Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4b: Fox's Refuge

Dawn OOC

Fox's Refuge wasn't always easily found. Hidden in a valley and fenced in well back from the road, it wasn't the easiest place to just stumble on. Yet people did, their feet somehow finding the paths down the hills and to the fences, where they were estatic to find men with guns - as opposed to zombies.

Their welcoming speech was the same: Follow Fox's rules, and you can stay. Check with the doc for infection. And then the most blessed of sentences: "Welcome to Fox's Refuge, the safest place around."

Why it's so safe isn't immediately clear. But visitors soon hear about the angels that defy the virus, that can lift cars and fly. They hear about how they are protected by superhumans. Only rarely do they hear about the hurbis and selfishness of those supers.

Most of the Refuge is pretty boring - random buildings and tents dot the area. But there are a couple of interesting buildings, like the armory,and a place that looks like a bar being built. The bar's getting a lot of attention, both good and bad, and there are a lot of guys lingering near it, waiting for something.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine glanced further down the path from her crouched position, focusing on the fence line that ran the border of the place she had heard referred over the CB waves as "Fox's Refuge". At least, she was almost positive this was the place - it was the only thing that looked remotely like a "refuge" anywhere in a 10 mile radius - and she'd checked. She stood up, brushed the dirt off her jeans, and headed back up the trail a bit.

In the clearing stood a small group of survivors. There was Frank, and Alan. They were brothers from rural Kansas, both in their mid-thirties, and the "official" leaders of the group. There was an older woman named Anne, and her granddaughter, Marian, who had managed to escape from a suburb near Oklahoma City. They had wanted to venture back into downtown in search of Marian's parents, but Jasmine had managed to talk them out of it. She, Frank, and Alan had almost made that mistake themselves, scavenging for food. If Anne's daughter and husband were still there.. well, we sure wouldn't want to run into them now. And then there was Jose, who was around Jasmine's age - certainly no older than twenty. But he didn't really talk much.. and that was understandable.

But it was Jasmine who had been keeping them all alive, scavenging for food and water in places that she didn't dare let the others know she could go - not if they reacted like the little girl from the hospital did. She had been playing it up like she was lucky, and it was getting really old. She was glad to get to this place, this refuge, so she could pass these survivors off into more capable hands, and move on.

"It looks like there might food, or supplies up ahead. Maybe an old military base or something, but it's fenced off, so maybe the creatures haven't gotten in yet."

Jasmine knew very well that there were survivors behind that fence, and plenty of them, but she didn't feel like explaining to the others that she could hear the transmissions coming from the place over CB radio waves, and she hadn't found a CB radio in her foraging that they could all tune in to. It had been hard convincing them all to come this direction in the first place, but with the river nearby, she had tempted them with the idea of a possible untainted water source.

Marian tugged on her grandmother's hand, and glanced up at her, looking hopeful.

"Does this mean we're gonna get to eat something soon, Gramma Anne? I'm really hungry."

"Hopefully so, dear. We'll have to see what happens."

Jasmine let the brothers lead them down to the gate, but she stood ready and alert, her eyes darting back and forth along the fence line for any signs of hidden zombies that might threaten this tentative safety.

"Heeeeeey, there, travelers!" The voice was as welcome as the man behind the fence, waving at them. He moved to the gate and opened it, waving them through. "C'mon... we don't leave these open. Like your mom said - you'll let all the zombies in! Like the hot air! And the fridge."

They hurried in and he shut the gate. "Now, any of you bit, or sick?"

"No, but I'm hungry, mister," Marion said boldly.

"Aw, well, we can't have that." He crouched before the girl. "I don't have any food, but follow that path, and you'll get some."

"Yay! C'mon, Gramma!" Marion began to haul her along, while Anne laughed. Alan and Frank gave each other high-fives before offering the same to Jasmine.

"Let's eat!" Frank laughed and followed Marion and Anne, beaming widely.

Jasmine grinned at the boys, and returned their high-fives. She watched the group follow after the little girl, and cheerfully encouraged Jose to follow the others. They'd run out of supplies the night before, but Jasmine knew they were so close, it would be safer to keep going than to try and scavenge for more supplies, this close to their destination.

After they disappeared around a turn, her face grew serious again, and she glanced back to the man who had welcomed them into the gate.

"Thanks - I'm glad to find a safe place for them. This.. is Fox's Refuge, right? They can stay here, can't they?"

"You all can stay, if you agree to obey Fox's rules. And they aren't hard rules - about what you'd expect from a man who believes in the American way." He grinned and leaned closer. "Don't worry - this is a good place. Probably the best in the world, now. Now go on - looks like you need some meat on your bones." His smile was friendly.

The club was doing pretty good. Ever since James and the sisters practically moved in building the place had picked up speed. Especially Jill's skills and Jo's ideas did much to enhance the place. Violet had a basic concept but the girls provided details she'd have neglected otherwise.

She never gave security much thought. But some kind of special entrance that gave more control over who could enter and who had to stay outside was mandatory giving the latest events in the community. She'd have to hire a bouncer or two for the times James wasn't around. Maybe she could ask one of the other supermen to help her out whenever James was not there? Unless that would cause more trouble.

Lately more men were lurking around the club, stealing lustful glances at Violet and the sisters. It was getting tedious but Violet knew she had to be present out of two specific reasons. She was walking advertisement for the club and she had to look after the sisters in James' absence. No one knew that Violet was capable enough, at least physically to take on any of the men, she just hoped she could avoid any kind of violent situation.

There was movement outside the club and Violet wasn't sure what was going on.

"I go check it out, I won't go too far away, promised.", she gave both sisters a kiss and left the club. Outside some newcomers were welcomed and told the rules - the usual speech everyone got who entered Fox's Refuge.

Violet decided to wait for the moment until she was sure who the newcomers were. She hoped that there were a few women amongst them - that would do the community some good. The lack of women was getting a social problem inside the community and even though that would've made her club more exclusive it wasn't a good thing. They were sitting on a bomb that could blow any day.

Violet remained at the entrance of her club - the huge letters Violet's decorated the front above the heavy doors. She was wearing a white blouse that was at least two sizes too small for her. Buttoning it over her impressive chest was impossible. Instead she had knotted it just above her navel covering the outsides of her breasts and leaving little to the imagination for any leering eyes. Her bare midrift showed off her flat stomach and a hint of abs. She was wearing hiphugging leatherpants that were almost wrapped around her legs like a second skin. Overall her body advertised sex and fertility. Violet's long blonde hair hugged her upper body like a lovers hands falling always perfectly in the wind accentuating her curves and beautiful face - a face that was beyond any possible description of beauty.

She smiled, a bit hesitantly, and for a moment her eyes flickered towards the inner sanctuary of the compound, where the other five figures had disappeared in search of lunch. The idea of a warm plate of food, and perhaps even a bed to sleep in, almost lured her in. She even allowed herself to imagine a drink of cool, clean water. But that was selfish - she didn't really need any of those things the way the others did - at least, she didn't seem to anymore, and it had been three weeks now since she had actually eaten food or had a drink of water. No doubt it was as difficult here it was anywhere else to obtain supplies, and she shouldn't be consuming anything someone else needed more than her.

She smiled again, a bit cooler, and shook her head at the man.

"No.. I'm on my way to Texas. I had family there.. I'm hoping maybe they might have.. well, I have to check, anyway."

She knew the chances that they had survived were slim.. her mother would have probably been putting in extra hours at the doctor's office, with all the sick patients.. just like those doctors at the hospital.

She shook her head sharply, as if trying to erase the thoughts from her mind, the way you shook an Etch-a-Sketch to make a bad drawing disappear.

"Thank you, but I should.. I should go. I don't want to be a drain on your resources."

"No, no... you can't go on without food," the man said. "And besides... Texas is really bad. You should probably check around here for news of your area. Places like Dallas and Fort Worth are pretty much dead-zones. And you won't drain our resources, not without putting back. We all do our fair share here." He smiled again, a warm, fatherly expression. "Go on. You're safe here."

She grimaced slightly when he mentioned Dallas, a bit of a haunted look in her eyes. For a moment, her mind cycled through the memories of the devastation in Kansas City, and Oklahoma City, which was the only other city she had dared to venture near. But she forced a polite smile, and nodded faintly.

Perhaps it would do her good to rest here for a day or two anyway.. she hadn't really stopped going since her escape. And at least this place was safe, and secure. She could make sure the guys were settled in, and Anne and Marion too. And after that.. well, Dallas was waiting, no matter how much of a dead zone it might be. Zombies eat humans, not letters telling daughters where her parents fled to for safety. She could only hope that's what she might find.

"Thanks.. I appreciate it. Food would be.. great."

Violet watched the little company of newcomers walk down the main road that led through the Refuge. There were several women among them which she took as a good sign. One of the newcomers was different though. There was something special about that woman of african american heritage.

When they came close enough to the club Violet decided that she could take the risk and get closer to the newcomer. Besides that one of the guards was close enough to take care of any unwelcomed approaches by the lurking men around Violet's club.

Originally Posted By: Jasmine Gentian

"Thanks.. I appreciate it. Food would be.. great."

She caught up the last bit of that request and decided to help her out. This way she could get a better first impression of her. "You're welcome at my place. Food and drinks are on the house, consider it a welcome gift. My name is Violet, I own that place.", she pointed at the building she came from and flashed the exotic newcomer a perfect smile.

Click to reveal..
Activate Empathic Manipulation to scan for Jasmine's general emotions and mood. Per+Emp. Manip resisted by Willpower IF subject wants to resist. (4d10.hits(7)=2) / One net suxx is enough to determine Jasmine's emotions -2 QP; Pool is at 22 now

Jasmine glanced up at the stranger, and at first the woman's very appearance took her off guard. For a moment she just stared at her, too startled to not be a bit rude about it. She imagined, for a moment, what she must look like next to this woman.

Jasmine had no idea if she was attractive at all. She knew that she looked terrible most of her life, because of the leukemia. At times her hair had fallen out completely from the chemotherapy, though that was mostly when she was very young. She had been doing various other tests and treatments for the last three years or so, and she had grown back a pretty decent head of hair. And maybe she didn't look so frightful, now that she wasn't sick - at least, she was pretty sure she wasn't anymore, and it had been six months now since her world had collapsed around her. Which meant six months without any treatment, too. She certainly had no idea that she was a very beautiful young woman these days, even with her thick, curly hair pulled back mostly in a ponytail and only a few strands hanging down around her face, and with the tears in her clothes from fighting off the zombies that she had assured the others came from snagging herself on a bush or a fence somewhere along the way. And to be honest, it didn't really matter to her.

She shook her head and stopped staring, glancing back down the path to where the others had disappeared. She fought a desire to follow them, and make sure they were going to be alright. After all, she had gotten them this far, and knew this place was going to be safe. Anything else would just be encouraging further emotional ties.. which she was trying to avoid. She had gotten emotional about the first group.. and it only made it harder on down the line. Perhaps having lunch with this stranger was a better idea, after all.

She turned back to Violet, and nodded slightly. When she spoke, it was with a hint of an accent to her voice, like someone who had grown up in the South, but spent a lot of time somewhere else. She held out a hand to Violet politely, and when Violet shook it back, her grip was firm.

"Sure.. that's nice of you, thanks. I'm Jasmine."

________

(Appearance: 3, Charisma: 2, no other appearance enhancing attributes or traits)

Violet kept her perfect smile and simply chirped "Wonderful" as an answer. Then she spun around and led the way to her club. The way she moved suggested a lot and it was obvious why several men were lurking around the building like hungry wolves. But something seemed to keep them at bay.

Violet opened the heavy door and offered Jasmine to enter. "Welcome to Violet's - it is not finished yet, but I'd say we'll be opening officially pretty soon."

The club was obviously a mixture of a table-dance bar meets wild west saloon. The dominant color was violet, of course. There were two women at the bar. Both were strikingly beautiful but not in any 'unnatural' or 'superhuman' way like Violet.

"Jo, Jill, may I introduce you to Jasmine. She is a newcomer and could need a nice meal... and some fresh clothes by the looks of it.", Violet gave Jasmine an appraising look and slightly shook her head. "Dear god, maybe you should take a shower first, feel like a real human while we cook something tasty for you? Any wishes? Pasta? Pizza? Salad?"

Click to reveal..
You can get a good description of the sisters in this thread: The Characters

Jasmine followed her into the club. Her eyebrows arched slightly as she took in the appearance of the place, finally realizing that this must be a bar or club of some sort - just what she thought it might have been before, she wasn't quite sure. But she smiled politely at Jo and Jill, then glanced at Violet as she spoke, a bit startled.

"Surely you don't have enough water here for real showers?"

Violet's smile suggested she wasn't joking. "Of course we do! This is a military base. It can run on its own for years if people know how to maintain it. This is the best place you can be in the whole base. The showers are upstairs, we'll prepare you a fine meal and some fresh clothes in the meantime. Try to be sparingly with the soap though."

Violet's eyes examined Jasmine again revealing their unnatural color as she seemed to scan her from head to toe. It wasn't clear if Violet was just looking her over or making a move on Jasmine.

Click to reveal..
Activating Empathic Manipulation on Jasmine to make her feel more comfortable and save around Violet. First dice is Mega-Dice. Roll is resisted by Willpower. (9d10.hits(7)=3) - 3 Suxx resisted by WP IF you want to resist her influence on you; -2 QP, 20 Pool left

Jasmine's relief at the idea of a shower was palpable, and she smiled at Violet for the first time - a genuine, relieved smile that seemed to soften the harsher edges of her face and the wariness in her eyes. For a moment she even looked close to her seventeen years.

"Thank you - that sounds wonderful. Anything will be fine for food, I'm not picky. Although.. something that's cooked would be great."

Jasmine headed upstairs, and managed to find the showers and a towel. She turned on the water, testing it out of habit, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was, in fact, warm. She lingered in the shower, letting the water run through her hair and soothe her weary muscles. It was a wasteful luxury, and she knew it, but it was the first time she'd gotten to clean herself in six months that didn't involve scrubbing herself with a bit of salvaged soap and water on a rag in the middle of the woods somewhere. After what seemed like forever (though it had really only been about ten minutes), she quickly washed the dirt and grime off of her body and face. Suppressing a bit of guilt, she even squeezed out a small amount of the shampoo she had seen in the shower ledge, and worked it through her unmanageable hair as thoroughly as possible, and rinsed it free of all the dust and grease.

Hesitantly, she turned off the water and climbed out of the shower. She wrapped herself in the tower, and took a good look at herself in the mirror. It was startling, she hadn't looked at her own reflection since before this whole disaster had begun. It wasn't worth thinking about too much though, so she picked up a brush that she found, though she wasn't entirely sure who's it was, and she hoped they didn't mind that she was borrowing it. It took her a good ten minutes or so to work the brush through all the tangles, but at least she didn't need to oil her hair the way her mother always had - she had gotten more of her father's mixed genes, black and white and Native American all rolled together like someone native to the southwest should be. It was thick and curly, but at least it usually stayed fairly smooth. She pulled it back into a ponytail again with her trusty hairband.

She picked up her dirty clothes again, with the intention of putting them back on, but she remembered Violet's allusion to fresh clothes. She opened the door of the bathroom and glanced into the hallway, hoping that there might be a pair of clean jeans or something waiting for her.

Violet followed Jasmine upstairs and waited outside until she was finished. The young girl was slowly opening up to her and that was all she needed, all she wanted.

As the door opened Violet was there to guide her to her quarters. "The sisters are preparing your meal and I thought I should look after you and make sure you miss nothing. I've got a wide selection of clothes in my quarters. You can keep what you want, most of that stuff doesn't fit me anyways.", Violet shoved her bust forward for emphasis making it bulge against the blouse almost making it burst.

"Take your time, sweetheart.", said Violet and sat down on her bed legs crossed and arms wrapped around her knees. She didn't seem to have any plans of leaving and giving Jasmine some privacy.

Jasmine relaxed again around Violet, unsure of why she felt so much more calm in the woman's presence. Perhaps it was just because she finally had a few moments to relax.

She followed her to the bedroom, and glanced briefly around the room until her gaze came to rest upon a couple different doors that seem to be closet-sized. She walked over to one, and opened it up, stepping back a little as some of the overflow spilled out onto the floor. She flipped through some of those clothes, but quickly came to the realization that these were all much too elegant for the current situation. It was hard to picture killing zombies in an evening gown. She closed that door, kneeling down to push some of the clothes back in that had spilled out of the bottom. She moved over to a different closet, opening it up and sorting through that one as well. This one had a much wider variety of everyday clothes, and she pulled out a faded pair of jeans (thought with this assortment, they were probably faded well before hitting the shelf they were purchased from, and charged extra for it), and what looked like a simple black tank top.

Jasmine hesitated for a moment at the idea of wearing someone's underthings, but she had left all her spare clothes in her knapsack in the bathroom, and everything she owned was dirty. She quickly nabbed a pair of white lace panties and a lace bra that was as close to her size as she could find. She turned back to Violet after she had made her selections, still wrapped in the towel, and hesitated, biting her lip slightly.

"Are you sure this is alright? I could just wash some of my things instead. They're a bit torn, but they'd do fine."

"Of course, Jasmine. As you can see I've got more than plenty.", Violet's voice sounded genuine and a little bit amused. "We can wash your stuff so you have something to change in case you need to."

Violet shifted her position on the bed keeping her legs crossed but reaching back with her arms leaning against them. Her eyes watched Jasmine with keen curiousity. "Tell me, where do you come from, Jasmine? I can't quite place that accent of yours. How have you heard of this base?"

She may be not as innocent as she looks, I'll do the Captain a favour and try to find out more about her and her little trek.

Click to reveal..
Empathic Manipulation kept maintained to scan for her emotions. Violet is trying to find out if Jasmine is holding back on anything and not being honest. -2 QP, 18 Pool total

Jasmine nodded slightly, and looked around the room for a place to change. Seeing none, and it being apparent that Violet wanted to keep conversing, she did what she was used to doing in these kinds of situations - she improvised. She laid the clothes down on one of the three chairs, and begins to dress as she spoke, slipping the panties on first underneath the towel that was concealing the rest of her figure.

"Well.. I'm from Dallas, originally. But.. I've spent a lot of time up in Missouri the last few years, in Kansas City. I've.. traveled a lot in between."

She turned her back to Violet, slipping off the towel and draping it over the back of the chair. Her figure, no longer concealed by the towel but only exposed to Violet from behind, looked well-toned for a girl her age. She wasn't thin enough to be a gymnast or dancer, though she appeared to have the strength of one. She looked perhaps like someone who had practiced martial arts or kickboxing. She picked up the bra and put it on, fastening it quickly and reaching for the jeans.

"I've never heard of the place, really.. we were just looking for supplies and ran across it. We thought it might be deserted."

She hoped this woman couldn't see through the lie, flimsy as it was.. and she knew it was flimsy. Jasmine had had it drilled into her at a young age not to lie. She used to try telling her Mom she felt fine during treatments, and she would always get told not to be an idiot - if she felt bad, the doctors needed to know, so they knew what to do about it. The question about where she was from was innocent enough to answer honestly, but she didn't really feel like explaining that she'd tracked the place by following the CB transmissions. They might want to see the CB radio she didn't have.

Violet nodded quietly smiling at the obvious attempt to lie about the place.

"I understand, Jasmine. I think you can consider yourselves very lucky to have found us unless you had some other means to track this place.", Violet was leaning forward again and looked a little like a big cat that was focusing on its prey, but there was nothing hostile in her eyes, more a playful, catlike curiousity.

"You look great in those clothes, honey. I think the food is done by now. I guide you back downstairs. You can keep the dirty laundry here, I will take care of it. You can pick it up tomorrow - it'll be neat and clean till then."

Violet stood up and pointed at the door. "After you, sweetheart."

Her eyes and smile spoke of the obvious - she didn't buy Jasmine's story about how they found the place.

Jasmine forced a smile, and tugged the tank top on over her head. It fit snugly, but in a way that flattered her figure, though she obviously wasn't used to it, and tugged at it a couple times to conceal the strip of her stomach it kept revealing. She was pretty sure the woman hadn't bought the lie, but at least she was polite enough not to say anything.

"Thanks.. this is all very generous. I do appreciate it."

She hoped she came across as sincere in that, at least. She didn't want this woman to think she didn't appreciate everything she'd done so far.

"No problem at all, you're welcome.", said Violet appraising Jasmine's tight body. She'd do just fine...

Downstairs the sisters had arranged a small table with some steaming pasta, fresh water and quiet music in the background. Jill had obviously returned to working on the interior of the place while JoAnna watched the newcomer with distant politeness. Violet sat down offering a chair to Jasmine.

"How do the french say? Bon apetite?", Violet waited for Jasmine to start eating before she ate some of the pasta herself.

"Why won't you tell me the real reason you've found this place, Jasmine? Have you heard about the supermen?", she asked nonchalantly in between bites.

Jasmine followed Violet downstairs, and took a deep breath as she caught the scent of food. She sat down at the table, glancing over at JoAnna and thanking her politely before she started on anything at the meal. When she did sit down, the first thing she did was take a slow, long drink of the fresh water. Her eyes closed for a moment.. it had been SO LONG since she had had more than a sip or two to drink (just enough to fake it), and even though she could live without it didn't mean your throat and mouth didn't get dry, inhaling the dust of the Oklahoma plains. She gathered up a forkful of pasta, and took a bite, seeming to savor that as much as the water. In fact, to someone who was paying attention, she didn't eat like a person starved so much as she did someone who had been deprived of a luxury for a very long time.

Unfortunately, her first real swallow of decent food in the last six months didn't go down so well, for she tried to swallow it at the exact moment Violet called her on her lie. She started coughing, and picked up the water to sip at it carefully, trying to catch herself.

"I'm sorry, why would you - I mean, I didn't.."

After a moment the second part of the woman's sentence registered in her mind, and she looked at Violet quizzically, obviously not lying this time.

"Wait, what? Supermen? What do you mean?"

Oh, I pushed the right button Violet smiled mysteriously to herself.

"That's kinda hard to explain if you don't see it for yourself. I always say seeing is believing.", Violet reached for her glass and took a long draught of water.

"My boyfriend is one of them. He is superstrong, can lift cars and is invulnerable. But that's not all of his superhuman qualities...", she didn't finish the sentence but her voice was heavy with suggestions.

"I'm one of them, if you haven't realised yourself by now.", Violets eyes flashed briefly brighter than they usually were emphasizing their unnatural yet deep and beautiful violet color. For a brief moment Violet's shape seemed to shift, her hair got a fiery red while her skin paled to a porcelaine like quality almost shining bright white. Just before Jasmine could take in the details Violet shifted back to her 'normal' form.

"Your emotions tell me that you know already but don't want to admmit it. I can understand your confusion but the rumors are real. That's why this place is the safest you can be in the whole country.", Violet smiled at Jasmine knowing that what she just revealed may have been too much for the young woman. She concentrated on increasing her trust to her, she didn't mean to scare or intimidate her.

Click to reveal..
Activate Empathic Manipulation to increase Jasmine's trust towards Violet First Dice is Mega-Dice (9d10.hits(7)=3) - 3 Suxx resisted by WP IF Jasmine wants to; -2 QP for Emp. Manip. and -1 QP for Appearance Alteration, 15 total

Jasmine drew in a sharp breath as Violet's appearance shifted. She sat there for a long moment, staring at her, absorbing the information she had just been handed. After a long moment, the forgotten fork still loosely dangling between her fingertips, she shook her head slightly, and her voice was almost a whisper when she spoke.

"No.. no, I hadn't heard any rumors, I swear. I just wanted to bring those survivors somewhere safe. I had no idea there were others.."

Her voice trailed off quietly. Violet could sense no deceptions, and it began to dawn on her that perhaps Jasmine had been concealing something different than Violet thought she had.

"Superhuman qualities.."

Violet raised an eyebrow and smirked. Definitely the right button. But I need to know for sure.

"Jasmine - it is alright, you can trust me. A lot of strange things have happened over the last 6 months. We all had to change our lives - most of us didn't make it. There is always a balance and a reason for what is happening. Are you... one of us? Don't worry, if you want to keep it secret, I won't tell.", another of Violet's perfect smiles followed her words.

Click to reveal..
Activate Persuader First dice is Mega-dice - assuming 2 autosuxx because of the situation (9d10.hits(7)=5) - that's a total of 7 suxx, -1 QP, 14 Pool total

Jasmine hesitated for a moment, more unsure how to respond than she was hesitant of telling Violet. For some reason, she knew she could trust the woman completely. It was odd, she hadn't trusted anyone in so long. But if she could do amazing things too.. she should have seen it before, there was no way that beauty could be natural. Her voice was still a whisper when she first spoke, and she cleared her throat, as if that would clear up her ability to share what she was trying to say.

"Yes, I mean.. I think so. I don't know for sure, I suppose I must.. I could hear the radio, I knew there would be people here. I didn't want to tell them, I didn't know if they'd be afraid."

Her rambling didn't make complete sense, she hadn't vocalized this to anyone, and she didn't know how to truly describe it. She vaguely hoped she didn't sound like a complete idiot.

"It is ok, Jasmine - don't worry. I don't mean to put any pressure on you. Why won't we finish our plates and then we talk about it? Maybe I can answer some of your questions? We're here to help eachother - we need eachother."

Violet looked straight into Jasmine's eyes and smiled again. Her voice had a magical quality to it. It was pleasant to listen to her.

This is getting interesting - very interesting

Jasmine nodded slightly, looking a bit overwhelmed, and suddenly a bit nervous at having blurted out the secret she had kept for the last six months. She quietly focused on her food.. it was still hot, amazingly. Though the conversation felt like an eternity, it had really been over a few moments.

She quietly at the food, trying to focus on it again the way she had before, but her mind was distracted, and she would glance up at Violet occasionally, as if to reassure herself that this woman wasn't going to go fleeing at the idea of unexplainable abilities.. or, what had she called them again? "Superhuman" powers.

Violet finished her plate watching Jasmine out of the corner of here eyes. The girl was seriously thinking about what she had just revealed. Violet had to smile knowing fully that it was her doing. She could sell sand to the Saudi's and make a huge profit - if she was so inclined.

But this girl was... troubled it seemed. As if she didn't wanted to accept that she has become like James labeled it. Violet liked the word for what has happened to her. It was the closest thing to the truth - she truly had become more than human.

"You can have as much water as you want.", offered Violet as she filled Jasmine's glass with fresh crytal clear water.

Violet leaned back against her chair visibly relaxing while her eyes remained on Jasmine's face. "Tell me, how did you become?"

Violet could sense immediately that she picked exactly the wrong way to approach the conversation. Jasmine's face shut down, and a spasm of pain flickered through her eyes. Her fingers tightened on the fork, creating small dents in the metal. She shook her head slightly, and her voice was kind of clipped when she spoke.

"I don't feel like talking about that, if you don't mind."

Ohoh, wrong turn, Violet's facade remained a perfect display of hospitality.

"It's alright Jasmine, I'm sorry if I made any unpleasent memories resurface. I can imagine what happened if it was only close to how I became. I would be dead if I hadn't become instead.", Violet shuddered as she remembered herself how she became.

"You've got my fullest sympathy and I apologize for being so indiscreet.", Violet smiled again taking a sip of water.

"The supermen guarding this base have all unbelievable powers. Some can even fly, others have superhuman strength and toughness. We all seem to be immune to the virus. No one turns if bitten by a Z. My boyfriend doesn't even get hurt. He looks after us and makes sure we stay save.", Violet obviously meant the sisters.

"My powers are less effective against Zs, but I've got other 'gifts' instead.", that statement was followed by another mysterious smile that suggested more than just a vague flirt.

Jasmine shuddered slightly as Violet spoke. She didn't care how interested she might be, her mind rebelled at the idea of relieving those first awful days.. the mobs of all those horrifying child-zombie faces moving towards her, trying to drive them back, the screams of the surviving children behind her as she tried feebly to protect them, no less sick than most of the rest. Even the smells of the hospital, of illness and blood and death, mixing with the stench of plague and corruption that seemed to follow the zombie infestation everywhere.

She finally realized that Violet had moved on, and she tried to discreetly smooth out the bend in the fork as she listened, nodding slightly. Her dusky skin flushed slightly at the allusion in her tone, and she smiled a bit at the very end.

"Yes.. I imagine you must.. I mean, I can't imagine.." She cleared her throat slightly again. "I found this place because of the radio signals - I could hear them, like I had a CB radio with me. I can hear all sorts of things, and.. well, I guess I just seem to be able to do a lot of things better than I used to be able to. Or things I used to not be able to do at all."

Violet nodded quietly showing fullest sympathy to Jasmine. "If you don't feel comfortable sharing that right now its ok. Should you decide to stay here, which I honestly hope you will, you should consider talking to the Captain about your abilities. I'm good friend with his and he is one of the supermen. I can imagine that you'd be a fine addition to this community. And if you don't know what to do or where to stay - I can offer you a job and a place to stay. Just ask."

Her offer sounded genuine and simple, as if it was no problem at all to ask her about any favour.

"If you need any help, just ask."

Click to reveal..
Activate Empathic Manipulation to give Jasmine a last push to trust Violet and consider her a good friend. First Dice is Mega-Dice (9d10.hits(7)=3) 3 Suxx resisted by Willpower IF Jasmine wants to; -2 QP, 12 Pool total

Click to reveal..
Willpower roll to resist Empathic Manipulation so that Jasmine can remain wary until she has more time to decide. Rolls: 1,2,4,3

Jasmine's face softened. She was being so cold, and this woman hadn't been anything but nice to her. Even the doctors she had grown up surrounded by had always been very professional, and distant. No one had ever seemed to care so much. It was - what would her mother have called it - counterproductive, keeping things hidden like she was. She could trust Violet, she had no doubt. Maybe she'd even be able to tell her what she should do, if Jasmine could only tell her the truth. She glanced down at her clean clothes, and back at the table and the empty plate of food. Then she leaned forward, almost imperceptably, across the table. Her voice dropped a bit, the way sisters would talk when they whispered secrets to each other at night in the dark.

"Maybe.. maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I.. was going to go to Dallas. I'm from there, like I said.. but I was in Kansas City when it happened. I was at the hospital there.. for a long stay. My mother had to go back to work, and her and my Dad would visit on the weekends when they could. I'm not an idiot, I know what the cities are like, that they're dead zones.. but maybe, maybe they might have gotten away in time, maybe they left me a letter, or a way of contacting them."

She glanced towards the door, thinking about the path she had traveled so far to get to where she was. A look of sadness filled her face, and her lips pressed together for a moment.

"Maybe it's useless. Maybe it's a lost cause."

"No it is not, Jasmine. It is called hope and that is very precious these days.", Violet mirrored Jasmine's low voice and for a moment it felt like she was her big sister. Someone that would look after her and keep promises.

"Once the Captain is back we can talk to him about your 'mission'. I know there are several other locations they want to check out, maybe I can convince them to go to Dallas?", Violet winked at her and smiled like she was sharing a secret with Jasmine.

"Shall I prepare a quarter for you upstairs? I feel you should stay here with us, after all we've talked about I think this is the best place for you to stay. I can give you the tour around the base later, when the men are back from their mission." Violet put carefully a hand on Jasmine's trying to comfort her not only emotionally but also physically.

Jasmine's face lit up the suggestion. She thought about how she had felt when she first arrived, and how her stomach had turned and twisted into knots at the mention of her home city. But instead of comfirming her fears, instead of branding them into her soul, Violet was giving her hope. Instead of picturing herself stalking through Dallas, stealing away on the tops of billboards for rest and hearing the moans of zombies as they shuffled and pawed at sewer grates to reach her, she started to see it differently. No doubt difficult, but with others like her, others who could help her fight off the mobs of undead, perhaps she could get through. And maybe.. if her worst fears came true, maybe she would be able to survive the breaking of her own heart. Maybe, if Violet was there to help.

She reached forward and curled the fingertips of her other hand around Violet's, squeezing very gently.

"Thank you.. thank you so very much. I'd love to stay here, and meet this Captain. And I'd love to stay here with you, if it's not an inconvenience. You have no idea how much this.. your kindness.. means to me."

Violet wordlessly stood up and walked around the table never letting go of Jasmine's hand. Carefully she drew her closer to herself embracing her like a compassionate lover or in Jasmine's case a big caring sister. "I'm just glad you've found us, Jasmine. I'll help you on your quest, I promise."

Violet held the young woman gently and reassuringly giving her the time to completely trust her. Deep insider her Jennifer felt honest compassion for the young woman. She could relate to her on some level, the horror of her change and the following days until she found a way to survive. If it wasn't for Fox she might be dead today. She owed this place so much it would take a lifetime to pay it back. She would prove Priest wrong and show him that she could honestly care for someone - that she could do more than just use people to her own ends.

She really cared for Jasmine... did she?

Jasmine hugged Violet back, but after a few long moments she pulled back. She seemed to have resumed a bit of her previous composure, and with it, she seemed older again, not quite so vulnerable. Painful memories aside, Jasmine was a girl who had gotten used to taking care of herself, no matter the consequences. Her will to survive was tempered and forged from years of battling disease and enduring treatments. In fact, it wasn't just herself she had been caring for recently, and if she wasn't going to leave, then she at least had the responsibility of making sure they had gotten properly settled in.

"Violet, I came here with five others.. three fairly young men, and a woman with her granddaughter. The man at the guard sent them somewhere down the path for food - I should check and make sure they're alright, and getting settled in okay. Do they need to go with me to meet this Captain? Or will they just be allowed to stay? They're not.. like us. They're just regular people, they weren't doing very well before I ran into them. I got them from Oklahoma City to here.. I couldn't just leave them."

Violet sighed a little still smiling at Jasmine. The intimacy of the embrace was still lingering on her tickling her skin.

"Of course they can stay as long as they follow the rules around here. They will be taken care of, given food and a place to stay. Then they can see if they want to stay or move on. Although I guess once they realise the luxury this place is they won't ever leave again."

Violet crossed her arms under her immense breasts and hugged herself as if she missed being held. "I think they don't have to meet the Captain but I'm sure he'll take his time to greet them personally. It's his way to handle things, he is a very organised man. A true soldier and an american patriot. Values that this community can look up to in these dreadful times."

She looked over to JoAnna who seemed to take that as a hint. The beautiful dark haired woman came to Violet's side and layed a hand around her waist like a lover? would do.

"I'll be waiting here for you and prepare your quarters. Then you can catch some sleep once you're sure they are doing fine. Just stay away from the "wolves" that lurk around the club. This community is suffering from a shortage on women."

Violet slowly moved towards Jasmine leaving JoAnna behind for the moment. She reached with her hands to cup Jasmine's face and tried to gently put a kiss on her forehead. "Take care, honey. I'll be here."

Archived