Crusades Char Gen/House Rules

Stargaizer

We will be using the 'Mutants in the WoD' system that is linked in my signature. For clarification, the setting is not WoD.

Basic Setting Info:

Set around October 2002

Broad theme is good guy team vs. bad guy team, so I would like everybody to be at least a marginally good guy, or at very least someone who could fairly easily defect to the good guys.

Game will be real-world-ish... hopefully it'll get to the point of epic, sweeping adventures/missions/consequences. As such, there may be some four-color in it, but it should be limited if it creeps in.

Characters don't have to have any common background, or even a common starting location, though I would prefer everybody to start out in the U.S.

This, at least in the beginning, will be a bit of a coming of age, so I'd prefer teen/twenty-ish, though we could discuss it if you really want to be older. You can pick your starting powers but you won't have them at start, you'll get them in-game. Thus merits and flaws (any that are applicable from any WW game) and backgrounds should be chosen accordingly. Any of the above that deal with powers, I'll deal with on a case by case basis.

Chargen and House Rules:

I'm nixing the actual power level. It's just another number to keep up with, and it tends to gum up the works. Don't worry about APL.

Base power charge is equal to the highest bought power level, or 3, whichever is larger. You may increase power charge regularly (4bp's/lvl or 4 x current with xp).

Also nixing the primary/secondary/tertiary disctinction between powers, don't worry about it. Treat everything as if it's primary. I've found that the classification system he uses, can make a unified theme span 2 or even all three categories. So don't worry about those two things; should make book keeping a little easier.

Sinking plot-hooks into your character during creation could net you some extra points; ask me and I'll let you know. Anything that'll fit into my vision and help make things more interesting.

I may allow Power Potential to increase in game, but it won't be easy. Don't count on it. (suggested mid-range starting PP is 7-8)

I'm increasing the starting PP to 5 and reducing the freebie cost to 1 to increase PP.

The list of Talents/Skills/Knowledges from the Char sheet:

Quote:
Talents:

Alertness, Athletics, Blindfight, Brawl, Diplomacy, Dodge, Empathy, Expression, Fine control, Instruction, Intimidation, Intuition, Search, Sense Decep., Sensuality, Streetwise, Stun Man., Style, Subterfuge, Swimming, Tracking

Skills:

Acrobatics, Animal Ken, Climbing, Directed Blast, Disguise, Drive, Etiquette, Fast-Draw, Firearms, Leadership, Meditation, Melee, Missiles, Performance, Pilot, Repair, Security, Stealth, Survival, Technology

Knowledge:

Area Know., Bureaucracy, Computer, Culture, Enigmas, Genetics, Herbalism, History, Investigation, Law, Linguistics, Magic Lore, Medicine, Mutant Lore, Occult, Poisons, Politics, Powers Lore, Science, Sewer Lore, Theology

The rule for any talent/skill/knowledge you don't understand: if you can't find it in a sourcebook (as in an explanation of what it is), then don't worry about it, it won't come into play. Conversely, if you can find something in another WW sourcebook that you don't see here, feel free to add it.

In HtH fighting, if it's un-weaponed, it defaults to Brawl, unless specifically Martial Arts related. Also, dots in one, because of certian similarities, count half towards the other, to a max of 3.

There is a 3 dot max in any skill unless you can come up with a very convincing reason why someone under 25 would have more than a professional level of training/knowledge.

edit 7/29/09 After finding out how broken it is, the power 'Invincible Defense/Iron Gate' on pg 114 will not be obtainable by either PC's or NPC's.

• 2 months later...

Combat Rules

Reflexive Dodge:

Everybody gets a reflexive dodge roll, to show that most people don't like to get hit and instinctively try and get out of the way, plus that some people are just plain harder to hit. That roll is a Dex+Dodge and nothing else. Each attack after the first in a single round reduces one die from this, showing that it's harder to fight multiple opponents.

Soak:

Re-roll 10's. Also, full Stamina soak vs. Bashing and Lethal for mutants only.

Damage:

No aggravated damage, only bashing and lethal (and maybe stun... we'll see when it comes up)

Health Levels:

Standard Abby/WW/WoD health levels:

Healthy Bruised 0 Hurt -1 Injured -1 Wounded -2 Maimed -3 Crippled -4 Icap

Cinematic Fights:

Not all fights/spars/confrontation have to be rolled out. But there are some rules for cinematic fights. First decide 'threat level'. To do this take your damage dice pool, divide in half and subtract soak of opponent. If this number is still enough to one-shot, threat level is minimal. If it would take between 2 and 4 shots to incap/kill, threat level is nominal. If it takes 5 or more hits to incap/kill, threat level is high.

Cinematic fights go by a modified hit zone/LARP ruling. Zones are (head/neck/torso/groin/back) 1(min threat)/3(nom threat)/7(high threat) hits to incap, (hand/wrist/arm/shoulder) 1/3/7 hits to incap specific arm; further hits count against first zone, (foot/ankle/leg/knee/hip/butt) 1/3/7 hits to incap leg; target cannot walk; further hits only further mangle limb, 2x incap damage is irrepairable.

Archived