Aberrant: Stargate Universe - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

3rd floor on the same side of the hall as the artifact room.

Elevators are at the middle of the building in the front. When you exit the elevators the main hall goes both left and right and another leads straight ahead. The front hall is where the prisoners are. Team romeo is a the far left end of the hallway. The Artifact room is just to the right of the elevators across the hall. Samuel's office is to the left on the same side of the hall as the artifact room diagonally across from the elevators.

Team alpha will be coming out of a stairwell at the back of the building that leads into the corridor that leads to the front of the building and the elevators. As they exit the stairwell there is also a cross hallway that goes parallel to the main hall at the front of the building, but there are no guards in that corridor and it doesn't look used.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fox...I honestly don't mean to be argumentative for its own sake and there is a real possibility that I read your die rolls wrong (in which case please correct me)...but if Dana currently has a soak rating of 15 bashing and 12 lethal, how did she take 2 levels of lethal damage? That would mean that they rolled at least a total 13 damage and I didn't see that in your post...

My issue was only with the math. I am not understanding Fox's posts. I was concerned maybe I am reading them wrong:

Quote:
(BG1) rolls 16d10 and gets 8,7,3,7,5,1,6,3,3,7,7,7,8,9,7,5. [9]

(BG2) rolls 16d10 and gets 7,10,8,1,2,6,4,8,7,3,4,4,10,6,10​,6. [7]

(BG1 damage) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,3,1,9. [2]

(BG2) rolls 1d10 and gets 5. [0]

So we have two attack rolls. One is a 9 and one is a 7. That should yield [weapon damage+5]-(soak) damage dice. And [weaponn damage+1]-(soak) damage dice.

So Fox thought I meant 9 soak rather than +9 meaning that the gun does 8 dice plus attack sux?

And for all of you in the peanut gallery, Fox is making this game explicitly more about combat and action and it behooves us all to work out any kinks in the math now. So please kindly stop poking at me. Rev I am looking at you.

Moving right along...

If the gun did 8+5 then it would have been 13 damage dice-soak of 12 so 1 die of damage. For expediences sake we can keep the roll and count the first die, being a 10 would mean 1 level of lethal damage. Steve is also right..this is a burn character so I can't keep this up forever...as you are abot to see...

Im going to post now.

You'll see lots of issues with my math.

a) I'm terrible at math, always have been. Not likely to improve.

B) I am very rusty on the combat mechanics of the ST system. As you noticed LM was much more about role play than roll play. The few instances of combat in that game were mostly me letting you roll and me narrating what happened.

I am getting some on the job training right now for the combat mechanics since this game will be the most combat intensive I've ever run. It's going to be a long process, but I'm trying.

If I make a mistake send me a PM and I'll correct it. OR, better yet if it makes little or no difference to the story just ignore the mistake. Trust that I will not let your character die in vain. A little blood here and there makes for some interesting scenes. Taylor Price just got Maimed and he hasn't issued a complaint.

Having a character that never gets hurt because they are too Uber to be touched is BORING. That is munchkinism. If you do this, then thy name be MARY SUE!

(I have been guilty of this myself on occasion, I hope I've learned from it.)

Now I know no one here would do such a thing and everyone wants a good story they can be a part of, so lets ignore my many many math mistakes and get back to some good story telling, ok? smile <--- Fox points at the smiley face to note that his tone is light and he is being cheerful and not nasty.

Taylor Price also didn't invest heavily in defense I take it. He got what he (didn't) pay for. With the amount of flak I take publicly there must be twice as much snickering "behind my back."

Honestly---and this doesn't apply to everyone---but I REALLY am tired of the incessant labeling and jabs toward me by some. I don't go around telling you people how you should design or play your characters so please step off.

Jaunt, Rev, Dave...this goes especially for you. Fox wants this game to be combat oriented...that means it has to be FAIR which means actually following the rules. Go ahead and blast me with enough damage to render me unconscious...it isn't snivelling to insist that the math be correct since it does happen to be a game we are playing and you should get what you pay for. If that means you spent all your points on defense so be it.

You probably won't believe me but my issue was toward consistency and nothing more. I insist on the same level of fairness and accuracy for you and everyone else...

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
With the amount of flak I take publicly there must be twice as much snickering "behind my back."

Three times, actually.

Sky, I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously when you say you want equality and fairness in the game when the rest of the PCs seem pretty on the level in terms of design and you're standing behind enough soak to 'puny human' about anything and dishing out close to double digit aggravated damage.

But! If that's what you made, so be it. Enjoy the game.

Oh, and best bet if Fox kicked your ass right out of the gate with auto-fire and you died over something like incorrect math than hell yeah I'd say something, and believe it or not, it wouldn't be: 'good job, toss in a grenade to sure'. I'd ask him to, in all fairness, double check the numbers or if he's unfamiliar with the rules, have one of us do it as well to help confirm. I may despise you, but still believe in fairness.

People are shooting guns, and even the most powerful of people takes a few scratches. I saw nothing unreasonable with a couple boxes taken regardless of soak. That's just me though, I'm crazy like that.

Personally! As the ST, I don't think Fox should be showing math at all. Just roll and tell us what we're up against. At the table I don't explain myself to the PCs, I sure as hell don't expect Fox to have to do it to me. If he says Jaunt takes a box or two of damage, then it happens. I trust Fox to do us right, if not, Dec and I will be knocking his door in the dead of night with woodchucks and raincoats.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Rev. After the prologue I probably will stop showing my end of the math. I really do want to learn the mechanics better though. So showing it for now will help me get on track as you guys point out where I'm screwing up. smile

Thank God! I hate it when the ST shows me the math. smile

While we are getting math correct:

From Dec

Quote:
Cha + Command roll: 3 dice

(18:48:14) ChatBot: (Dec) rolls 3d10 and gets 4,7,1.

= 1 succ

If he has silver eyes that mean taint 4 right? So a +1 difficulty on social roles means its actually 0 successes...since there was a 1 in there too it is technically a botch as well which makes sense since Dec is so scary...

Archived