Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 4a: Blood and Darkness

Dawn OOC

The terrain around Lawton was completely flat, perfect for Morgan and Dan as they flew overhead as spotters. After yesterday, the group was incredibly jumpy, and Jules didn't stop scanning around them with the binoculars. While she hadn't been on the previous convey, she had heard what had happened and she was vigilant.

Priest's crew were ready as well. They were tense as they bent over their work, readying themselves for the unknown. Despite their nervousness, they had chosen this life and it was fulfilling, in its own way.

Morgan swung low enough to give Bethany, the lead driver, a thumbs up. She stuck her hand out and replied in kind, not slowing or changing the vehicle. "So far so good," she said to Jules, who was riding next to her on spot.

"Yeah, let's see how long that lasts," Jules mumbled in return.

Behind her, Leo chewed her lip and monitored the new gadget she was trying. She looked concerned at the negativity the other woman was expressing, but didn't say anything to her. "Priest," she said into the radio, "we're getting all clears up here."

The group drove to the armory cautiously. Jules cursed softly when she saw the front; the doors opened inward, making holes of blackness. "Looks like a Zomb-hole to me."

"Zomb-hole?" Leo asked.

"I assume you mean a place where zombies might be?" Bethany asked.

"No," Jules sighed as she grabbed her rifle and waited for Morgan and Dan to give the all-clear. They were hovering in front of the opening, shining lights into the darkness. "I mean a dark place where zombies are waiting to get you."

Click to reveal.. (OOC Notes)
Feel free to post your actions in whatever order; should we head to initiative, we'll roll them then. Please state which NPCs are getting left behind, and who is going into the armory. Feel free to ask questions in PM or the OOC thread.

It is completely dark inside. Someone has bricked over the windows; it's a sloppy job but effective at blocking the light. Dan, Morgan, you are looking at a reception area; a bullet-riddled corpse lies over the desk.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Everyone who isn't coming in, button up when we leave," Priest repeats the mantra said over two dozen times before. He would take no chances with Sarah.

"I'll take point. It's what I'm good at. I'll take someone else with me. I'll bend my will around them as well. That way, we can tell what's coming."

Most of the people here didn't understand what he did. He barely understood it himself, but he knew it would come in handy in close-quarters situations like this."

Click to reveal..

Cutting on Premonition(Others) when the second person is chosen. -3q, 21 left.

Colt and Willie Potts are dismounting and coming along as well. Both have assualt rifles, pistols, and machettes.

The Captain hovered in the air for a moment before the entrance before saying, "Don't go in deep. It looks like someone was holed up here after Z-day, but it doesn't look like they still are. Let me fly around the perimeter real quick and see if there are any other entrances, it will only take a minute." He didn't like the looks of this. He was afraid he was going to find another raided facility in side and a bunch of suvivor's corpses so he added before flying away, "I don't like the looks of this so stay sharp."

The entrance is on the north side, and Fox zips around it, his eyes seeking any other openings. The one on the north side seems to be the only one, and as he was circling, he saw zombies meandering listlessly around the other sides of the building. They were behind a fence, so it was fairly safe, but if they had another unseen way into the building, they might cause trouble.

Around front, Priest's men were ready to go. Colt and Willie quietly flank him and wait warily for the action to begin. Just before they closed the door, Priest glanced back at his daughter. The ten-year-old was humming and kicking her feet as she loaded a zip clip. It was both a reminder of what he had to fight for, and how far the world had fallen.

Dan Descended to the round and was instantly glad he'd brought the full combat rig for marines. He took out a small flashlight and and clipped it to the side of his combat harness. "I'll go with you." He brings his battle rifle to his shoulder and nods. "Let's go Priest, and clear this place."

The two men willing to go with him into this shady situation nearly cracks his granite facade. Nearly.

"Okay. James," he touches him on the shoulder*, "you are at me side. Dan, you are at my six. Colt, you are with him. Willie, you are taking up the middle. Jules, you keep the rear and keep Fox with you when he catchs up."

The lanky, serpentine Colt moves up next to Dan, looking around studiously in his sector. Huge Willie Potts gives Jules a grin and a wink, tips back his cowboy hat, and steps next to her.

"Okay, let's roll," Priest says and steps into the darkness.

Click to reveal..

Premonition Other on Priest and James detecting threats to them up to 10 meters.

Morgan came zooming around the corner and slowed as he entered the building coming in to land next to Jules. He speaks loud enough for the group to hear but not so much that his voice will carry down the presumably lifeless hallways. "Few zombies outside but they are kept from the building by a fence. Good sign really, if there was anyone alive in here there would probably be a lot more. Be careful though, looks to me like someone did hole up here after the plague started. If it were me I'd have booby traps set up."

The room looms large before them. It isn't that big, their rational mind tells them, but the deep shadows create a false sense of depth. Their flashlights sweep the area and reveal the truth, but when the lights move away, the illusion returns. "Looks like the set to a mutha fuckin' horror movie to me," Willie muttered nervously. Colt silently nodded agreement.

Elevators are to the right, but they aren't operational. Half a corpse lies in the car, his pants and shoes marking him as Army. Rank and identity could be found only if the rest of him were uncovered. Right next to the elevator is a set of fire stairs, but the door is closed and the handle has been broken off.

The reception and security desk fill much of the remainder of the room. To the left of a desk, a hallway extended into darkness.

Priest was barely in the room when his hair rose on the back of his neck. His eyes swiveled toward the door with the broken handle without thought. From the door, all heard the soft thump, followed by a breathy moan.

James walked over to the door saying as he went, "Broken handle. Maybe someone broke it and fled that way."

James summoned his blackly glowing blade and said, "Now we could just open the door, but there might be 50 zoms on the other side. We'd win, but that's a lot of ammo."

"So we cut a hole in the door so they have to come at us one at a time. Probably only one there, but who knows."

Unless someone says something James will attempt to cut a two foot diameter hole in the door four feet up.

[Activate Claws: No Quantum Cost]

((Morgan has been in the military all his adult life, he's pretty familiar with the way things are laid out. Can he get a clue as to where they are in relation to where the weapons and ammo would be stored?

Yes - the back half of the building is where the depot is most likely to be. You saw what looked to be a warehouse-like attachement to the back and the right. That is most likely the place to start, but to access it from the outside would require you to go thought the fenced portion. I have a hand-drawn map. I'll try to upload an electronic one tonight.))

Morgan spoke up, "I'm pretty sure the weapons and ammo are at the back of the facility and to the right. When I was circling overhead I saw a warehouse building that I'm pretty sure is it. We can access from outside but we'll have to go through the fence with a few zombies. Why don't we start there rather than playing with the dead in here?"

James sighed and his blade vanished. He turned around and started walking towards the exit with the comment,

"Meaning we're in the admin building and we're not going to find what we're looking for. Fine then. If we can get closer by walking around in the daylight that's good."

"Let's leave the fences up as much as we can, they hinder them more than us."

[Claws Off]

James waved to the zom behind the door and said to it, "Later."

Seeing Dan withdraw from the building, Preist hold up his hand, whistles softly and makes a chopping motion. The three men start backstepping out of the area in unision. Once they are outside, Priest looks to Fox,

"I take it you guys are going to punch through the walls then?"

Morgan nods, "If that's what it takes. There should be some big doors though to move the equipment in and out of. I'd rather not make too much noise if we can help it. No need to draw more attention than we have to." Looking to see if the others are ready he leads the way out and around the building to the fenced area they need to go to. "Follow me."

The fence is about nine feet tall, with simple barbed wire coiling around the top. A zombie in ripped BDUs stared at them through the fence, clearly hungry. They could reach the wall of the tin-plated warehouse.

James reached out and tore off a piece of the tin, to find an older, ugly brick underneath. No easy way in this time.

James said, "I wonder..."

James squares off, takes a deep breath, winds up, and then slams his fist into the brick wall with all his might!!!

{Drop a point of willpower and put a Smackdown on this puppy}

Click to reveal..
Attack: 10d10.hits(7) [9,7,10,7,7,4,3,2,2,9] = 6sux, it's +2 diff so that's 4.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1935462/

Damage: 5[10](Str)+6+3(Acc)+1(Claws) => 15[10]

Damage Roll: 15d10.hits(7) [1,6,2,8,6,10,9,4,7,10,7,10,5,2,4] = 7 sux (+10 autosux - Soak)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1935476/

James' fist went through the wall. It didn't hurt too much, more like a dull shock as his hind-brain demanded that such a crazy maneuver have consequences. Grinning, James took a grip on the stone to pull a hunk of it back out-

Something brushed his skin, like a greasy feather. Immediately, pain lanced along his hand, the first time he'd felt that sensation in a long time. He drew his hand back and there was a black slime burning his skin.

Something dark moved behind the hole he had made.

Click to reveal..
Courier: 2 Lethal

Anyone who hasn't rolled initiative needs to do so now.

Willie whips up his rifle, takes a step back, and clicks on the flashligh on the end (which probably has no effect in the daylight, but then Willie isn't going to win any Smartest Man contests either.)

"He's not going to turn, is he? Tell me he's not going to turn," willie says, his voice tinged with fear. The man's hands are surprisingly steady though.

James shakes his hand off and examines it closely and said,

"No blood. Skin still didn't break. Burned like acid though." *No break in the skin means no exposure... but %*#& that was close.*

James steps further away from the hole and said,

"Acid zombie? Or maybe something like the blob?"

Fox calls out to Priest, "Woah! That could be a fuel tank just inside there, and even if it isn't, a flare might not be a good thing to introduce into an ammo storage facility." Looking at Jame, "Could be a gasoline soaked zombie maybe? Just a thought. Anyway let me try your trick but up on the wall a bit where they should be able to get to me then I can see inside to know what we face."

He shouldered his weapon securing it by it's strap then lifted off the ground and up to about 12 ft in height. Unlike James, after taking the cover off the wall he used his foot and kicked at it with his considerable strength while also adding a little forward motion.

Fox's kick punched a hole in the wall; those looking in the lower hole saw more light, enough to see vague shapes that might be the weapons they'd come for. There was a dark mass on the floor that everyone slowly realized was a hole in the floor. It must have collapsed and possibly flooded; the sound of splashing and water sloshing was audible. And they could also hear grumbling, moaning noises, at least two of them.

"Yeah, lets enlarge this puppy." Counting down with Dan, Fox makes another kick, opening up the hole larger. "Lets continue till we have one big enough to really see in there." Once the hole is big enough he'll pull his big 5 D-cell maglite off his belt and shine it in the opening on wide dispersal to get as good a view in the building as possible.

James stopped looking at his hand and realized what was bothering him. James said,

"Any acid strong enough to hurt me would eat a zom's flesh down to nothing. OK, this is a super zom."

"Hey Fox! Let's cut part of the roof off, let some light in, and try to take out whatever it is at a range. Zom's are stupid and can sense us, I'll bet they'll stay near the wall where all the 'food' is."

James leaps to the roof, hopefully landing where it intersects with the brick wall.

{Q-Leap, -1 qp, Q-Pool: 19}

(Assuming this was successful and the roof is functional, James will use his 'sword' to start making foot wide holes in the roof. If he can figure out where the struts are he'll make the holes between them to preserve the roof's structural integrity.)

The roof isn't as functional as it appeared. James' leap puts him on the top, but his landing and his weight bear him through the roof, into the room, to land with a splash in the water-filled basement.

He landed on something, crushing it under his feet for a moment before it slimed out from under him with some violent thrashes.

On the good side, it was very well-lit in the room, showing the brownish-black slime that covered most surfaces in the room. The covered surfaces looked melted or corroded by the slime. Even some of the roof supports were glistening with the gunk.

Click to reveal..
Since James just acted, let's have that restart the combat rounds. It's important now to post in order as the zombies are able to reach someone now.

Dan descends into the room while remaining aloft and fires off a round into the strange oozing thing by Jame's feet. "Bad critter, no snack for you."

(regular for firearms attack (14:37:27) ChatBot: (Long) rolls 10d10 and gets 5,1,3,7,4,2,3,9,1,6.

mega (14:37:36) ChatBot: (Long) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,1.

(18:06:08) ChatBot: (Long) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,10.

Total 4 successes)

Archived