Alexandra Holt :Track and Field [Complete]

Ally Kat

It was another big meet in the regional tournament. Everyone who was anyone was here. Alexandra knew she had to do her best. Her team was counting on her in the distance running and a few of the other events.

Of course, SHE was here too. Rianna had been the bane of her existance since their falling out. She was one of the rare women who could run as long and fast as she could.

Leslie and erin were there in the stands to cheer Alexandra on, but she just felt more pressure. "Dammit."

She muttereed as she went through her stretching routine, The meet wouldn't start for another half hour. She made her rounds through the rest of the track team trying to reassure everyone that today would be a good day and they'd defend their winning streak.

As she made her rounds, the rest of her team seemed to cheer up. This season had taken its toll on the morale of the team. Their winning streak hadn’t started until after a few losses, and more often than not, their wins were almost losses. That, coupled with long, long hours of practice, had worked together to wear everybody down. But, the reassurance of their MVP went a long way to bolster their feelings. It even went a ways to make Alexandra feel better... until she walked up.

Rianna walked up to Alexandra, right in the middle of her school’s warm up area, as if the entire track belonged to her. Then she started in on Alexandra with in her sickly sweet voice. “Hey, Lexie, ready to get beat again? You know, I hear that we’re both in all of the same events, except, of course, the discus and javelin. But, you never were very good with those, were you? Coach picked me to fill in for Joann. Remember her, our 3 time state champion? Coach says that he thinks I can keep us in the running, since she sprained her ankle last week. Wonder who your coach would pick to fill in for those?”

With that, Rianna gave a knowing shrug and turned to head back to her school’s area. She always was one who wanted the last word, and so she looked to want to leave before her old rival could figure out any sort of comeback.

"Just walk away, you're good at that Ria."

She turned and then went over to thetwo girls who would be competeing against her in discus and javelin. "I'm counting on you two to shut her down. I'm going to do my part."

She nodded once and smiled. "But remember, have fun out here. "We're here to win it's true, but if we can't have fun while we're here, then it becomes like a job and work."

Inwardly she wanted nothing more than to paste Rianna to the turf within the track's boundaries, but she knew better than to give in to that urge. Better to be constructive with my anger.

In response to Alexandra, Rianna simply looked over her shoulder and flipped her long, luxurious hair. The two girls who would be competing against her, overheard the exchange and looked a little disconcerted, and Alexandra’s first response to them didn’t seem to help much. However, her second take with them worked much better. She could actually see the weight lifting from their shoulders, and, they actually smiled as they responded in unison “You too, Katie.”

Alexandra walked away to finish warming up, her friends in the stands cheered her on, and everybody from Barbe High School seemed to settle down into an easy mood. After all, Alexandra and Rianna had already had their spat this meet, and Katie at least seemed to have come out of it cool.

Then, before she knew, warm up was ready and it was time to start the meet...

Click to reveal..
3cha + 1Empathy = 4d10

Diff 7

4d10 [7,10,9,3] = 3sux = 3(remarkable)sux

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1881490/

Also, the results of the meet are in a PM to you.

The Meet went extremely well for Barbe in the opening events.

Alexandra and Riannna had four big matchups for this meet, the same four they always met in.

In their first match, Alexandra and Rianna tied in the fist Event, the 100m dash.

The second matchup, the 300m Alexandra showed her greater distance running skills and managed to beat out Rianna for a clear win.

Alexandra's teammate managed to tie for first in discus and then win outright in the Javelin.

The Third matchup the 1km run, Rianna stepped up her game and managed to tie a tiring Alexandra. This served to Incense her horribly, that she nearly lost to Rianna in her event.

The fourt matchup came in the final leg of the 4-man relay. They recieved the baton at virtually the same time and Alexandra shot off like a rocket pouring all her anger into her legs and using it to boost her speed. She heard Rianna cry out but didn't even spare a glance as she fell on the track. She kept on running and won the relay for Barbe.

She made her way to the bench, sweating profusely, and took a towel and a water bottle from the trainer. She walked it off for a minute and took a moment to survey her team. There were some injuries pulled muscles and such, but that was to be expected. She nodded and went to thank both the girls who'd done their part in the Discus and Javelin. "I think we've got a shot to take it all here. Let's put this one away."

Alexandra didn’t have long with her team before the lights and siren of the ambulance that was stationed at the track made their way off towards the local hospital. Shortly thereafter, there was an announcement over the PA system that Rianna did indeed have a broken ankle, but that she was otherwise fine. At the announcement that she was ‘going to be fine’, there was a wave of applause that rippled through the gathered spectators, as well as many of the contestants.

The rest of the meet was relatively uneventful, and there was actually a bit of satisfaction (at least on the Barbe HS team) that Rianna wasn’t there to claim any of her prizes, especially since this meant that Alexandra didn’t have to share the first place box.

After the awards were over and everybody was packing up, one of the girls from the team came up to Alexandra. She was one of the ones on the team who was dating one of the football players. Her voice was cheerful, but she kept it down slightly, obviously meaning for this to not travel much further than the two of them. “Hey, Katie, the football team won last night, and we won tonight, so some of the guys are throwing a party over at Jimmy’s house on the lake. We’d like you to come, and you can bring your friend too.” She pointed over to the stands, and where both Leslie and Erin were sitting at the beginning of the meet, only Leslie could be seen, gathering her things and getting ready to leave like everyone else. “What do you say? Can we count on our MVP to show her school spirit?” She finished with a smile.

She nods. "Alright I'll be there." She walked away and went over to Leslie.

"So, what do you think? Aside from the plethora of injuries we seemd to have today I think things went really well." She's oviously intrigued.

"Where did Erin go?" She asks. "I'd like her opinion on things too."

“You did very well, four first place medals even if you had to share two of them with that witch. At least she finally got what was coming to her. Must be karma or something, you know, to have that happen at Regionals your Senior year. Right?” Leslie replied, completely unsympathetic to Rianna’s misfortune.

“Oh, Erin? She went to go get the car started, that way it could get cooled down before we get there. You ready to head out? Need me to help you with anything?”

Everybody was pretty much ready to go, so her leaving shouldn’t be a problem, but procedure dictated she check with Coach first. The car ride home with Leslie and Erin would be the perfect time to invite them to the party tonight. Plus, this way, Erin and herself would be able to double-team Leslie; there was no way she was going to skip out on this one.

"Nahh i got it. I'm gonna go check with Coach Viator, then I'll meet you at the car."

She left and made her way to the coach. "Hey Coach. Not to bad today eh?" She was happy, and a bit prideful in their showing and it showed, but she felt they and she had earned a moment or two to be proud.

"Do you have anything else for me?"

"No, Practice is on monday, but other than that just go have fun and enjoy cyour victory. You girls earned it today."

She leaves with a broad grin on her face and climbs into the waiting car. She waits till they get on the road before turning on Leslie.

"Ok so there's this big party tonight and everyone is going. You've both got to come."

Erin had her country music cranked up when Alexandra got there, as usual. And, as usual, Erin turned it down once she got there, meaning that they could actually talk, and that they could actually hear the invitation.

Erin was excited, “Oh, the one at Jimmy’s house, I heard about that last night. It was going to be good when the football team’s when was all that we were celebrating, but now I’m sure it’s going to be hopping. It might even turn out to be the party of the year... Think Adam will be there? Think he’ll wanna...?” She finished with a lusty gleam in her eye.

Leslie, of course, was a different story. “No, I don’t think I’ll be able to make it. I have a report that is due on Monday, and besides, it’ll probably be all you sports people, you know how they are. I seriously doubt that I’d even know anybody there, and if there’s going to be drinking and... well... you know... you know how I feel about those types of parties...”

Erin simply gave Alexandra a sidelong ‘you going to handle it this time?’ look and kept driving.

Alexandra looked at Leslie. "All the more reason for you to come. You need to live a little sometimes Les, and you were actually invited to this. So come on and come to the party. You won't make any new friends if you don't ever go out and meet new people."

"Besides I know you won't drink anything and we need somebody to be responsible and drive home afterwards. I also have a report due monday, and you said you'd help me. well tonight we're gonna go celebrate, then tomorrow We'll do the project reports. Fair deal?"

Leslie reluctantly agreed to the arrangement and the trio made their way to each of their homes to clean up and change. Erin Pulled up with Leslie in the car. Alexandra came out in a pair of jeans and a navy blue t-shirt and climbed in. "Let's roll."

Alexandra looked to Erin. "Just remember to make him work for every inch. you don't want any of them to talk, and be sure to fix all your own drinks."

The ride over was relatively uneventful, except for the fact that Erin ‘casually informed’ them of everything that everybody who was going to be at the party had done in the last month. However, thanks to Erin’s planning and driving, they were some of the first people to show up.

Jimmy lived in the upper class part of town, in a two story tan house that was actually partially over the lake. Jimmy’s parents were probably out of town for the weekend, thus explaining why he was able to house the party, and so there wasn’t anybody outside on the lawn, as there would be during a college party, and whatever music that they must’ve been playing inside didn’t carry, not even to the driveway.

Even though she’d made it all the way to the driveway, Alexandra and Erin still had to pull and prod Leslie out of the car, and then they had to convince her to leave the book she was carrying as well as the one that she’d tried to stash in her purse. Neither of which she liked.

Once inside, there were maybe 15 or 20 people, about half of them were football players, and the rest of them a mix of track, cheerleaders and various popular kids. There was a good dance mix going and the ever present red plastic cups. The party was just getting started, but it looked as if it had the potential to fulfill Erin’s expectations.

Alexandra and Erin mixed in Well, though Leslie was pretty much a wallflower for most of the party. There was of course drinking weed and smoking, not because anyone really enjoyed it, but more because it was expected to do something that was illegal when you had the chance. Alexandra carefully refused to partake in any of it, knowing she could be disqualified easily if she couldn't pass a drug test. She lost track of Erin and just assumed she was off with her boyfirend. "I hope she doesn't get too drunk."

She makes her way over to Leslie. "Thanks for coming. You really should try to mingle more though." She smiles, doing her best to get her friend to come out of her shell."

Alexandra and Erin mixed in well indeed, but besides just being a wallflower, Leslie wasn’t well received in general. Alexandra and Erin got waves, nods and congratulations about their recent achievements, Leslie just got turned heads, hushed words and laughs and giggles. Though, once she retreated to the corner she’d staked out, most people simply ignored her.

Alexandra’s efforts with Leslie started a couple of the groups to talking again, but all in all they didn’t seem to be bothering Leslie too much, at least on the surface. When she replied, she seemed like her usual self. “Oh, yeah, well no, no don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. No, really, trust me, this isn’t unlike any of the other parties you’ve gotten me to go to. See, I have my book, that gives me something to do, and I even have it down here, not up in my face. It’s a signal that I’m not so into it that I’m unapproachable, ok? If anybody wants to talk to me I’ll be more than happy to entertain them, but until then, I’m having my own kind of fun, ok?”

After that, Erin caught Alexandra’s eye from across the room, motioning that she had something important to tell her, alone. Once Alexandra made her way over, Erin pulled her aside and spoke in a very hushed tone. “Jimmy asked Melissa, who told Danielle, who told Jenny who asked Audrey who let it slip to me that you weren’t supposed to bring Leslie. Sandra said that Jeremy said that Samantha told him that she was very specific when she invited you that it was just supposed to be the two of us. And, Jamie said that Kelly heard that Philip saw you talking to Adrian, telling her that you didn’t like Jimmy and that you wanted to ruin his party and that’s why you brought Leslie, and that you’d probably call the cops on us because of the all the pot and beer. Now why’d you have to go and do something like that for? You wouldn’t really do that, would you, because me and James were about to, you know, and I don’t want the cops busing in and catching us, because that’d be so embarrassing and my parents would kill me...” Finished, Erin just stood there, completely serious, waiting for an answer.

Alexandra spears Erin with a harsh gaze. "If you really think I'd narc you all out, then I just need to leave then. Just because I don't join in the festivities doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself. And Leslie isn't bothering anyone. If anything she's our best weapon here. If the cops did show up they would more likely believe her that things were ok, or would you rather take your chances with some of these others here answering the door drunk, high or bare-assed when a cop shows up?"

It hurt a little to be so harsh to both of them. She wanted Leslie there because they were friends, and friends should always share the good times. What she just said made it seem like she was using Leslie, but she wasn't.

She knew it would get back to her, and hoped that Leslie would forgive her and let her explain why she'd said it that way.

Erin blinked and shrank back a little as Alexandra land-blasted her. Her voice was understandably defensive. “I know that, I just wanted to, you know, hear it from you. And don’t worry about anything; I’m sure that I can get something going that’ll make everybody forget about this.” She started to walk away, the gears of gossipmongering obviously turning before she stopped and said hopefully, “We’re still good, right?”

After the encounter with Erin, Alexandra hoped to be able to explain what she’d said to Leslie before she heard it from someone else, but she was nowhere to be found. What Alexandra did notice, however, was that she was starting to see movement out of the corner of her eyes when nothing was there, and that the shadows were starting to get a little darker, even though the rooms themselves didn’t seem to be.

Alexandra smiled "Of course." Her new vision issues were disorienting to say the least. In truth it was starting to creep her out. She kept it to herself though and kept trying to find Leslie. It wasn't like her to just vanish like this, and that worried Alexandra.

Alexandra scoured the entire downstairs for Leslie and came up empty handed. Of course, now that the party was in full swing, there were more people, and it would be easy to loose anyone who kept moving around, even if they wanted to be found; so Alexandra started asking around.

Unfortunately, Leslie wasn’t well known in this group of people, so most of them didn’t recognize her name, but there was a lot of ‘oh, your geeky friend’ and ‘oh that weird one that came with you’. Unfortunately, hardly anybody seemed to have even known she was even at the party (her wallflower camouflage apparently worked) much less where she was, and those that knew she was here either didn’t care or didn’t want her there and so either hadn’t noticed or stayed as far away as possible.

So, it seemed as if Leslie had disappeared into thin air, when finally somebody that Alexandra asked had an answer besides a shrug of the shoulders. “Oh yeah, that geek girl that tagged along with you, yeah, I think I saw her head upstairs. She didn’t seem too happy and I thought I heard her mumble something about leaving... don’t know why she went upstairs though, only way out up there is to take a swan dive off the balcony or climb through a window. Why wouldn’t she just use the front door?” And then, as if on cue, there was a blood curdling female scream as a girl ran through the door that led upstairs in nothing but a sheet.

The humor of the sight was tempered by the scream and the fact that she was almost hyperventilating as she recounted the tale of how some crazed lunatic girl barged in on her and her boyfriend and went out on the balcony saying that she was going to jump... and that she had actually gotten up on the railing.

Murmurs spread through the gathering of people, as at the scream the party had stopped. Now the talk amongst the people gathered to listen to the tale told by the sheet wrapped girl was a mix between ‘she might actually do it’, ‘looks like someone’s had too much to smoke/drink’ and ‘someone oughta do something’.

Alexandra frowns and makes her ways upstairs and stops when she sees a pair of gloing red eyes in the darkness of the stairwell.

She continued, and the "afterimages" in her field of vision were getting worse. She stopped just at the door and knocked carefully on the open door. She peered in and was met by alot of glowing red eyes.

"Leslie, it's Alexandra. Are you in here?" Her voice betrayed her apprehension at the situation and for the first time people could hear fear in her voice.

"What on earth is going on here?"

The room that she peered into was so large that it had to be the master bedroom. There was a large 4-poster bed off to the left, with bedding that was so mussed that there wasn’t any kind of questioning what the couple was doing before Leslie showed up. Off to the right were the dressers and a darkened television set. The only light in the room, besides the glowing red eyes, was a faint moonlight coming from the opened doors to the balcony.

The boyfriend was nowhere to be found, but through the opened doors, the faint moonlight was just enough to silhouette Leslie as she stood on the banister, hair gently swaying in the breeze. In response to Alexandra’s question, Leslie replied simply. Her voice contained all the tears that Alexandra couldn’t see, as well as years of guilt, torment and depression. This was a side of her best friend that she didn’t know existed. “Yeah Alley Kat, I’m here. This is it. I can’t take it anymore. The whispers, the looks, the laughing, I just can’t take it anymore. I know what you’re going to say, but you’re wrong. I don’t have the looks, I don’t have the contacts, I don’t have the resources to make it, not just in High School, but especially in the real world. I have no experience, I have no marketability, and I’m not going to resign myself to a life of minimum wage in the food service industry.”

Whether it was the change in light from a passing cloud or from Leslie turning, Alexandra would never know, but with a shimmer in her vision she was actually able to see a tall dark figure standing beside Leslie on the railing. He seemed to absorb all the light that hit him as he leaned over to whisper something in Leslie’s ear. Leslie didn’t seem to notice, and she didn’t respond at all, but when it straightened up, Leslie sighed and spoke again. “Katie, if I were going to miss anybody after I died, it would be you and Erin. Would you tell her that for me? You two are the only friends that I have, and probably the only ones who will miss me when I’m gone. But please, don’t cry too hard, it’ll be better this way, I promise...”

"NOOOO!!" She screams as she bursts into motion at full speed, still tired form the meet, adrenaline surges through her, her concern for Leslie pushes her forward faster than anything else had today.

She reaches out stretching to her limit to keep her friend here. "I don't want to lose anyone else I care for."

The tall figure was almost completely ignored until She grabbed Leslie's hand. Everything else was secondary. I'm not going to let you give up this way. You are stronger than this."

Alexandra ran towards Leslie, reaching out for her, but she never got there. Her vision blurred to the point that it looked like she was running down a tunnel, but she never got any closer. It was like a bad nightmare, the harder she ran, the more she felt as if her feet were trapped in cement; and at the end of the tunnel, she saw Leslie turn in slow motion. Every ripple in her clothes, every sway of her hair was seen in excruciating detail as Leslie turned and Alexandra wanted nothing more than to reach her.

Then, in a flash, it was all over. Alexandra noticed that she’d moved no more than a handful of steps, in what seemed like half an hour of trying to run, and standing there between her and Leslie and the shadowy figure, was a man. This man seemed to be the exact opposite of the shadowy figure, as light seemed to emanate from his body. He had short cut beautiful blond hair, beautiful yet fair skin, and was wearing a white shirt and jeans. He turned slowly to face Alexandra, and his gorgeous, piercing blue eyes locked with her, staring deep into her soul. His voice was deep and commanding, yet calming and soothing. While he was looking at her, his eyes never left hers, and he simply said “Fear not, you have been chosen.” The odd part was that, even though he didn’t say anything else before he turned his attention to the shadowy figure and Leslie, she knew that the ‘you’ meant not only her but Leslie as well.

The glowing man turned, and his focus settled on the shadowy figure. The shadowy figure’s voice was shallow and raspy, cold and left an oily feeling on her skin, even though it wasn’t her to whom it spoke, especially because she couldn’t understand the language it was speaking.

The glowing man replied, and while his voice was still deep and soothing, it had the ring of absolute authority to it this time. He spoke in the same language of the shadowy figure, and as he spoke, the creatures with the red eyes let out a hiss. And from what Alexandra could tell, Leslie either didn’t notice what was happening or didn’t care, as she looked down at the water and spread her arms.

Then, everything started to go blurry. The last thing that she remembered seeing as she fell slowly to the floor was Leslie gently and almost gracefully slipping from the railing of the balcony to the waters below.

--TO BE CONTINUED--

Archived