear.

"I mean, it may not be anything that Captain Fox and his.. supermen can't handle, but people have other tactics than blunt force. I'm not sure HOW he was using them as weapons, and it seemed like something someone should be informed of at once."

Violet drew Jasmine closer into a gentle embrace. “It’s alright, honey. The Captain will take care of it I’m sure about that.”, after a short moment in which Violet made sure that Jasmine had calmed down a little she pulled back just enough to still hold her at arms length. Violet smiled at Jasmine and carefully put a strand of the dark woman’s hair back in place. The way she touched her was almost electrifying and Violet radiated an intense aura of sensuality.

“It is terrible what this world has come down to. Even now that we face extinction the greatest monster on the planet remains humanity self. I created this place – this club as a sanctuary from the world outside. I promise you I’ll tell the Captain and his men as soon as they return – my boyfriend is with them.”, Violet looked at Jasmine her eyes still faintly glowing in their beautiful yet unnatural color.

“Your room is ready, shall I show it to you?”

Jasmine seemed to calm in Violet's presence, her nerves not quite as frazzled as before. She tried to suppressed a little shiver at Violet's touch, though the woman could still sense the effect it had on her, and was probably more aware of it than Jasmine seemed to be herself. Faced with the possibility of danger, Jasmine was all business, and she shook her head slightly. Her voice wavered at first under Violet's attentions, but then grew firmer.

"I'd.. I'd feel more comfortable if someone had a chance to talk to this woman, Violet. Is there someone we might be able to talk to in the Captain's absence? Surely he doesn't leave the place without having someone to manage emergencies while he's gone?"

JoAnna struggled to strangle a laugh as James walked in and then gave up and guffawed. laugh James' toughness didn't extend to his clothing and this wasn't the first time he'd come back missing some clothing... but usually it was his shirt he was missing and not his pants.

James pretended not to hear her and walked past in a 'dignified' manor past her and up the stairs.

Violet giggled joining the amusement about James. "Yes, that's him - in his full glory I must add.", she winked at him and blew him a kiss.

Turning her attention back to Jasmine her joy about James' return reflected in her eyes and a squeeze of Jasmine giving her a brief hint of Violet's superhuman strength. "James' return means that the Captain has arrived, too. Lets wait for him to get changed and settle down a moment and then we all go to have a talk with the Captain. How does that sound?"

With Violet's increased joy about the men's return her complexion got more lively and there was a brief hint of a glow that seemed to emanate from her. Violet was bristling with live and energy - a very infectious trait.

As the truck arrived it created a bit of a stir in the camp accompanied as it was by the two flyers. Fox had the truck pull directly up to the armory and in quick order organized the unloading and storing of the weapons in the lockup. Despite the mutant zombies it had been a successful mission and it was important that people in the came knew there was something to celebrate so he made no secret of the unloading and made no effort to keep his voice down as he bellowed commands to the men unloading.

"Careful with that box man, that contains explosives, you wanna blow yourself up?!?" "You there, stop standing around with your hands in your pockets and get in line to help unload the truck!" "Sgt. I want these weapons and ammo inventoried by dinner!"

Quieter, over the security channel he asked, "This is Fox, give me a status report on the base. Anything occur while I was gone?"

Archived