Nemesis Facility

Stargaizer

William, Samantha and Violet walked into the same round, brightly lit, metal room, at almost the same time from different doors. Besides the two doors that they came in, there was a third door between them, all clustered in one half of the room, and there was a single door on the other half of the room. Both of the other doors were closed, and there wasn’t anything else in the room.

William and Samantha were quickly followed by their respective ‘mentors’, who quickly shut the doors behind them, closing them off into the room. As Samantha’s ‘mentor’ entered, a lanky man with a brown trench coat and fedora, William noticed that he could no longer read peoples emotions, didn’t feel as strong, and felt a slight general lack of energy. Samantha also noticed that her powers were again suppressed as Null entered.

Draygo and Null exchanged a glance, then both turned and looked at the third door between them. They then turned and looked at their charges, waiting for their actions/reactions before they went any further.

Samantha felt how Violet’s presence quickly got suppressed again and with her absence insecurity crept up again. When she saw Draygo she almost yelped and made an awkward ‘jump’ backwards wanting to go back through the door she just came in. She was close to being terrified and had to fight off waves of nausea that almost made her faint.

This can’t be happening! What have I gotten into? I think I’ve lost my mind, this isn’t real! This isn’t happening!

Samantha was losing it and she started crying. She wanted to be home, she wanted to be safe. She wished she never left her parents house. Panic stricken she slowly slumped to the floor burrowing her face in her hands sobbing quietly.

Going through the gate was disorienting. The temperature, pressure, and humidity were all subtly different. In many ways it was like stepping off an airplane. It was even more awkward with the whole "no going back" statement which Will got right before he stepped through.

In the back of his mind he'd expected this. He'd thought earlier that God probably hadn't given him these powers to win football games, but it still was a shock to the system and added to his feeling of disorientation. He'd sort of thought he'd see his sister walk though one of the other doors when the pretty woman walked though, he lost his powers, and then she fell apart.

This at least was a distraction from his own problems, first rule is to keep the team from falling apart and Will didn't need empathy to realize what was going on. Will moved to the sobbing woman and tried to put his arm around her and say,

"Hush, it's ok. It's all going to work out fine, you'll see."

Samantha shyed away from the touch not realising it was the other 'normal' looking man that spoke to her. Between her fingers she looked at him and then simply embraced him giving in to her fear.

After a few seconds of intense crying and sobbing she slowly calmed down. "I'm sorry... I'm just scared. I don't understand what's this all about."

She looked at William through watery eyes obviously embarassed by her sudden outburst.

"Samantha. My name's Samantha.", she managed to say in between sobs. Wiping away her tears she struggled to regain her composure and tried to get on her feet again with the help from William.

There seemed to be more on her mind but she didn't say anything, instead she watched the 3rd door and tried to ascertain what the 'mentors' wanted them to do.

Draygo and Null both watched Samantha’s break down and William’s attempts to help. After Samantha and Will were both back on their feet, Null addressed William, ”Hello Will, or Bill, my name is Null.” He reached out his hand to shake, just like any other normal person would do with an introduction. Draygo, in turn, addressed Samantha, his voice rumbling deeply, ”Hello Samantha, I am Draygo.” Needless to say, he didn’t offer his hand for Samantha to shake.

Draygo then turned his attention to both of the ‘new recruits’. ”It’s a pleasure to meet you both, and we’re going to have plenty of time to get to know each other; we’re all going to be on the same team. Oh, and welcome to Nemisis.” He then walked around them towards the door that was by itself and opened it before turning his attention back to William and Samantha. ”If you two would follow me, I’ll give you the nickel tour before getting you settled in before we get started in earnest.”

Null stayed where he was, looking as if he didn’t intend to move, as Draygo stood by the door, holding it open so that they could walk out into the white tiled hallway beyond.

Will realized, *With a name like 'Null' dollars to donuts he's why I'm 'off' at the moment. Interesting that Draygo isn't shifting human.*

Will got up, shook Null's offered hand saying, "Will is fine", and moved to go out the door Draygo was holding open.

Samantha was glad that William was around. He gave her enough comfort and confidence to follow this through. As he moved towards the door she didn't stray from his side taking his arm and holding on to him.

Are you still there Violet?

She smiled at William trying to appear confident.

In Samantha’s head, Violet is still faint. Yeah, I’m still here Sam. Stay strong, I’m still here.

As Draygo leads them further down the hallway, away from the room with all the doors, they finally reach the end of Null’s field and they can feel their powers surge back into them. Even Draygo seems to stand a little taller once they leave Nulls area of effect.

Draygo speaks over his shoulder as they walk down the hallway. There aren’t many people that they pass in the hallway, but those that they do look normal, roughly middle class, and from a mix of racial backgrounds. Most of the at least give Draygo a nod of notice, but none of them give the two following behind him more than a passing glance.

”This is level one. This has the main portal which we just came through, rooms for newcomers, a lounge, library, and some other sections. The cafeteria is down on level two, and I’ll show you that a bit later, as is the training and examination rooms, which you’ll get acquainted with soon enough.” Draygo rounded a corner, in what was seeming more and more a labyrinth, and motioned to two doors, exactly opposite each other. ”Samantha, this is your room, William, this is yours. I hope you find it to your liking. If you need anything else, just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Now, we can finish the tour or you can get settled in and we can finish it some other time. Up to you.”

Draygo looked back and forth between the two of them, waiting for an answer.

Draygo turned to completely face them and looked at Samantha. "Null was sent to invite you because of the specific powers that you both posess. However, except for some specific training sessions, he is no longer assigned to you. He will still be around the base here, so there is always the chance that you two could run into each other, however it would be coincidence... that is unless you'd like to arrange a meeting..."

Throughout his answer, Draygo's tone remained neutral, simply answering the question. His emotions were glad to be home, and back to 'work'.

"Good.", said Samantha and smiled briefly. Closing her eyes she relinquished control to Violet feeling much more comfortable when she was present.

Before William's eyes Samantha seemed to hunch for a short moment only to straighten herself and then grow several inches until she reached about 6 feet in height. Her hair got longer and gained an almost magical sparkling quality unlike he has ever seen before. It had reflexes and layers of her original haircolor only much more vibrant and bright. Her facial features changed too as she changed from good looking to a goddess.

She clenched her fists and opened her eyes as a bright violet flash briefly shone from her eyes. Her body caught up with the increased size filling out rather dramatically giving her a very voluptous and curvy figure. She drew a few breaths before she addressed Draygo again. "I'm ready for the rest of the tour if you are.".

Even her voice changed completely sounding confident and sensual at the same time. Her pose reflected her nature - she was ready to conquer the world.

Will watched his companion change with surprise, quickly followed by interest and approval.

Although he managed to not drool or become incoherent he still looked her up and down and said,

"Wow. You've filled out changed."

Will judged anything else he said would only end up with his foot in his mouth so he stopped there.

Careful there boy. Her face is up there. It's not just physical either. Her emotional tone is a lot different... but there's an undertone as well.

So you like what you see, Will? I'm flattered by your effort to keep your thoughts 'clean'. My name is Violet by the way.

She gave William a mysterious yet seductive smile and extended her arm a little as if she was expecting to be lead by him through the tour.

Click to reveal..
She is using Telepathy on William, Draygo shouldn't be able to hear them unless he was a Telepath, too. As a side note for William - her 'aura' is completely different to that of Samantha. She is like a whole new person.

Originally Posted By: Violet
So you like what you see, Will? I'm flattered by your effort to keep your thoughts 'clean'. My name is Violet by the way.
*You can hear my thoughts? Surprise/Embarrassment/Failed-effort-to-not-think-of-Violet-naked/More-Embarrassment.*

For a moment Will closed his eyes, tried to regain his composure, then opened them and lost it again. Finally he laughed at himself and gave up, then he took Violet's offered arm to lead her through the tour.

Will struggled to keep his thoughts "PG" and attempted to send,

*It's not just physical is it? You're not Samantha. I could 'feel' her mind and yours is different.*

Oh no, I'm not Sam - not like you would understand I suppose. So you can obviously sense something beyond the 'normal', too? What is it, that you 'feel'?, Violet was very glad not being Samantha. There was also a hint of curiosity behind her question. She was getting a little bit more careful although she clearly enjoyed his fantasies about her. She even giggled for a short moment.

Will tried to send back,

*I'm still getting a handle on what I do and why, but I think I'm some flavor of Empath. I know how/what you feel...which has interesting applications if we...*

Will made a naked attempt to change the subject and continued with,

*So. Telepathy. Beauty. An alternate form/personality. Anything else?*

Nothing I'm willing to share just yet. I don't trust these people enough. On the other hand they may aswell already know and this is all just a test. You'll find out soon enough but for now lets enjoy the tour., there was an undertone in the way she send the message, something very calculating and cunning.

Draygo watched Samantha’s transformation into Violet with little more than curiosity. If William actually took the time to notice something other than Violet, he would notice a distinct lack of arousal, or even attraction emanating from Draygo. He just didn’t seem to be interested, at all, in Violet, at least not in that way. And he simply raised an eyebrow ridge at the verbal and obvious nonverbal exchange. He waited for what looked like an opening and cleared his throat, which honestly sounded more like a small explosion coming from him. ”If I may, and if you’re ready, we can continue.” Neither his emotion or tone were aggravated, just ready to move along.

Draygo took them on a tour of most of level one, showing other rooms, a large and extravagant library, complete with wood paneling, computers, and more first editions than you could shake a stick at.

The lounge had everything from leather sofas in front of televisions, to several different arcade games, to two lanes of bowling, to a smoking room, to a rock climbing wall. There was a little of everything ‘leisure’ related there. There was even a ‘wet’ section that had a sauna, hot tub and a more than Olympic sized swimming pool.

Besides the lounge, library and other ‘newcomer quarters’, there was a section that Draygo didn’t tour that he said were ‘for offices and administrative functions.’ And while he didn’t specifically say that they couldn’t go and explore in there on their own, his tone, mannerisms and emotions clearly stated that the shouldn’t need to go in there.

Then, Draygo showed them the elevator and stairs, and took them down to level 2. From the buttons in the elevator, there appeared to only be 4 levels to this facility. Once out of the elevator, they were immediately greeted by the sights and smells of the cafeteria. It was a large room, with individual round tables (6 chairs each), and a buffet/food bar style area to get food. There was also several different rooms which all appeared to be fully stocked kitchens, in case someone wanted to cook their own food, instead of eating what was served. Most of the food appeared, to the two of them, to be breakfast-y, and they noticed several different ethnicities that were represented. They also noted a distinct emptiness of the cafeteria, which Draygo explained as being due to the early hour.

The lounge, library and cafeteria were all open 24/7, and it was explained that there would always be food and the ability to cook (except when all the kitchens were occupied), no matter the time of night or day. They were also instructed that, at this point in time, that they were not to go anywhere on level 2 other than the cafeteria.

At no point in time did Draygo seem to be/feel to be withholding anything, and he answered any question he was asked as directly as possible.

Once finished showing off the cafeteria, he asked if they wanted to eat or go back to their rooms, and if they needed guided back to their rooms.

The facility as a whole, seemed to be concentric square hallways, with connecting passages at relatively even intervals, and even though it seemed a simple layout, it was still confusing the first time through.

Draygo looked to William, his voice as 'tour-guide-ish' as ever. "There are over two-hundred people that stay here, and each is the steward of at least one ability. Everybody here has been chosen, for one purpose or another.

Is there anything else?" He seemed ready to move on, but willing to stay until they were all finished.

"So we're basically held captive here until our so called training is over? Why do we need to get involved? Only because we are 'stewards' of our powers? Can you give me something better of an explanation than a fight between 'good' and 'evil'?", Violet's questions sounded more like accusations. She was slowly getting pissed.

Then she suddenly changed her attitude and sighed. "I guess you can't tell us anything about it or are not allowed to. Giving the options at hand I'd like to go to my quarters now."

And we compare notes once we're in our rooms, Will. I don't want to fight a war I've got nothing to do with.

Before they turn to leave Will asks,

"Steward implies the powers are separate from ourselves. If I die will someone else pop up with Super-Strength and the rest?"

Will thinks back, *I'd love to be alone in a bedroom with you.* *We do need to compare notes. I think the other team already tried to kill me. They knew my name and where I'd be.*

I don't believe any of this until I found something that convinces me. I won't risk Sam's life if I get a chance to avoid conflict. She gave William a good look as if she appraised him like a diamond and then added.

Say, you have Super Strength? I'd like you to protect me if things get nasty here. I promise to do my best to do my share of the deal.

Click to reveal..
Using Telepathy Rank 3 on William to implant the desire to protect her
Click to reveal.. (rolls)

Telepathy for Violet 9d10.hits(8) - [2,1,1,1,1,4,3,1,2] = -5sux (quintuple botch)

Defense for William 8d10.hitsopen(6,10) - [1,4,4,8,4,3,3,7] = 1sux

Violet tried to implant that desire into William, but as she did, something went seriously wrong. Both William and Violet heard feedback in their heads, making them both wince in pain. Once William got over the ‘ringing’ in his ears, he would notice that he couldn’t feel the emotions of others. The effect was worse on Violet though, first it implanted the desire to protect in Samantha, not William or Violet, and second, it ‘KO’ed’ Violet, shunting her to the background, bringing Samantha to the forefront, and leaving them, at least temporarily, unable to switch.

Draygo looked first at Violet then at William, taking in both of their questions, and then watching them both recoil in pain and Violet revert to Samantha before speaking. His voice was quick and concerned. ”Are you two ok? You were speaking telepathically, weren’t you? Or were you trying to do something else?”

As he continued, His tone slowed down, and it got slightly more lecture-ish. ”You have these special abilities and you don’t know how to completely control them. You should be more cautious with them until you gain a better grasp of how they work and exactly what you can do. If you were to do the wrong thing telepathically, you could of ended up leaving Will here thinking that he was a 10 year old girl, or you could’ve ended up barking like a dog or clucking like a chicken.”

Draygo slowed down and took a breath. His tone went from ‘lecture’ to ‘confidant’, and he paused to emphasize the fact that he didn’t mean to rip into them too much. ”Look, you can do great things with these new abilities that you have, but you can also do a lot of damage; trust me, I know. That’s one of the things that we can do for you. There are those of us here who may have one or two of the abilities that you do, and we can share how we’ve learned to control them, and help you do the same. Otherwise you’re going to be a menace to yourself and those around you.

And to answer the questions Violet had earlier, Sam, no, you’re not captives. If you really want to leave, you can, but know that we’ll have to wipe your memory of all of this if you do decide that; and there won’t be any turning back. And, I’ll let you know right now that, besides the ‘good guys’ and the ‘bad guys’, that there is a governmental agency out there that would love to do nothing more than round us all up, lock us away and throw away the key. And if you turn your back on us, then we can’t protect you from them.

I will be perfectly honest with you though, our help doesn’t come free. We help you learn to control your abilities, and once you do, we’ll expect that you help us. Now I know that this must all seem cloak and dagger to you right now, but give us a few days, see what we have to offer, and just give us a chance.

Now, if you’d like to go to your rooms now, that’s completely understandable. You’ve both had a long day.”

Draygo waited to make sure that they actually were ok, and to see if they needed more info before they headed back to their rooms.

Click to reveal.. (OOC)
No Empathy for William or Violet for Sam for the rest of the scene. Violet’s ‘presence’ is still there, she just can’t answer. She’s ‘KO’ed.

Originally Posted By: Violet
I don't believe any of this until I found something that convinces me. I won't risk Sam's life if I get a chance to avoid conflict. She gave William a good look as if she appraised him like a diamond and then added.

Say, you have Super Strength? I'd like you to protect me if things get nasty here. I promise to do my best to do my share of the deal.
*Yeah, Super Strength and some other stuff I don't fully underst...* "Ow!!!"

Will looked at Samantha accusingly before he was interrupted by Draygo.

Quote:
Draygo waited to make sure that they actually were ok, and to see if they needed more info before they headed back to their rooms.
With a headache Will headed back to his room.

Alexandra walked into the same round, brightly lit, metal room, that William, Samantha and Violet did, except that she came in through the center of the three doors. As she entered, she saw Draygo standing in the middle of the room, and she was quickly followed by Morph, who shut the door behind them.

Draygo didn’t seem to threatening, as he dipped his head slightly in a nod of acknowledgement, and he simply said, his voice so low that it could be felt as much as heard, ”Welcome Alexandra to the Nemesis facility. My name is Draygo, and I am the leader of the team that you’ve been assigned to.”

After the barrage of questions that the rest of his team had had, Draygo waited for the inevitable before proceeding.

She looks around, moderately weirded out by the transport. She looks over Draygo and nods once. She had a plethora of questions, but she got the feeling that he'd already answered them at least once.

"I won't ask where I am, but I do want to know what team you're refferring to. If you know who I am then it's likely you know why I'm here too. My big question is how is it that I am the way I am. What or who were those beings of Light and Shadow I saw the other night, and why was I "Chosen?"

Draygo nodded, acknowledging each of Alexandra's questions. He opened the door out into the hallway, motioning Alexandra through as he answered. "The team that I refer to is the two other people, besides the two of us, that you will learn to control and use your powers with. The four of us will practice and learn together." Once out in the hallway, Draygo gave Morph a final nod and escorted Alexandra down the hallway.

”This is level one. This has the main portal which we just came through, rooms for newcomers, a lounge, library, and some other sections. The cafeteria is down on level two, and I’ll show you that a bit later, as is the training and examination rooms, which you’ll get acquainted with soon enough.” Draygo rounded a corner, in what was seeming more and more a labyrinth, and motioned to the door right next to Samantha and Violet's. "This is your room Alexandra, and these are the rooms of your teammates, William in here and Samantha and Violet in this one.

Draygo continued on the same tour that he had given to Samantha and William, trying to hit Alexandra’s questions one at a time as he went.

”Let’s start with who those ‘beings’ were, the glowing and the shadowy figures that appeared when you were chosen. They were simply messengers. You see, there are two forces that have been at war since the creation of this world. That struggle is beyond the perception of most beings on this planet, the struggle between good and evil, between the minions of heaven and those of hell. Some creatures have a wider range of perception than others, while others prove their worth to one side or the other. Whatever the reason for their choosing, some are chosen; and you are one of those. Which is the best answer that I can give you as to why you.

As for how you are the way that you are, well, that’s a bit different. Basically, you have been chosen by one of the sides as the steward of your particular set of abilities. As such, you have been granted that particular set of abilities; they are now a part of you. Call it a gift, a calling, an imbuement of power, or whatever you want. In a nutshell, everything that’s happened to you thus far boils down to: You’ve impressed either the side of good or bad, and they saw fit to choose you as steward of a special set of abilities and thus made them a part of who you are.

Clear as mud?” Draygo shrugged as he looked at Alexandra and curled back his lips in what was apparently meant to be a smile, but actually just ended up showing off his rows of razor sharp teeth.

She nodded as they passed the different rooms, trying to catalogue it all so she could come back to it later.

The answer to her question was all so out there to her it made a sort of sense. "So These forces Imbued me with the different abilities I've got, so that I can do what, fight the imbued fighters from the other side?"

She looks rather guardedly at his teeth. "And just which side are the four of us going to be on?" She left the other part unsaid. Because I think Leslie's on the other side. This visibly darkened her mood. She didn't want to fight her friend, that wasn't how things should be.

Realizing his 'smile' didn't have the intended effect (showing humor), Draygo stopped 'smiling' and thought for a brief moment before continuing. "In all honesty Alexandra, we don't have all the answers. Yes, we have been imbued with abilities, and yes we've learned how to control them, and yes, we've even gotten into some scraps with those who would destroy the world as we know it with their powers... but as to why we've been imbued... well, you'll just have to ask them if you see them." Draygo chuckled, which sounded disturbingly like rolling thunder.

He then turned to lead her to the final destination on the tour, the cafeteria, before answering her last question. "Why, we're on the right side Alexandra, we're the good guys. We're the ones who work, and fight if need be, to protect the world."

And with that, he led Alexandra into the Cafeteria.

((OOC: Cont'd in the Cafeteria))

• 2 weeks later...

Draygo carried Violet's limp body quickly down the hallway, William and Alexandra quick in tow.

The medical quarters, on first glance, looked more like a military base med-bay. However, on further inspection, this simple 'med-bay' was more technologically advanced than any hospital that any of the three had ever heard of. Every single piece of diagnostic equipment that could be thought of could be found in these medical quarters as well as many others that couldn't be immediately identified.

Draygo rushed in, gently placing Violet on a gurney. His voice, deep as it was, really carried in the medical quarters, despite being full of curtians and equipment. "DOC! Get over here!"

From the back part of the medical quarters came a smallish Indian man. He had perfect complexion and proportions, and though he had an air of authority and age, he looked only in his thirties, maybe fourties. His voice, however, sounded much more like someone in their seventies or eighties and still had an Indian accent. "Would you keep it down you big oaf? You know, I still remember when... oohh newcomers, how nice of you boy. Let's see what we have here..." And with that he started hovering over Violet's body, poking and prodding and examining. Then, absent-mindedly he waived towards the next gurney over. "... go over there somewhere... ooh that's interesting..."

At the doctor's heedance, Draygo went, meekly to the gurney indicated and sat down. (interestingly enough the gurney didn't even groan, much less flex or break under his weight) It was apparent who was boss here in the medical quarters, and it wasn't Draygo.

Violet opened her eyes and almost jumped off the gurney, "Get off of me you fucking pervert!"

She looked around the room and slowly realized what was going on. "I'm sorry... but this is just too much.", she said in a vague attempt to apologize.

"I really tried as hard as I could but Draygo was too heavy... just too heavy...", Violet shook her head disappointed about herself.

"I guess I'm not much a fighter."

Will responded,

"Na. Don't worry about it. This was a mismatch and our first time on the field and our first time together. Also that 'hold him up in the air' thing, that's going to be huge. Seriously, I thought you did pretty well out there."

Will is apparently serious (if V reads his mind she'll find out he is serious).

Will answered, "Yes, seriously. There's an expression, 'Team work, to be better than the best.'"

"And that 'hold-him-in-the-air' thing just screams teamwork. For that matter you might be able to telepathically convince foes to attack each other, that sort of thing. We learned two new powers, we showed the beginnings of team work, so I'd call that a success. The rookie B-team lost to the A-Team, but hey, that's why it's called training."

Archived